Reviews by Tovah

Tovah's avatar
    Tovah

Pleasures Delight by Estée Lauder

I like it. A lot. Pleasures Delight isn't as foody on me as it seems to be on others. It's sweet, pretty, and very light. If you're looking for sugar-candy sweet, you may love Keiko Mecheri Loukhoum, or Pilar and Lucy The Exact Friction of Stars. Pleasures Delight has This is one of the few scents my husband has ever commented on, and he said, "You smell good." He usually thinks vanilla-based scents smell like "cookies" or "candy", but he said Pleasures Delight is "pretty". (This means he smells some flowers. Most of the fragrances he likes on me -sadly, very few- are florals.) I don't smell original Pleasure in Pleasures Delights, nor do I smell the kind of strawberry from Miss Dior Cherie. It's along the lines of Hanae Mori Butterfly, but the patchouli dry-down saves it from being as cloying and dessert-like. I used up a whole bottle of this when it first came out, didn't wear it for about a year, and found myself missing it. I repurchased it, and I like it even better than I did originally! It's a fun, easy, happy fragrance that's great for wearing on my adventures with my kids.

21st August, 2008

Tea Rose by Perfumer's Workshop

The Chrysler Imperial Rose, the only rose breed I've heard of that's named for an automobile (now vintage), was "launched" with the auto, and, so far, has long outlasted it. Better cars have come our way, but the Chrysler Imperial Rose is one of the finest tea roses grown in international gardens. It is an absolutely gorgeous hybrid tea rose with huge, vivid, rose-red flowers and a dewy, rich, classic tea rose perfume. Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose smells like a bouquet of Chrysler Imperial blooms, cut early on a warm morning, and placed in a crystal vase. Its lasting power is incredible, (as is the amount of fragrance, esp. for the price!), and a full spritz of it can scent an entire room for hours. For lovers of the heady smell of fresh roses, this fragrance should not be missed. If you could take the aroma of Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare and multiply its concentration by ten, you'd have something surprisingly similar to Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose.

18 August, 2008

Pure White Linen by Estée Lauder

Pure White Linen is a very, very light scent that briefly calls to mind the classic White Linen, and then disappears. My skin simply cannot hold onto this stuff, which is faint to begin with. It's fresh and pretty. I don't smell any citrus or sweetness. With all the notes listed I thought it may be complex, but to me it's pure "air notes". It's been very hot here, so maybe this will be better in cooler weather.

12 August, 2008

Moon Garden by Strange Invisible Perfumes

Toluene is a chemical solvent produced catalytically from crude oil to make high octane gasoline. It can dissolve many substances, such as paint, glue, and rubber. It smells like benzene, whose odor is commonly associated with paint thinners. Toluene was first isolated from Tolu Balsam, which is a natural resin with a complex, warm aroma. The Strange Invisible Perfumes website describes Moon Garden as "luxuriant tuberose, jasmine, and pikake, bejeweled with African resins". After one whiff of Moon Garden, I guessed that the "resins" of the scent description must be Tolu Balsam, because my first thought was, "This smells like gasoline and paint thinner." I had my son sniff it, and he said, "It smells like minty ammonia." My husband said, "I can see why they named it after a garden on the moon..." The title actually refers to night-blooming gardens, redolent with the blossoms of Night Blooming Jasmine, tuberose, pikake, and other white flowers that take advantage of night pollinators. I adore these blossoms, so I was excited about trying Moon Garden. I hoped that, like the infamous but beloved Tuberose Criminelle, or the camphory Carnal Flower, the harsh, jarring topnotes would evolve into an enchanting perfume. Unfortunately, Moon Garden refuses to be what I'd hoped for. Rather than the mystique and romance of a moonlit garden, Moon Garden evokes the time I struggled with a gas pump, and lost. I'd been soaked to the skin, and I couldn't get rid of the acrid odor for days. On a happy note, Moon Garden is one less fragrance for which I have to pay $135.00 for a 1.7 oz. edp. I would love to smell this on a person for whom it works, because I think it can be a fascinating, gorgeous work, if one can make it bloom.

