Reviews by BeginnerNose

Serge Noire by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I LOVE this drydown. It is a vanilla/cinnamon incense that also has a bit of smokiness. I could smell this drydown forever!

The problem is the opening. As soon as you spray it on, you are hit with a blast of cumin/sweat/fried onions that lasts uncomfortably too long. Just when you think it's time to scrub, the cloves start appearing and, before long, that amazingly beautiful and melancholy incensy drydown appears.

This scent is not for everyone.

25 May, 2012

Dark Aoud by Montale

This "perfume" is basically the HEAVY smell of SULFUR and PETROLEUM. Someone described it as "what Freddy Kruger would smell like" and I couldn't agree more. This is a terrible scent and I am sorry that I ever encountered it.

Perhaps if you were a car mechanic and you wanted to be reminded of the garage then you would want to smell like this but, other than that, I can't understand why anyone would want this to be their scent!

25 May, 2012

Opus VI by Amouage

I sampled this at MiN NY in SoHo and I KNEW I had to have it!!! What does this
    amazing fragance smell like? Here goes:

First, it would be an understatement to say that this is a luxurious amber perfume...it is luxurious but it it is MORE than just amber; Opus VI starts off with a a pepper blast and then you get a beautiful symphony comprised of incense, sandalwood, oud, and vanilla amber. The vanilla amber is tamed by a dryness that prevents Opus VI from getting into gourmand territory.

Being an Amouage, the sillage and longevity are tremendous.

It is perfumes like these that reaffirm that perfumery is an art.

13 April, 2012 (Last Edited: 14 April, 2012)

Fat Electrician by Etat Libre d'Orange

This smells EXACTLY like Bvlgari Black!

I get alot of RUBBER, RUBBER, and MORE RUBBER, as well as some vanilla and vetiver. I actually have sprayed "Fat Electrician" on one hand and "Bvlgari Black" and it is very difficult to tell them apart!

This fragrance is nowhere in the same league as Vetiver Tonka or Sycamore!

31st March, 2012 (Last Edited: 14 April, 2012)

1697 by Frapin

I had the 1697 Absolu and it made me sick to my stomach. It was sickeningly sweet and boozy and disgusting!

13 March, 2012

Oud For Highness 75 by Krigler

The best oud fragrance available! Better than Killian's or Tom Ford. I wore this and I couldn't stop smelling myself all day. Great longevity, and great sillage.

18 May, 2011

Absolue Pour Le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Absolue Pour Le Soir does indeed play heavily on Atlas cedarwood, civet, frankincense, honey and cloves! In fact, too much so! I have worn Muscs koublai khan, Ambre Sultan, Black Aoud, and other heavy fragrances but I have too say that this is the heaviest fragrance I have ever worn!
    Now, after a couple of hours, I just want it to end!

06 April, 2011

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

Yes, Pure Havana has opening notes of honey and tobacco leaf but it really makes its mark with the drydown: rum and vanilla. It reminds me of rum raisin ice cream but its not cloying.....I love it! I get alot of compliments when I wear this fragrance.

It is in the same class as Chergui or Tobacco Vanile but at half the price. GET IT BEFORE ITS GONE!

05 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 September, 2011)

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

At first this reminded me of a more intense leathery incarnation of Habit Rouge. Then that patchouli/mothball smell kicked in. I couldn't take it, I had to scrub it. I don't know how this is compared to Chergui. Chergui smells like a wonderful bouquet of hay, tobacco, and vanilla. Fumerie Turque is bug repellant.

26 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 May, 2011)