Reviews by Tovah

Tovah's avatar
    Tovah

Ipanéma by Satellite

This is a beautiful, unique, oceany fragrance. The notes aren't uncommon, but this fragrance is one of the most outstanding marine-type perfumes I've ever smelled. It's perfect for inspiring an excited, adventurous mood. It doesn't smell like a sweet cocktail, and it doesn't smell like ocean water... somehow it manages to smell like both, yet it's alluring and womanly. Overall, a wonderful fragrance for celebrating life!

11th May, 2007

Perfect Veil by Creative Scentualization

Mmmm...dreamy. Perfect Veil is an alluring, sweet musk perfume that smells serene, and provocative. I've seen it compared to Sage Pearl, but it's distinctly different on my skin. Pearl and Veil are both considered to be "skin" scents, and Pearl is sweeter, and delicately feminine, while Perfect Veil is muskier, with a deeper essence. It makes me think of a sweeter, lighter Narciso Rodriguez For Her. Perfect Veil is a warm, yet mysterious, fragrant temptress...who doesn't intend merely to tempt. It's long-lasting, and it stays close to the skin, making it very personalized, and perfect to wear in crowds. A wardrobe staple for perfume Shangri-La.

11th May, 2007

Lullaby Super-fume by Perfume of Life

I've heard this compared to Après L'Ondée, and I definitely understand the comparison. Lullaby is a dreamy, light, violet-heliotrope fragrance framed by powdery dry vanilla. I don't smell the topnotes on this one, at all, which is a compliment to the balance of this composition. It's rare for me to find a fragrance with heliotrope that continues to smell like heliotrope if it's not a soliflore. Lullaby is the outstanding exception: it's definitely a heliotrope gem - heliotrope is the violin soloist and the rest of the blend is the orchestra, in perfect harmony. Lovers of Après L'Ondée must try this.

08 May, 2007

Sage by Sage Machado

Sage is a rich, fresh, leafy fragrance that smells like the stunning smell of blooms that suddenly permeates the air with the first rush of Spring. The sage note is distinct, but it's sweetened and mellowed by the sweet pea. The base of musks and tonka is the perfect enhancement to the intensity of the floral-herby greens. I've read that this is Sage's best-selling fragrance, and, although it doesn't top my love of Pearl, I had to own it.

05 May, 2007

Anné Pliska by Anné Pliska

Rich, gorgeous, sensual. It's somewhere between Obsession and Shalimar...but better. This is truly an unforgettable fragrance. It makes me feel special; elegant, rare.

05 May, 2007

Sahara by Madini

Sahara is a beautiful, sensual ambery fragrance with a warm, slightly powdery feel. There's a hint of spice on my skin, too, and a gorgeous resiny note that just melts me. Sahara reminds me a lot of both Dune and Addict. It's almost as though each of those contains Sahara in their ingredients. I prefer this to Dune, or Addict, or even Shalimar. This is a unisex scent in the way that Musc Ravageur is unisex, and it smells just as complex and irresistible.

27 April, 2007

Kinmokusei by Ayala Moriel

Kinmokusei, like all of Moriel's fragrances that I have tried, is outstanding, and unique. I own Kinmokusei, and I enjoy it very much. Moriel describes Kinmokusei as an "osmanthus soliflore", but this comes across on me with a complexity that is extremely rare for a soliflore. Konmokusei is a citrusy green tea fragrance which has a strange, alluring tobacco-like drydown. It begins in a zesty and summery way, but the drydown has a darkness that adds melancholy and quiescence. The deep base notes cause this fragrance to split from bright and light into a heavy, resiny scent. When I am in a contemplative mood, this fragrance works perfectly. It's fascinating.

27 April, 2007 (Last Edited: 29 June, 2008)

Amber by Sage Machado

In a nutshell, Sage Amber is the silkiest, richest, sexiest amber I've ever smelled. Absolute luxury.

20th April, 2007

U (Spectrum Collection) by Lily Lambert

Lovely! Soft, pretty, and feminine, with pink rose, caramel and Egyptian Sandalwood. I ordered this unsniffed, based on the notes, and I was completely prepared to be disappointed. Exactly the opposite occured, and I'm thrilled with this gossamer scent. It reminds me of poems of Emily Dickinson because it has delicate rosebud topnotes and a deep woodsy base. U is a lovely summer scent that's ethereal yet tenacious. I really enjoy U and I'm looking very forward to exploring the rest of Lily Lambert's fine line of perfumes.

