Reviews by Stuffman

Stuffman's avatar
    Stuffman

Ambre Canelle by Creed

I don't know if perhaps I've sampled too many fragrances today, or if the bottle at the Sak's Fifth Avenue in Pittsburgh was off (it wasn't there a month ago and was mostly full, so it probably wasn't), but this was nothing like what I expected it to be.

At first whiff, it seemed to lie somewhere in the generic continuum between Youth Dew and Chanel No. 5, full of powder with no discernible masculinity whatsoever. As the scent dried down, the most prominent note to my nose was rose, overlayed on delicate powder with traces of cinnamon. The ambergris and tonka are noticeable only by a vague smoothness and roundness in the base tying it all together.

I'm disappointed that it's not something I can wear.

But on the other hand, saying that it "lie[s] somewhere in the generic continuum between Youth Dew and Chanel No. 5" is no dig whatsoever- as both are stellar fragrances, and this one in particular lies above any other fragrances between the two. The rose note is beautifully rendered in the way only Creed can do florals, and the delicate, clean powder ties well into the subtle ambergris base. Overall, it's a stunning composition, but I'm afraid many won't take the time to appreciate its subtleties.

28 December, 2008

Amalfi Flowers by Creed

I had the good fortune to sample this at Sak's, and I must say it is extremely nice. The floral notes are extremely nice and so well blended that it's hard to fault this fragrance at all, and the subtle ginger counterpoint and patchouli make it extremely interesting. It's not so feminine that a man couldn't pull it off, but I'd love to smell this on a beautiful woman. It'd be hard to keep my hands off of her, though!

06 December, 2007

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

Eh... at least this tries to be somewhat original with it's "Iced Mango" notes and all. Unfortunately, it just never finds its groove and ends up being confused about what it wants to be. What it isn't, though, is "Black." I don't know why they chose the moniker, but it just doesn't fit. Maybe Double Black will be good? I'm not holding my breath...

13 August, 2006

Good Life by Davidoff

I'd have to say I was never really a fan of "green" fragrances, but I've been warming up to them lately. I saw Good Life on sale at TJ Maxx, so I picked it up blind after reading all the good reviews (it was less than $15 after my employee discount). The opening is very green and cool at the same time, and it reminds me of eating a Key Lime Pie on a freshly-cut lawn. The top notes hang on for a while, and eventually smooth out, yet remain full-bodied and rich and hints of florals become apparent.

I suffer from olfactory fatigue badly with this one- at first I thought the longevity was poor, but I received a complement many hours after I thought the scent had disappeared. Overall, this is a very high-quality scent that will see much use in the spring and summer in my wardrobe.

13 August, 2006

Baldessarini by Baldessarini

A very refined, crisp scent for the summer. Very masculine without being in your face, something probably attributatble to its lightness. It's not without fault, however- it's only Eau de Cologne strength, and lasts but an hour and a half on my skin. I was able to find the "Prestige" silver bottle at TJ Maxx for only $20, but it's hard for me to justify spending more on a scent that is so fleeting. Still, if you need to smell great for only a short while, Baldessarini is a great choice.

22 June, 2006

Blue Jeans by Versace

Great scent, though a bit short lasting. On first spray, there "Citrus Cocktail" notes smell almost exactly like Pledge Lemon Furnature Polish. It's not necessarily a bad thing, since I quite like that smell, but it's very fleeting and lasts but a few minutes. Underneath, there are hints of cinnamon and cardamom, though they are not listed as notes (it may just be the nutmeg and floral notes). The scent is quite light, and very casual. Though it'd be great year round, it seems to shine best in the heat of summer. Oh, and it has one of the best packages I can think of.

18 June, 2006

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

A terrific woman's scent. Extraordinarily creamy and lush with soft fruit and floral notes. I always enjoy smelling this one on the ladies, and I can't wait to see how the men's version turns out. It's been awhile, but finally a new winner by Calvin Klein.

18 June, 2006

Curve Chill for Men by Liz Claiborne

Let's see... being in the Curve family, you should know not to expect anything groundbreaking. Basically, it's the same old Curve accord, supposedly with notes of green tea, white pepper, and citrus. What it ends up being is a fragrance that smells like bath soap scented with original Curve. You're not missing anything...

Voyage by Nautica

If you like Curve, you'll like this one- it's the same thing, but dyed blue and badged as Nautica. You're not missing anything.

True Star Men by Tommy Hilfiger

This one is interesting on my skin- basically, it just smells like wet bamboo stalks, but in a good way. The other notes don't really ever show up as I'd expect. Sometimes I can make out hints of them (the saffron most of all), but the wet bamboo is always there. It's actually quite nice on a really, really hot day, but otherwise, it's pretty forgetable.