10th August, 2008

Fair Verona by Strange Invisible Perfumes

When I was a kid I got a tiny vial of "Orange Blossom Souvenir Perfume" while on vacation in Florida. The 1/8 oz. bottle came in a cute little wooden orange fruit, and the cap of the bottle served as the stem. At the time, I believed it truly elicited the smell of the blossoms I'd smelled in Florida. I loved this souvenir perfume, and I remember it as having the pure smell of Florida orange blossoms, (in contrast with my perception of California orange blossoms, which only Jo Malone has captured perfectly in fragrance form). On my skin Fair Verona is a scent illustration of orange blossom that immediately evokes my concept of Florida orange blossom. Fair Verona quickly develops into a scent reminiscent of neroli essential oil, which makes me recall that little wooden orange. (There's nothing technical about this comparison, it's purely my olfactory response stimulated by my imagination - there may not be a drop of neroli in this, for all I know). On me, Fair Verona overall, is a soft, smooth neroli (bitter orange tree oil) scent. There's a hint of minty green upon application, but it fades quite quickly and develops into a fragrance that jolted into my memory the little wooden orange I had more than 30 years ago. Fair Verona has a fresh, sparkly opening that morphs into a deeper, oilier scent. Like Tropical Vial, one of the top notes reminds me of Un Jardin Sure le Nil, but this note is fleeting. Fair Verona's notes are listed (on siperfumes.com) as citrus essences from Italy, cardamom, green myrtle, Egyptian jasmine, Sicilian lemon, and bergamot. Fair Verona is a lovely fragrance, and I enjoy it throughly for as long as I can smell it. After about 20 minutes I have to sniff my skin, just to get the faintest whiff of powdery orange oil. It leaves a hint of scent on my skin that gets rejuvenated if I got outside in the heat, and it doesn't wash off easily in the pool or with sweat, but I wish it had a teeny bit of sillage. If this fragrance was as unique, unusual, and compelling as, say Magazine Street, I would spend $135.00 for an edp, and treasure it, but this won't be a purchase for me. If you love orange blossom/citrus/neroli, or you're enamored with Romeo and Juliet, you must try Fair Verona. As with all the ingenious Strange Invisible Perfumes, imagination and personal chemistry are the keys to unlocking their secrets.

10th August, 2008

Tropical Vial by Strange Invisible Perfumes

I've been hearing about, and reading about Strange Invisible Perfumes for years. If I had heard more positive things, I'd have rushed immediately to the boutique and tried every scent. However, the majority of opinion on these fragrances has been so negative, I've actually been afraid to try them. I love the website, and the fragrance descriptions are fascinating. Yes, they're a bit melodramatic, but they're lyrical, and rich with atmosphere; which is what I want from perfumes. I've been disappointed with hundred of fragrances that sound preternaturally astounding, but wind up being air fresheners to cover cat litter box odor. Recently I've gotten so extremely sick of sniffing new fragrances that cause absolutely no emotional response, and so tired of smelling Dream Angels Heavenly EVERYWHERE, that I wanted to try new scents even if their aromas were so awful they knocked me unconscious. I'm excited and thrilled to report that Strange Invisible Perfumes appear to be the kind of fragrances I've been yearning to explore, and not in the "knocked unconscious" way! Those of us who are "scent addicts" understand that our link to everything we remember in life comes with a scent association. Our remembered scents evoke an atmosphere, rather than a rendering of perfectly pleasant smells. Alexandra Balahoutis, the perfumer of SIP, clearly feels this way as well. These perfumes aren't manufactured for people who want to smell as fresh and clean and balanced as their antiperspirant. These are perfumes for those of us who FEEL, live, and remember our lives through fragrance. As for Tropical Vial...Tropical Vial creates a vivid, unique atmosphere that makes me think of a cave I explored on the Big Island of Hawaii. The individual notes don't really matter...this fragrance smells like that place on that island. If I sniff hard and try to pick out notes, I get something that, for a second or two, makes me think of Un Jardin Sur le Nil. The scent then reminds me of jasmine and green teas flavored with fresh citrus rind. It's uplifting, and mesmerizing. Unfortunately this fragrance is very weak on my skin. There really isn't any sillage, which would be all right if it lasted longer. But after about two hours, I can't even smell this when vigorously sniffing my wrists. I'm going to see if this works better depending upon my body temperature, because I have a feeling it's going to bloom in extreme heat. I definitely recommend trying Tropical Vial if you like the mystery of the tropics!

