Reviews by steveharrisonmc

Soul by Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

Top notes like Mugler, Bottom like Pleasures by Lauder.

Not impressive. Annoying to be frank.

02 January, 2007

Unforgivable by Sean John

I took a spray on my left wrist. Sillage was poor, the top note was a clear citrus fruit note (tangerine?). I checked back in 2 hours. Nothing. Gone. Granted I had been working out for an hour. However this is supposedly a summer time fragrance. I sweat far less in the gym with AC then in the 90 degree heat of the south. VERY DISSAPOINTING. No real dry down, nothing. Just gone after 2 hours. I expected better from Sean Combs. I guess his fragrance is like his music.

27 December, 2006

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Having had the chance to wear the fragrance 2x. Here are my thoughts. First I think this thing has a rather annoying opening. It's not bad it's just so boring and played out. It smells like orange cleaner. However the key is in the dry down. Once the olive and tonka/wood come out this thing becomes a new fragrance. It has good sillage. It isn't over bearing but it will give just a hint to anyone close by. I love that effect. Love the drydown and squeezed at least a good 7 or 8 hours out of this one.

27 December, 2006

Douce Amère by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Wow...

When I first tested this I liked it. Now that I own it I absolutely love it. Being that is' from Lutens, it had great staying power. However it is an oriental gourmand. It is so unique yet so utterly delicious. I only wish that it had strong sillage because others should be able to enjoy smelling this absolutely wonderful scent. Perfect for a night out or a dinner date.

08 December, 2006

L'Anarchiste by Caron

DELIGHTFUL.

Wow. I can't help but rave about this one. It's so complex. It has some clean, a little spice, some dirty masculinity that just makes me love myself. It's reminds me of metal. I love L'Anarchiste.

21st August, 2006

Angéliques Sous La Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Earthy, very earthy. It does have a reappearing act that I thought was unique, however the notes to me don't project as pleasant rather it's a curious, intriguing sort. A nice fragrance to sample, but I don't think I could recommend buying it.

16 August, 2006

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

The top notes last forever and produce a sweet, refreshing scent (albeit over sweet at tiems) that is great for late nights. The Lotus really does produce a tranquiling effect and the Frankencense and Sycamore leave a subtle sweet wood to enjoy. I applied mine at 7:00 last night, it is no 8:45 in the morning and can still smell the residue on my t shirt. The fragrance lasted at least 4 good hours on my skin and was still going strong when I went to sleep. It will probably go for 6-7 total on my skin which isn't bad.

11th August, 2006

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

For a citrus I was surprised at how long the fragrance lasts. It gave me a good 6 hours solid from just a sample wipe. It starts off with a clear citrus blast of mandarin with the patchouli needling from underneath and as it try downs it becomes a little less sharp and more rounded. Very classy.

08 August, 2006

Sandalwood Cologne by Geo F Trumper

Absolutely wonderful. Simple notes with an outstanding result. Starts off with a citrusy, spicy sweet quality that reminds me of a glass of fresh juice, then mellows into a garden of white roses and finishes with a slightly sweet, woody stroke of brilliance.

07 August, 2006

Corduroy by Zirh

I was really shocked when I first smelled this one. I thought it would be lousy and then the smell seemed familiar. I thought about it and the fragrance came to me. It reminded me of the L'Artisan drydown that I love so much. The Tonka and Cinnamon are wonderful together. You smell like a delicious cake straight from the oven and it lasts a good 7 hours on my skin. Thumbs up.

19 January, 2006

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

I like this one. It's actually a rather unique fragrance. Although they fluff up their notes to make it sound more exotic than it really is, it has a nice top note of dates which blends nicely with the spices and the coriander to give it some pop. On dry down it has a slight vanilla/amber combination that sits calmly radiating a warmth and sweetness that I find to be very alluring. Thumbs up.

14 January, 2006

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Another hit by L'Artisan. Tea for Two starts with a mix of tea and that rubbery accourd (leather?). It keeps that tea note in the middle and blends in a dose of cinnamon and another sweet honeyish note. The bottom has a vanilla aroma that's balanced good by a peppery tone (ginger?). Excellent fragrance.

