Reviews by Tovah

Tovah's avatar
    Tovah

Aqaba Spring by Miriam Mirani - Aqaba

The seemingly endless assembly line of fragrance flankers, poised to sell because of a previously successful name, made me apprehensive about trying Aqaba Spring. I was afraid it would be some nasty "light:", "fresh", "summer", "purple", "pure", "white", or who-knows-what version of Aqaba. It is, indeed, a version of Aqaba, but it's brilliant! Anyone who knows Aqaba would recognize it in this heady, spicy blend. The addition of bright, flowery notes makes this a Spring fragrance...at first. As it dries down, it's sultry Aqaba, maybe a little less potent. I prefer the drama of Aqaba, but this is a thoroughly beautiful, enjoyable, fine perfume.

Aqaba by Miriam Mirani - Aqaba

Upon first sniff I thought, "Wow, this is too MATURE for me." Then I cackled a bit and reminded myself that I'm 42 years old. So I dabbed on a drop from my sample. And then I dabbed it again. Before long I was wearing it again, and again. Wearing Aqaba, for me, is a fantasy of playing the part of The Queen of Sheba with all the excess of Elizabeth Taylor as Cleopatra, Vivien Leigh as Blanche Du Bois, Lauren Bacall as Vivian Sternwood. Opulence, mystique, intelligence. The key player in a dangerous game. Mirani's website lists Aqaba's notes as Eqyptian jasmine, Bulgarian rose, cinnamon, clove, cardamom, damask rose, frankincense, peach, tea leaves, white cedarwood, and oak moss. As it blends into my skin the basenotes are almost chocolatey; lush and tempting. Aqaba is deeply beautiful, and incomparably elegant. It gives off the air of having been created especially for someone very powerful, and exceptional. This has dramatic sillage, and outstanding lasting-power. If you are a fan of Biagiotti's Venezia, Chanel Coco, MPG George Sand, EL Cinnabar, and/or deep, incense fragrances, you will probably want to swim in Aqaba.

Vera Wang by Vera Wang

A sparkling, lush floral bouquet that leaves a lovely sillage of stephanotis jasmine. Great for daytime and evening and a husband-pleaser! Feminine, and all-around beautiful.

Saks Fifth Avenue for Her by Bond No. 9

Alluring, sexy, and magically tropical. If you love HEADY gardenia and tuberose with dry, woody coconut, you will love this. It's a fabulous, head-turning, hyperconfident floral with outstanding lasting power and striking sillage. The bottle is fabulous, too.

07 December, 2007 (Last Edited: 28 June, 2008)

DKNY Red Delicious by Donna Karan

Completely wonderful smelling, fun fragrance. My 13 year old son compliments it (and Be Delicious). Red Delicious is a definite pick-me-up that can be worn day and/or night. It smells airy and juicy, yet classy, and the bottle is adorable. I don't find this scent to be "sexy" or even particularly sensual. The overall smell is what I can describe only as "sparkling" and this must come from the champagne note. The apple note is definitely red apple, like a McIntosh; sweet and juicy. The drydown is dry vanilla bean and soft amber - warm and inviting. This is a fruity fragrance for cozy winter holidays and it makes me think of hot cider and fresh cool air.

07 December, 2007

Falling In Love by Philosophy

I've gone through several bottles of Falling in Love, and I will continue to repurchace it. I feel feminine, pretty, and cuddly when I wear this sweet, light fragrance. It's been my younger son's favorite fragrance for years (he's now 8), and he still asks me to wear it all the time "for him." Falling in Love is a burnt-sugar-blackberry-vanilla-musk that somehow manages to be fresh and lovely in the summertime and warm and cozy in the winter. I can't stop smelling my own wrists when I wear this! I also love the body wash, especially before bed. Falling in Love is a comfort scent in a soft, natural, pretty way. It's a great, easy daytime scent, but it's wonderful sprayed on bedsheets, too