09 August, 2008

Magazine Street by Strange Invisible Perfumes

Magazine Street is the kind of fragrance that makes me remember why I fell so in love with perfumes in the first place. It's an olfactory incarnation of how life really smells, if you're lucky. I haven't yet been able to visit New Orleans after Katrina's devastation. New Orleans was one of the most fascinating, and definitely the most haunting, preternatural city I've ever visited. I could almost see the ghosts of Lestat, and Ignacious Reilly, and Blanche Dubois in the gardens, and the cemeteries, and wandering the balconied streets. Magazine Street, in its current paradigm, is an enchanting shopping area filled with antiques, artisan jewelry, excellent cafes, and comforting spas. Magazine Street was not completely destroyed by Katrina, so in the aftermath of the hurricane, "the show went on", allowing the city to have at least a little bit of economic recovery, and a lot of inspiration. Its shops have become a model for sustenance and positive community relations through their vital examples of "staying local" with all provisional and recreational purchases. Through vigorous work and immutable hope, Magazine Street is helping to soothe New Orleans. Magazine Street, the mesmerizing perfume, is a striking tribute to the spirit of the eponymous neighborhood. On a poetic level, it's the scent of air on a hot, sweet Southern evening, right after a vigorous rainstorm. You smell the flowers, dampness, greens, mustiness, and even the ghosts, filled with pain and joy. I get a hint of the French Quarter the - beignets at Cafe Du Monde, from a deep vanilla note. On a literal level, Magazine Street perfume is a magnolia-vanilla version of Frederic Malle Carnal Flower. It begins with a camphor quality that I find irresistible, and its layers reveal magnolia, vanilla, vetiver, and musk, as lush, and assertive redolence. I think this fragrance is what mainstream marketing would call "unisex", because it smells more like a traditional "men's" cologne rather than a "feminine" perfume. This is an evening scent for me, mostly because I prefer dark vanillas when its dark outside, but it can be worn comfortably day and night. It's sensuous, beautiful, and singular, and all true fragrance lovers will probably at least appreciate it, if they don't fall head over heels in love with it, which is more likely.

09 August, 2008

Happy by Clinique

I like it a lot. I wore it on my wedding day, (it was brand new back then, so no one was sick of it yet). Happy is energetic, sparkling, fresh, and pleasant. Often I find myself complimenting others on their fragrance, which I find out is Happy. It smells quite different on others. My skin brings out the wood notes, but I smell the citrus notes on lots of other wearers. As long as it's not overapplied, Happy is perfect for any environment.

06 August, 2008

Beyond Paradise Blue by Estée Lauder

Beyond Paradise Blue is to an island beach what Paris Las Vegas is to Paris, France. Like Paris Las Vegas, it's a completely contrived rendition of programmed preconceived expectations, with very little to do with reality. BPB is much too choreographed to connote a real beach to me. That's not to say I don't like it. In a Disneyland-Make-the-Fantasy-Reality kind of way, Beyond Paris Blue is a lot of fun. To me it's a vacation at a resort (Mirage in Las Vegas, maybe, or Mandalay Bay?); reading a hard cover novel by the chlorinated pool, surrounded by perfectly maintained landscaping, having drinks served. For some reason, the smell actually does remind me of pool water, even though it doesn't smell like chlorine. PBP is not an overtly feminine scent, and its floral notes are heady rather than sweet. (Must be the "Eden's Mist Water Flowers" ??). The orange flower note brings to mind the Coppertone of my childhood, (or maybe that's the "Sun Kissed Skin"? LOL!), which may be why I'm reminded of s swimming pool. PBP is rather like a combination of Bobbi Brown Beach and Michael Kors Island. I cannot smell any of the individual notes the Estee Lauder website lists for this fragrance. It's not a scent with many facets. What you get at the beginning, you get at the end. Also, it's not very long-lasting. If it lasted longer I'd have given it 4 lippies, because it does smell attractive. The bottle is lovely - it just glows among my other bottles. I'll enjoy wearing this on very hot days, maybe when I'm gardening or doing errands, but I don't love it enough that I'll repurchase it. I probably won't even use up the whole bottle, and soon it will become a clean-smelling air freshener.

24 July, 2008

Kenzo Amour by Kenzo

KenzoAmour is a delicate, sweet, gentle fragrance. It is tender, and serene, and feels like that incomparable first love. It smells like cool white tea with floating plumeria blossoms and vanilla pods, set upon a bamboo table, with powdery incense burning, as the sun sets. It's sensual, calm, and evokes a sanctuary, with the timeless emotion of a lover's embrace.

