Reviews by Tovah

Tovah

Enjoy by Jean Patou

This is NOTHING like Joy to me. Enjoy is:
    1. Underrated
    2. A fun, sexy tropical floral that can be worn anytime, anywhere.

If you're looking for Joy-Legere, this is not it. If you're looking for a sultry, tropical top-note, sexy woody drydown scent - do give this a try. It's wonderful!

21st December, 2006

Cristobal by Balenciaga

Upon first sniff I swooned and my jaw dropped. "Where," I wondered, "has this been all my life?" Okay, so it's been around only since 1998, but how did I manage to miss it until 2006? I have no idea. Everything about it, from its hypnotic notes to its beautiful bottle is irresistible to me. Clearly I've been in an olfactory bubble. Thanks to suggestions and reviews here on Basenotes I've been able to burst the silly thing! Cristobal is a fragrance I had concocted previously only in dreams. Its sweet ambery dry-down is seductive, and the green, warm, fig and bergamot topnotes are absolutely uplifting. It's perfect; perfume paradise. I'm in love.

17 December, 2006

Sublime by Jean Patou

Sublime is a womanly, golden-feel fragrance that seems to radiate its presence. It reminds me of the "grande dame" fragrances of past eras in that it has a singular, unmistakable personality. It's sensual, sexual, and rather controlling, but it's also "dressy" to my nose, and definitely a romantic evening scent. When I first spray this I find it to be intimidating, strong, and too elegant for me. But when I walk away from the fragrance blast and let Sublime melt into my skin it's absolutely beautiful. It's so complex. Unlike many other fragrances I wear, I can't judge from its beginnings how it will end on my skin. It's moody, and I like that. I have it in a gold, limited edition bottle that came in a blue velvet pouch, and it looks romantic, classic, and refined. Sublime isn't an "everyday" type "fragrance", it's a special "perfume" that's meant to be experienced during finer moments in life. In my opinion, it's a work of art.

15 December, 2006

Gardénia by Chanel

Chanel Gardenia is exquisite. To me it doesn't smell like a gardenia at all. It smells like green tea, dry vanilla, and jasmine blossoms. My husband loves this one, and so do I. It makes me feel like I'm in a warm Savannah garden.

15 December, 2006

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

I haven't found a fragrance so alluring since the appearance of Poison in the 1980s. Before that it was Opium. For me the predecessors of that je ne sais quoi, are the likes of Chanel Bois des Iles, Fracas, FM Musc Ravageur...those fragrances that turned the olfactory world upside down. Black Orchid does not smell like any of these, it's that it's so different, so unusual, and so exotic. Black Orchid is daring, darkly sensual, and completely intoxicating. Don't even try this unless you're prepared to be bewitched into buying it!

08 December, 2006

Caline by Grès

Caline is a seriously underrated fragrance. I'm not sure if it was ever officially released in the US, and that's a shame. It can be hunted down on various discount websites, but it's not easy to find. In France, it has its own website, www.jesuiscaline.fr. Caline is a fruity-floral, which is my least favorite fragrance category, but I really like Caline. It's got a depth to it that reminds me of Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune. It doesn't smell a thing like Pamplelune, however, it's got the same sort of happy, grapefruity top, with a deeper, vanilla base that really appeals to me. Caline is a very, very pretty fragrance that's perfect for daywear: light, pretty, and classy.

08 December, 2006

Eau des 4 Reines by L'Occitane

Eau des 4 Reines sounds so regal and formal that I expected this to be a sort of new Nahema. Not so! This is a bright, fresh rose with fruity undertones. This is unmistakably a rose perfume, but the tea, mandarin, and blackberry in the blend provide a take on rose that I've seen before only in the great Rosines. I honestly prefer Eau des 4 Reines to Roseberry!

I have the edt and the lasting power is shameful. I can smell it for all of a minute, and then it completely disappears. I look forward to trying this in edp, because it's such a beautiful fragrance. If the edp doesn't last, I'll surely buy the bath products so that I can layer for better lasting power...

Even though this scent is fresh and lively, I like to wear it at night, and to spray my bedsheets with it. It's a lazy romantic kind of fragrance that smells warm and sweet.

Red Roses by Jo Malone

I love roses. I grow roses and I'm utterly mad about them. These days I have 40 rose bushes, and I can't get enough of their fragrances.

Jo Malone Red Roses smells strikingly like my rich, red Mr. Lincoln bush. Mr. Lincoln is the classic, deep red "florist" rose that smells gorgeous for weeks. JM truly captured the cool, sharp, dewy fragrance of the real thing. Indoors, I've had people expect actually to see a bouquet of roses in a vase somewhere after getting a whiff of my fragrance! And outdoors, people have assumed they were smelling my garden, not my perfume.

If you love rose, it doesn't get much better than that!

