Reviews by Harvitz81

Delicious Closet Queen by Etat Libre d'Orange

A powdery mixture of sweet raspberry and violot tones greats you in the opening. Much too sweet and floral. Hints of sandalwood spring up, though not enough to overtake the florals. Really long lasting scent, but way too feminine for me to even think about wearing. Thumbs down.

15 August, 2011

Nombril Immense by Etat Libre d'Orange

A very sweet opening that persists for about an hour with a mix of black pepper. The patchouli slowly takes over and dominates throughout the rest of the notes with some opoponax peaking through. I set this one aside for awhile to test as the thought of a nasty naval repelled me, but overall it is not bad and not vile ala some of their other offerings. Nothing truly unique here though.

12 August, 2011

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

A dreadful synthetic opening of hints of citrus and lavender. Smells like a cleaning product. The lavender persists throughout, but isn’t really natural in any way. Hints of musk and tobacco on drydown, but overall a disappointing, synthetic mess.

09 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 September, 2011)

Bel Ami by Hermès

A spicey, somewhat citrus opening that dries down into a musky leathery accord. I’m not a big spice fan and don’t much like the opening, but it doesn’t last that long. It is decent juice, but when I’m in the mood for leather I’m more apt to reach for the likes of Knize 10 or Parfum d’Habit.

Knize Forest by Knize

A piney citrus opening that morphs into a herbal middle. A classic fougere drydown with oakmoss and some sandalwood and musk peeking through. Has good longevity, but is not an overpowering scent ala Knize ten. If you like a good foguere then this is worth a shot.

Knize Ten by Knize

A diesel blast of an opening that is a bit too much to handle. Quickly becomes leather, leather and more leather. Think straight out of a 1980s Austrian nightclub. This is in my opinion the leather to which all must be compared. Longevity is definitely not an issue and only a sprintz or two are plenty. Not much else to say, other than the definitive leather, hands down and one of my absolute favorites.

Trafalgar by Truefitt & Hill

A spicy oriental opening that I pick up hints of coriander and cumin. A little cedar and musk there as well. Smoothly transitions into a jasmine drydown. I, like others have noted, get a reverse drydown from how the notes are listed. It is overall probably the most interesting from the T&H line, but nothing from this house really strikes me as great.

Grafton by Truefitt & Hill

Citrus top note that disappears almost immediately. Left with a light herby, green scent in the top notes. Faint Lavender in there as well, but can be picked up if you're looking for it. I get no "spice" at all throughout, despite what is listed in the basenotes. Dries down to a hint of patchouli and woods. Decent stuff and one of the better ones from this house (which isn't saying much), but there are much better ones in this category.

Clubman by Truefitt & Hill

A very modern, somewhat synthetic aquatic fragrance. Some mint notes there, but mainly a sporty type scent probably geared more towards the type that love department store offerings.

1805 by Truefitt & Hill

T&H’s rendition of a modern synthetic aquatic cologne. A sweet bergamot opening, which fades quickly to a faint oceanic note. A little woods in there, but overall longevity is poor and this one just isn’t that unique or good.

Freshman by Truefitt & Hill

Another knockoff from T&H. This one is a straight up aquatic in the likes of Coolwater. A citrusy sweet opening that picks up some mint along the way. A fresh, modern scent that is more reminiscent of department store offerings.

Tom of Finland by Etat Libre d'Orange

This is in my opinion the best that this house has to offer. A citrus and aldehyde opening that smoothes into a leathery/musk base. Not an over powering leather ala Knize 10 by any means. Just a wonderful and smooth accord. An overall easy fragrance to wear anywhere and it is just balanced oh so well.

Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange

Rien starts off with a splurge of aldehydes laced with leather. Some incense/florals begin to make there way in, though not too heavy. The leather is animalistic and on drydown it becomes very woody. Almost cedar-like. I would think just looking at the notes that I’d love this fragrance, but I’ve worn it several times and it just doesn’t do it for me.

Noël au Balcon by Etat Libre d'Orange

Begins with a sweet, honey laced mandarin and apricot note. Not heavy on the sweetness, which is good as too sweet and I can’t handle it. A vanilla spiciness then enters that eventually transforms into an incense-laden musk. Overall, a nice fragrance and a good gourmand that I can’t think of anything to compare. For me though, it is something that I would rarely wear.

Je Suis Un Homme by Etat Libre d'Orange

I thought I’d really enjoy this one when first applied. It has an overpowering citrus and bergamot opening. However within 15 minutes this fades and becomes predominately patchouli and clove, heavy on the clove.

Encens & Bubblegum by Etat Libre d'Orange

just too sweet for me with the bubblegum overtaking the incense note. If you concentrate on one or the other you can get each note, but the sweet, scent of dubblebubble just overtakes it all. Really much more of a feminine scent and just doesn’t work at all on me

Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange

This one opens with a very strong ashtray/cigarette smell. Very authentic, but not something for anyone expecting to get a straight tobacco smell. This, however, lasts for a few minutes max before subtly fading into the background of jasmine. Some slight muskier accords later on, but this one pretty much lives up to its name.

