Reviews by tigrushka

tigrushka's avatar
    tigrushka
    Finland Finland

Coromandel by Chanel

Judging by the notes of and Noses behind this scent I expected to love it, but boy was I wrong! The opening blast of Coromandel felt almost painful, not only to nostrils but also palate, and the sweetish run-of-the-mill drydown wasn't much better. The overall impression was stagnant and "too cheap for a Chanel" (especially as it is not just a plain Chanel but an "exclusif"). I like my patchouli dirty and earthy, not sanitized like this.

07 March, 2014

Premier Figuier by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I was surprised by how green Premier Figuier is! I expected something fruity and thus sweet, but (at least on my skin) this is rather vegetal, even chlorophyllic. It is figgy of course, but more leafy than fruity. The drydown is dry and woody. Like many L'Artisans, a wonderful mood scent. It puts a smile on my face.

05 March, 2014

Enchanted Forest by The Vagabond Prince

I like the opening, there's vegetation, woods, rotten leaves, and all this is crowned with the darker side of blackcurrants: juicy and tart, but with a hint of cat pee. Very interesting indeed.

Sadly the drydown is disappointing: the realistic blackcurrant turns into industrial creme cookie filling made out of chemical blackcurrant essence, bland and boring.

15 November, 2013

Pulp by Byredo

Way too busy

I don't think I have ever used the word "annoying" to describe a scent, so this will be the first. Pulp is fruity, F-R-U-I-T-Y, really, really fruity. Not a fruit salad but a fruit mash.

If I try really hard to say something nice about it, I might say that the illusion of fruit is very realistic: Pulp really does smell like real, actual fruit, not some vile chemical-created essence.

Still, I find Pulp about as charming as a fly endlessly buzzing around you or a person who talks, talks, talks, and talks without saying anything.

Pros: Fruity
    Cons: Fruity

08 August, 2013 (Last Edited: 28 March, 2014)

L'Eau d'Ambre by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I like this amber scent very much. It's soft and light compared to many others and lacking the resinous burn characteristic of the stronger amber scents, but in the top note stage there is a wonderful chocolatey cigar box vibe. The drydown is smooth and sweet.

14 October, 2010

Divine Bergamote by Different Company

It took me some time and several wears to get this one, but now that it finally happened, I'm quite smitten. The first word that comes to mind is cheerful. Bright citrusy notes are teamed with ginger and rhubarb which give the scent a lovely tart burn, the kind you get when you eat pickled ginger with sushi. Bergamote is an easy-to-wear feelgood scent suitable for work and play and brightening up any day!

07 July, 2009

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

Obviously here is a scent that behaves very differently on different people's skins. I belong too the group that gets fresh water, flowers floating in it, sweet milkiness, a touch of seaweed... now that doesn't sound _that_ horrible, does it? ;)

I find this scent very relaxing and dreamy, it makes me visualize floating flowers, white and pink, streaming and cascading water, mermaids with flowers in their hair...

17 June, 2009

L'Air de Rien by Miller Harris

Dirty, soft and sweet are the first words that come to my mind.

Wearing L'Air de Rien feels like wearing an old flannel shirt that has been worn by at least one generation of men in your family before you, a shirt that has been worn and washed, washed and worn, but still carries a hint of good honest male sweat. A shirt gone so soft it feels like a caress on your skin.

This is a very intimate scent, gentle and familiar, cosy and comfortable. I feel I'm home wearing it.

02 March, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th April, 2014)

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Ouarzazate by Comme des Garçons

Along with Kyoto I find Ouarzazate the most easy-to-wear of the CdG Incense Series scents. I love the woody drydown and the spices remind me of Kabyl cuisine: they are hot, but with a gentle burn. Ouarzazate is warm and cosy (which is a rare quality for an incense scent) like a hot meal enjoyed by a campfire in a desert.

24 May, 2008

Rossy de Palma by Etat Libre d'Orange

A rose is a rose is a rose. Rossy de Palma smells like Bulgarian rose oil, the kind sold in rustic painted wooden bottles, or Weleda Wild Rose products. All the other notes seem to be there merely to showcase the rose. Nice, but not mind-blowing.

Je Suis Un Homme by Etat Libre d'Orange

JSuH doesn't differ much from a traditional men's cologne: citrus, spices and leather. It's masculine and Mediterranean, hairy-chested, but nothing new under the sun, plus it has been done better.

Eloge du Traitre by Etat Libre d'Orange

Oh yes, the powerful blast of pine and herbal & medicinal leather bring immediately Yatagan to mind, but EdT is cooler and cleaner. Not bad at all.

