Reviews by Tovah

Tovah's avatar
    Tovah

Roseberry by Les Parfums de Rosine

Roseberry is a raspberry-rose along the lines of Patricia de Nicolai's Balkis, but not as syrupy sweet. It has pronounced notes of fresh, juicy berries, and the leaves of their fruit are present, mingling with scents of red roses. Roseberry is a little too powdery, and way too "berry" for my tastes, but if you're a lover of fruity fragrances you'll probably enjoy this unique fragrance. This fragrance smells relaxing, and warm.

La Rose de Rosine by Les Parfums de Rosine

La Rose de Rosine is a clear, vivid rose haunted by hints of violet, iris, and balsam. It's an absolute must-try for rose lovers, and anyone who admires a masterful blend. On my skin, Rose de Rosine in similar to Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose, but it's properly romantic, while Lipstick Rose is overtly lusty. Rose de Rosine is dreamy, powdery, and soft. It reminds me of an Edwardian lady who longs to travel to exotic places.

Une Folie de Roses by Les Parfums de Rosine

Un Folie de Rose is very harsh and is so different from the other Rosines it's hard to believe the same nose created it. It's a heavy, strong, aldehydic chypre that reminds me very much of Flora Napa Valley Boheme, along with My Sin, Cabochard, Ma Griffe and other distinct chypres. It projects way too far for my personal wear, and I could taste it when I tried it. A quality I abhor. The staying power is great. Unfortunately, this smells awful on me, so I'm not happy about this great staying power. If you love Rosines, this may not be for you. If you love heavy aldehydic chypres, this is a must try.

Rose D'été by Les Parfums de Rosine

Rose d'Ete is sparkling and fresh with distintive notes of yellow roses, verbena, and tangy green apple. The apple isn't pronounced at first, and blends well with the lemon. The melon doesn't show itself until deep into the drydown on my skin, which is fortunate, because, for me, it ruins the near perfection of this fragrance. Melon always manages to smell rancid on my skin. However, the verbena and violet redeem Rose d'Ete, and overall it's a lovely, very feminine fragrance. It's perfect for a bride.

Poussière de Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine

Poussière de Rose is a powdery, ghostly Victorian rose fragrance that conjures images of Agatha Christie-style suspense and Houdini's brand of magic. Poussière is a sophisticated, disciplined, rose that's careful to remain mysterious.

Rosa Flamenca by Les Parfums de Rosine

Rosa Flamenca is a mid-summer bouquet of radiant, multi-colored roses with overtones of orange blossom and honeysuckle. It is said to contain benzoin, which may account for the magical oceany breeze this scent conjures. Rosa Flamenca is absoluely beautiful and uplifting. My favorite Rosine - and I love Rosines.

Tilleul by D'Orsay

Tilleul is fascinating. It instantly transports me to times of horsebacking riding on warm summer days. I smell linden, honeysuckle and honey, and something very green; but the predominant note, to me is hay. The hay note smells fresh and exciting, and beautiful. I love horses, so Tilleul is a kind of comfort scent for me, bringing with it happy memories and hopes for future fun. Tilleul just blows me away! The lasting power is all right, but I wish it were better. Still, the fragrance is so amazing and enjoyable, it's worth it to have to reapply.

11th May, 2006

Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune by Guerlain

Revised review: I love it. I just love it and I can't live without it. Pamplelune hasn't turned into cat pee or b.o. while wearing it for the last two days. It's beautiful, uplifting, cheerful, and best of all, unique. In fact, I don't care if others think I stinks (yes I do, I'm kidding), because this makes me so happy! It's the most uplifting fragrance I've ever smelled.

11th May, 2006 (Last Edited: 21st December, 2006)

Aqua Allegoria Lilia Bella by Guerlain

At first this is a bright, sweet, pure lilac and as it dries down it's a clean, lovely muguet. This is a quintessential dewy garden fragrance.

11th May, 2006

Thé Pour un Été by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Lovely and truly refreshing. This is sweet jasmine tea with a touch of lemon. It stays close to the skin so it's never overpowering and won't get too strong in hot weather. If you're prone to headaches from fragrances give this one a try. It actually helps my headaches to get better!

09th May, 2006

Premier Figuier Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is nice, but I don't like it as well as Premier Figuier. Premier Figuier Extrême is figgier and sweeter, and gets a little cloying. It smells nice, but I must prefer Premier Figuier.

08th May, 2006

Mûre et Musc Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Mûre et Musc Extrême is a beautiful, warm, sexy musk with just a touch of blackberry. This is perfect for cool weather and cuddling. I love this even more than Mûre et Musc!