24 July, 2008

Sensuous by Estée Lauder

Sensuous is multi-facted and multi-dimensional. Unless you've worn it for a full day, several times, you may have missed an aspect of this intricate fragrance. If applied heavily, Sensuous is jarring in its spiciness; its subtle black pepper note escalates to a scalding smog. If applied judiciously, Sensuous continuously changes over hours of wear; sometimes wafting a sugary note, sometimes exuding hints of lily, and sometimes projecting gentle, balsamy woods. In recent years, I found vanilla-less, dry-warm-wood fragrances only in niche lines. If you love the incense/spice/woods fragrances that have been popular in boutiques, Sensuous might turn out to be a very reasonably priced, gratifying addition to your wardrobe.

23 July, 2008

Vera Wang Bouquet by Vera Wang

What a boring, trite name. I love the eponymous Vera Wang fragrance. I think Princess smells adorable for a young lady. Even though neither Sheer Veil nor Truly Pink work for me, I appreciate their lovely, elegant femininity. I was excited to try Bouquet, and my first impression, on a scent strip, was positive. So, I sprayed some on my skin, and waited to see what the scent would do. After a few minutes, it smelled like crisp, tart, cool green apple. That's it. Maybe it was the day, maybe it was a bad tester bottle, maybe I'm going nuts, but Bouquet smelled like a pungent green apple cologne. I'm going to test it again, and update my review. After reading the list of notes, unless "dew drops" smell like green apple, I'm sure I missed something!

Midnight Poison by Christian Dior

Midnight Poison, on me, bears a striking resemblance to DKNY Delicious Night, if I layered Delicious Night with Mentholatum. I like Delicious Night on its own better. This Poison has none of the striking originality and creative genius of the original Poison, or the unusual cedar seductive sweetness of Hypnotic Poison. The bottle is beautiful, but the scent disappoints me. No intrigue or attraction for me from this Poison, even after several tests, (but at least it's not as awful on me as Pure Poison, which makes me appreciate my memories of Primo).

Daisy by Marc Jacobs

Pretty in a predictable, polite way. Very ladylike and subtle. I love the first Marc Jacobs (gardenia & white ginger), but Daisy is not for me. Daisy is a nice daytime fragrance that can be worn with ease in any workplace. It's fresh, clean, and flowery, but it's not distinctive to me. It's very "safe" for young ladies, and women who enjoy discreet, unlikely-to-cause-reaction fragrances. If you like Amazing Grace (I love it) you may want to give Daisy a try! I'm not sure I'll recognize Daisy when I smell it again, even though its sales statistics indicate it's everywhere. The lasting power is okay, but not great, and the bottle is adorable.

Cuir Beluga by Guerlain

When I see the name, all I can think of is Leather Fish Eggs...so it's no wonder it took me so long to try this. Actually, trying it wasn't even my idea. A friend gave me a generous decant after I sniffed from her bottle and nearly fainted. This fragrance is absolutely stunning! The prominent notes for me are amber, aldehydes, vanilla, and what I think of as a "cashmere" accord. Cuir Beluga has a vintage feel, calling to mind classic, womanly aldehyde scents like No. 5, Shalimar, Emeraude, Arpège, Bois des Iles, etc. Cuir Beluga is a soft, gentle, airy scent even though it's so warm. I don't smell a bit of leather in this, and the most prominent note on me is "burnt sugar", not unlike the burnt sugar note I get from Flowerbomb. Cuir Beluga is romantic, gentle, and almost snuggly. I sniff myself and swoon.

Rush by Gucci

That ugly, unsuitable bottle put me off for way too long...but recently, while desperately trying to find a fragrance that seemed remotely interesting, I tried this at Kohl's (of all places). I fell for it immediately...it may even be love. Rush is confident, elegant, sensual, and, best of all, distinctive. Many fragrances smell so similar that I get bored with them. I love fragrance beyond reason, so I truly appreciate a fragrance that intrigues me. Gucci Rush is great with my chemistry, and, based on compliments it receives, it seems to be attractive to people of all ages. It's truly radiant. I cannot imagine why it comes in the plastic, bright red, tacky bottle that gives me '80s nightmares. If it were up to me, I'd put it in an Opium-style bottle, and make the liquid amber colored. Rush makes me think of a desert night, illuminated by a bright moon, redolent of hot, dry air and lush white flowers. Purplebird7 hit the nail on the head with her analysis of the base-notes. And it's the same for me; whatever unpronounceable chemical concoction it is that rounds out Rush, it really works with my chemistry! This fragrance is exciting, and uplifting.

