Reviews by fragrance-fetish

fragrance-fetish's avatar
    fragrance-fetish

A*Men Pure Shot by Thierry Mugler

Most people either love or hate Mugler fragrances; especially with the Pure line, it's rare to find someone who's on the fence about them. Regardless what side you fall on, when you hear Mugler A*Men Pure, you're not going to think of something that's conservative and safe. But that's exactly what Pure Shot is, a safe fragrance. A very good safe fragrance, but still, a safe fragrance.

As for the fragrance, don't get me wrong, it's very nice and I like it a lot. I'll let others review the notes, but it's a good mint scent that's a very good choice for the office on warm Spring day. If you like mint scents, you won't be disappointed.

But that's where the problem with this lies. It's something that's safe enough to wear to an office. While I'm happy he made something that doesn't contain the expected A*Men DNA, I would not expect it to be a clean, conservative, and inoffensive. That's why I'm giving it a neutral rating even though this is probably going to be one of my go-to scents this Spring. I wanted something more in your face.

The A*Men line conjures up images of rebelliousness, risk taking, daring, and people taking sides on if they love it or hate it. Those are not things this fragrance brings to mind. If he released this outside of the A*Men line and just called it something like "Mugler Shot", I think would certainly give it a thumbs up.

They can't all be winners.

12 April, 2012

Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel

I really enjoy it.

As others have said, it's extreme by any means. A more fitting name would be Allure Homme Sport Eau Lumière. Still good, but certainly a try before you buy.

I see this as the sport version of Allure Homme Sport. If you want wear a scent while doing something like running or going to the gym it's a very good choice.

02 April, 2012

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

It took me a while to figure it out, but I finally got what this reminds me of, which is by no means a bad thing -- the stem of a tomato plant!

Everyone delved into the notes much better than I can, but I will say that the scent is getting far more flack than it should in these reviews.

17 December, 2011

Paris Hilton for Men by Paris Hilton

Before we start going into the details of this -- remember, this is Paris Hilton cologne. It's very (VERY) foolish to juxtapose this with a big name fragrance house. But, for what it is (Paris Hilton cologne), it's outstanding!

To echo everyone else, it's a bit fruity, and the big thing I get out of this when it starts to dry down is watermelon. It's very nice, IMO.

As for practical places that you'll wearing this -- it's a good one to wear on a hot and sticky day summery day (it's not clawing), good to give yourself a spritz with before you go to the gym if you like to give yourself a workout smell, lounging around on a lazy day outside, etc.

You can probably pick this up for about $10 USD at a pharmacy or big box store. It's also going the same price at most of the popular online sites. If you need to buy one more thing to get the free shipping, BUY THIS!

26 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 03 May, 2011)

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

The first thing I have to give Bond No. 9 credit for is they really captured the smell of Wall St. in a bottle. Literally. I'm familiar with the area, and that is what it smells like.

Geographically, Manhattan's Financial district (Wall St.) sits at the lowest point of the island. Three of the four sides are surrounded by water -- to the west there's the Hudson River, to the east there's East River and seaport, and to the south we have the entrance to the Staten Island Ferry. So it's only fitting that the area is represented with an aquatic scent.

As for the scent, to echo everyone else, it's a very pleasant cucumber aquatic scent with a little bit of salt to it (probably from the sea kale). Sporadically, especially in the first hour or so, you'll get an almost syrupy blast of cucumber as well. I personally like it, but I can see how some folks would find that as a turn off. Sillage stays fairly close to the skin, and speaking for myself, a typical application will get me 8 - 10 hours.

This can be pulled off by men or women, but probably leaning a bit towards the masculine side. It also projects a vibe that you know what you're doing and ready to take charge. It's great for the office, particularly a formal office setting. Not sure if that was the intention, or serendipitous of them making an aquatic scent to represent the area that's become a symbol of corporate culture.

This one has become my go-to office scent of late. I'm a fan!

22 April, 2011

Very Sexy for Him by Victoria's Secret

I'll echo the consensus of the rest of the reviewers, it's a fabulous scent that draws (lots of) compliments, but I'm pretty sure it's a Eau de Cologne (as opposed to an Eau de Toilette or Eau de Parfum), so don't expect much when it comes to longevity and silliage.

One scenario that this is great for is going out after work. I think this one walks the fine line of a safe and non-offensive work fragrance, and a sexy and fun going out fragrance.

Lots of times I find myself after a work day, rushing home, getting changed with no time for a shower before a night out. When those days occur, this is my go-to fragrance. I can have a nice scent for the day at work, and with a light reapplication, I'm ready for the night out.

All and all, I'm a huge (HUGE) fan of this one!

20th April, 2011

Infusion de Vétiver by Prada

Granted it's fairly new as I type this, I'm very surprised this hasn't gotten more attention that it has. This is an outstanding vetiver!

To echo what folks have already said, it's by no means an overpowering vetiver. You get a light, soft, green, and clean feel to it. Not clawing, and the scent stays close to the skin after a couple of hours. In my opinion, the projectivity is perfect.

I'll leave it to the others to do a better job at delving into the notes than I, but I will say that this is the vetiver that's made me become a vetiver fan!

16 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 19 April, 2011)

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

Aside from the pretty awesome bottle -- it's a great woodsy and leathery smell. And also, one of the first times I ever smelled something very masculine and very sexy at the same time.

I'm backing this one.