Reviews by surge

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Amazing fragrance; one of the best Creed's to ever be created. Amazing use of ambergris and violet. This was the inspiration for Cool Water by Davidoff (and probably Chez Bond from Bond No. 9), but in my opinion there are more differences than similarities.
Silage is amazing, longevity is 12+ hours. Fresh, marine, green and citrus all in one. I also use the GIT deodorant and shower gel / soap -- gives you a great fresh smell all day long :)

Erolfa by Creed

I didn't think it was "worthy" of the creed name at first as it's not like the others that I love which blow me away and are truly unique scents and masterpieces in some cases (MI, GIT, Aventus, SMW, Himalaya, VIW, Original Santal, list goes on..). However, this one does have it's place. It's very pleasant, and perfect for warmer weather. Very classy. You can really feel the ambergris vibe that Creed uses in a lot of their fragrances -- it stands out even moreso in Erolfa. Overall, if you're familiar with Green Irish Tweed and Milisime Imperial, it smells a lot like the base of those two fragrances, with very watery citrus on top.
It has pretty decent longevity for this type of scent...I get about 6+ hours out of it on a hot summer day. I don't know anyone who could smell this and be offended by it, I'd have to say this is a very universal citrus aquatic / marine scent that no one could smell and not like. Perfect for a "work" fragrance that is positive not to offend anyone ever, and perfect for a classy summer fragrance that will never cloy or be overpowering. Lastly I'll ask and answer the question -- if this didn't have the Creed name on it, and the juice was in a blank bottle in the designer section, would I be able to tell it's a niche / Creed?
Yes, I would; Creed's use of ambergris gives it away, and really makes it a high class fragrance and stand out among a world full of citrus aquatics. Is it worth the price? Only you can decide that; I managed to get mine on the cheap, so I don't regret buying it...but if you are looking for another Aventus or GIT level nostril orgasmic experience, look elsewhere...you just won't get that level of intricacy from Erolfa...and that's fine with me.

Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

This one holds a special place in my heart, it's the first ever private blend that I purchased back in 2008 when the line debuted. I read an article in some magazine talking about how amazing it was; the author said this one and Tobacco Vanile were his favorite; I decided on AA to be the first purchase and planned on buying TV later on.
When I first got it, I opened the box and sprayed it on a tissue, and smelled...and I immediately gasped...I thought it smelled absolutely awful. I was very disappointed in myself for blind buying it, and I was basically pissed off at the world at that point, especially at the guy who wrote the article :P I put the tissue down and forgot about it, and I left the room. Came back about ~45 minutes later and something caught my attention...it was a very faint vanilla incense that blew me away...it was the tissue I had sprayed earlier! I sprayed some on my hand and again hated the opening, but after awhile it really started to smell magnificent. Eventually I learned to appreciate the opening and the entirety of the fragrance...an absolute masterpiece.
Boggles my mind why this one got discontinued. It's one of the highest rated private blends on this site and other fragrance based websites, there are tons of threads on it and multiple youtube videos and magazine articles...I doubt they'll ever bring it back, but one can hope...

Bois Rouge by Tom Ford

Probably one of the weirdest TF private blends if not the weirdest. It has the skeleton of Japon Noir but has this sweet woody band-aid ish hypnotic thing going on. I guess it's sandalwood. I don't get leather at all...I'm at a loss for words on this one, it really is very hard to describe and not in a good way. Not sure why I ended up buying this one...probably because it says Tom Ford Private Blend on the bottle and is discontinued. Unlike Japon Noir though, which is one of my favorites, this one barely gets any use at all. This one like Japon Noir isn't masculine or feminine, it's just plain weird! Sorry I know that isn't doing it justice or helpful, but I don't know what else to say lol.

Bentley for Men Intense by Bentley

Agreed with everything said except this doesn't feel like an EdP to me -- it's not concentrated enough or something. Projection is just not there. We will have to see about longevity as I have just first tried it now. Hoping it will last a good time...but yeah, amazing combo of incensce, leather, sandalwood (i get a cinnonmy vibe of it in here), and pepper.

EDIT:

OK, now I know what this reminds me of. Andy Tauer's LDDM. The incense is not as strong and the drydown is not as sweet, and Bently is a pinch more well rounded and less niche, but this is an office friendly version of LDDM for sure.

