Reviews by Tovah

Tovah's avatar
    Tovah

The Scent of Peace by Bond No. 9

It's quite similar to Light Blue, minus the cedar, and Eclat d'Arpege, minus the apple, but the lily note makes it distinctive. This is an extremely lovely, uplifting fragrance that exudes joy. Lovely bottle, too!

12th March, 2007 (Last Edited: 18th July, 2008)

Park Avenue by Bond No. 9

I LOVE Park Avenue. I sampled it at the Bond counter at Saks last Saturday, and then sampled it again, and then again...and finally I had to admit this fragrance had completely captured my heart. I purchased it on the spot. Park Avenue is an elegant, perfectly lovely, hypnotic balance of fresh blossoms on a subtle vanilla base. I sense what I call a "tea" note, but that's probably my personal reaction to the chamomile. Park Avenue has the rare, and extremely desirable trait of smelling "alive". It has great lasting power, and satisfying sillage. I adore it.
    Park Avenue is special to me for another reason: it was the catalyst of one of those serendipitous, surreal life occurences that seem to be impossible, statistically. At the Bond counter, another woman was bewitched by Park Avenue just as I was. We sniffed, and oohed and ahhhed to each other for about 20 minutes. We each decided to purchase a bottle at the same time. While the SA was ringing up our purchases (and overloading us with samples), we began a converstation. After several minutes, we were simultaneously stunned into silence as we...recognized each other. It turns out she's an old dear friend with whom I used to communicate via another fragrance board; several years ago. We'd never met in person, but we'd always wanted to. A tragedy in my life took me away from my fragrance hobby for awhile, and, unfortunately over the years, I'd lost touch with this friend. Yet, across time and space, there we were on Saturday - buying a Bond and reviving a bond! Yet another amazing Perfume Moment. So...Park Avenue is lovely, and if you like to smell like a new garden on a balmy day, this one's for you.

12th March, 2007

Chantilly by Dana

This is the most radiant and happy scent of any vintage fragrance I know. Its orange blossom is bright and sunny and its amber kick is timelessly sexy. I love the roll-on deodorant as well as the fragrance spray. Something about Chantilly always cheers me up, and I think it's lovely, feminine, and summery.

07th March, 2007

Calypso Violette by Calypso Christiane Celle

Christiane Celle Calypso Violette is one of only two violet fragrances I've tried that I can wear well; the other being Penhaligan's Violetta. Others smell syrupy-sweet after about 10 minutes and give me a headache. Calypso Violette is a fresh violet, and it's the least powdery violet fragrance I've ever smelled. It has a deep rose undertone that emerges as the initial airy violet notes warm into my skin. The beginning has a raspberry note as well, which transitions to dark violets and dewy leaves, and a hint of white tea. Violet scents usually smell innocent and sweet to me, (possibly because the first fragrance I ever owned, at age 6, was Devon Violets), but Calypso Violette is sexy! The lasting power isn't great, but it's not bad for an edt. In cool weather I refresh it after about 4 hours of wear, and it lasts about an hour longer in hot weather. Violette is quite lovely, and I recommend giving it a try even if you despise violet. It's a really intriguing creation that's also priced reasonably for a boutique fragrance: $55.00 for a 3.4 oz. bottle.

06th March, 2007

Coquette Tropique by Monyette Paris

Coquette Tropique is a fun, happy tropical fruity-floral that lets you wear the mood of a California beach in the summertime. Very enjoyable, but I wish it lasted longer on my skin.

01st March, 2007

Monyette Paris by Monyette Paris

This smells pretty in the bottle and it smells pretty for about 1 minute on my skin. Then it smells exactly like a cheap gardenia candle, wax and all, masking the smell of stale cigarettes. I don't enjoy this smell. Fortunately the lasting power is awful on my skin, so I don't smell like a bad memory for long.

27th February, 2007

After My Own Heart by Ineke

Enchanting! "After My Own Heart" is a very fresh green scent with bright, true-to-life lilac and hints of fresh spring-water. It's En Passant without the bakery or the rain...En Passant on a sunny, lazy day...(My love for En Passant is unmatched, however)...