07 December, 2007

Nina (new) by Nina Ricci

A fun fragrance that comes in a precious little apple-shaped bottle with a chain of silver leaf charms (1.0 oz. bottle). It looks adorable with my other bottles. This is a creamy, slightly syrupy sweet fragrance that is the kind of thing I wear when I take my kids to Disneyland. It's pure sugary fun and brightness. If you're looking for something seductive, don't look here. Nina is for those times you want to smell sweet and bright, and natural. It's clean and cuddly and feminine, but not little-girlish. Nina starts out with a citrus burst, but the toffee apple notes (mostly toffee, the apple is weak on me) emerge very quickly, and stay put. Nina is by no means unique, but it's enjoyable, and if, like me, you're crazy for bottles, this is worth the asking price on discount fragrance sites. I've read some reviews that say this calls to mind the original Poison, and, as far as a note in the drydown goes, for some fleeting moments, I agree. There is definitely a note, or a feeling I get that calls Poison to mind. Nina, however, has none of the darkness or cloying oddness of Poison, and the impression doesn't last long. But there's some sort of juicy note in there that brings back a very old memory..The lasting power of Nina is very good, and the fragrance stays close enough to the skin that no one in the workplace will be reporting their perfume allergies to HR because of you.

02 November, 2007

Secrets D'Essences Voile d'Ambre by Yves Rocher

To me, Voile d'Ambre smells classically beautiful, sensual, and elegant. It's a very "womanly" fragrance, like Chanel No. 5, Obsession, or Must de Cartier. If you like warm, ambery, seductive fragrances, do try this one. It's of very high quality, and its lasting power is excellent. It reminds me a lot of Estee Lauder Intuition, but Intuition gets a "maple sugar" note sometimes on my skin, and I don't like it. Voile d'Ambre just stays warm, ambery, and smooth; it smells like amber-colored silk would smell, if it had a fragrance. Yes, in the past Yves Rocher has had some downright "cheap" products, but this is not one of them. Even though the price is reasonable, there's no mistaking the quality and craftsmanship in this sexy and lovely fragrance.

Ailleurs et Fleurs by Different Company

The sample I tried is called Un Parfum d'Ailleurs & Fleurs, which gives a completely different meaning to what the fragrance is supposed to evoke (flowers, rather than leaves). I can't find a fragrance with the name listed by Basenotes, so I think the name is a typo. Un Parfum d'Ailleurs & Fleurs is a very pretty, watery fresh floral, but it's pedestrian. I was expecting a dewy, haunting floral that might last awhile, but it's weak on me. This fragrance has a beautiful rendition of orange blossom, but the tuberose and other florals never quite emerge. The drydown is a gentle musk; the kind that's perfect for crowded elevators and allergy-sensitive co-workers. I'd love this if it had more "oomph" but it smells like it's trying to be careful not to offend anyone. In my opinion, tuberose fragrances should never do this. This is a pretty fragrance, but it doesn't beg me to buy it, and the bottle is boring.

Smiley by Smiley Beauty

For years, I've been reading negative reviews about Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune's "b.o." and "cat urine" notes. Well, I've found a fragrance that evokes such odors for me. Smiley, of all things! I found this revolting; like cheap, obnoxious aftershave. I try to be open-minded about fragrances, but this one just repulsed me. (Please don't be offended if you love this. It just hates my particular chemistry, unfortunately.) On me, Smiley's blend of notes is cacaphonous and utterly annoying. I'll try it again in six months...maybe I've having a negative hormonal reaction or something. Sadly, I can't smell any orange, chocolate, praline or Curaçao. I get bergamot and patchouli, and something incensey. These notes sound good, but they're not good on me. In fact, Smiley smells okay when I sniff the sample. The positive thing (for anyone else) about this scent is that it's as strong as pure patchoulli oil on a hot humid day. I could not wash the stuff off.

Rose Absolue by Yves Rocher

A clear, spicy rose; reminiscent of Frederic Malle Une Rose. Cinnamon topnotes are delightful, and the overall rose is pure, and very natural. This isn't a sweet rose scent, nor is it powdery. It's rich and elegant, and quite distinctive. Some perfumes just smell expenisve, whether they are or not, and Rose Absolue smells expensive. It's obviously of high quality, and masterful blending. It's alluring, and the lasting power is excellent. Don't let the "rose" scare you away if you're normally not a rose fan - this is not a violet-rose, or a powdery-rose, or a rosewater rose...it's along the lines of Gres Cabaret, or a spicy Stella...sensual, and striking.

