Reviews by Tovah

Tovah's avatar
    Tovah

Lea by Lea St Barth

Lea is certainly a pretty fragrance, but it's utterly boring on my skin. It doesn't create any particular mood but it is one of the nicest vanilla fragrances I've owned. I prefer La Maison de la Vanilles, though, when I have vanilla cravings as their Bourbon Vanilla drydown is much more appealing to me than the kitchen vanilla extract smell of Lea. Lea smells like pure vanilla extract mixed with pure almond extract; definitely a nice smell, but not one I want to wear.

Blu Notte by Bulgari

This is a strikingly attractive fragrance. It's rich and lovely but slightly playful. My sons say it smells like "candy" because their little boys noses must automatically focus on the chocolate notes; but the ginger and vodka make this pack one sexy punch! I love Chanel Allure and Chance but Blv Notte has topped both of them with overall compliments and the number of times I reach for it. I love it year-round.

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

This smells great! At first it smells citrusy and fresh, and the deep woody drydown keeps me maniacally sniffing myself. This fragrance is a mood elevator, and it's unique. I swear I smell cinnamon in this and something about it reminds me a little of Dior Addict. It doesn't smell like Dior Addict though, there's just a note that my skin brings out that's common to Addict and Merveilles. This would be quite nice on a man or a woman, but because I know it as a scent I wear I don't think it would smell particularly masculine to me. It's not particularly feminine either, which is part of its appeal. If I hadn't blown my budget on Un Jardin Sur le Nil I'd buy this immediately. But I'm definitely saving up for this unusual "water of wonders."

DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan

I'm definitely not a fan of most apple fragrances, but Be Delicious is an exception. When I smelled it on the test strip it reminded me of shampoo, but on my skin this is a really wearable, refreshing, and stylish fragrance. I'm going to purchase this one! I love the bottle, too.

Orange Blossom by Jo Malone

Jo Malone Orange Blossom is one of the most beautiful things I've ever smelled. It smells like an orange grove on a warm night with just ripened orange blossom flowers and hints of sultry jasmine. This is perfect to lift my spirits and I love it in all seasons. It makes me feel like I can live the romantic, carefree days of summer all the time.

Blue by Ralph Lauren

I fall for with nearly all Ralph Lauren fragrances. I wore Lauren in college, Safari in my 20s, Romance in my 30s, and now Blue (not quite 40). I didn't think any fragrance could top the wearability and lovliness of these earlier Ralph Lauren fragrances, but Blue has managed to do just this. It's utterly beautiful; flowery, feminine, watery, and cool, and it reminds me of the Pacific Ocean on a crisp spring evening. This is my most-worn fragrance right now, as it seems to suit all moods and all weather. I love, love this fragrance.

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

*Updated review* Light Blue is an energetic, positive, lovely fragrance that manages to be uplifting, fresh, and sexy at the same time. It works well in hot weather, but it's a perfect pick-me-up on a cold gloomy day. Oddly, it starts out with heavy cedar notes on my skin and seems to get more apply and citrusy as the day goes on. When I wear it, I continually get whiffs of something that smells fantastic, and then I smile, because I realize it's me! Love it!

25 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 01st November, 2007)

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

Calvin Klein fragrances have never appealed to me, and Euphoria is no exception. To me it smells like a combination of Obsession and Cinema, and it's not as striking as Obsession or as bad as Cinema. This smells quite nice on the paper test strip, but on my skin it's just boring.