Reviews by Giulia

Chance by Chanel

This review is about Chance (Chanel) eau de TOILETTE, not about the eau de parfum. After researching this matter again and again, I came to the conclusion that the one I really like is the eau de TOILETTE, which does not have vanilla, which the eau de parfum does have.
    Chance eau de toilette is a succesful composition of both sweet, warm and yet fresh and not heavy notes. The lack of vanilla makes that it does not become too heavy and that it maintains a certain freshness and light-footedness, but does not become green nor cheap.

05 December, 2010

Asrar Attar by Amouage

I went to the Amouage shop in the shopping mall in Muscat, Oman. I did not like any of the scents, and definitely not the "Gold"! However, I was in the mood to buy and the shop-keeper then showed me the attars as a final resort, in despair. Also these I did not like, until the very, very last: "Asrar Attar Amouage"; that makes an AAA!
    Wonderful and amazing!
    I bought the full 30 ml. bottle on the spot.
    The girl added a fortune's worth samples to my purchase.
    After I got back to Europe, I tried them in the more toned down environment of my own home. I then also quite liked Epic Woman and ordered a bottle with a friend who happened to be in Oman. I found Ubar too heavy for common purposes, and Lyric a little bit too acid and light.

Asrar Attar --- Amouage
    -a rare scent, sweet and yet a little bit pungent through the massively overpowering effect of the saffron. Asrar is mainly a *saffron* scent. Thus, it has a slight reminiscence of a Tibetan temple, of Iranian saffrani chai (saffron tea) of the brand "Zanbagh". But, then, it is infinitely sweeter than a temple, it is sweet and warm like a warm warm bath, like a lovely embrace....
    one drop with the glass stick is enough for two ears and two wrists.....

after rubbing it in the skin, smell it again. After a while, a new smell develops on my skin,
    like a slight reminiscence of Indian paan, the stuff they eat after dinner there, which lifts the scent up through it's zest from the mere warmy nicey lovely bath idea; the Indian paan-zest keeps it interesting and perky......

and yet, you can come back easily to the warmth of the initial scent...

04 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 06 December, 2010)

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

Whenever I wear this, both men and women who come near me put their nose in the air, sniff, say it smells so nice, then ask who is wearing that perfume, then come near to me, ask me whether I am wearing that perfume, say they love it and want to know it's name.
    These experiences made me buy a few more bottles of Euphoria (Calvin Klein) and the shower gel and body lotion and body powder as well!

I once went to a big dance party in a beach bar and told some girls, while we were surrounded by beers and sand, that I swore I smelled Euphoria there. They then said that indeed they had dropped a bottle of perfume there and it turned out to be Euphoria.
    Unmistaken.
    Why is patchouli not mentioned in the ingredients? To me, it seems that what lingers on in Euphoria is the patchouli, a sweet version of it, which links the wearer to the wildness and adventurousness of the hippies, like a promise of intriguing and wild adventures.

Quizás, Quizás, Quizás by Loewe

Mmm, I rarely like a scent and yet I seem to be the only one here to write a positive review?

I found this perfume, Quizas Quizas Quizas by Loewe on a warm sunny day. Today I tried this perfume again to write this review. It is snowing and cold and that just does not match this perfume.
    Quizas Quizas Quizas is a typical summer perfume and it is very typically Spanish or even mediterranean --- maybe because it reminds of "Agua Lavanda" by Puig? To someone from Northern Europe Quizas Quizas Quizas smells like middle-aged ladies, but mediterraneans like it and Arabs adore it, when you wear it, I mean. I bought a 100 ml. bottle and later laid my hands on some samples which I always carry with me whenever I travel. After a long a dusty bus ride in Africa, I take a shower and spray some QQQ and, voila, I feel fresh again and everybody else perceives me as fresh and clean.

When I use QQQ before going out on a warm day, I like to first spray QQQ on the first layer of clothing, then put all other layers of clothing and then top the whole thing of with a spray of Euphoria (Calvin Klein). I find it a great combination.

