Reviews by Stu

Stu's avatar
    Stu

DKNY Be Delicious Men by Donna Karan

I wore this for awhile and then stopped all of a sudden and decided I just didn't much care for the scent as much as when I first purchased it. Not really unpleasant but it still sits on the bureau gathering dust. I haven't decided if I will wear it again. I for some reason think I smell sorta funky when I wear this for some odd reason. Don't quite know how to explain it but I just decided one day I didn't want to wear this one anymore and have more than half a bottle left. Won't buy again.

08 August, 2008

Givenchy pour Homme Blue Label by Givenchy

I have a bottle that I've owned for several years and don't wear it often. It smells ok on me but there's not much to say about it it. It's just okay. I like Pi better. Purchased it on sale and thought it nice enough to buy on sale.

13 July, 2008

Gendarme by Gendarme

Have always enjoyed this and always will!! Not much else to say. Clean, clean, clean. Not much staying power but it's nice enough.

07 July, 2008

cK one Summer by Calvin Klein

Have to admit I still love this after all these years. Refreshing as raindrops on the skin and the drydown is blissful. Still get asked what I'm wearing and it lasts.

What About Adam by Joop!

I thought this was discontinued. Glad I checked here. I enjoyed this scent, especially the top notes, and will buy it again. I can wear it and well, so if you can wear something and get compliments do you - no matter what others think.

Time for Peace for Him by Kenzo

What I remember smelling about this fragrance was that I was calmed but I agree that it didn't last long that was the only drawback. You'd need a mini to freshen up with. Other than that a beautiful fragrance.

Nightflight by Joop!

I enjoyed the bottle I did have of it. I owned it once and had no complaints. Nothing particularly special but nothing objectionable. Would I purchase again? If I found an incredible sale price, then perhaps yes.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

I have always had differences of feeling about Joop since I first smelled it years ago. It was attractive on so many people but so many people (you know who you are) wore so much of it and probably still do. Then when I tried it it didn't work on me to my dismay. although it was still a strong fragrance. When it smells great on someone it smells great on them and when it doesn't it doesn't I guess as with most anyone. If I could wear it I would but just can't but will give a thumbs up for those who can.

Hollywood for Men by Fred Hayman

Given as a gift I enjoy it from time to time. Others tend to like it on me actually more than I do so I wear it for them more than me. I agree it is more for evening wear than for office wear.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

I've enjoyed most of Bulgari's fragrance except for this one. For the life of me I can't grasp the idea of why someone would wish to smell like burnt rubber/tar/smoke or wet animal, which all these things evoke when I smell this. It smells like you've ridden on the back on the tailpipe of a bus. This is just awful stuff. In my opinion there is nothing refreshing or sweet about this one except the joy in being able to have something cold soap or body wash to get rid of the smell and open windows to permeate the room. Just god awful. I am thankful though that so many don't seem to know about this hidden gem and don't wear it too often as say "Angel".

Sheer Obsession by Calvin Klein

Lighter than the original but just as wonderful to smell - I always think of the cartoons where the dog catches a whiff of something wonderful and floats through the air after it. This is just that beautiful (IMO of course).

Jungle pour Homme by Kenzo

I expected rich, dark and deep from something called Jungle pour Homme, rain forest immediately came to mind. Nothing came out of this bottle but disattisfaction. I just washed it off. It seems to be something teenagers would enjoy wearing imo than adults. I went to another website and the women said that if you wanted something exotic and spicy try Kenzo's Jungle for Women which I plan to for they said it could easily be unisex. and although I'm not a hugh licorice or anise fan I'll at least purchase a 1.7 or mini. I can't imagine being more diappointed than after having laid out my hard earned jacks for this bottle.

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

As I plan to reorganize my home this weekend, shred papers and mop the floors I'll be talking a bath or two and a splashing some of this on for fun to keep cool since it's been quite hot here in New York lately. I love the fragrance and it's cooling and refreshing and I couldn't care if it created in 1792 or 1192, it smells good to me.

Noa by Cacharel

Although I didn't care much for the girl who wore this, the Noa I must say smelled wonderful on her. Pleasing to my oflactory senses and I couldn't get enough of smelling it on her. Only sour note was that she wasn't a more pleasant person. Do love the frangance

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

Nice enough fragrance, although with the anise not my absolute favorite.

Jude_C: Your comment re: Tommy I just don't quite get. Do you mean Hilfiger, Bahama? While I don't buy those if someone does I could care less. I enjoy some of Klein as well. Aren't we all adults and don't we all have the right to choose our own fragrances as do you? Just curious.