Guess Man by Guess

Usually the department-store fragrances don't do it for me, but I have a soft spot for this one. It seems like it oculd be a distant relative of Claiborne's Curve and Creed's Millesime Imperial, but it's far enough away that it will never be mistaken for either. There is a strong green apple note (not listed on Basenote's pyramid, but it's most definately there) that is very refreshing, and fortunately it's not a horrible synthetic apple note like DKNY's Be Delicious or Kenneth Cole Reaction. Notes of Lavender make it reminiscent of Curve, but don't worry, this is much better (as if it's hard to be...). The White Pepper, Ginger Root, and Nutmeg are very subtle, as are the woods, but provide a lot of depth to the blend. It dries down to a lovely white musk, seemingly inspired by Millesime Imperial, though it can't approach MI's sublime drydown, it's darn close for a fraction of the price. I was able to pick it up at TJ Maxx for $24 (2.5oz) after employee discount, about half of what it costs at the department stores. Even full price, it's pretty decent, but if you can get it for cheap, then don't pass it up. Excellent for the summer!

Francesco Smalto pour Homme by Francesco Smalto

I saw this on sale at my local TJ Maxx, and saw it had quite a few positive reviews. I picked it up and put it on... and truthfully I wasn't very impressed. It sort of smelled like a cheap aftershave or something from when I was a kid. But I didn't give up on it- within minutes, I started to notice the fragrances subtle nuances, and realized that it wasn't as simple as I first noted. It's really quite complex and deep, though a bit "green" for my tastes. For the price, it's really a quality scent.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

One of my all-time favorites. The scent is very dynamic, and wears well in most all weather (though I prefer it on cooler days, along with rainy days in the summer). At times, it can be a very rich and liquidy, and other times dry and woody. Definately a try-before-you-buy type scent, but even if you don't like it, you have to respect it for it's unique aroma.

Romance for Men by Ralph Lauren

I don't know, maybe I got a bad sample, but whenever I wear this, it smells like pickle juice and urine. Yet another RL scent that doesn't do it for me.

Visit by Azzaro

Wonderful scent in an equally wonderful bottle. I absolutely adore the Pink Pepper and Gaiacwood notes in the one, though at times the pepper may be a bit strong. This one is perfect for cool and rainy days, though it works well in most weather. The bottle is a work of art as well, with its laser-etched metal top, wonderful shape, and well-integrated spray mechanism.

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

A unique and wonderful blend, and a powerhouse in sillage and longevity (especially for an EdT). The blackcurrant note is wonderful and at once avoids the citrus notes we are all used to smelling in nearly every fragrance, yet isn't at all out of place. The spices are strong yet lovely, and the basenotes are subtle yet supply a sturdy foundation. Truly a classic, just don't overdo it!

Escada Homme by Escada

It's a shame if this one gets overlooked. It's sweet in almost a gourmand way, but also intensely masculine. It's not a sickly-sweet that you get with some scents, but sweet in a cognac and expensive tobacco sort of way. The notes all work very well together to create a unique and sublime fragrance that shouldn't be missed. The best part is that it's fairly cheap and can be found at TJ Maxx and the likes.

Envy for Men by Gucci

Very good scent, and there's not much I can say that hasn't already been said. It's a wonderful blend, and it's very versatile. It doesn't last very long on me, but most scents don't. This one should be in any oriental lover's wardrobe.

Magnetism for Men by Escada

Quite a unique fragrance here, and it's hard to describe. I don't really get any grape note per se, but I can "imagine" one in there, if that makes any sense. Magnetism is fairly sweet, but it's also light and works well in all weather. The musky base reminds me very much of Diesel Zero Plus- they could almost be twin twin brothers, the Zero Plus being sharp and spicy, the Magnetism being sweet and somewhat woody. Overall, a great fragrance, and a beautiful bottle to boot.

07 June, 2006

Joop! Homme by Joop!

This is some interesting juice right here. It strongly reminds me of Dior Poison (the original, not one of the countless remakes) for women. It's much lighter than Poison, sort of like the "top half" of it, if you will. This stuff is ultra potent- I couldn't even imagine what an EdP version would smell like. Most scents don't last long on me, but Joop! stays around forever. It's an interesting blend that's not suited to everyone's tastes, but I like it quite a bit.

06 April, 2006

Chrome by Azzaro

A decent scent; nice and fresh without those synthetic "fresh" notes that are popping up in everything these days. The problem is, it lasts all of five minutes on my skin. After that, I have to put my nose to my wrist just to get the slightest whiff. If it lasted longer on me, I think I'd consider adding this to my wardrobe.

06 April, 2006

Soul by Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

Oh boy... another Curve. What's new about this one? Not much, other than a disproportionate increase in price to the added depth, complexity, and lasting power of the original Curve. I wasn't a fan of the original, so it's so surprise I'm not a fan of this one either. It is, however, better than the original, though not by much. It's a bit more refined with a more solid base, but unless you are a huge Curve fan, you're not missing anything.

16 March, 2006

Tommy Bahama for Men by Tommy Bahama

A good scent, but it's something I can't wear. I can't really explain it, but it literally hurts my nose when I smell it- almost like a dagger going through it or something- but at the same time, I find myself wanting to keep smelling it. It's very, very dry in nature and it seems like something that would be good on a very hot, humid night.

