Reviews by CCW

Café Noir by Ava Luxe

The opening is a spicy bitter coffee which I like. But then it becomes a more synthetic candy floss. Great for those who like sweet fragrances. Reminds me of Angel etc.
12th January, 2019

Hermèssence Myrrhe Églantine by Hermès

Gorgeous top note, very pretty rose. I thought I would like this. The SA said this was the top selling Hermessence of the new Christine Nagel creations. But then this awful sour note starts creeping in. Alarming. It worsens to the point where it reminded me of vomit. Unbearable. An hour in, the myrrh starts to show which reminds me of a junior Portrait of a Lady but cleaner and younger. The mix of sweet jammy rose and incense is interesting. I am shocked how strong this is with one spray for a Hermessence. Giving it a neutral rating because I can see how some would enjoy it if it didn’t fall apart and turn sour but that could just be me.
09th January, 2019 (last edited: 08th January, 2019)

Hermèssence Agar Ebène by Hermès

I agree with the other review that said this smells like a Le Labo. It is very “bare” wood smell. No complexity, clean and bitter almost. It fits into the Hermes aesthetic. If one were to imagine an Oud scent for Hermes I think this is a good effort. However I don’t find it particularly enjoyable.

Edit: I have upgraded my review to thumbs up. When the fir shows up in the dry down, an alchemy occurs and now I keep sniffing it. I will admit this is the first Oud scent I have enjoyed. Polite and unobtrusive but refined with character. Tastefully done.
08th January, 2019 (last edited: 09th January, 2019)

Winter by Dasein

Winter smells exactly like Christmas. I am a bit disappointed in the syrup quality, it would have been so much better if sheer and less sweet. Instead it gives the impression of those Christmas tree car fresheners that dangle from the rear view mirror. Actually, those smell better. A better comparison is a Yankee Christmas candle, but made with better materials. I am giving it a neutral review because I can see how some people would find this enjoyable. Just too sweet and syrupy for me.
06th January, 2019

Lavender Palm by Tom Ford

Does it smell like lavender, yes. I was hoping it would be more feminine but alas it hit me with a men’s cologne vibe immediately. I am rating thumbs up because it would make a good men’s fresh lavender scent but not for me.
29th December, 2018