Reviews by The_Giraffe

The_Giraffe's avatar
    The_Giraffe

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Wow... this one is SO good! Sure, the carnation in the top notes can be off-putting on the first couple of tries, but once you know what to expect it works beautifully as it's harshness is slowly but methodically mellowed out and taken over by the first the rose, then the sandalwood, and then a gorgeous combination of vanilla and rose. I love this scent so much because it is rare for me to have lots of respect for a scent artistically and also love to wear it. I can all but gaurantee that the people who say it's weak are suffering from olfactory fatigue, because I've been complimented on it many hours after applying it and have smelled it on myself the next morning before. Between the harshness of the top and the sweetness, this is definately not for everyone. In fact, for a while I thought it wasn't for me. It took me many testings to fully fall in love. But here I am, and I'm loving it. Enjoy mates!

15 February, 2007

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

This isn't as dry as I thought it would be. Maybe it's not that it isn't dry, but rather that it doesn't feel dry. There is definately a dry landscape somewhere within this scent, but there is also some sweetness and something a tiny bit juicy to balance it out. It has a very natural feel to it that I absolutely love. I will be surprised if this scent isn't still in my top 10 a few years down the road. Sexy, easy to wear, original. What more can one want? I'd also like to add that this scent earned me the most gushing compliment I have ever recieved. I was damn close to complimenting myself too before this girl did it for me. Good times. Everyone should try this scent. I can't imagine how this wouldn't make a fantastic addition to any fragrance afficionados wardrobe.

25 July, 2006

Black Aoud by Montale

As with any Oud, if you are not used to the mecidinal opening you will taken aback and most likely displeased. After a few wearings though the opening no longer bothers me. Not only is it a bit odd at first put damn does it pack a punch! After about 20 minutes though this is just sooo nice! The woods here are to normal woods what a fish like halibut or Mahi Mahi is to other fish. They just don't come off as very woody. The woodiness, instead of being super woody like say cedar is, is smooth. It adds tons of depth. There is just the right amount of sweetness in the composition to balance everything out. Overall an extremely well done fragrance.

Mandarine Tout Simplement, by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Smells more like an orange than a real orange.

Fougères Marines by Montale

Right off the bat I notice that this scent has more spices and less freshness than your average aquatic scent. I would really like it except that there is an accord in this that I can't put my finger on that bothers me and messes up the whole thing. I get the same annoying accord in Himalaya. Otherwise pretty nice.

Wood & Spices by Montale

This is not a bad smelling scent. That's not why I gave it a thumbs down. The problem is that it is just pure syrupy sweetness that always feels like it should go somewhere. It doesn't get cloying, just annoying. Also, the name of this fragrance is terribly misleading because I don't smell woods or spices. If you want to feel like you have high fructose corn syrup on your arm then this is a great choice.

Patchouli Leaves by Montale

Patchouli Patch meets Amber Extreme. This stuff smells like it's loaded to the brim with amber! The more it dries down the more the clean, dressed up patchouli a la Patchouli Patch shows up. It smells pretty nice overall, but given how much amber I smell here I would rather just have an amber fragrance.

L'Eau d'Ambre Extrême / Ambre Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Basically a pure amber scent that is smoother than Rob Thomas and Carlos Santana combined.

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

I have the same sort of respect for this fragrance that a school boy has for the bully that kicks his ass every day.

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

This scent is like Outkast, it manages to be great without being like the other guys. Plus, all the while when wearing it you will be thinking "Girl you know I'm so sexy, I'm just so fresh so clean."

Greyland by Montale

On the one hand, this is pretty good stuff. On the other hand, it is very hard to distinguish between this scent and Comme de Garcons 2 Man. The latter is far cheaper and is much easier to maintain. I have yet to put on a white lab coat and study these side by side, but trust me they are a lot a like.

25 May, 2006

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Based on all the good reviews, I'm thinking it might be a skin thing, but this is god-awful on me! Horribly bitter and medicinal. I dunno if this makes any sense, but it smells like the taste of novacaine at the dentist's office.