Gold by Donna Karan

Gold is a beautiful fragrance; very much along the lines of Marc Jacobs, with lily instead of gardenia. It stirs my imagination into thinking its a penthouse-in-Manhattan-then-weekend-in-the-Hamptons kind of scent. I'm wearing Gold right now, and as it develops, I'm smelling less lily, and more of a smooth, somewhat spicy "gold" smell that's warm and sensual. The bright lily notes are great for morning rush, and the spicier, golden tones are perfect for evening...and the morning after. The bottle is gorgeous - truly a perfume-bottle-work-of-art. To me, this fragrance comes across as a well-done, feminine, sultry fragrance. It smells "high quality" and it's very classy. I love that it's a lily-woody-musk, because that's refreshingly unique and so creative. This fragrance is suitable for a work environment, but it makes me envision it in an office with a panoramic view, solid cherry furniture, and Italian leather chairs. The Gold-wearer sits behind a large desk in this office, the view of the city at her back. At dinner-time, the Gold wearer has a table reserved for her in an exclusive restaurant that most people don't know exists. In the evening she goes home to a scented bath that has been drawn for her, and a bed that has been turned down. The mood of this fragrance is that of a highly independent, very successful woman who shows no vulnerability, but can be quite sexy when and if she chooses to. Gold brings to mind Glenn Close's character, Patty Hewes, on the TV drama, Damages, or Linda Fairstein's dynamic DA, Alexandra Cooper. Gold embodies the kind of woman that NEVER loses any game she plays, and when (not if) she wins, she has record-breaking scores.

Insolence Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

Guerlain Insolence is the scent-embodiment of Hamlet's beautiful but doomed lover, Ophelia; doe-eyed, filled with passion, overcome by madness. Gertrude adorns Ophelia's grave with violets, saying, "Sweets to the sweet"; a simple phrase that, combined with the symbolism of the violets, manages to evoke both love and tragedy. Insolence is a watery, very sweet violet fragrance, with notes of tart raspberry, pink and red roses, very blue iris, and a balsamy drydown. In 2007 I wouldn't expect or want Guerlain to release a L'Heure Bleue or Après l'Ondée, but, dare I say it: Insolence calls both to my mind. There is a romantic, melancholic beauty to Insolence. It's not apparent in the light, fresh topnotes, but give Insolence an hour, and you'll find yourself with an intricate, deeply emotional fragrance. The name and the marketing seem so "off" that I wonder if Guerlain came up with the concept and the "face" before Roucel actually presented this unusual, unique creation. I find the marketing for this fragrance almost hilarious: "The irreverent scent of youth, daring, and freedom..."?? Velvet Rope may fit this description, but the nearly fragile Insolence simply does not. Insolence is more "Mélancolie dans le printemps," or "Féminité aigre-douce". This fragrance is an extremely feminine, graceful scent; delicate, and almost ethereal. If I'd smelled Insolence, and then been told that Hilary Swank was going to be the "face" for this scent, I'd have laughed and thought it was a joke. Nothing against Swank, but her persona is just not the embodiment of this haunting, crystalline perfume. Diana Vishneva as Giselle would have been perfect for the Insolence I know and adore. (I'm no marketer, obviously. I'm just thrilled that I gave this fragrance a chance, because I would have missed out on something truly beautiful if I'd overlooked Insolence based upon its advertising. Plus, it is a Guerlain, after all!) My husband says he loves Insolence on me, which makes it extra special. The color of the jus, and the pretty bottle suit this fragrance well. Insolence is absolutely lovely.

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

Sultry, hauntingly beautiful, perfect redition of the air of a dry desert wind! I love, love, love this evocative, sensual fragrance. It's beautiful: dry, spicy, warm, elegant, and extremely long-lasting. It reminds me a little of POTL Luctor et Emergo sans cherry liqueur...because it has that outstanding "dryness" that must be terriby hard to capture. I am a lover of the desert, so smelling like desert air never fails to transport my senses to a place of happy moods and energy.