10th January, 2006

Citron Citron by Miller Harris

Wow. Wow. What a great Citrus fragrance. It is clean and fresh yet in no way synthetic. The mint combines with the citrus top notes to form a beautiful aroma. The only drawback is the weak base notes. They smell nice but are gone too quickly. This one only lasts me about 5/6 hours but the first 4 are heavenly. Thumbs up.

08 January, 2006

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I'll give it a thumbs up based on the creativity and the dry down. I didn't like the top leather note. All leather. Too much. However the dry down was cinnamon and a little spice with slight leather. Manly yet yielding. Nice.

Geir by Geir Ness

I tried this the other day and like the others...I loved it. It has a beautiful aroma to it. It's sensitive yet not overly so. Reminded me of Xeryus Rouge in its scent, but with a slighter woodsy/aquatic base. It's floraly but very pleasent. Thumbs up...way up.

Reserve by Perry Ellis

I think its ok. Smelled better on paper then on my skin. Starts off with a slightly floral, slightly fruity scent that has hints of spices and woods that stand out on dry down. Wearable but not exceptional.

Méchant Loup by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I liked this. It didn't wow me. However it was well put together and gave me some spice, some sweet a little smoke and some woods. None stood out among them because they were so well blended.

Gendarme by Gendarme

YAWWWWNNNNNN. Boring. You could layer this with Ivory Soap. Clean and Soapy. It wore off quickly on my skin. I'm going to give it a 2nd run, but I was unimpressed.

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Clean, Grassy, with a hint of citrus. If you want to smell clean without smelling like a generic tweener this is a good choice. Well blended fragrance.

Himalaya by Creed

Himalaya is a great fragrance for anyone at anytime. It's light and clean enough to be worn in the summer, but in no way smells synthetic. It's easy to wear and highly unoffensive. In spite of these clean qualities it has a subtle allure to it that is just inspiring. It's only drawback for me was that it was somewhat short lived on my skin.

06 January, 2006

Musk by Lorenzo Villoresi

A very good scent. Starts out with a strong floral scent that is not overpoweringly sweet because of the creamy musk base. The scent fades into a warm inviting scent that is a must have. The best part is that it is lasting. 2 very very small daps on my wrist lasted over 6 hours noticeably.

09 December, 2005

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Thumbs up. This is an absolute quality fragrance. It starts off with a woody/citrus blast that is masculine yet clean. Then as it drys down it turns into a very nice calm smooth green notes that's just sweet enough without becoming feminine. I love this stuff and can't wait to get a whole bottle. Thumbs up...way up.

05 December, 2005

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is a good fragrance. Not a 5* must own for me, but it's solid. It starts out with a strong top note that reminds me of burning wood with a slight hint of a fruit note. As it dries down though a sweet note emerges from the amber and it produces a very cool yet classy note. It has a good scent. This one you have to try on your skin because the top note will turn many people off, but the mid and base notes are worth it.

05 December, 2005

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

I finally got M7 after hearing the clamor and I will say this...you have to test it. The paper does no justice.

M7 starts out as a very spicy blend as the oriental top notes and the Agarwood and Musk form a powerful punch that oozes masculinity. As the top notes die down a very pleasent yet powerful scent emerges as the Amber and Mandrake start to come out. It is a beautiful fragrance that will please young (I'm 21) and old. A classic. It was also very reasonably priced as my bottle only cost me $25.

04 December, 2005

Subtil pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

Incredible top note. That's pretty much the only really good thing about it. It is not very strong (I need about 3 spritzes). It does not last very long (4-5 hours). It also has a horribly deisgned bottle that never sprays where I want it to. The dry down is way too subtle. If you don't like strong colognes, this is for you.

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

Very sweet and strong. It has a nice smell too it, but it can be overbearing. I think its a good cologne, but its too fruity for some. Fall only, becomes too strong in the summer.

Pi by Givenchy

Pi is a great overall fragrance. It has a good mix of citrus and vanilla to begin with, then it fades down into a nice vanilla scent. It also has great staying power (works over 10 hours for me). You only need one spray of this stuff, it is potent. Strong recommendation if you like sweet scents.

Aquaman by Rochas

Very strong and peppery scent. Good for the summers. Very casual. However the fragrance can be overpowering at times.