Reviews by KillerScent

Volutes by Diptyque

Diptyque at its best.
For the EDT.
This is a delicious combination of iris, honey, hay and tobacco, so well mixed that it's not cloying nor too sweet. On the contrary, Volutes is an elegant gourmandish scent, totally unisex. The egyptian tobacco note is one of the best tobacco notes I've ever smelled, deep and realistic.
Longevity is really good being an edt, I get +8 hours.
A total winner and a great Winter scent.
28th October, 2014

Cuir Mauresque by Serge Lutens

This is one of the worst fragrances I've ever smelled .This should not be called "Cuir", it smells like soft velvet .
Top notes are horrible , cough syrup+ glue is what I get .You want a true leather? Try Knize Ten, Cuir Ottoman or Cuir de Russie .
Mr Lutens , this is a stain in your catalogue .
26th October, 2012

Black Aoud by Montale

This starts so medicinal, as many Montale fragrances .Then comes a strong rose smell , like many old woman fragrances .The best part is the dry down , when that strong smell of rose disappears .
Longevity and projection are really good .
Yes , I would say this is quite dark or gothic .

Longevity: 10
Projection: 8
11th July, 2012

Black Oud by LM Parfums

It starts quite alcoholic and spiced , with a soft frankincense .Then it develops to a sweet-rosey oud .Finally it dries down towards a kind of animalic sandalwood .
This reminds me of L'Air du Desert Marocain with a touch of oud .This is not dark nor black .
Longevity is regular , taking into account that this is an extract of parfum .
Over-priced for what it is , 200 eur .
05th June, 2012

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

Why so much hype about this?? I can´t understand it .Another disappointment .This smells exactly 95% the same as the original A*Men .I don't find any whisky or malt here .
I would give this neutral thumbs , but because of the stupid hype this deserves thumbs down .Now I'll have to sell my bottle .
23rd May, 2012

Salvador Dali pour Homme by Salvador Dali

NOT dark , NOT gothic, NOT draculesque ... too much imagination .Nothing to do with Kouros .I get a kind of gasoline-alcohol start, but when it dries down you get a soappy-rose scent, not very manly .
31st March, 2012

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

Riduculous longevity and projection .Vaguely smokey , poor incense, almost no leather , not candlewax smoke ...This is not an innovation, it's very common .
31st March, 2012

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

NOT dark , NOT vampirical, NOT obscure, NOT powerhouse ....This is another soappy fragrance mixed with rose .
It smells like an old lady parfum , too much rose ; nothing manly here .I do not smell leather neither castoreum here .
Rdiculous longevity and proyection .
27th March, 2012

Fleur du Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

This is a darker version of Le Male . I agree with Darvant in that this smells pharmaceutical . Dead flowers, soapy, , quite old woman scent ...
Longevity and projection are similar to Le Male , in other words , great .But I can't imagine a man wearing this .Instead I picture a middle-age woman.
10th February, 2012

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

As others say , this smells quite old , but I prefer it to other old-school fragrances like Antaeus or Pour Monsieur .Obsession is very strong at first splash , but when it dries down it turns more werable and subtle, keeping an animalic manly touch with notes of amber and musk .
Great longevity and average projection .
10th February, 2012

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

The best form Gaultier's fragrances ( in my opinion) .This EDP smells quite strong , I would not say this is unisex , it's more manly .
It smells of amber , caramel , vanilia , musk ... with a waxy touch similar to that in Terre d'Hermes .It also has that touch of liquor that gives it strength and masculinity .
Projection is really good , being an EDP (taking into account that EDTs use to project better), and longevity is really good .
09th February, 2012 (last edited: 27th February, 2012)

Eau de Rochas Homme by Rochas

I agree with most of the reviews .Super fresh fragrance , incredibly citrus , lovely lime , aquatic...
The only bad thing about this is the short longevity and moderate projection .Anyway , a good fragrance , and a reference to any fresh fragrance .
13th January, 2012

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This has nothing to do with the original Kouros .I don't know which came before , but Body Kouros smells almost the same as Armand Basi Homme .(both were launched in the year 2000). I prefer the Armand Basi one , it's cheaper .
It also smells quite similar to Bulgari Black , with a kind of rubbery tone , soft incense , more sweet ...
Not bad but neither impressive
13th January, 2012

F pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

Another fragrance in the line of Allure Homme , La Nuit de L'Homme...
Very sweet , with a spicy pepper note that tingles your nose , but with a very feminine touch .
If you want a good modern pepper fragrance try Bang
10th January, 2012

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

I know Sauvage has a lot of positive reviews , but I have to disagree.
If I were a man living in the 60's this would be a great fragrance .I know this was really good for some decades , but nowadays it's a bit out of date ...
Before it starts to dry down to the final, base notes , you get an interesting and lovely lemon note, like those from the baby fragrances (Nenuco) .After this , you get a soapy smell, typical from all these kind of old fragrances , like Grey Flannel ...
A masterpiece? maybe in this category of old fragrances .
I would not wear this today , there are more interesting fragrances .
10th January, 2012

Kenzo Power by Kenzo

Not power .
This is a slight , feminine floral fragrance .Not manly .
No more to say.

Terre d'Hermès Parfum by Hermès

A slight variation from the EDT .
In this one , the orange and grapefruit notes are more present and stronger , but it loses the earthy-ozonic touch of the EDT .
Projection is worse than the EDT and longevity is not impressive , being a parfum .
I really love the EDT , it projects better and is strong .

Bang Bang by Marc Jacobs

This is an almost totally different smell form the original Bang.
To my nose , this fragrance basically smells like orange, specially at the top and mid notes , and pepper , also present in the original fragrance .This is more herbal and slight.
I prefer the original Bang .Anyway , this is a good fragrance .