White Linen by Estée Lauder

Way back in the 1970s my mother got free purse-spray bottles of Lauder fragrances when she purchased her Estée Lauder makeup. She'd give these bottles to me. As a child, I was already fragrance-crazed, so being gifted with a Real Woman's Perfume was thrilling. Over the years I'd been given cast-off EL minis of Youth Dew, Private Collection, Azurée, Estée Super Cologne, and Cinnabar,etc. I loved having the little bottles, but it never occurred to me to wear any of these fragrances. I believed they were obviously for Older Sophisticated Women. I was 12 when White Linen was launched. I remember watching my mother test it by spritzing the purse-spray she'd gotten with her makeup. She crinkled her nose, and claimed it would give her a headache. I recall that when she smelled White Linen on me, she was astonished at how pretty it was. "You wear perfume well," she said. I agreed happily. I was thrilled with White Linen. I thought it smelled like lilac and crisp green leaves. None of the familiar woman's fragrances had smelled so natural, and summery. I treasured my White Linen because it made me feel vivacious, and quietly elegant. As a scent, it was like wearing a white eyelet blouse, and fresh flowers in my hair. I think White Linen was the groundbreaking forerunner of many popular clean-floral fragrances, but it doesn't smell outdated to me. The aldehydes in the top-notes give it a timeless refinement, and add sparkle to the unique blend of flowers, and the dewy-yet-airy feel that makes White Linen a classic. If you like YSL Paris, Calèche, Clinique Wrappings, Calandre, and/or Nocturnes de Caron, you should not miss giving White Linen a test run.

Olive Flowers by Madini

This is a very rich and sensual amber-vanilla-incense perfume. At first it smells so much like Shalimar parfum, I'm not sure I could tell the difference between Olive Flowers and Shalimar on my skin. After it sinks into my skin, however, Olive Flowers develops in a very different way from Shalimar, and it eventually becomes enchanting, with no need of comparison. Olive Flowers starts out lemony and sweet, and hints at seduction. As it dries down the warm, slightly powdery amber notes get deeper, and enhance the haunting incense notes, adding drama and unabashed sexiness. The price is incredible. I'd expect to pay much, much more for such a beautiful, high quality perfume.

14 July, 2008

Dianoche Ocean by Daisy Fuentes Beauty

If you liked Miami Glow, Dianoche Ocean is definitely worth a try for you. Dianoche Ocean is a bright, fruity, flowery mix that smells like a summer vacation on a tropical beach. The attractive bottle is really two bottles that snap into each other like Legos. The top bottle is the "night" fragrance, and the bottom bottle is the "day" fragrance. The "day" fragrance is candy-sweet, with lots of sugary vanilla and pineapple. It's a little too heady and cloying if over-sprayed. However, the "night" fragrance is deeper with dry coconut, and rich with amber and light patchouli. When layered with the "day" fragrance, the "night" version tempers the whole blend into a very wearable, extremely long-lasting, classic "beachy" fragrance. It's a feel-good scent that's full of fun, and highly unlikely to attract the attentions of the Fragrance Sensitives. It's sold at Kohls, reasonably priced, and in a very pretty bottle. The ridiculous sounding notes listed on the Kohls website are: "Day"- mojito accord, bitter orange, "watery splashes" (??), orange flower, jasmine sambac, tiare, sandalwood. "Night" - bergamot, bitter orange, "dewy greens", vanilla orchid, jasmine sambac, gardenia, "beach flower" (?), "unique merinque accord" (?), coconut water, amber, patchouli.

03 July, 2008 (Last Edited: 15 July, 2008)

Virgin Island Water by Creed

If this was a body spray or lotions at Bath & Body Works, I'd probably buy it. There is no way I'd pay $110.0 for an ounce of this stuff, though. Virgin Island Water is so much like Ananas Fizz on my skin, that I've actually confused them. Virgin Island Water is heavy on the coconut, though, while Ananas Fizz highlights pineapple. Virgin Island Water has fabulous lasting power. It's a refreshing, sugary, coconut-citrus, rum cocktail of a fragrance. This is nice for men and women, especially in hot, humid weather. If I didn't already have a huge bottle of Ananas Fizz I might be tempted by Virgin Island Water, but I doubt I'll be purchasing this scent.