Beautiful bottle, feels nice in the hand, love the colour of the liquid.
    The bottle is on my bed-side below my buddha-batik.

Lyric Woman by Amouage

Lyric is an Amouage I was tempted to buy, after discarding Gold and Dia and doubting about Ciel.
    It is an interesting scent, because it combines green, light, florals with sweet notes and an oriental heavy undertone, hence it has a little bit of warmth, which "Ciel" lacks. Yet, I decided not to buy this fragrance, as it still has the sharp and pungent chemical sting that Gold and Dia have in common. It also does not last very long. Why spend so much money on something that does not fully satisfy?
    I decided I would not even want it as a toilet refreshener.

Ciel Woman by Amouage

One of the better Amouage scents. Light, floral, green. Unfortunately, does not last very long. Unfortunately, still a little pungent and chemical, like it's sisters Gold and Dia.
    But why pay so much money for such a simple and not really attractive scent?

Dia Woman by Amouage

Not as bad as Amouage Gold, but I also find "Dia" a quite sharp, pungent and chemical scent. I was given a sample of Dia in the Amouage shop in Muscat but decided to give it away (the reader of this may have it) because I simply can't stand to wear it.

Gold Woman by Amouage

Amouage Gold was presented in the Amouage shop in Muscat, Oman, as the flag ship of the entire Amouage line.
    I was disappointed. I don't like Amouage Gold. It has a very sharp and pungent scent and smells very very chemical. It smells like a sharper and more pungent copy of one of the by-products (eau de toilette / shower gel / ....) of Chanel 5. It smelled like an expensive toilet spray to me, one that I definitely not even would choose for that purpose.

Ubar Woman by Amouage

I like this scent, but would not wear it on a daily basis. Would only want to buy a smaller, 50 ml. bottle.

This smell is a nice and romantic smell. It find it so heavy that I would only put it at night time: either when going out to theater or a concert of classical music, or when I expect to meet my lover/man.
    It does not linger ultralong.

Romeo Gigli by Romeo Gigli

"Romeo Gigli" by Romeo Gigli is NOT a masculine perfume, but a feminine, and no longer in production, and should have a picture of an oval bottle with cursive texts in white letters scribbled onto it going along with the reviews.....

I find Romeo Gigli a good scent for summer time. In the opening notes, it may come across as a pungent and cheap smell, but this does not last longer than the first 1,5 seconds. Then, the complete freshness and sweetness of bergamot and bitter orange and the sweetness of rose, the freshness of verbena and the heavy sweetness of neroli unfolds. After you have sprayed this perfume, you may go out and then you will notice the patchouli, which makes this such an interesting perfume to go an meet people: you will smell like patchouli, in other words: you will carry the wildness of the flower-power hippy with you, but only as a slight and for others subconscient hint, because all the other smells are there to camouflage the patchouli. What stays after a couple of hours is the memory of civet with tobacco, which makes this the perfect perfume to also mix with male company.

Epic Woman by Amouage

Mmm, Epic Woman, the discovery of the year for me, after I came back from Oman with a bag full of samples. In the Amouage shop in Muscat I could not fully appreciate Epic Woman. But after I came back to Europe, I tried the samples again and found Epic Woman to be quite a "total" and "full" smell. With Epic Woman on you, you don't need anything else. It also develops quite nicely on pure wool: I wear woollen ponchos in wintertime and I find it a good combination: Epic Woman and a woollen sweater.

It is a good scent for wintertime: it is a warm scent, and for daily use: it is not over the top at any point and stays in the back-ground zone: when wearing Epic Woman, you yourself are fully aware of the scent and as soon as you come into a room, the people there will sense a feeling of well-being and everybody will ask where that delicious smell comes from. Then, anybody approaching you will simply adore the smell, they will find it and you "sweet". It is not pungent at any point. It definitely reminds of a catholic cathedral in southern Europe. But there are roses, geranium, jasmin, etc. etc. as well.

Beautiful bottle. Always go for the 100 ml. straight away: it is so much cheaper to buy the bigger size.