Reviews by tmp

Sables by Annick Goutal

One that I didn't really "get" the first time I smelled it, at first I thought it was overly heavy: I smelled tobacco and caramel and something like cognac and it was a bit much. But that soon evaporated into a fantastic, creamy sandlewood. Not easily found in the US anymore, I have a bottle hoarded.

16 March, 2006

Index Cucumber Baie by Fresh

A classic for hot summer days. Tthere is the initial bright blast of grapefruit and galbanum that travel through to the long lasting middle of cucumber until the base notes of velvety amber come through. Like most of Fresh's Index line, there is a deceptive amount of sillage from this seemingly light scent, so use a light hand. Having written that, I've never received anything but raves over this scent.

Index Red Currant Basil by Fresh

My first foray into Fresh's Index line: I was instanly hooked. A perpetual summer classic for me; one I never fail to be complimented upon. But be warned: Fresh's scents tend to have quite a bit of sillage, far more than you would think. Go sparingly.

Index Galbanum Patchouli by Fresh

One that I was given by a friend- I didn't think I'd like it, since I am not usually a huge fan of patchouli. But the spicy, woody Galbanum works against the Patchouli in much the same way (but ot very different effect) and Borneo 1823's nore shocking burnt cocao accord does.

Another great one from Fresh!

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

It took a while for me to warm to this one. It starts out very strong, but the drydown is great- the smell of skin warmed by the sun. Like most Lutens scents, it doesn't have heavy sillage, so you won't be blasting people with your scent.

08 March, 2006

Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This was the fragrance that made fall in love with SL- I liked Daim Blond, but this one knocked it out of the park: as a matter of fact, this is the first patchouli I have ever liked enough to own: the warm patchouli on me is perfectly balanced by the slightly bitter cacao and backed up by a faint whiff of camphor and cardamom. Truly beautiful.

Chêne by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The other SL that had me hooked (with Borneo). Hot woods and spices dry down to oak, honey and rum, with Luten's (Or Sheldrake's) uncanny scent of tanned flesh. Love it!

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The firsts Lutens I ever smelled. It has a wonderful dry-down on me, but has an odd burst of cherry cough-syrup at first that while not unpleasant, is a bit odd. It can pop back up on me as I wear it. As I wrote, it's not unpleasant (I find it compelling, myself), but you might want to get a sample of it before committing.

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I wanted this one to be good on me so badly. It's nice, but not the lyrically dirty musc that I read about. My body chemistry must be the problem: all I get is a floral. Oh well, I still have Chene and Borneo (as well as Daim Blond) as Lutens that really work on me.