Charogne by Etat Libre d'Orange

Something in the top notes is vaguely familiar….I know I’ve smelled this stuff before, but where?? Then it hits me after reading the other reviews. It is a strong indolic scent that reminds me of work with it in chemistry lab. It is accompanied by a slight flowery note with hints of lavender that soften over time. At its base, vanilla with hints of leather take over. A bit of musk is in there as well. This is truly a unique scent and one that I’d have to give a thumbs up for just this. Is it wearable? Not quite sure, though I bet there are some occasions it would fit in just fine.

Putain des Palaces by Etat Libre d'Orange

Powder and Florals. Two things when mixed together I really can’t stand (well powdery in general is tough for me). The Violet and rose play off each other with an in your face powdery note. Over time the “animalistic” notes come in, of which I can’t truly describe the note. However, the powder remains and is just too much for me.

Vierges & Toreros by Etat Libre d'Orange

Leathery, smokey beginning with a little citrus background. After about 2 hours though it becomes only a skin scent that has poor projectivity. The tuberose blends with some floral notes with the smokey leather popping it’s head in now and then. Overall, not that exciting of a scent as nothing really stands out about it.

Rossy de Palma by Etat Libre d'Orange

Greets you with a heavy blast of cardamon and to my nose, geranium. Over time these soften a bit while the Bulgarian Rose enters in. As it finally settles, all I get is a pretty linear Bulgarian Rose note. Rather feminine overall and uninteresting to me. If DC and 88 are too dark and complex for you, then you might try this one.

Eloge du Traitre by Etat Libre d'Orange

Opens up with very strong green and pine accords. This softens after a bit which may be what the jasmine and geranium accomplish in this scent, though I detect very little of those notes. On dry down the pine accords remain throughout and are joined by a little oakmoss and patchouli. Longevity is excellent and an overall very nice fougere like fragrance that is very wearable and very masculine.

Antihéros by Etat Libre d'Orange

Etat Libre D’ Orange Antiheros – A pretty strong lavender blast of an opening that settles down somewhat quickly into a more faint, soapy lavender. Hints of musk and woods permeate throughout the base with the soapy lavender being the prominent scent throughout. Longevity is pretty good and lavender remains throughout. Pretty basic and if you are a lavender fan then most definitely give this one a try.

Don't Get Me Wrong Baby, I Don't Swallow by Etat Libre d'Orange

A sharp blast of sweetness accompanied by aldehydes greets you on this one. Becomes a heavy floral as it progresses. Very feminine, but overall not that interesting and just too heavy on the florals. A little powdery as well, which for me, when combined with florals is just too much.

Tilda Swinton Like This by Etat Libre d'Orange

Ginger and pumpkin top accords that is complimented by citrus notes. Sounds sweet, but it not overpowering as I hate over the top sweetness. Settles down to some floral and a little woody drydown that the pumpkin notes still wafer up occasionally. This definitely leans more on the feminine side of the unisex line, but it is something that I didn’t mind wearing and quite enjoyed. I did find that it is quite strong stuff and projects well in addition.

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

Wow. Vile and repulsive is all I can say about this one. One sweet, bloody, metallic concoction that literally made me gag upon smelling it. It is literally nauseating on me and I wanted to wash it off after the first 15 minutes. Let it settle for hours, but still was vile to me and basically because a oversweet, powdery mess that I could detect the blood and metallic components throughout.

Fat Electrician by Etat Libre d'Orange

Very sharp and pungent vetiver opening. Unlike most vetivers though that accentuate this with citrus notes, I like what ELDO does by complimenting this with vanilla and myrrh accords. After drydown it remains pretty linear vetiver accords with hints of myrrh tickling the nose. A very nice new take on vetiver.

Spanish Leather by Truefitt & Hill

A spicy and sweet opening that quickly develops into a castile soap smell. This becomes more pronounced as the scent develops with some underlying musk present. Way too soapy for me and I detect absolutely no leather. I much prefer GFT version as at least there is some leather undertones in that and it smells more like saddle soap.

26 April, 2011

West Indian Limes by Truefitt & Hill

A nice opening of lime, lemon and bergamot to this one. A bit different that GFT limes where that one is a complete blast of lime, but fades almost immediately.

The T&H Limes evolves over time to develop some neroli notes with hints of lime creeping up throughout. I don't detect much of the lemon and bergamot from the opening as this develops either. Stays pretty linear to my nose through the mid and basenotes with hints of lime imbedded in neroli. Longevity is pretty decent lasting 4-6 hours on me and for a lime fragrance it is by far my favorite that I've tried.

26 April, 2011

Caldey Island Lavender by Caldey Abbey Perfumes

Pure, clean, unadulterated lavender. Longevity is only around 15-20 minutes, but you'd expect that with nothing else to really support the top notes. Great for spraying on before bed (or on your pillows) to let the lavender scent calm you to sleep.

06 April, 2011