Divin'enfant by Etat Libre d'Orange

DE starts with a bright, strong orange blossom note and then turns gourmand with a capital G. This "spoiled child" is throwing his tantrums in a café where the long-suffering parents try to enjoy their coffees while stuffing the little monster with cakes and pastries...

Delicious Closet Queen by Etat Libre d'Orange

Before I learned to love vetiver it used to be one of notes I most disliked, and in DCQ the vetiver rubs me the wrong way. Might be also the combo of vetiver, violet and raspberry. Whatever it is, it smells very bitter on my skin. Nix.

Charogne by Etat Libre d'Orange

This one is delicious! Soft, sweet, animalic, inviting, tempting like warm bare skin. Irresistible.

Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange

Ooh, nice one! JeC reminds me a bit of an old fave: Biche dans l'Absinthe, it has a same kind of oddball elegance and understated glamour. A confident, comfy scent that doesn't try too hard. Such a lovely idea to combine jasmine with tobacco and hay!

Encens & Bubblegum by Etat Libre d'Orange

This one is hilarious! One sniff and I can immediately visualize a bored young girl (in school uniform, pigtails and lipgloss applied without a mirror behind the corner) chewing gum at the mass and trying to look as hard-boiled as only a teenager can. Maybe not something I would buy or wear but a delightful fragrance nevertheless.

Vierges & Toreros by Etat Libre d'Orange

The top notes are a bit nauseating and blood-like but the drydown is postcoitally blissful. Spicy leather scent with just the right amount of tuberose well blended in.

Don't Get Me Wrong Baby, I Don't Swallow by Etat Libre d'Orange

I've never been a big fan of aldehydes, and DGMWBIDS starts with a sharp blast of them, then it turns slightly softer and sweeter. A nose-tickling pretty little Floral with a shock-value name.

Vraie Blonde by Etat Libre d'Orange

Though my first impression was that this particular blonde is the the cheapest and nastiest ever, the drydown took me by surprise: it reminds of another blonde, SL Daim Blonde, that is. It's quite an achievement to turn from trashy to classy, but this scent does it.

Putain des Palaces by Etat Libre d'Orange

The most "daring" thing about this scent is its name. The scent itself is nice: rather "traditional" with powdery roses and violets and some animalic notes thrown in, but I think that this type of scent has been done many times in the past, and much better, too. PdP is nice all right, but I rather stick with my Carons.

Antihéros by Etat Libre d'Orange

This one really is the great-grandson of Caron's Pour un Homme! Lacks the powdery vanilla, but has that great trustworthy shoulder-to-lean-on lavender. I certainly wouldn't mind being held in the arms of this particular antihero. ;D

Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange

Rien was a big surprise: the name led to expect something mild, but it turned out to be a mixture of Bandit & Comme des Garcons Synthetic Series (Garage, Skai, Tar). To my nose it has that same leather jacket saturated with decades' worth of thick cigarette smoke vibe as Bandit. VERY long-lasting scent.

Nombril Immense by Etat Libre d'Orange

Neither good, nor bad, rather middle-of-the-road, very mild-mannered patchouli scent.

Lux by Mona di Orio

Lux was the MdO scent I was least interested in but decided to give it a try anyway. The opening is pure lemon soap, quite lovely, but that stage soon passes giving way to powdery vanilla notes, which give way to something woody and slightly bitter (vetiver, I guess). Lux is interesting, and a quality scent, like all MdO scents, but... neither yay nor nay.

17 October, 2007

Poussière de Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine

Poussière de Rose was the first Rosine I fell for and also the one I got first. Sometimes I almost feel as if it had been created for me: it feels so much like home wearing it! It's soft, spicy and sophisticated, with mellow wood & fruit and slightly smoky tea & incense notes and a gentle, comfy drydown. A scent that rather whispers than talks loud, and my favourite Rosine scent for women.

23 March, 2007

Ecume de Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine

Third thumbs-down Rosine for me (Été and La Rose were the first two). "Metallic" and headache-inducing, I guess its the marine note that is to blame. Not my bottle of rose scent.

22 March, 2007

Une Zeste de Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine

Une Zest de Rose was one of the first Rosines I fell for, a very lovely and effervescent rose scent with zingy & zesty zitrus and aromatic green tea and mate notes. This one will brighten up any day, no matter how grey and gloomy!

La Rose de Rosine by Les Parfums de Rosine

Though I find some Rosines utterly charming, La Rose isn't one of them. Very strong and too sweet to my nose, smells "sticky", not powdery, as I expected it to.

Rose D'été by Les Parfums de Rosine

Love galbanum and bergamot, but NOT apple, melon and mimosa (plus am allergic to linden aka lime blossoms), so was neither surprised nor disappointed that Rose d'Été wasn't for me. Top notes smell bitterish, heart watery-fruity. Nix.