Reviews by teflondog

teflondog's avatar
    teflondog

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

For those of you who are looking for an alternative to Dzing, this is it. It has the same gourmand/leathery nature with a little more spice. I didn't think that this could live up to the original Gucci Pour Homme but I actually like this one even better. It's one of the few recent releases that I would consider buying.

05th June, 2008 (Last Edited: 23rd June, 2011)

A*Men Pure Coffee by Thierry Mugler

If I had never smelled the original A*men then I would have given this a thumbs up, but this was a disappointment to me the same way Fleur de Male was: the topnotes are new and exciting, but the drydown smells exactly like the original. Pure Coffee starts off smelling just like the name implies. It's like walking into a Starbuck's and smelling all the brewing coffee. Unfortunately once the topnotes die off you're left with an exact clone of A*men, which isn't a bad thing but it makes owning both scents redundant.

Illicit by Billy Jealousy

The sales lady at Nordstrom insisted that I try this when I bought my bottle of Gendarme EDP. She said that it was her favorite clean scent. While it wasn't bad, there was nothing special about it to leave an impression on me. All I can remember was that it was fresh and slightly sweet. While JaimeB says that this is EDP strength in his review, it didn't last very long on my skin.

Happy for Men by Clinique

This is a potentially good scent if it weren't for its poor longevity on me. Not many fresh scents are based on orange; Little Italy being one. But unlike Little Italy, Happy doesn't smell like a freshly peeled orange. It actually smells like orange candy to me. I can also see why others compare it to orange soda. It's more of an orange flavor than a real fruit. I'd recommend it for those days when you don't feel like wearing any fragrance since it's so fleeting.

Douce Amère by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This has slowly become my favorite Serge Lutens scent. Douce Amere is sweet but it's not overly done like the other scents of the house. This one can actually be worn casually from day to day. The sweetness is counter balanced with the bitterness of the woody notes. While the sweet part is really smooth, the woodiness adds a bit of grit like a raw piece of bark. As others have mentioned, if you like Lolita Lempicka then this one's definitely worth a try.

Virgin Island Water by Creed

I agree with the others in that Virgin Island Water is a very basic scent: coconut, pineapple, and sugar. It also reminds me of a coconut scented suntan lotion during the drydown, albeit way sweeter than any lotion could be. It's not bad but if I were looking for a scent like this, then I would opt for L'artisan Ananaz Fizz or CSP Vanille Coco before I bought a bottle of the Creed. I find those to be more groundbreaking rather than just on par with other tropical scents. However, Virgin Island Water does earn points for good sillage and longevity.

01st June, 2008 (Last Edited: 12th March, 2014)

Bois du Portugal by Creed

I'm not giving this a thumbs down because of poor construction or because it's a Creed. I'm giving it a thumbs down for the simple fact that I don't like this scent. To my nose it smells too "perfumey". It's also strong but not in a good way. I can imagine how overapplying this would quickly turn you into "the cologne guy". What I mostly get from this scent is wood that isn't balanced out by other notes. I'm sure there are other notes but the aldehydes and wood overpower everything else that my nose can decipher. But if you like old school scents then you might want to give this a try.

01st June, 2008 (Last Edited: 13th June, 2012)

Erolfa by Creed

I would have given this a neutral rating but the poor longevity and lack of development in Erolfa inspired my decision for a thumbs down. It starts off like a stripped down version of MI and SMW. The marine note that those two have in common is basically what Erolfa is all about. Just a basic citrus, ozonic opening that quickly dries down to the ambergris drydown that Creed is known for. But unlike the other Creeds, all I can detect in Erolfa's drydown is ambergris. It's very uninpiring to say the least. Of course I'm sure many others would disagree with my assessment.

01st June, 2008 (Last Edited: 13th June, 2012)

Original Santal by Creed

A creamy sandalwood that surprised me. I was expecting a sickening sweet scent but instead was greeted by a rather fresh opening. It is sweet but not it's not the sugar bomb that others lead you to believe it is. I wore this in warm weather and it remarkably did not get cloying. It starts off slightly sweet and fresh with subtle spicy notes, then eventually dries down to a bittersweet sandalwood drydown with a creamy tonka base. I rarely give a Creed a positive rating so there has got to be something special/different about this scent.

01st June, 2008

Sandalwood by Art of Shaving

I use the aftershave and it's amazing. Unlike the EDT, it lacks the eucalyptus note so it doesn't smell medicinal at all. It goes straight to the sandalwood heart notes. I find it very warm and creamy so I don't understand the other reviews. While it stays fairly close to the skin, it lasts a good 6 hours on me so I'm impressed. The only downside to it is that it's suited more for cold weather since it's so rich.