05 April, 2006

Chrome by Azzaro

The opening is to my nose EXACTLY the same as that of Benneton Sport. It doesn't take too much time however for this to develop and gain some florals. I can't pinpoint exactly which flower I smell though one in particular does come to mind. Might be a lily or something. Whatever flower it is wears the scent much better than I do. This is just a really OK scent. I can rattle off a whole bunch of scents I'd rather wear than this no matter the occasion, thus it is really not worth the money in my eyes. Check it out though if you want a fresh, youthful scent that would be sporty if it weren't too floral to be sporty. Or just don't, cuz while it doesn't suck it is sort of a waste of time.

08 March, 2006

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

If you want really woody, like living inside of a tree woody, than this imo is the best option. While it is incredibly woody it also conveys an inviting warmth. I find this scent to be very alluring, though I don't think I'd wear it myself.

Miracle Homme L'Aquatonic by Lancôme

So nice and calming, like playing in a field of dandelions! Then rip out every dandelion in the field and stick it up your nose. That is a lot like the smell of this fragrance.

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Fresh, nice, and there is nothing offensive about it. Sounds good, right? NO, cuz it is really boring and doesn't last very long. there are MUCH better fresh choices out there. On the other hand, you could do worse. I say keep lookin'.

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

The initial blast is like a mix between, let's see... a mix between rootbeer and pine needles. Don't worry, it does get a little better as it dries down. Well, sometimes. The drydown is quite inconsistent to me. Sometimes I dig the dirty yet sweety oriental nature of this frag, and sometimes I wonder if it really makes sense to smell like I've hidden spice bags in all of my pockets. The latter feeling tends to win out because of an really annoying citrus note that stands out and provides a clashing bitterness. Overall not horrible, I just don't think it is that great either. This is definately not a safe blind buy! Based on the opinions on this site, the EPD sounds MUCH better, perhaps lacking the annoying citrus note. I'd like to try that out sometime and see if it delivers where this one falls short

Miracle Homme by Lancôme

Each time I try this, I like it less. The first time I tried it I really dub the juicy bell pepper opening, and more or less enjoyed the bitter coffee and subtle woods that subsequently intertwined themselves with pepper as the scent wears on. However, for some strange reason, the last few times I have tried this scent I get a strong, sweet and cloying maple syrup note that takes over the entire production! It is absolutely horrible! I would be quick to say that maybe I just got a bad sample but other people have mentioned the strong maple syrup note as well. I'm not totally comdemning this scent since I liked it at first, but at the moment this guy just isn't keepin it real. It would be fun to wear on Mother's Day though and pretend you made your mom pancakes but then not. Or you could just buy something better.

Laguna Homme by Salvador Dali

Gee this only makes so much sense, so bear with me. This is what I would classify as a beach scent, not an aquatic scent. It is sweet, and has lots of vanilla and coconut. The woods are very subtle if detectable at all on me. It has a slightly synthetic quality which isn't horribly bothersome but that the scent could do without. You could get away wearing this scent at the office, and it wouldn't be horribly out of place at night either, but all in all the only time this scent truly shines is at the beach. The beginning is good for a day at the beach and the dry down is good for a beautiful beach sunset or a wild summer beach party. Verdict: smells nice enough, just lacks versatility. Definately a good one to bring to Hawaii.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

The initial blast smells like that wheatgrass crap they sell at Jamba Juice. I have a strong dislike for that stuff so I guess you could say me and GIT got off on the wrong foot. Anyways, things didn't get much better. This is probably THE GREENEST scent I have ever smelled. It was so green in fact that I couldn't think of anything except grass. I really wanted to like this, because it was the first Creed I tried, and I think the history of Creed is fascinating. Unfortunately, I just couldn't come around. I really don't get the appeal of this scent, not to mention it didn't last very long. If you really have a thing for grass though, I guess this could be worth $100+ to you.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Hmmmmm, this scent... well this scent reminds me of this time when I was bored and decided to put lemon in my hair to see if it would change color but then it started raining and the lemon juice got in my eyes and I tried running for shelter but tripped and fell due to the fact that there was lemon in my eyes. In two words: painfully lemony

Benetton Sport Man by Benetton

Disclaimer: I am not giving this a thumbs up based on the quality of the fragrance alone. I am giving it a thumbs up because it does a fantastic job of doing what it is supposed to do. "What is that?" asked the young inquisitive student. Well son, it is to provide freshness in a good-to-go container. Allow me to provide an analogy. Taco Bell is far from the best Mexican restaraunt. The Crunch Wrap Supreme is not even the best thing on the menu at Taco Bell. However, if you want a quick meal that will fill you up for cheap and is portable, it becomes one of the best available options. Buy Benetton Sport for mad cheap online, only like $15 for a 3.4, take it wherever you want, and enjoy the simple citrus freshness that lasts a suprisingly long time. If that sounds like your cup of fresh citrusy juice, then look no further than the Benetton Sport Crunch Wrap Supreme!