19 April, 2007

Vanity by Voluspa

Vanity is a lovely, refined, seductive perfume oil. It has notes of mimosa, amber resin, sugar cane, and raspberry. I rarely purchase a fragrance on-the-spot. I like to try it on my skin, let it soak in, and see what it does to my mood. That didn't happen with Vanity. After one sniff from the bottle I knew I had to have it, and I was paying for the pretty little bottle as the liquid from the Tester developed with my chemistry. Vanity is a jewel in my collection; it's elegant, feminine, delicate, and it smells expensive, (even though it's not!). It reminds me a little of Chanel Chance, but it's very reasonable price makes it a fragrance I'm comfortable with applying to my heart's content, knowing I can replace it at any time.

Tuberosa by Voluspa

Fans of Kai will adore this beautiful fragrance. Tuberosa Agave has notes of tuberose, orris, coconut milk, musk, and vetiver. Its heady topical fragrance is romantic and intriguing and the price, ($19.95 at Planet Beauty!), can't be beat. The Victorian Collection bottles are lovely and look great with my other perfumes. The lasting power of the oil is great, too, and it moisturizes my skin. I keep thinking I smell something seductive and hypnotic, and then I'm thrilled to realized it's me!

Pink Fatale by Voluspa

I have a feeling that Voluspa's Victorian Collection perfume oils are going to be a huge hit, and I predict that Pink Fatale will be the superstar of the line. Pink Fatale's notes are pink grapefruit, mandarin, and arum lilies, on a base of sensual cashmere musk. It's hard to imagine anyone being able to resist Pink Fatale. This is an enchanting, magnetic scent, if ever there was one. It's very feminine, and while the notes may suggest a scent for young girls, Pink Fatale is womanly and provocative. The cashmere melts into the citrus and flower notes, making this a very sexy floral; perfect for a date on a warm summer night, or a Honeymoon evening. If you can't try all the fragrances in the Victorian Collection, do try Pink Fatale. It shouldn't be missed. It really smells divine!

Cult of Helios by Voluspa

Fans of Sage Pearl, Perfect Veil, and Etro Heliotrope may adore this beautiful fragrance. Cult of Helios has notes of heliotrope and buttery vanilla musk. Its a warm, sweet, skin scent with sexy hints of night-blooming heliotrope. In Greek mythology, Helios is the sun god, and a real Cult of Helios existed on Rhodes. My knowledge of Ancient Hellenist cultures is quite limited, so I have no idea what inspired the name for this feminine, soft perfume oil. The price is great: $19.95 at Planet Beauty! Voluspa's Victorian Collection bottles are lovely and look great with my other perfumes. The lasting power of the oil is excellent, too, and it moisturizes my skin. I keep thinking I smell something sweet, soft, and mysterious, and then I'm thrilled to realized it's me!

Corsica by Voluspa

If you like Mediterranean-inspired fragrances you must try Voluspa Corsica perfume oil. Corsica has notes of frangipani, orange rind, white peppercorn, and musk. It's a bright, sparkling, citrus fragrance that warms to an exotic floral. The price is great: $19.95 at Planet Beauty! Voluspa's Victorian Collection bottles are lovely and look great with my other perfumes. The lasting power of the oil is very good, too, and it moisturizes my skin. Corsica is a mood-lifting, sun-filled scent.

Alma de Alma by Madini

Alma de Alma is the epitome of how I imagine the alluring fragrances of antiquity. It's the consummate fragrance of seduction: deep amber, dry vanilla, skin musk, and resins. It's sensual, exotic, and evocative of a middle eastern desert. This perfume oil is very beautiful.

15 April, 2007 (Last Edited: 29 June, 2008)

Midnight Orchid by Susanne Lang

There is no vanilla fragrance more perfect than Midnight Orchid. This is one of my all-time favorites, ever. It's a stunning, bright floral vanilla with pure fresh tropical floral topnotes, and a warm, dry vanilla drydown. The lasting power is fabulous, and this scent layers well with every other fragrance I own - seriously! If I didn't own this one I'd think it was too good to be true. It's a permanent member of my collection. Midnight Orchid is beautiful, but it's also a kind of comfort scent. It provides a relaxed kind of aura; the one that surrounds you on a happy day, when everything feels just right.

14 April, 2007

Parfum No. 1 by The Pink Room

The Pink Room has become one of my favorite perfumes. It's elegant, and complex, sweet, yet confident, and utterly lovely. At first it reveals a deep heirloom rose aroma, and minutes later it becomes a bright, citrusy, rich rose blend. Just as it seems to center on rose, pink and white jasmine flowers and leaves make a grand entrance and, eventually, the Pink Room seems to create an aura of pink - like smelling the world a rose-colored scarf...This pink is not cotton-candy pink. It's the velvet, blushed pink lilac of a Pompon de Bourgogne rose. The Pink Room is a truly stunning and much too obscure perfume. If you have the opportunity you must try it.