EDIT 2:

So I had this one laying around on the shelf for awhile and I never really wore it that much...decided to wear it today. Wow, don't know why I never wore this. This is an office friendly woody / spicy / fresh with a somewhat creamy and sweet base. I now know what this REALLY reminds me of -- Lubin's Korrigan, but without the sickly sweet opening.
All in all a very easy to wear woody spicy fragrance. Worthy of work wear and dates -- very versatile.
28th December, 2013 (last edited: 01st June, 2015)

I Love New York for Him by Bond No. 9

Reminds me of Prada Amber Intense mixed with Norlimbanol...not worthy of the price they ask for it, not by a long shot. I like it though, it's certainly pleasant -- it has virtually no projection though.
21st December, 2013

Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

No way this is feminine.
Reminds me a LOT of amber absolute...has the same top / opening of incense and amber, but it's a little softer and I guess I'll say hazier, similar to Ambre Sultan, but not as sweet.
Thumbs up on a good release from Tom Ford, but thumbs down for the price.
$150 for 50ml is awful.
I'm not saying this isn't niche quality (it definitely is), but it's not released as a private blend; so wtf?
14th May, 2013

Arabian Wood by Tom Ford

This needs to be called Arabian Rose...the rose is front and center and very powdery -- it IS however not as feminine and as soapy (in my opinion) as something like Lyric Man from Amouage.
I really enjoy rose based fragrances and I enjoy Arabian Wood A LOT.
Go light on it...it's definitely a scent monster and can be overwhelming.
The woods come more to the front during the drydown but the rose is always there.
22nd April, 2013

Le Tabac by L'Antichambre

Reminds me a lot of Ambre Narguile and also Pure Havane -- expensive stuff though.
It's good...not sure it's worth the price but it's long lasting and def. great smelling.
20th April, 2013

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Finally I got a bottle of this epic juice...I love it!

Picture this...back to black and tobacco vanille come to a party and hang out -- but wait a minute, there's angel men and japon noir...I dunno how that ends up working, but it does. The rose is great...it's always there, in the backdrop, and as the drydown completes you will see it changes quite a bit from sweet to weathered \ dried rose pedals. Love love love this one.
22nd March, 2013

Neroli 36 by Le Labo

I ask this when I sample most of Le Labo's fragrances -- but seriously, where is the Neroli? This is a floral / aldehyde mix...a very strange one at that. Not sure how I feel about this but it's definitely not fit for a man, that's for sure.
19th March, 2013

Speakeasy by Frapin

This one is AWESOME; it's basically a Mojito themed fragrance...I think this will be really amazing come summertime. Lime \ Rum \ overall freshness on first blast is wondeful...makes me think I'm at the bar.

06th December, 2012

Korrigan by Lubin

Welp, I got a promo email from Luckyscent to find that Lubin has released three new frags...I have never been a fan of Lubin in the past; I did not like Idole EDP or EDT; but for some reason, I decided to check out the summaries and notes of their new frags. Korrigan caught my eye because of the Juniper berry and Lavender, which I thought would make a good combo.

I received it today; at first it kind of took me off guard; some fragrances that I currently own that it made me think of are 24 Gold and YSL Body Kouros; in fact I think it's pretty much a perfect cross between the two.

The leather note in this is great...it's really my type of leather -- toned down a LOT, but always there, in the background, making its way to your nose :)

So, in conclusion -- I get vanilla cookies, mixed with spices and amber, mixed with leather. I don't regret the blind buy but I think the price is a bit excessive -- as all of Lubin's offerings are though.
06th December, 2012

24 Gold by ScentStory FZE

Alright -- so there's plenty of hype surrounding this so I figured I would buy one.
I will dispell some rumors:

1.) there is absolutely NO oud in this..none
2.) it smells nothing like amber absolute (I heard a few people say that)
3.) IMHO, it's very feminine
4.) the projection and longevity are good, 8+ hours

In conclusion; do not blind buy this.
It smells like a raspberry donut mixed with like girly girl hair spray...not appropriate for a guy, IMHO anyways -- and I typically love feminine scents.
14th October, 2012

Serge Noire by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is great juice minus the opening...The cumin is just way way too overboard...it's got like this B.O. vibe going on...thankfully it goes away and about 20 mins later you become enveloped in incense heaven...similar to andy warhol silver factory, but less fruity and more dark / sinister. This is really a great scent; I just don't see myself wearing it too often. Although I must say, it IS one of the few incense based frags I could see wearing in warmer weather without it being too cloying.
12th October, 2012