29 June, 2008

Cruel Gardenia by Guerlain

Maybe the problem is that I don't get ANY gardenia, and I wanted gardenia. The "cruel" thing about this gardenia, it its absence. It's as though the base of the scent shows up, but the heart never appears. Cruel Gardenia reminds me of vintage face powder, Coty Airspun, maybe? I smell aldehydes, powder, musk, and aluminum. I don't know how to classify this fragrance in my mind...it's not a floral...it's not a chypre...and it's not sweet...It's subtle, and musky, and talcum-y, and metallic. If it's supposed to give the "impression" of gardenia, rather than the scent of it, it misses the mark by a mile for me. With a dramatic name like Cruel Gardenia I thought this fragrance might be, at the very least, interesting. For me, it's, well...boring.

No. 5 Eau Première by Chanel

WHEN will this return? I am so excited to purchase a full bottle! This is utterly gorgeous. It's warm, elegant, feminine, sensual, and it doesn't develop the mothball accord on my skin that inevitably emerges from Chanel No. 5 edt. Instead, the basenotes radiate a dry vanilla that works beautifully with the lush topnotes, and balances the aldehydic notes. Eau Première smells the way I've always dreamed Chanel No. 5 would smell on my skin. It melts into it, and becomes something magical, and irresistible.

Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estée Lauder

Tuberose-Gardenia is one of those fragrances where I say, "This is beautiful. But it hates me." I got a decant of this, and the day it arrived my 17 year old goddaughter was visiting. I've turned her into a Perfumista, so she couldn't wait to try my newest prospect. We applied the Tuberose-Gardenia in the same places on our arms, at the same time. On her, the scent started out very green, became a full, rich gardenia, and disappeared within the hour. On me, the scent smelled like the freeway air in August, with a touch of carnation. (I hate carnation). It lasted all of two hours on me; an unpleasant two hours, because it gave me a headache. I love tuberose, and gardenia, and I wear as many fragrances with these notes as my chemistry will tolerate (not all at once), but something about my skin brings out the piquant smell of asphalt from gardenia and tuberose essences. So this one's not for me. It's too bad, because this is reasonably priced and in a very pretty bottle.

Matthew Williamson by Matthew Williamson

I bought this at TJ Maxx for around $12.00, and that price suits it. It's an extremely light floral that smells very pink and clean. To me, it's actually hard to smell unless I spray a lot of it. It's pretty and very "Avon-ish" in a mass-market, never offend anyone kind of way. If it had a little more "oomph" in the basenotes, it would be a very nice fragrance, but, on my skin, it smells like it's missing something. The marketing for this scent calls it "beachy" but I don't get this at all. More like "Miss Marple's Garden." A certain element of Matthew Williamson reminds me a lot of The Pink Room (which I adore). They do share many similar notes, but MW has none of Pink Room's drama or presence. If you want a pretty clean scent to wear to the office, Matthew Williamson is one you'll want to try.

Michael Kors / Michael by Michael Kors

I have edp, edt, lotion, and leg shine. I love this fragrance. It smells of tropical tuberose, and it creates a feminine, joyful atmosphere. I don't think it's heavy, nor do I think it has much sillage. Actually, I wish it was a bit stronger; it fades somewhat quickly and I have to refresh it during the day. The incense notes are very, very faint on me, as well. I don't mind, because this is a beautiful, elegant, and radiant take on tuberose, and this fragrance suits my chemistry perfectly. It's a very "me" fragrance, that I'm sure has a permanent part in my fragrance wardrobe. The bottles are gorgeous, too.

DKNY Delicious Night by Donna Karan

My testing of this was with the body lotion, not the edp. Sometimes scents in different forms react in different ways on my skin; so this review could be inaccurate for the edp. Anyway, I like this smell, but it's not something I would wear. I don't mind smelling it on others, but it gets overwhelmingly sweet on me. And it smells so...clean...definitely has that infamous "dryer sheet" accord to me. I was hoping it would have a mysterious air, or something that connotes "night" to me, but it smells like a berry fruit smoothie to my nose. Berry fruit smoothie + Tide Laundry detergent. The drydown is sugary, and light patchouli, and is, by far, my favorite part of the fragrance. At the beginning, it's the kind of fragrance smell I've noticed when chaperoning my son's junior high dances; not what I've smelled in NYC clubs. But when it dries down, it's good enough that I would consider purchasing it. I really like this after it develops into a creamy, seductive, but still very sweet scent. It's interesting because, where I'd expect to smell vanilla, there is patchouli, and possibly amber; giving this a similarity to Flowerbomb. Delicious Night's color is gorgeous and the bottle, like all the "Delicious" bottles, is adorable. If you like juicy-fruity, sweet scents, you may enjoy this very much, and you should give it a try!