Ombre Rose L'Original by Jean-Charles Brosseau

This used to be very, very pricey. When I finally got a bottle in the 80's I used it sparingly and felt that I smelled "expensive." Ombre Rose is a beautiful rose perfume that evokes powdery aldehydic classics, but its floral and fruity notes are very rich. On me, Ombre Rose is strikingly similar to Mariella Burani Mariella Burani, and it smells exactly like the original Lutèce by Houbigant. (The reformulated Lutèce is a disaster).

Ombre Rose's Art-Deco bottle is absolutely beautiful. This fragrance provides an elegant sniff of nostalgia for me.

Romance by Ralph Lauren

I think Romance is absolutely beautiful. I wore it almost exclusively for a time a few years ago, and after I finished my 4th or 5th bottle, I didn't repurchase it. It seemed like I smelled it everywhere I went, so it wasn't as special.

Now that the buzz has dulled a bit, I've repurchased Romance and I love it with the passion it originally evoked in me upon its launch. It's elegant, romantic, rich and, best of all, unique. This is certainly one of my favorite fragrances, and it gets compliments from everyone, everywhere!

Cabotine Rose by Grès

Cabotine Rose isn't "rose" flower. In this fragrance, the "rose" is the word for"pink" in French...Cabotine Rose is a bright, pretty cherry blossom fragrance that, to me, blows B&BW Cherry Blossom out of the water. This is a more complex blend in the quaintest little bottle...If you like cherry blossom and you happen to find this somewhere, do give it a try.

Cabotine Bleu by Grès

On my skin this is so similar to Marc Jacobs Island that I don't have to buy Island! This is fresh, marine, watery, and clean. Great for cooling down on a hot, humid day.

Cabaret by Grès

Cabaret is a knock-out, sexy fragrance that comes across with the kind of beauty of someone like Catherine Zeta-Jones. It's refined, outstanding, and really appealing. It's a fragrance that might be born from combining Narciso Rodriguez For Her with L'Artisan Voleur de Roses...If you're looking for subtle and sweet - don't look here. But if you're looking for a dark rose, sexy chypre, don't miss this. The bottle is absolutely gorgeous, too.

Cabotine by Grès

Cabotine is perfect for my skin on hot summer days when I want to smell bright, cheerful, lovely, and classy. This is one of my favorite scents, and it's definitely my favorite "green" fragrance. It never fails to make me feel joyous. There have been lots of "happy" scents on the market since the emergence of Cabotine, but, in my opinion, not one has topped the beauty of this one.

Brit by Burberry

Wonderful! Enjoyable, fresh, and warm. I much prefer this in edt as the zesty lime notes are more apparent. The edp is much heavier on amber. This is a wear-anywhere, feel-good, uplifting fragrance that I look forward to wearing. Brit is perfect for any season and everyone seems to enjoy it on me.

Burberry for Women by Burberry

I love this fragrance and it's one I've repurchased and it's been a part of my wardrobe for several years. If I had the restraint to have a signature scent, Burberry would surely be a candidate...

It's warm, sexy, original, ambery, elegant, and overall, beautiful. Something in the top notes reminds me of peach tea (in a really good way!), and the drydown is as sensual as can be. It's like this was custom-made for my chemisty, and it gets compliments every time I wear it. I've even known people who have purchased it because they enjoyed it so much when I was wearing it!

Soir de Paris / Evening in Paris (new) by Bourjois

Apricot, Bergamot oil, Green Note, Peach, Violet,

Damascene Rose, Heliotrope, Jasmin, Lily of the Valley, Orris, Ylang-Ylang,

Amber, Cedar, Musk, Sandal, Vanilla

05 December, 2006

D'Humeur Reveuse by L'Artisan Parfumeur

[b]D'Humeur Reveuse[/b] has that shockingly beautiful airy accord, also captured in En Passant and Hiris, which brings the fragrance to the senses like a breeze carrying scents of the atmosphere. The first note on this breeze is freshly cut, very green, sweet grass. There's something floral mingling with the grass that warms to the smells of hay in sunlight, and shady trees. There are some flowers, too, but they are not yet in full bloom. The scent as a whole hypnotizes me into feeling like it's summer in Upstate New York and I'm a child who is thrilled by the possibilities in life that are foreshadowed by the incredibly beautiful smells of nature. It's a rush of joy. There's something supernatural, magical about the effect of fragrance on memory, and its ability to inspire.

D'Humeur Reveuse does indeed connote the mood of a lazy summer day, so, in that way I suppose it belongs in the Sautes d'Humeur coffret. But it's so much more than a complement to a coffret theme! This is a fabulous creation that deserves to be released on its own so it can be more widely enjoyed! It's one of those rare fragrances that smells [i]alive[/i].

24 July, 2006

Comme une Evidence by Yves Rocher

I have a bottle of Comme Une Evidence in "elixir" format. This reminds me of Ralph Lauren Romance but it's greener, and heavier on the rose and lily. It's a very pretty, rather elegant smelling fragrance that would work well in an office environment, but it would be great to wear on a night-out as well. If you're a lover of chypres, this one is certainly worth a try. It's an attractive fragrance offered at a very fair price. I really enjoy the body lotion and bath gel in this scent, too.