23 June, 2008 (Last Edited: 13 July, 2008)

Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren

I enjoy this as much if not more than the original RL Black and have even refreshed the original Black with the mini Double Black at my mother's funeral. What an occassion to have to wear this but I could think of nothing else more approprriate to wear to a funeral. I have about 30 bottles but many are too musky at the basenotes or the top notes too fresh to have worn. This did it. Will wear this one again and again and I tell people what I am wearing because I am complimented often and constantly asked what it is and it isn't worn by everyone out there which is something I also like.

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

I've enjoyed this from day one since I've worn this and will wear it again and again although I haven't smelled Roberto Cavelli Black which I've told smells better to many.

Jovan White Musk for Men by Jovan

Light, clean and lovely to smell. So sorry it's been discontinued. Will buy as long as I can find it. Not as harsh as Jovan's regular musk.

The Dreamer by Versace

I've only worn this for a few years but I'm glad a woman I worked with told me to try it. As with most people I agree the top notes start off strong but once it settles down it is absolutely wonderful and the drydown is absolutely one of the best around. I've had people, even other men tell me they don't like wearing fragrances but have asked what I am wearing because they love the smell of this. This was after 2 or 3 hours of my having the fragrance on, not at the beginning though. I will wear this continually for it is one of my favorites and is my favorite by this fragrance house.

22 May, 2008

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

I've never cared for this after trying it on myself or smelling it on anyone else. If I can't enjoy it on me or anyone else there's no point in wearing it or purchasing it to me. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I'd possibly lie and say I were wearing it if I had on Polo Double Black and someone asked what I had on and then I might say Safari.

19 May, 2008

Animale Animale for Men by Animale Parfums

Smells pretty much the same as Amen for men - horrible - but much less expensive so if you for some reason like the smell of Angel buy this and go ahead and save money.

19 May, 2008

Halston 1-12 by Halston

Miss this fragrance. Once of the first I owned and was happy to wear it. Can still find it but it doesn't smell the same anymore.

06 May, 2008

Magnetism for Men by Escada

I purchased this one and used to wear it but applied some the other day and found it feels very feminine and perhaps should have been made as a unisex fragrance.

Colours for Men by Alexander Julian

Well, after going to perfumeemporium's website and all the positive reviews there and seeing it was discontinued I bought a few minis and now wish I hadn't. They smell awful. Maybe they've sat too long and just have gone bad. They certainly don't smell distinguished, clean or freh and with a hint of fresh flowers. I will never wear them and am thinking of putting them on the doorsteps of my apartment complex and I'm someone will come along and pick them up as they will be free of charge.

Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Unfortunately, I purchased blindly as did a few others and that's such a dumb thing to do. Sometimes you get lucky sometimes you don't. In this case I didn't. It sits in my drawer stinking. I tried again today to give it another chance and oh boy does it smell. Oh I certainly can smell fecal notes in this as someone earlier posted mentioned. Interesting and complex doesn't begin to describe the odor. There are many adjectives that come to mind to describe this one. I can't imagine giving it away because I don't know anyone who would want to smell like this.

04 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 25 June, 2008)

Royal Copenhagen Musk by Royal Copenhagen

One of the first fragrances I ever purchased and still evokes many memories for me as well. I would actually wear it again.

Reaction for Men by Kenneth Cole

I used to love this fragrance but after discussing it with someone else who wore it decided there was something in the drydown that smelled almost bitter or chemically, that's the only way I know how to describe it. I haven't worn it over two years. Before that it was a daily wear for me but I was noticing something it the drydown and wondered if it was just me but someone else was noticing the same thing so at least I realized it wasn't just me and I didn't feel like I was on Gilligan's Island by myself. I don't know what it could be because it says there's only Sandalwood and musk in the drydown but something was goin on.

Desire for a Man by Dunhill

I wore this several years ago and then stopped. Put it on again the other day and forgot how loud it could be. It's so syrupy sweet in the beginning but the drydown is pleasant enough. Wouldn't wear every day but from time to time. In 2002 it was over over used. Now that you don't smell it quite as much maybe I'll take it out again.

Anthracite pour L'Homme by Jacomo

Really is a shame this was discontinued and all that's left is a mess.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Standing waiting for the train to arrive a beautiful woman starts walking towards me. She had to be 20 feet away and yet there was no mistaking the Angel she had on wrapping itself around me like tentacles. To my horror she got on the same subway car and sat directly across from me. My eyes began to burn and stomach wanted to heave, so heavy and cloying was this fragrance. Both versions of Angel I wish could be outlawed in the U.S. Luckily it wasn't rush hour and I had to get up and move away to another seat far away from her. Pity because other than her fragrance choice she was beautiful to look at. I really can't give this enough thumbs down.

03 May, 2008