Gardenia Musk by Ava Luxe

A beautiful, clear, pure gardenia that doesn't get sharp, and lasts a long time. If you love creamy, not peppery gardenia, you should try Gardenia Musk. Kai is one of my favorite fragrances. Gardenia Musk doesn't smell like Kai, but it satisfies my need (caused by Kai) for more tropical gardenia in my fragrance wardrobe. Gardenia Musk is a very lovely, well-blended, fresh floral. It's refreshing and uplifting.

The Sands of Aqaba by Miriam Mirani - Aqaba

Whew! The notes and description of Sands of Aqaba made me imagine it as a very different scent. I was expecting a dry, vetiver-green, floriental (probably because the name called to mind "Dior Dune"). I wanted it to solve the mysteries hidden in the deserts of the Holy Land. Instead, Sands of Aqaba is a heavy, strong, powdery floral that, oddly, reminds me of that old drugstore favorite, Jontue. I don't mean this as a put-down; every once in awhile I used to wear Jontue in high school, (it was a gift), and I have very happy memories of it. I haven't smelled it in over 20 years, though, so don't think Sands of Aqaba smells like Jontue, based on my shaky memory. Every once in awhile a hint of Sands reminds me of Chanel No. 19 (the original masterpiece), as well. (If it happened more often, I'd probably have to purchase this.) Sands of Aqaba is a beautifully crafted perfume of obvious high quality and the finest ingredients. I was hoping it would be more exotic, and, frankly, sexier. Heavier on incense. This is a very formal fragrance, that I cannot associate with any romance, let alone an ancient secret romance. I think I dislike Sands on myself because I'm not a fan of iris, (now I'm dodging bullets!). Some notes of Sands are Florentine Iris, Vetiver, and Tuberose. I was hoping for lots of Tuberose, noticeable Vetiver, and a mere hint of Iris. Alas, that's just not how this works on my skin. Even though I won't be pining for Sands of Aqaba, I recognize that it's a very fine fragrance.

Midnight Sun by Miriam Mirani - Aqaba

Exquisite, elegant, and strikingly gorgeous. This fragrance definitely satisfies my romantic hopes for the Aqaba line. Midnight Sun is the sexiest out of all the Aqabas, and it's also sensual, and mysterious. I definitely associate this fragrance with Mirani's themes as the olfactory evocations of the ancient secret love of King Solomon and the Queen of Sheba. The first blast of Midnight Sun reminds me (oddly) of Passover wine, which may not be something one would want to smell like. However, it connotes festivity, and appreciation of life, for me. This initial blast of booze doesn't last more than a few seconds, and then the fragrance becomes its unique, seductive self. Midnight Sun has sandalwood like the classic Bois des Iles (parfum) sandalwood, which stays throughout all stages of wear, and enhances all the other notes. A spicy gardenia blends beautifully with a deep, dark rose, and bright, heady orange blossom. The tuberose haunts in unison with the sandalwood, making this unusual perfume irresistible. A beautiful creation. Like all the Aqabas, the packaging is exquisite: a woven cane box containing a tinted glass, jeweled bottle; a collector's delight.

Jewels of Blu by Miriam Mirani - Aqaba

Juicy and summery, yet deep. The topnotes, unmistakably, are sweet peach nectar, and fleshy, syrupy apricot. Pink pepper (rose de mai) adds a very subtle kick, that doesn't come through for very long. The heart of the fragrance is a calm, very "blue" smelling jasmine, not unlike Ralph Lauren Blue. Please don't think I'm suggesting Blu smells like RL Blue; it's just that its jasmine is watery, and cool. Jewels of Blu is far more complex than RL Blue, and instead of being a soft floral, it's sultry and exotic. Vanilla and patchouli are blended so perfectly, and are integrated so exquisitely into the other notes, that they remain secretive. If patchouli isn't to your liking, you will never know it's in Jewels of Blu; it's used to support the other notes, not to take the stage. A sensual musk rounds out Jewels of Blu, ensuring that it cannot be a cheerful fruity floral. This is an intriguing perfume that's bound to get many comments and compliments. Like all the Aqabas, the packaging is exquisite: a woven cane box containing a tinted glass, jeweled bottle.