Santal Majuscule by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Very awesome rose and sweet gourmand type sandalwood -- IMHO it's better than Original Santal.
It's more distinctive and on my skin isn't as cloying. The rose is VERY refined and oh so awesome -- it was unexpected -- rose \ cinnamon is amazing. Reminds me of a Cinnabon!
06th October, 2012

Poivre 23 by Le Labo

Awesome and somewhat unique frag -- one of my favorite among the house of Le Labo.
Spicy, ambery, warm, woody and creamy and soft on the drydown.
The opening is very strong and masculine while the drydown is very soft and feminine -- the best of both worlds imho.
Reminds me a lot of TF's amber absolute or SL Ambre Sultan.
05th October, 2012

Tom Ford Noir by Tom Ford

Awesome stuff! At first sniff it reminded me of Extreme, but a bit more well founded and floral with less incense.

But then about 30 minutes later it turned into something completely different -- very fresh and spicy, but still floral and musky.

I think this is probably more versatile than the original Tom Ford for men or Extreme; I could see myself wearing this to the office or for a night out -- or even making it a signature scent.

Projection is average...not good but not bad. Longevity is great...8+ hours.

Price...well, we all know TF commands a premium, but thankfully it's not that bad compared to the private blend line. Still -- for a non niche, it's priced rather high.

Don't let the first blast fool you -- it will change!

EDIT:

Over the past few weeks this has slowy become my new signature...what can I say, I love it.
Yes; it's feminine -- yes, it's powdery. Is it a masterpiece? No. Would I buy a bottle of cat urine if it said tom ford on the side? Probably...but that doesn't change the fact that Noir is def. awesome :)
27th September, 2012 (last edited: 20th October, 2012)

La Nuit de L'Homme Frozen Cologne by Yves Saint Laurent

Very similar to the original. Almost too similar. Le Parfum was different enough I think to be distinguished on it's own. This one, not so much. I'm not saying it's bad; I love it...but I lined up all three of them that I have (EDT, Parfum, Frozen) and Frozen just doesn't make the cut as being original. I find myself reaching for Le Parfum more than this.

I like the new top notes, but they should have made them stick a bit more. But instead it's this fruit loop freshness and then right back to the original for the rest of the scent. I think it has less of an Armani Code vibe to it as well though; which is a good thing IMHO.

I can see why this is not being released in the USA though -- it's just not a decent flanker to an awesome awesome original.
08th September, 2012

Black Violet by Tom Ford

Love it!
If you're familiar with Azure Lime you'll recognize the opening (minus the Lime) -- very dark moon juice type thing with lots of violets :) Not too feminine at all...Fades to a gentle noir de noir type floral accord but it's not very outspoken...Longevity is good and overall this is great juice.
Definitely love this one!
20th August, 2012

City Love by Dueto Parfums

Very awesome rose and oud frag.
Similar to Bond's NY Oud I think.
Another great scent from this house -- I am really liking all of these!
10th August, 2012

Golden Boy by Dueto Parfums

Just got my sample today -- I really like it.
It reminds me of Tuscan Leather but with violet (think chez bond or fahrenheit).
Interesting combination to say the least.
Considering the price, two thumbs way up.
Good buy, definitely.
09th August, 2012

Oud Immortel by Byredo

Holy crap, this stuff blew me away. Smells like Aventus on steroids mixed with Jubilation XXV.
Get ready to have your socks officially knocked off.
Longevity is amazing, Silage \ Projection is amazing.
This is my first Byredo but it will def. not be my last.
06th August, 2012

Silver Bond / Andy Warhol Silver Factory by Bond No. 9

A masterpiece.
I blind bought this and when I first smelled it, it threw me off completely.
I don't know how Bond managed to do this...honestly, it's so great.
The theme here is sweet incense.
I think I get like iris, grapefruit, and jasmine \ violet on the top and then this really killer "wood resin" and incense smell in the base. It takes incense frags to a whole new level because the top florals make it so much more versatile...you can wear it in any weather and it's not overpowering.
One of the few bonds that's worth the retail price they charge, imho.
02nd June, 2012

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

The best A*MEN flanker by far; and I will actually go as far as saying this can stand on it's own despite any association with A*MEN or even Mugler in general as a house...this is just a really GREAT scent!

I get cotton candy at the beginning then an awesome honeyed tobacco note that I find similar to Back to Black by Kilian (that specific tobacco note, not the entire fragrance).