14 April, 2007

Angel by Thierry Mugler

The patchouli and tendency toward "heaviness" that is characteristic of Angel suggests that it would work best as a Winter scent, yet, I much prefer wearing it in the Summertime. I'm not sure I even like it in the Wintertime. When my skin is warm and my body temperature is high, Angel is one of the most beautiful fragrances I could ever imagine. It's dreamy, feminine, magical, and comes across as a vanilla with light florals (a la Susanne Lang Midnight Orchid). In the Winter...well...I have to agree with some of the previous reviewers who find this fragrance to be, ahem, unpleasant. Angel needs to be applied with DISCRETION and it helps if it's worn where there's a lot of ventilation or some nice strong breezes. I worked with a woman who wore Angel heavily, every day and I swear the smell of it, ignited by indoor heating, used to seep through the walls. People would think she was in a room she'd vacated 1/2 hour before because her sillage was so...potent. But applied with just the right touch (too much is nauseating), Angel is really, really beautiful. I find La Rose Angel to be easier to wear, and much more versatile. I'd love to own it as well. In the meantime, Angel is such a classic, her beautiful bottle deserves to adorn my collection in all its groundbreaking glory. Works of genius aren't always enjoyed, or understood, but they can be admired and appreciated. Angel deserves this from me, at least. And I love wearing it, lightly, on a warm Spring day.

11th April, 2007

Love's True Bluish Light by Ava Luxe

Love's True Bluish Light is a sensual, vivid amber-vanilla that gets compliments every time I wear it. It's one of those irresistible scents that makes you feel warm, and sexy, and soft. I love to spritz it on my bedsheets.

05 April, 2007 (Last Edited: 22 July, 2008)

Perfect Nectar by Creative Scentualization

Perfect Nectar IS the perfect peachy, blossomy, heady, hot-weather blend. It smells cheerful and rested, and conjures the feeling of a summer day spent outdoors.

05 April, 2007

Pearl by Sage Machado

This beautiful perfume seems to have attained legendary status in the world of perfume addicts...and most deservedly so. To put it simply, there is nothing, absolutely nothing, like Sage Pearl. It's a warm, soft, vanilla-sandalwood-musk that somehow manages to shine like crystal and glow like the moon (both in the olfactory sense). It's enchanting, addictive, and superbly sensual. This perfume is lovely at any time of day or night, but I know for a fact that it's perfect for romantic encounters.

02 April, 2007

Angel Garden Of Stars - Rose Angel by Thierry Mugler

It's been many years since I've worn original Angel, so it's hard for me to compare La Rose with its inspiration. I can definitely say that La Rose is unmistakably Angel, and that I utterly love it. The difference I notice in La Rose vs. Original is that upon initial spray, and for the first hour or so of wear, there is a noticeable rosy warmth amongst the familiar Angel accord. As the fragrance develops, La Rose does not have a certain "melon" note that always turned unpleasant on my skin. Also, La Rose seems to be much lighter on the patchouli as well. I may be inaccurate about the melon and patchouli, because, as I stated previously, it's been years since I've worn Angel. I may understand it in a different way at this time. (Actually, I love Angel and I think it's one of the most superb perfumes ever formulated - I didn't like it on myself). I've always wanted to be able to wear Angel, but I felt it didn't work well on my skin. Well, La Rose Angel works like it was created for me! It's just gorgeous.

02 April, 2007

Hamptons by Bond No. 9

Hamptons is great on my husband and very good on me. I want to buy a Bond for my husband's upcoming birthday and I'm torn between Hamptons, Bleecker Street, and Wall Street. Of the three, I think he likes Hamptons the best because it's so clean and outdoorsy. It's perfect for wearing while playing golf or relaxing by the pool. I catch a whiff of Hamptons and can't stop myself from slinking toward that sexy smell...wearers - don't say I didn't warn you!

29 March, 2007

Onyx by Sage Machado

Sage Onyx is a rich, sultry perfume that's nothing like your ordinary coconut fragrance. It doesn't evoke island vacations or the beach, but it does transport me to a blissful state. This warm scent centers around dry, almost bitter coconut, that's sweetened with a luscious, yet dry vanilla, and resonant, mellow tobacco. I love to wear this as a sexy evening fragrance, but I have to be careful in public places, Onyx makes me unconsciously, compulsively sniff my own wrists! Anyone observing me must surely think, "That crazy lady smells amazing."