Allure Homme by Chanel

Oy, if only my cat didn't pee on me right after I tried this on. The top was sweet and pleasant, and I could foresee could things to come, but then, ouch, nothing but honey mixed with cat piss. Hopefully it works better for you if you try it, and you might want to stay away from your kitty while wearing. Lets just say that Allure is lucky I'm not giving it a thumbs down... damn you objectivity

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Forget this smell conjuring images of a fun day by the ocean, all I can associate this scent with is loud frat boys. That being said, it is overall relatively pleasant, but not only can you smell pleasant without feeling like an abnoxious frat boy but you can find scents like this that are flat out better. Bulgari's take on Aqua, for instance, is simply put a better version of this scent. You won't feel like a tool wearing it either.

Chance by Chanel

This is my favorite scent on women. Maybe it's because it reminds me of a very special lady, but also I think it is just a really nice scent. Floral, sweet, fresh, wearable, and incredibly seductive. Seems from the reviews here that this one depends even more on skin chemistry than the average perfume. Really though, try it out because at least for me this scent is a huge turn-on. Oh yea and after you try it on meet me somewhere private. Thanks.

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Admittedly, this is far from groundbreaking but to me it just smells too good not to like. It makes me want to frollick down a beach with a loved one. But hold up! Not the prissy, white sand sunny day type of beach for men who get sand stuck in their hoo-hoos, but a beach with darker sand on a slightly overcast day with sizeable waves that unleash a salty mist as they crash against the sand. Despite the clouds, me and my gal are happy in the end and that's what counts! Then I steal one of her sandals and heave it into the ocean, never to be seen again... and then I have to carry her over broken glass on the way home. Still happy...

Geir by Geir Ness

Winterfresh! No, I'm not here to talk about gum, this is the perfect fresh scent for winter. It's warmer, deeper, smoother and stronger than any other fresh scent making it perfect for cold weather. Should work any time tho. The drydown is especially nice, garners a fair number of complis. There is a somewhat annoying though luckily subtle chemical note that can be detected when inhaling deeply close to the skin, but the sillage PURE FIYAH. One complaint is that my sprayer is an absolute piece. If the employees at Nordstroms weren't such assholes I'd go back there (and prolly will anyways) to get a new bottle. I'll show them who's always right...

Yang by Jacques Fath

The shyest girl I know, who hardly utters a word let alone anything that takes guts to say complimented me on this scent. Go Yang! That really felt great. Really good scent for wearing around the house, no matter if surrounded by friends, family, or hot babes. The tea wafts up occasionally through the sweet and spicy undertones.

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Uh, I don't get it. It smells like sour, dry nothingness on me. Apparently girls like this, but I haven't wanted to even wear it out of the house and see if that's true. In a way the dry woods note reminds me of a similar note in Ungaro III, but the difference is that Ungaro actually has some other elements to it which creates a balance. This is one of my least favorite scents ever. I can't find a single thing to enjoy about it. People need to forget what is "sophisticated" and started gettin' wit da program! It kind of reminds me of this time I tried to save a baby from a burning building but fell and the baby flew out of my arms into the flames. It was the worst day of my life. I can't think of any smells that day that remind of my fragrance, but that day, like this scent, completely blow.

Envy for Men by Gucci

Chicks feel this one, na mean? Perfect for intimate gatherings. I do have 2 complaints about this frag tho. Firstly, it sometimes comes off a bit synthetic. Secondly, sometimes the spice balance is off and I don't smell much other than the nutmeg. When this happens, I wish it were Christmas so I could carry around a glass of eggnog and not have people think I am in fact what smells like a glass of eggnog. Unfortunately even Christmas wouldn't help, as I happen to be Jewish. Time to bring eggnogg back in style! But for realz, check it, despite my minor grievances this is still the bomb explosive, west coast shit check it out girls will tell you that you smell nice. On the sweetah side of spicy with a little wood to keep dem rascals in check. Tho I am always careful, I imagine this scent is rather easy to overapply.