Délices de Cartier by Cartier

Délices frustrates me! I'm a bottle collector, and I want that bottle. But I haven't been able to rationalize purchasing a fragrance that bluntly refuses to be cohesive with my chemistry. (At least, in its current price range...when it gets cheaper...I'll probably cave). Aside from my attraction to the bottle, the fragrance itself is very weird for me. Upon initial spray it smells terribly familiar, but I can't call to mind what it's reminding me of. Then I get a blast of Baie Rose (pink pepper), afterwhich I get a tonka-ambery feel, and then a cherry drydown that smells similar to Grenadine...but at no time does it all blend together on my skin. The Grenadine note is odd for me, because my chemistry usually highlights deeper notes, especially tonka, therefore the cherry note winds up smelling artificial; overtly synthetic. The lasting power of Délices is mediocre, too. I'm in my third trimester of pregnancy right now, so my hormones are wreaking havoc with my scent chemsitry. I plan to try Délices in about six months, just to see if I still perceive its notes as cacaphonous. I want to like this fragrance because that bottle is really lovely.

Allure Sensuelle by Chanel

Rich, sensual, confident...gorgeous! I love it better than original Allure - and that's saying a lot. This is one of the most perfect cool weather perfumes, ever. It's a sexy, slightly spicy vanilla-patchouli that has that special Chanel sweetness. It's so warm and inviting, and as it develops on my skin, the fragrance becomes more sultry.It's just bewitching. This collects compliments constantly. The lotion is fabulous as well

Ellenisia by Penhaligon's

If you love Chanel Gardenia, you're sure to love Ellenisia, (at least, if your chemistry is anything like mine). Ellenisia is a lovely, feminine gardenia-jasmine-dry vanilla concotion that smells like a warm summer breeze in a garden filled with white flowers. There's a tiny hint of white rose as the fragrance develops, but the drydown is similar to the white floral opening, with stronger dry vanilla. Ellenisia is somehow "happier" than the Gardenia, regardless of their similarities. Chanel Gardenia's garden has a ghost, but Ellenisia's garden lacks all haunting, despite its otherworldly name.

Pur Désir de Gardenia by Yves Rocher

Wearing this is like crawling into the branches of a big fat fully blooming gardenia bush and getting intoxicated by the beautiful fragrance that's surrounding you. I have 3 kinds of gardenia in my yard, and YR Gardenia manages to smell like those pure gardenia flowers. I can honestly mistake it for the scent of gardenia in the air in my garden! Terrific stuff!

Marc Jacobs by Marc Jacobs

A gorgeous, elegant gardenia...Even if you hate gardenia (which I don't), there's a chance you'll like Marc Jacobs - it's so rich and smooth. There's no peppery note here for me; the gardenia is mellowed by a fresh clear honeysuckle, and light, yet sultry ginger. This blend is tempered beautifully and never becomes a harsh, loud floral. It's feminine, warm, and very sexy. I think this is one of the finest fragrances of the 2000s, and I feel it's a classic in its own time.

Éclat d'Arpège by Lanvin

Oh how I wish this one was around when I got married. It would be a perfect wedding day scent. Eclat d'aprege is the ultimate feminine, bright, refreshing, uplifting perfume. To me, it blows Vera Wang right out of the water. Notes of lemon leaves and lilac blend beautifully into florals of wisteria and orange blossom. A very slight cedar drydown rounds it off perfectly. It's gorgeous. The lilac- colored liquid and the beautiful rendering of mother-and-daughter on the bottle make it perfect for bottle collectors as well as those who love the juice inside. This fragrance can be purchased relatively inexpensively on discount sites, so it's more than worth every penny. If you enjoy scents like Bond No. 9 Scent of Peace and D & G Light Blue, you will certainly love Eclat d'arpege.