The staying power is all right, but not great.

But - both of my sons and my husband really like After My Own Heart, which allows me to rationalize the necessity of buying a bottle.

Voile de Jasmin by Bulgari

I adore Rose Essentielle, and I rather like Voile de Jasmin, however, it doesn't particularly like me. When I sniff the liquid it smells lovely, but there's a strange note in the air when I spray it (dare I think "hairspray"?) and the fragrance is somewhat bitter on my skin. It's also remarkably light and pithy. I like Voile de Jasmin very much as a layering fragrance, though. It works nicely with Rose Essentielle, and it's pretty with Jo Malone Orange Blossom, and also Kai. Maybe I don't wear jasmine soliflores well, because I haven't found one yet that works for me.

Amazing Grace by Philosophy

Amazing Grace smells like feeling good. It's just a wonderful, clean, bright fragrance that creates a pleasant aura. My husband thinks its sexy!

Nymphéa by Il Profumo

Beautiful - airy, cool, fresh. Nymphéa is true to its name through it's pure, white waterlily notes, but it's the hints of orange, jasmine, and light peach that make this outstanding on my skin. I swear I smell mint in the topnotes, and neither the fig nor the honey show themselves as individuals, but they're undoubtedly responsible for the dreamy sweetness in the drydown that makes me just love this fragrance.

09th February, 2007

Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone

EDIT! I've recently received a sample of this with a JM order and, I tried it again. As is typical of me, one of the fragrances that's affected me most powerfully, is a fragrance I initially disliked on myself. After rereading my original review, I can't help but stress how much body chemistry, at any given time, affects the reactions of those of us who are extremely sensitive to our olfactory neurons. Fortunately, chemical change can be positive, and I think my norepinephrine levels must be in better shape. The first review was written a couple of months before I became pregnant with my daughter, who is now 20 months old. After having her, I guess I smell better! (Smell as an adjective, not a verb). In any case Pomegranate Noir is utterly, completely gorgeous; hypnotic, complex, and sensual. At first it smells like mulled wine, and it quickly transforms to a patchouli-resin warmth that's oddly reminiscent of my favorite Chanels. This pomegranate beauty is so perfect for enhancing the mood for the upcoming holiday; pomegranate is my favorite fruit to eat, and now Ill enjoy it even more. Pomegranate Noir comes across as a fragrance that would be perfect for sitting in front of a fireplace after a day of skiing. Our Southern California Autumns, with the Santa Anas in full swing, often are hotter than our summers. Even with its "cool weather" connotation, Pomegranate Noir is beautiful in our current 90 degree+ weather. The heat brings out a dry warmth in this fragrance (patchouli?) that I absolutely love.

Original Review: On me this is suffocating. It's strong, bitter, and harsh. I think the combo of frankincense and patchouli reacts badly on my skin. I'm with Mr. Quarry on the furniture polish aroma...The composition of Pomegranate Noir comes across as balanced mix of juicy fruits and and heavy woods, and it smells striking and deep when sprayed into the air. Unfortunately I don't find the smell appealing on my skin, but on someone with the right skin chemistry, I'd enjoy it.

05th February, 2007 (Last Edited: 16th September, 2009)

Blush by Marc Jacobs

I've read that the notes in Blush are: Jasmine Petals, Fresh Jasmine Notes, Italian Bergamot, Star Jasmine, Jasmine, Orange Blossom, Japanese Honeysuckle, Pink Musk, Cashmere wood, and Sandalwood. This fragrance, as the notes promise, is a consummate jasmine, and it's delicate, without a bit of sharpness. The drydown has a tiny bit of honeysuckle, but overall this is a pure, sweet jasmine perfume. If you're enticed by the smell of pink jasmine in the late winter/early spring, you must, must try this. Its likeness to the flowers is impressive. This is a lovely, clean, very feminine scent.