Only The Brave by Diesel

I totally agree with the bad reviews.
This is a totally boring, fresh synthetic herbal, cheap smell, quite feminine .... To my nose this is a slight variation from Diesel's other boring fragrance , Fuel for Life .
The only good part in this is the great projection.

7 de Loewe by Loewe

Another MASTERPIECE from Loewe, known for the great quality of the materials in their fragrances .
As the name itself, this fragrance contains 7 notes , not the 9 above (according to Loewe's parfums director) : Neroli , Incense, Cedar, Pepper, Red Apple, Musk and Vetiver.
This is a stong church-incense based fragrance, mixed with herbal notes , quite linear but really interesting .
Incredible longevity and projection . I sprayed only one splash on one sleeve of my coat and 5 days after the smell continues there and people around me notices its projection.
The incense note is really strong , much more than Gucci pour Homme.

A must have.

Eau d'Ikar by Sisley

Eau d'Ikar smells very soft , a mix of bitter citrus and herbal/floral .It starts with a blast of citrus , lemon , bergamot , lime ... , then it dries down towards a soft floral amber scent .
It reminds me of a soft version of Un Jardin sur Le Toit by Hermes.
This is quite feminine, not for the average man .
Longevity is regular and projection is very poor .
I'm disappointed , I expected a more oriental fragrance .Thumbs down!!
11th November, 2011 (last edited: 23rd April, 2012)

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

Another A*Men flanker .This is basically the same scent as the original , with a slight touch of tobacco , and a variation in the quantity of vanilla and chocolate .
This reminds me of Burberry London plus vanilla and chocolate (and more longevity/projection , of course) .
11th November, 2011

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

One of the most underrated fragrances .
This is a great fragrance, oriental , sweet , manly ... I expected it would be another disgusting old school, but how glad I am to discover how wonderful this fragrance is .
At the first notes I clearly smell blackcurrant instead of anise .When it dries down you get a spicy scent , with pepper and vanilla .
Very formal scent , not for old people nor for young .
The EDP is much worse to my nose, it smells like olives, I prefer the EDT.
The price is very good, almost a bargain .
The bad part is that longevity is regular(about 2-3 hours) and projection is poor .
Anyway , a good fragrance.
11th November, 2011

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

Great scent , at first notes you get a mix of aniseed and resinous-like smell .When it dries down, the aniseed remains and you also get a sweet smell . with vanilla as the dominant note .
This is very similar to Le Male, but much better, more manly .Longevity is great and projection is average .
Great unknown
21st October, 2011

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

This is a soft version of Gucci pour homme , without the incense touch .
As with Gucci , it smells like some kind of liquor .Being a desingner fragrance I find it classic and manly , without that old touch of many powerhouses .
Longevity on my skin is about 6-8 hours , but projection is nearly absent .If this pojected more and were stonger , Dirty English would be fantastic and a masterpiece.
Anyway , this is a good fragrance.
Motorbikes?? bad boys??? are you that kind of people who judge a book for its cover??
NOT DIRTY .You want something dirty? try Fahrenheit.

07th October, 2011 (last edited: 15th January, 2012)

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

At first it smells like an old pharmacy, like a grandpa's closet .It's very similar to Bel Ami .
Leather? where????? you want to smell leather? Try Bulgari Black or Fahrenheit .
Only after 2-3 hours you get a smell of incense , which is the best part of this fragrance.
Longevity is great , as well as the projection.
07th October, 2011 (last edited: 11th November, 2011)

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

Fruity explosion . You know, when you mix many colors , what do you get? black (or nearly black) .
Whith this fragrance I have the same feeling , you get a hit of fruits at first splash, hard to distinguish, then it turns into a woody drydown .
Not manly , it could be perfectly a women's fragrance .
12th September, 2011

Blu Mediterraneo Capri Orange / Arancia Di Capri by Acqua di Parma

What a waste of money .And the worst thing is that this is EXPENSIVE
Yes, at first splash you get a great orange/mandarin hit ... and no more .After an hour you smell nothing .
This fragrance has one of the POOREST LONGEVITY I have tested .And the same to the projection : absent .
If you want to smell good orange fragrances try Hermés
06th August, 2011

Must de Cartier Pour Homme by Cartier

Many people say Kouros to smell like dirty underwear .Have you smelled this? All my friends have the same opinion : dirty dirty underpants . I can't remember whether the version I tried was this or the concentrated one . I like it .Weird scent .Strrong.
06th August, 2011

Déclaration by Cartier

Declaration and Terre d'Hermes = two modern masterpieces .Who made them? the master Jean Claude Ellena .Be sure that in a few decades these two fragrances will gain the prestige that time gives (as it happened to Fahrenheit, Kouros, Poison....)
Declaration is not the typical fresh citrus fragrance .It has a spicy touch that gives it a warm feel , while still feeling fresh and watery .
This is an elegant fragrance , sexy at the same time , suitable for both formal and informal ocassions .
It has good longevity but it lacks is projection, nobody around you will notice that you are wearing it. What a pity!!! I don't know why many good scents have a poor longevity while many horrible fragrances are overpowering and offensive.

Many mainstream fragrances made for the mass market become popular because of massive and persuasive advertsiment campaings during many years (Aqua di Gio, Armani Code, Le Male, CK One, 212, DKNY...) .The truly masterpieces don't need this. You won't see ads everywhere (TV, magazines, subway, internet ...) They are like hidden jewels, waiting to be discovered .Declaration is one of these jewels.
29th June, 2011 (last edited: 06th August, 2011)