28 March, 2007

Fire Island by Bond No. 9

To me, Fire Island is the ungainly monster that Dr.Frankenstein created from my Coppertone suntan lotion childhood memories. It's toooo much; strong, and headache inducing. The worst thing about it, is that it has a note that reminds me of the smell of the lubricant used in doctors' offices. After sniffing a scent strip at the Bond No. 9 counter, I thought Fire Island smelled summery and warm, like orange blossoms and the beach. I sprayed one squirt on my arm and I was stunned at how suddenly it became oppressive. After about 5 minutes it became an extremely heavy, musky, siliconey scent, and the pretty orange blossom note turned into a piercing, unnatrual white floral accord. As luck would have it, I couldn't quell this stuff for anything. At the counter, I sprayed testers over it with nearly every Bond I like. Nothing subdued it, and nothing outlasted it. I smelled Fire Island on my arm for at least 34 hours, even after scrubbing with Noxzema, isopropyl alcohol, coffee grounds, and Zest. This one's not for me.

27 March, 2007

Velvet Rope by Apothia

Velvet Rope is interesting. It's not unpleasant, but on me it becomes sickly sweet. At first it smells like a Gin & Tonic that somebody spiked with vanilla liqueur and topped off with a few mint springs. After about an hour it smells like a whiff of cold air when you're skiing while chewing peppermint gum, and wearing cherry chapstick on your lips. Then it smells Juicy-Fruit gummy and musky-sweet, and very slightly powdery. I don't get any tobacco, smoke, or sex from this one. It's a fruity-vanilla musk with an initial unusual note that smells minty. This fragrance is okay, but I get tired of it really quickly on my skin. It loses its initial spark in the way the gum loses its initial flavor, and then just tastes sweet.

18 March, 2007

Tuberose by Jo Malone

Absolutely stunning tuberose! I love tuberose deeply, so my appreciation of this soliflore is immense. To me, there isn't another fragrance house that captures the true essence of florals as well as Jo Malone. Jo Malone Tuberose smells exactly like sultry, rich, white tuberose flowers. These flowers bloom at night, giving the Tuberose fragrance a signature air of sultry enchantment. I love to wear this Tuberose at any time, in any place. It makes me feel adventurous, intense, and confident that exciting days are coming soon.

18 March, 2007

L'Ete en Douce / Extrait de Songes by L'Artisan Parfumeur

L'été en douce is shockingly, perfectly beautiful. If I could make the perfume of my happiest summer memories, it would smell like this. L'été 's most striking note is linden, which crowns a blend of heady orange blossoms and freshly cut green grass. I know it's melodramatic, but this fragrance makes me hear birds singing and bees buzzing in still, warm summer air. L'été en douce is quite similar to my beloved D'Humeur Réveuse (Lazy Mood from the Sautes d'Humeur coffret). Also, it has the unique linden note of the beautiful D'Orsay Tilleul, with elements of limpid air and lush land. The lasting power is fabulous. Its scent becomes a part of my chemistry and radiates for hours and hours. This tenacity is surprising in a scent that comes across as soft and relaxed. L'ete en douce is one of Olivia Giacobetti's masterpiece fragrances; it does justice to the beautiful smells in nature.

15 March, 2007 (Last Edited: 09 June, 2008)

Purple Water by Asprey

Purple Water is a fabulous fragrance for refreshing the mind and spirit on a very hot day. It's mostly a soft floral, and the notes I detect are blossoms of citrus trees,(lemon and orange), white ginger, and aromas of the sharp, bright juices of lemon and orange fruit. Purple Water has a note of the purest, most true-to-life Lemon Blossom that I've encountered thus far in a fragrance. My dwarf lemon tree happens to be in bloom today, so I sniffed it to make sure the comparison isn't just wishful thinking. (It's not). Jacaranda flowers are a vivid lilac purple. They grow everywhere around here, and their scent carried on a breeze is zesty and linen-like. I haven't yet stuck my nose into a blossom, so this scent association may be inaccurate. The jacarandas aren't in bloom yet, or I'd have climbed up one today to smell the flowers. Purple Water is extremely clean; neither sweet nor sour. I've worn it all day and it still smells fresh and outdoorsy. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if the price was reasonable, but this fragrance isn't complex enough, or unusual enough, to seduce me into spending $75.00 on a 1.7 oz. edt.

14 March, 2007

Bryant Park by Bond No. 9

Bryant Park is a flirty, bright fragrance that's positively enticing. This clic concoction begins with a bright burst of fresh, tart raspberry. The raspberry becomes juicier, but not syrupy or sweet, as the fragrance warms with rose, white blossoms, and rhubarb. It sustains a tart feel, which is quite unusual on me when a fragrance has any type of berry. Bryant Park is clever, and radiates an aura of confidence. Even with heart notes of patchouli base, it's light, with an airy, amber silkiness. The raspberry note is prominent, and lasts throughout wear, but this never comes across as a run-of-the-mill fruity-floral. Overall, Bryant Park is a summery, feminine, stylish fragrance that I'm sure will be one of the stars of Bond's prolific line.

12 March, 2007