10th April, 2008

1805 by Truefitt & Hill

A one-dimensional citrus scent that doesn't last any longer than 2 hours on me. While it doesn't smell bad, it doesn't stand out from the hundreds of other fresh scents out there. It lacks complexity and depth even for a fresh scent.

10th April, 2008

Armani Code for Women by Giorgio Armani

Awesome scent. I seldom smell a woman's fragrance that catches my attention, but this one is great all around. Its fresh opening makes it versatile enough for daytime use, while the oriental drydown makes it perfect for evenings. I find Code for men boring and simple. Code for women is rather complex and a lot more interesting to my nose.

29th May, 2007

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

It starts off nice with prominent floral notes. But unfortunately it dries down to a basic powdery scent that smells like a stripped down version of Le Male IMO. As a fan of JPG, I hate to say that I was disappointed in this one.

25th May, 2007

Sweet Oriental Dream by Montale

I really wanted to like this one given the rave reviews. However, to me it smells like burning sugar mixed with tamarind: a sweet-and-sour concoction. It's very syrupy/sticky in nature and I imagine it can easily be cloying in the hotter months.

22nd May, 2007 (Last Edited: 10th April, 2008)

Royal English Leather by Creed

To me it's like the offspring of Daim Blond and Knize Ten. Sweet and fruity topnotes, which retreat into the background as the scent develops into a smooth leathery accord. Unlike Knize Ten, the leather note in REL is fresher like it was just cured and polished. It stays bright and never heads in the aged, pungent direction that Knize Ten goes to. It's great if you like fresh leather scents that aren't too rugged or macho.

10th January, 2007

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

I find it practically unwearable with its bittersweet nature, but I also find it extremely addicting. I can't stop sniffing my wrist when I have this on. I gave in and bought the twin 40ml bottles because I love smelling it often, especially at night. The best way for me to describe it is 'sweet body heat'. A very sensual scent that smells dirty and sexy. Of course I do agree with the grape bubblegum note that is often mentioned, but it's not noticeable unless you really think about it. While it's not a sillage monster like Le Male, it lingers well into the next day with an amberry, musky drydown.

Unforgivable by Sean John

Despite what others have stated, I don't find it that similar to Millesime Imperial at all. If Unforgivable is a rip-off, then I think it's more of a copy of Bond No. 9's Wall Street (I almost bought a bottle of Wall Street until I smelled this). It has the same cucumber note along with that good old sweet aquatic ozone freshness that exists in many scents today. I don't detect any watermelon in it as I do in Millesime Imperial. Sure, Unforgivable doesn't stand out nor does it last long on me. But I still enjoy wearing this as I find it a good casual and carefree scent. While I wouldn't give it a thumbs up for creativity, I do have to give it credit for being a pleasing scent.

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This was a big disappointment for me. I really wanted to like this one based on its praise and popularity here, but something about it just didn't click with me. It reminded me of A*men's drydown but with a citrus accord replacing the chocolate. I'm not very fond of prominent citrus notes (especially orange) blended in Oriental scents ala Hanae Mori and John Varvatos. Not only did I find Musc Ravageur disappointing, but I had to wash it off because the lingering citrus note annoyed the heck out of me.

Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I guess I'm the only one who finds this to be a rather clean scent. Despite the name, I find it rather bright and sparkling. It's like champagne with subtle spicy undertones. There's also a metallic accord in Noir Epices that reminds me of dry cleaning. I prefer it to Musc Ravageur but not something I would wear often.

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I agree with many of the previous reviewers. Voleur de Roses isn't really about roses at all. It's more about the dirt and wilting leaves surrounding the roses. The plum adds more depth and dampness to the patchouli note and rounds out its earthiness with a ripe sweetness. It's a very simple scent yet at the same time I find it very beautiful and unique. It's perfect for a rainy day and gloomy weather.

Knize Ten by Knize

This is one of my favorite leather scents by far, even topping Cuiron. In fact, it's actually in my top 5 favorite scents overall. It starts off with a light citrus accord before revealing a rich blend of leather and tobacco. A very sophisticated scent that doesn't smell like leather polish or curing agents. To me, it smells more like a worn out leather coat. Rather simple yet makes its presence. It's strong, but it isn't as atomic as A*men so don't believe what others say. I'd recommend this to anybody who's searching for a leather scent that isn't 'too leathery'. I'll always have a bottle of this in my wardrobe. Two thumbs way up for Knize Ten.