Longevity wise I get at least 6 hours, which is good for an EDT (on my skin at least), and the projection is also very nice. This scent is great to wear year round also...some gourmand scents are not suitable for summer or spring -- not this one. I'm wearing it right now on a beautiful 80 degree spring day in NY.

It's not worth the ridiculous prices it's going for on eBay, but I could definitely see this being worth at least 80$ or so...so basically when this was available via retail, it was a good buy...and hopefully Mugler is going to bring it back!
20th May, 2012

A*Men Pure Coffee by Thierry Mugler

Don't waste your money on this...it's almost nearly identical to A*MEN in every way shape and form and to even call it a coffee fragrance is an insult to real coffee fragrances. Pure Havane and Pure Malt are so much better than Pure Coffee...
20th May, 2012

Opus VI by Amouage

In short; the holy grail of amber fragrances.

I've been on a hunt for some of the best amber scents for a long time and I believe this is right up there with Ambre Narguile and Amber Absolute in terms of quality and uniqueness...I'm not going to say #1, but I just got the bottle; and it's coming in damned close...perhaps it shall usurp the throne from AA in the coming weekd :)

Opus VI has the backbone of Jubilation XXV without the medicinal top; in the base, it's very smooth -- woody, smokey, leathery and "incensey"

Then the top plays this wonderful game with the; where it resembles something similar to Ambre 114 from HdP without the sickening sweetness that Ambre 114 has.

How these two components go together so well is awesome...it's very complex.

Overall this gets a 9/10...Longevity and Siliage is equal to that of most Amouage fragrances; which of course is amazing. The only con here is the price; very expensive juice...If you love Amouage and you love amber; get this.

I just thought of something else; this entire scent concept is similiar to LDDM from Tauer...Tauer's is darker and spicier, where Opus VI is smoother and sweeter.
17th May, 2012

Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Oh, how I *love* this scent.
It reminds me of mixing Santal 33 from Le Labo, Amber Absolute along with Pure Malt, and maybe a little LIDGE on the side (minus the grandpa \ dentists office sharp vetiver note that LIDGE has).
So in short; it's a more masculine version of pure malt with incense and sandalwood.
Awesome sandalwood and cedar notes in the base.
Cocoa and Patchouli on the top and mid, very comforting -- they kind of gell with each other in a very symbiotic way.
The cocoa here is very reminiscent of LIDGE.
It's a very comforting scent that's for sure.
I would also advise Mr. Lutens to rename this scent to "pimp juice" -- because seriously, that's what it is.
One small prob; it doesn't last on me as well as other SL scents do...not sure why this is, maybe I got an old bottle or something.
15th May, 2012 (last edited: 26th May, 2012)

Patchouli 24 by Le Labo

From the reviews, I wanted this to be similar to Japon Noir or Borneo 1834 or possibly even Pure Malt (smoke + patchouli + sweetness) but it's really not, unfortunately.

First; the opening...like most Le Labo frag's I've tried, it's extremely strong; I would def. call it pungent.
Knocks you out and not in a good way. TBH it smells like a bon fire with bags of dog feces in the middle of the flames, burning one by one and eminating stinkyness along with the backdrop from the burning wood.
Also it smells like someone is BBQ'ing a dead horse carcass marinaded with some kind of sweet and sour sauce in the middle of the fire as well.

Whatever this is, it doesn't work well at all.
So next I'm thinking...OK..where's the patchouli?

I love patchouli scents...A*MEN, Pure Malt, Japon Noir -- awesome, all in my top 20 scents and all great patchouli notes.

It takes a good 30 minutes before you can smell even the slightest hint of patchouli; again leading me to question Le Labo's naming (ie. rose31 is mostly cumin and barely any rose).

The drydown is OK; I get leather moss combined with the burning wood from the beginning which sticks around until the end. Still barely any patchouli.
Don't care for this one...the opening is plain awful and there's barely any patchouli to be found.

Also BTW, at the top this says "feminine" -- If I ever smelled a woman girl wearing this I would run away at lightning fast speeds....if a woman smells of barbecue horse carcass with dog feces and patchouli...that's not a good thing.
13th May, 2012 (last edited: 15th May, 2012)

Oud 27 by Le Labo

Awful stuff...prob. the worst oud based fragrance I've ever tried.
It's not the oud in this I have a problem with, it's everything else...it's just really, really sour and fecal smelling stuff. The oud is kind of in the background in the whole thing and the opening is very overpowering.
Knock out stuff -- def. do NOT blind buy this or any le labo.
13th May, 2012