02nd February, 2007

Lucky Number 6 by Lucky Brand

Lucky Number 6's notes are something like Lotus, Tiger Lily, Cashmere Woods, Jasmine, Lychee, Jasmine Tea, and Lotus Leaves. Sounds nice, huh? I tested this because the notes are appealing, and I rather like the bottle. I can say one positive thing right away: this stuff has marvelous lasting power. Amazing really. Nothing seems to wash it off. Antibacterial lotion fails to neutralize it.

Unfortunately, for me, the smell of Lucky No. 6 won't beguile me, nothwithstanding its cute packaging or its exceptional tenacity. On my skin, Lucky Number 6 takes on an uncanny resemblance to whatever concoction would result from the blending of Avon's Skin So Soft Oil and Off Mosquito Repellent. (I'm thinking it would be great to wear if I ever decide to spend some time in Malawi). Every once in a while a waft of it smells rather pretty, and black tea-like, but if I inhale deeply, I am subdued by an aroma that connotes the scent of bug spray on my skin.

Lucky Number 6, based on very old memories, reminds me of another Avon scent called Imari. It has a similar flowery-Oriental essence. Unlike Imari, though, it's got a soapiness that lingers (even after multiple washings and applications of anitbacterial lotion...). This one's not for me.

31st January, 2007

Curious by Britney Spears

Well, three years after its launch, I've finally smelled Curious. After reading several positive things about it, I decided it should be tried. I noticed it was $14.99 at CVS so it wouldn't break my budget if I had to have the stuff. While shopping in CVS this morning, I sprayed some Curious from the tester bottle on my wrists, then sniffed. Immediately, I was reminded of Ralph Lauren Blue, albeit, a watered-down version of it. I think RL Blue is lovely, so initially there was some hope for the delicate Curious. However, as it dried down, the scent faded into the kind of smell that lingers on my hands after I've washed them with slimy, diluted liquid soap in public washrooms. Within the hour, the fragrance weakened so much that the only way to smell it was to intensely sniff my wrists. Now, several hours later, it lingers very, very timidly on my skin, and there is zero sillage. If I sprayed Curious zealously, it probably would be more detectible throughout its wear, but I'd squirted only once on each wrist. Even so, I've decided I won't be purchasing Curious, regardless of it's being only $14.99. I just don't enjoy it. It's almost nice, but it falls short. It's as though it's missing something (character?), in addition to, paradoxically, having too much of something (magnolia, which hates me). The gaudy blue bottle, complete with tacky pink bangle, clearly is designed to appeal to the aestheticism of very young ladies, and this light, simple fragrance is perfectly appropriate for this market niche.

31st January, 2007

Préparation Parfumée by Andrée Putman

This is all that I love in Olivia Giacobetti's work. It smells like ocean air and ocean water at dusk in late summer, and it makes me feel so alive. It's similar to both En Passant and Navegar (two loves) yet it's outstanding all by itself. Very unisex, but I prefer it on my husband rather than on myself. He likes it better on himself, too. Putnam Préparation Parfumée is magnificent.

21st January, 2007

Samsara by Guerlain

I've loved Samsara since its introduction. I think it's elegant, sensual, mysterious, and very provocative. Very few fragrances reach the sandalwood-vanilla apex that Samsara epitomizes for me. So beautiful.

20th January, 2007

Little Italy by Bond No. 9

Why I would pay $120.00 for a 1.7 oz bottle of Little Italy:
    1. I love New York with all my heart. Nostalgia and affection for Little Italy causes me to feel delight through this olfactory tribute to the famous neighborhood.
    2. I love the bottle. I'm a bottle collector, and this one is striking.
    3. This is the purest, tangiest, cleanest orange fragrance I've ever smelled. Previous to this, I'd thought L'Artisan Mandarine tout simplement fit this description, but Little Italy is even better. Peel a very fresh orange, inhale the scent of the juice, and the rind, and the air surrounding the fruit, and you've got Little Italy. Yes, it smells like Orange Gelato, too. Yum. The lasting power is fabulous.