10th October, 2006 (Last Edited: 10th April, 2008)

Anvers by Ulrich Lang

While this is a decent scent, it just doesn't do anything for me. It's fresh, citrussy, slightly sweet, and smokey...blah. I also consider it very linear with minimal evolution, although the sweetness does give way to a bit of spice. If I wanted to wear this type of scent, I'd stick with Terre d'Hermes, which I find much more complex and interesting. Anvers doesn't smell bad, but it doesn't stand out IMO. But to its credit, it has excellent longevity.

09th October, 2006

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I agree with purplebird's review below. It's a decent scent but I find it underwhelming. Unlike all the other Lutens I've tried, this one doesn't leave a lasting impression IMO. For me, it lacks sillage and longevity. In fact, once the fruity topnotes fade I can barely detect it at all. It's too bad that it doesn't last long enough on my skin for me to experience the leather drydown (even Dzing! lasts longer than this). For the price, I was expecting a funky leather scent that would stand out from others in the same category. I guess I'll still wear it on days when I don't feel like wearing any scent at all. However, I won't replace my bottle when it's finished.

04th October, 2006

Arabie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I love Arabie. It smacks everybody in the face and announces your presence. It's one of the more original scents from SL IMO. Even though I didn't like it at first, I quickly grew fond of its unique qualities. Fruity, sweet, and spicy: it's a great fall scent for the holidays. There's a certain accord in it that reminds me of spiced potpourri.

04th October, 2006 (Last Edited: 16th March, 2010)

Black Aoud by Montale

I was quite disappointed when trying this one. I was expecting something to blow my socks off, but instead I was left there with a neutral impression. I don't understand how this scent can be "Black" by any means. It's rather clean and bright. There was something striking familiar to me when I first tested it. Ah, yes! Now I remember. This smells like a darker version of C&S No 88. It has the same citrus/bergamot opening blended with a rose note. The only difference is that this has oud, which contributes to making it smell more like cleaning solvent IMO. Sure, I can see how some people would like this. But to me it quickly conjures up memories of cleaning the kitchen floor tiles with Pine Sol. No offense to fans of Black Aoud, but I personally wouldn't buy this even if it were 3x cheaper.

Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi

I agree with the previous reviews that this scent is hardly about pepper at all. It starts off smelling like sharp menthol, similar to Vicks vapor rub. Then it quickly evolves into an herbal accord right before it becomes hardly detectable on my skin. There's also something in the basenotes that smells like powdery rubber to me. It reminds me of the rubbery smell of bicycle tires (Not the outer tire shell itself, but the rubber tubing that goes inside of it).

Nostalgia by Santa Maria Novella

All the rumors are true. The topnotes do in fact smell like a mechanic's garage. It starts off smelling like motor oil; the dirty kind you smell when you do an oil change. Although I initially thought it was a one trick pony, it did evolve to something more wearable. After the first five minutes, the topnotes completely disappear and what you're left with is a pleasant synthetic leather scent. It's not classic leather/suede such as Dzing, Knize Ten, or Cuiron. Instead it's like a leather couch that's been treated with many chemicals to give it that "new leather smell". I truly believe that anybody can wear this out in public. It's not offensive at all IMO and more of a skin scent. While I really like Nostalgia after the top notes burn off, it becomes too light and fails in the sillage/longevity department. If the middle and base notes were stronger, I would definitely buy a bottle.

Musk by Lorenzo Villoresi

At last! A Villoresi scent that I actually like. And I like this one a lot! I really don't consider it a true musk scent since the scent doesn't evolve around that one note at all. I consider this more of a floral oriental scent with a powdery drydown. To me, it's a borderline feminine scent in the same vein as SL Datura Noir but it's so good that I can't resist it. I have a hard time pinning down the notes since it's masterfully blended. It's just one of those scents that smell great. I must have a bottle of this wonderful juice now!

Gomma by Etro

As others have mentioned, Gomma is quite similar to Knize Ten. In fact, to me this is a dead ringer for Knize Ten! There are a few differences although not much IMO. Gomma skips the citrus topnotes of Knize Ten and immediately introduces its leather/tobacco accord rather quickly. For this reason, Gomma is not as complex and a bit more linear. It's also much lighter with inferior sillage and longevity than Knize Ten. Gomma is a really nice scent, but I like my frags potent so I'll stick with Knize Ten since it's basically an EDP version of Gomma.

Santal Noble by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Probably my favorite sandalwood fragrance thus far, although I haven't tried them all. While I find Tam Dao "damp" and "wet", Santal Noble is more dry and powdery. I would almost consider it a gourmand for it has something in it that reminds me of raw floury bread dough. I find it a bit similar to L'artisan Bois Farine but it doesn't have the peanut butter accord and it's not nearly as sweet.