24 July, 2006

Cielo by Napa Valley Perfumes

Cielo is a beautiful fragrance that smells exactly like the fresh air in Napa Valley. It transports my imagination to sunny days surrounded by green smells of vineyards, figs, gardens, and a warm breeze. It's slightly sweet, and the fig is almost secretive. In my opinion, this is a terribly underrated fragrance that should not be missed. It gets compliments every time I wear it.

01st June, 2006

Navegar by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Navegar is a future full bottle purchase for me. I love it's freshness and it's depth. It's a perfect ocean fragrance that captures many moods of water, and earthy notes of plants surrounding water. I love this on my husband, as well, and he, for once, enjoys a fragrance. This is the only fragrance he's asked me to purchase for him!

26 May, 2006

Safari by Ralph Lauren

Safari is one of my all-time favorite fragrances. It's sensual, multifaceted, and stunning. I've hoarded some of this, because it's getting frighteningly hard to find. It's beautiful, and I hope I never run out of it!

26 May, 2006

Aqua Allegoria Lemon-Fresca by Guerlain

Aqua Allegoria Lemon Fresca is a bright, refreshing scent that has summery topnotes of lemon and lemon blossom. As it develops, bergamot and woods join the lemon scents to make this a perfect fragrance for a lazy summer day. It's definitely not a run-of-the-mill citrus fragrance. Like all Aqua Allegorias, it is a fun fragrance with a lot more depth than is immediately realized. Lemona Fresca is fresh lemon with a mood of heavy trees, shadows, and a hot breeze.

25 May, 2006

Aqua Allegoria Flora Nerolia by Guerlain

This is a somewhat realistic smelling orange blossom fragrance, but it turns remarkably bitter on my skin. I like the sweet side of orange blossom, but there's a harshness to this blend that I just don't enjoy. It must be the incense that doesn't work for me, because it really darkens what seems to be a bright scent.

25 May, 2006

Pur Désir de Lilas by Yves Rocher

This is a very, very pretty lilac fragrance that truly smells like a hybrid French Lilac. If you love lilac you must have this!

21st May, 2006

Tocade by Rochas

Update: I recently repurchased Tocade, and I love it more than ever. My previous review compared it to Tresor, but I disagree with myself now that I've expanded my olfactory palette. Indeed, the rose in Tocade is like the delicate, yet creamy tea rose in Tresor, but Tocade, overall, is so much deeper and sexier than Tresor I can't believe I compared them to each other. Tresor, is a floral, while Tocade is an Oriental-Vanilla. There's no fruit in Tocade, or blatant flower notes, outside of the sweet rose blend. Tocade has the incredibly sensual amber note of perfumes like Musc Ravageur (also created by Maurice Roucel), in addition to the warm, sexy vanilla from classics like Shalimar or Must de Cartier. If you like Vivienne Westwood's Boudoir you're very likely to love Tocade. In addition to the outstanding ambery fragrance, Tocade's beautiful bottle,inspired by the works of Venetian master glassmakers, is a delight for a bottle-fanatic (like me). I'm hoping to buy Tocade edp or parfum someday because it's found it's way into being one of my favorite fragrances.
    Notes: Bergamot oil, Freesia, Geranium, Green Note,Jasmin, Lily of the Valley, Orchid, Orris, Rose, Amber, Cedar, Musk, Patchouli, Vanilla.

21st May, 2006 (Last Edited: 28 December, 2006)

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Dzing! is an example of the kind of work of art that you analyze again and again and come up with different conclusions each time. Sometimes it smells like burnt caramel, but as it mixes with my skin it gets more and more leathery. Sometimes it smells like skin, or sawdust, or, occasionally, black pepper. The burnt caramel note is there most of the time, but overall this fragrance is a perfect, delightful leather scent. Irresistible.

14 May, 2006

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Bois Farine is interesting, and although I like to smell it, I don't like to wear it. It's very, very, very sweet. I like the wheat note a lot because it smells so natural and fresh. The powdery sweetness, probably from the iris-cedar blend, becomes too much for me, though.

14 May, 2006

Une Zeste de Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine

'All Summer in a Day' by Ray Bradbury, is a short story about children on Venus who see the sun for only one day each seven years. When the sun shows its warm, wonderful self, the inhabitants of the planet are ecstatic, and the happiness given by the sun gives them reason to carry on for the next seven years. Un Zeste de Rose is the embodiment of that amazing, inspiring sun!

12 May, 2006

Ecume de Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine

Ecume de Rose reminds me a bit of Stella, but where Stella has a sharp, lemony accord on my skin, this is richer rose with a clean, oceany background. Ecume is light and airy (dare I say "foamy"?), yet complex and evokative. It smells alive and real, like the perfumer managed to bottle the dusky scent of moss roses on a cliff overlooking the ocean.

12 May, 2006