So - while Little Italy is not a complicated fragrance, it is a happy, energizing, mood-elevator. For me, that's great.

19th January, 2007

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

Bleecker Street smells soooooo good. It's much to heavy for me to wear (unless I combine it with something) but it smells fantastic on my husband. This is a perfect "date night" fragrance. And I just cannot resist that beautiful bottle.

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

I love Wall Street! It's fresh, clean, warm, and sensual. I'm definitely getting this as a birthday gift for my husband.

New York Fling by Bond No. 9

At last...A floral without sharp notesm powdery notes, or migraine-inducing traits. This is sparkling, flowery, delicate, and tastefully subtle; it stays close to the skin. It smells like a spring garden. When I first spray it I smell citrus and flowers, and, as it develops on my skin, I smell more flowers and light musk. NYFling is an elegant fragrance that works for eveningwear with a little black dress, or daywear with a crisp white sundress. It's charming, and easy to wear.

Eau de NoHo by Bond No. 9

Eau de Noho is gentle, soft, pretty, and long-lasting. It has lots of green notes, and it smells light and clean. It stays very close to the skin, so it's great for private enjoyment, and it won't offend anyone in close and crowded places like elevators. Eau de Noho is an all-around pleasant, almost relaxing fragrance. Bond says its for a "hip and cool downtown seductress." It invites, at the very least, a big hug.

West Side by Bond No. 9

I fell for this within the first 1/2 second of a sniff. It's a jewel of a perfume in an amazingly attractive bottle. When I fall for a fragrance I often read blogs and such for reviews, and the reviews I've read so far about West Side are fascinating. West Side seems to bring out a lyrical spirit and a poetic aura in its reviewers.

Aside from feeling kinship to the artistic air of the analyses, one review made me giggle a bit. The reviewer feels that West Side smells like the "child" of Tocade and Organza Indecence. The reason for my smile was that the thought was so similar to my own reaction: West Side seems like of "child" of Tocade and John Paul Gaultier Classique. I think West Side will bring many, many new fans to the Bond No. 9 line.

11th January, 2007 (Last Edited: 29th June, 2008)

Chelsea Flowers by Bond No. 9

You're walking along a rainy NY street, hidden beneath your black umbrella, winding through people dressed in dark clothing. You sigh. You feel as though you'll never see sunshine again. As you traipse along the sidewalk, your gaze catches something bright and you stop. Through a plastic marquee, you see buckets of beautiful bouquets of perfect, perfect flowers. You decide that one of those bouquets will completely erase the mood of the rain. You enter the shop to buy yourself this uplifting gift, and you immediatly smell joyous, ambrosial perfume in the air. That smell is Chelsea Flowers.

10th January, 2007

Heure Exquise by Annick Goutal

Heure Exquise is the dream fragrance that I would create if I added the powdery green topnotes of Ralph Lauren Safari to the warm, humid drydown of Chanel No. 19. Heure Exquise is mysterious and haunting, like the hour for which it is named, and it possesses a timeless, feminine beauty that invites analysis and contemplation. I recommend this to those who love Boudoir, Tocade, and Bourbon French.

09th January, 2007

Rumeur (new) by Lanvin

Rumeur is a light, dry, chypre that could be undetectible in a crowd unless someone's nose was pressed up against your skin. I bought it because I'd read comparisons to Narciso Rodriguez but neither my skin nor my nose is affected by Rumeur the way they are by NR. NR boldly seduces, spellbinding its audience. Rumeur is shy, underconfident, and has a persistent floral note (magnolia?) that ruins the chypre feel. I think of chypres along the lines of Cabochard or Mitsouko, so to me, Rumeur absolutely doesn't come across as a chypre. To my nose, it's a light floral. When I bought it I was in a hurry, and Rumeur smells nice right after it's sprayed. It has a champagne-like topnote that's quite attractive. The bottle was under $20.00 so I purchased it quickly, hoping the drydown would be even more impressive. Sadly, it's not. I like my chypres to be dramatic and sensual, but Rumeur is proper and a bit frigid. Its lasting power isn't very good because the scent itself weakens so quickly. This is a fragrance that would be nice for very young ladies, but if you're a big girl looking for a seductive, memorable scent, I don't think you'll choose Rumeur.