09 March, 2006

Unforgivable by Sean John

What a shame... this fragrance is nearly an exact ripoff of Creed's Millesime Imperial, right down to the "Mediterranean Air Accord." The only difference is that this smells cheap and synthetic, while Millesime Imperial smells natural, and MI's drydown is orders of magnitude better than this. That they would so blatantly rip off Creed is, well, Unforgivable.

09 March, 2006

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

This one's in a league of its own. When worn correctly, its gourmand notes are truly sublime, and depending on how much you wear, sure to attract attention. There is a critical issue with this scent, however- the way you apply it determines whether it smells sublime or repulsive. If sprayed too close to the body in small, concentrated "patches," it tends to give off a burnt, putrid smell. If sprayed far away and allowed to cover a large area, the scent will be much more smooth and smell just truly fantastic. If you have a sample vial that doesn't spray, don't even bother- there's no way you can put it on right without spraying it. A little goes a long way, and the scent seems to last forever. Definately something worth checking out.

09 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 14 June, 2006)

Stetson by Stetson

Stetson is the only thing my dad wears. It's distinctive, but it lacks depth and complexity. The drydown is pretty nice but again, it's pretty simple and really doesn't present much depth. The patchouli seems to dominate the fragrance on my skin, and it's not particularly my favorite scent (but I don't exactly dislike it either). Basically, I'll put it this way: it's a cheap cologne and it smells like it.

25 February, 2006

Obsession by Calvin Klein

Obsession is probably the most deeply rooted fragrance in my memory. I'm a fairly young guy, and my mom was young when she had me. My parents divorced when I was 3, and my mom eventually got back into the dating pool. This was in the mid-eighties, and Obsession was her perfume of choice. I remember being able to smell it throughout the house when she put it on- it wasn't that she oversprayed or anything, it's just that it is that strong and distinctive. I remember smelling it as she'd tuck me into bed, and it would put me at peace and I'd quickly succumb to sleep. That was years ago and really before I had started to develop a "nose." I found a mostly-used bottle stored in a cool, dark closet at home, so I gave my forearm a quick spray. It wasn't the Obsession I remember- in fact, it bore a strong resemblance to my all-time favorite scent, Creed's Acier Aluminum. I knew something was wrong, and it dawned on me that the bottle had been sitting there forever and could use a good shaking up to get everything to mix again. Another spray... yup, that's the Obsession I remember- A heady floral with some powdery notes, with hints of citrus. It somehow manages to a very dark scent without really being really dark at all... I know that doesn't make sense, but it's just the way the powdery florals interact with the other notes. It's hard to explain, but it's really something special. The only downside is that as much as I love this note, if any lady my age were to wear it, I don't know how I'd react... it'd be hard for me to be attracted to it when it so deeply reminds me of my mother.

25 February, 2006

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

Starts off very green, but I'm not envious of this scent one bit. It barely lasts for me (scents don't last long on me in general, so it may not be this one's fault), but I'm not impressed with what I can smell. At first whiff, it reminds me of really "green" smelling basil (probably the coriander, but as coriander it seems a bit "off"), with hints of black pepper. As it dries down a bit, it becomes a bit soapy smelling, with hints of pine. After that, it seems to just disappear on me. I'm just not the sort of guy for this type of scent, but I'm sure many can wear it pretty well.

23 February, 2006

Santal Impérial by Creed

Wow, what a change of pace! Santal Imperial is a very full-bodied yet linear scent- not that that's a bad thing. The sandalwood is heavenly, and the tonka bean and ambergris linger in the background, smoothing any rough edges and keeping the scent warm and dark. There's something magical about this scent, but I must admit, I don't think it's for me- I'm decades too young for such a sophisticated fragrance. Perhaps when I'm older and much more distinguished, I'll own a bottle. Until then, I'll always keep a small sample to remind me of it's uniqueness. By the time I've matured enough, it's likely this scent will be over 200 years old... now there's something to consider.

21st February, 2006

Millésime Impérial by Creed

I absolutely abhor most of today's "fresh" scents that nearly everyone on campus wears (I'm a college student, obviously), mostly due to the awful synthetic smell that lends this "freshness." Millesime Imperial, on the other hand, manages to be light and truly fresh, with absolutely nothing synthetic about it. The gentle and crisp citrus overlays a salty, aquatic accord that is perfect for those beautiful spring and summer days. The drydown is also a work of art, seemlessly morphing into a sweet, musky base. Its major downfall, however, it that it barely lasts two hours on my skin (but then again, my skin does not hold on to scents well at all) and can stand to be quite a bit stronger as I find myself using 6-10 sprays with nary a reaction from those around me (however, every reaction that I met has been extremely positive and often involves me having to explain the whole Creed thing and why it's worth it to spend $150+ on a bottle of cologne). A masterpiece, fleeting though it may be.

21st February, 2006