Cashmere Mist by Donna Karan

Cashmere Mist, for me, is one of the most outstanding fragrances that has emerged in the last 15 years. It's immediately recognizable, but always impelling. I bought my first bottle when it was released in NY (1994?) and it was unheard of here in CA. When I wore it, it seemed like everyone I encountered was mesmerized by it. Cashmere Mist sales distribution caught on quickly, and, although the fragrance became ubiquitous, its ability to personalize kept it from becoming cliché. Cashmere Mist doesn't smell like a "fresh" or "airy" fragrance on me. And, fortunately, it's never once brought to mind baby wipes, (I must buy the wrong brand of wipes!). Upon first spray, Cashmere Mist has airy qualities, but it quickly becomes an ethereal woody scent, with gentle sandalwood and suede notes. It smells mysterious, and balmy. This fragrance is absolutely beautiful, and its exquisite bottle is the perfect compliment for its luxuriousness. For me, this is not a fragrance that suits working out at a gym, or grocery shopping, or other mundane activities. I wear it when I need touches of beauty and elegance to boost my confidence and calm my spirits with lovliness.

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

Coco Mademoiselle has been a favorite of mine for years. I used to wear only edp, but lately I've switched to edt, and I prefer it. This is, to me, the best bourbon vanilla based perfume I've ever worn. It's so rich, and enticing. I think Coco Mademoiselle is seductive, sweet, and very classy. It always gives me a boost of confidence and it collects compliments everywhere I go. Coco Mademoiselle smells very different on individual wearers, and I've noticed that it has different "moods" in cool weather and hot weather. The spices come out in cool weather, while the burnt-sugarlike bourbon vanilla just radiates from my skin in heat. I love this, and it, along with many Chanels, will always be part of my fragrance collection.

Artemisia by Penhaligon's

Artemisia is absolutely exquisite in a delicate, ethereal, very feminine way. It smells like a Victorian garden, filled with pink and white and yellow flowers, and white wicker furniture, on a soft, warm day. It's very summery, light, and sweet. I wish it were a bit stronger and had better lasting power, but it's so pretty it's worth applying a lot. Notes are nectarine, jasmine tea, lily, green foliage, vanilla, woods, and amber. The tea-vanilla-amber drydown is especially wonderful.

Citrine by Ava Luxe

Citrine is a soft gourmand with vanilla, cream, and citrus. It reminds me of 50/50 bars, but, instead of the sugary synthetic orange smell, the topnotes come across as a tangy citrus blend. Citrine is lovely and alluring all by itself, but it's also great for layering with musks and ambers. Another nice thing about this warming perfume is that it would never be confused with candy or body-spray fragrances. It's tempting, and sweet, and works well as a daytime scent.

Vamp by Ava Luxe

Appropriately named, Vamp is a luxurious, elegant, complex fragrance that's irresistibly beguiling. Notes: Oriental spices, Amber, Sandalwood, Labdanum, Vanilla, and Cashmere Musk. If you're a fan of Coco, Bois des Iles, Opium, and sexy Orientals in general, be sure to give this gorgeous scent a try!

Bergamot by Ava Luxe

This is a great, refreshing citrus fragrance that has great lasting power and smells irresistible!

Opoponax by Ava Luxe

Opoponax is a nice fragrance, but I was hoping for something with a striking resiny accord. This is a very, very sweet Oriental with a light woodsy base. I get hints of a subtle spice, kind of peppery, as the fragrance dries down. I enjoy this fragrance, especially in cool weather, but I prefer Ava Luxe Opoponax Intense when I crave opoponax.

Silk / Peau de Soie by Ava Luxe

Stunning! This is one of the best chypres I've ever worn. Silk truly smells like silk feels; smooth and elegant. A gorgeous spicy accord, a sort of secret surprise, develops as the fragrance dries down. This is a perfume for a strong, confidant woman.

Light Musk / Musc Legere by Ava Luxe

Exactly as the name implies, this is a very light musk that's clean, and fresh, and it's great for those days when you can't decide what fragrance to wear. It's also a lovely bedtime scent.

Sweet Amber Wood / Bois Exotique by Ava Luxe

Gorgeous! Sweet Amber Wood is a rich, resiny amber fragrance that projects sensuality and elegance. Notes are sandalwood, patchouli, spices, and benzoin. It smells expensive, and it's beautiful!