Rose Essentielle by Bulgari

Rose Essentielle is beautiful. It's no secret that I love rose fragrances, but I love them only when they're true to the flower. The fragrance in Rose Essentielle is what keeps me planting rose bushes (I have 30+) and always craving more. There are light hints of citrus, jasmine, maybe a bit of violet leaf, all on a light, clean patchouli base. I, like Shycat, smell what I would swear is Green Tea, and if that's what "citronchemicals" smell like, I'm all for them! I love this sparkling fragrance.

Truly by Stephen Burlingham

I was in Takashimaya sniffing around when two young ladies (mid-teens) bungled off the elevator and giggled their way toward where I was standing while testing various Parfums Delrae. One of the girls was intent on buying a fragrance that was recommended to her, and, apparently, very special. (It was Truly by Stephen Burlingham.) The girls ooohed and ahhhed over the pretty bottle, sprayed the fragrance on their wrists, ooohed and aaahed some more, and went to get an SA. After a couple of minutes the girls returned with an SA, and both resniffed the fragrance. They asked the SA if there were other fragrances in the line. The SA said there weren't, and walked away. The girls clearly had expected the fragrance to have a momentous effect on them but it hadn't. One of the young ladies took $200.00 from her bag, and sighed, resigned to buy the fragrance she'd come for, but she was clearly disappointed. She sniffed her arm again, and asked her friend, "Is it me or does this smell kind of...plain?" The friend sniffed deeply and said, "It smells exactly like Davidoff Cool Water." (Having been forced to eavesdrop because of their loud voices, I quietly nodded in agreement). Then, the would-be purchaser set the bottle down, and the girls quietly entered the elevator.

Truly's bottle is a beautiful, emerald green color, but otherwise this fragrance isn't unusual or outstanding at all.

Sira des Indes by Jean Patou

Sira des Indes is completely different from what I expected it to be, and I enjoy it enough to be the proud owner of a large, beautiful bottle of it. I expected, from the notes, a rich gourmand like Serge Lutens Arabie, Keiko Mecheri Gourmandises, or even Angel, but Sira des Indes does not fall into this category for me. It's definitely pleasant smelling, and I'd surely like to taste something that smelled like it, but it's not oozing with spices, or sweetness, or vanillas, as is typical of scents known as being "gourmand." SdI reminds me of both Joy and EnJoy in its top-notes, and the base notes echo Joy, but I don't know why. SdI starts with a burst of citrusy-fruit that's very clean smelling, and it warms into a floral, ambery, woody scent. It's highly unusual, though. The notes don't sound as distinctive as the actual fragrance. It's exotic, very sexual, and it has a certain "dirtiness" I notice in Angelique Encens. SdI would be outstanding if it had better lasting power. Unfortunately, on me, the lasting power is lousy. I spray on enough to asphixiate a small village, and it still fades very quickly. An interesting aspect of its staying-power is that it smells more like it comes from my skin rather than something applied to my skin, but I wish it had sillage. I will enjoy this often, and I really look forward to seeing what it does on my skin in hot weather.

04th January, 2007

Sweet Tea by Elizabeth W

This is fresh, sweet, cold tea with lots of sugar and a tiny bit of lemon. It's a wonderful fragrance for a very hot day, especially after a bath or a swim. It makes me crave a nice glass of tea!

04th January, 2007

Trouble by Boucheron

This smells great on me at first, when it smells exactly like Hypnotic Poison. As it dries down, to me it smells exactly like Poison. I love Hypnotic Poison, and I hate Poison. In my opinion, there is nothing original about this scent, and I'd turn to Hypnotic Poison or Addict if I wanted to wear a deep warm vanilla.

The bottle is nice, and the snake cap is really cool. The lasting power is awful. Overall, not for me.

21st December, 2006