08th May, 2006

Mandarine Tout Simplement, by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Even if you're not a fan of the smell of orange, this fragrance is worth sampling just for its utterly remarkable ability to capture exactly the scent of a fresh Mardarin orange. If I squeezed juice out of a fresh orange into a decant, it would be hard to distinguish from a decant of Mandarin Tout Simplement. In comparison to other fragrances, Mandarine Tout Simplement is to Mandarin what Thé Pour Un Été is to lemony sun-tea, and Ananas Fizz is to fresh pineapple: a glorious way to wear an uptifting scent and create a summer mood. It's so irresistible I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a permanent addition to the L'Artisan line.

Safran Troublant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I love to smell Safran Troublant but I don't think I'd wear it often enough to warrant a purchase. It's a rich, romantic, gourmand fragrance that makes me crave eating Paella and drinking Rioja on a patio overlooking the sea. It's similar to Keiko Mecheri Gourmandises, but it's centered much more on saffron than rose. The dry vanilla and sandalwood add an utterly gorgeous dimension to this sensual fragrance.

La Haie Fleurie du Hameau by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is a beautiful watery jasmine that's almost as seductive and true to night blooming jasmine as À la Nuit. If I had never smelled À la Nuit, I would have purchased this, for sure. But it misses the mark, ever so slightly. It is very, very beautiful though.

Un Zeste D'Eté by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is lovely and bright. It smells just like the lemon blossoms on my lemon tree! It's not a complex fragrance, but a delicate, airy scent perfect for hot days. If you enjoy lemon blossom, Un Zeste d'Ete is true to the flower, clean, and fresh. The lasting power is excellent on my skin. This fragrance makes me happy.

Mûre et Musc by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is a captivating warm musk with hints of berry. It's one of the few musk fragrances I wear well, and there are times when I simply crave wearing it. My husband, who has a better ability to smell musk than I do, really enjoys this clean, autumn-like scent. It's an elegant take on the musks that were all the rage in the 1970s, yet it doesn't smell "retro" or "vintage." It makes me feel young and sexy, so I do love it.

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

As a rose gardener I knew I had to find out about the Rose Thief. And like a masked, mysterious lover, Voleur de Roses is impelling and irresistible. It is, as described, a fragrance that captures the smell of damp earth, rose petals, dried and fresh rose leaves and petals, and huge rose blossoms. The fragrance has a dark, almost dangerous note that smells like sweet patchouli and dirt. I'm sure this note is the source of the delightful fragrance name. As this dries down, the rose disappears, and the fragrance becomes a dark and woody patchouli blend that's sexy and unique.

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Tea for Two is instantly lovable and extremely wearable. It's nice in cool weather, but it works in warm weather, too. It smells like Chai tea with a little vanilla and it's as warming as a comforting cup of tea.

L'Eau de L'Artisan by L'Artisan Parfumeur

If you love the smell of freshly cut grass you will enjoy L'Eau de L'Artisan. It's remarkable in its ability to capture the scent of the liquid that oozes from blades of grass when they're cut, and it transports me to childhood summer days when it seemed like somebody in the neighborhood was cutting grass every day. The sound of lawnmowers was the backdrop to everything and piles of cut grass blew on the breeze and scented the air. This isn't a fragrance I'd wear, but I definitely admire it.

Premier Figuier by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I love figs. I could eat them until I'm sick, and soon I'd want some more. They are a wonderful, delicious fruit. And I love the fragrance of fig trees (the Common Fig, that grows abundantly here in Southern California). Premier Figuier doesn't smell very much like fig fruit, and it definitely doesn't smell like the figs in Fig Newton cookies. My first reaction when I smell it is "green!" It smells like freshly cut grass and fresh leaves enhanced by fig fruit, lime, and a something creamy. Premier Figuier is sweeter than I expected it to be, but it's also so refreshing that the sweetness never becomes cloying. This is a warm, soft fragrance that brightens any atmosphere and receives an abundance of compliments.

L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

L'eau de hiver is an extremely delicate scent on me. It stays close to the skin and seems to melt into it. The top notes, true to the fragrance's name, do connote the smell of fresh winter air. That watery note poised in the atmosphere just after snowfall seems to burst from this liquid. I suppose snow should smell "cool" but L'eau de Hiver is a "warm" fragrance to me. As it dries down it's all honey and heliotrope, and this mix brings to mind a "baby" scent for me. My skin must bring out whatever notes Hiver shares with Philosophy's Baby Grace, because these two are oddly similar! I enjoy L'Eau de Hiver and it will be a perfect fragrance for cozy winter evenings when all I want to do is read by the fireplace, cats at my feet.

05th May, 2006

Une Rose by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Une Rose is completely dazzling. The top notes take me to my garden where I'm pruning my Black Cherry rosebush and I smell the earth and the fallen leaves around it. Then this fragrance takes me to a winery and I smell oak barrels and musty air mingling with Cabernet. Une Rose is a mysterious fragrance that smells like it's alive. I have no idea what a truffle smells like, so I can't say if I smell it or not, but I do smell very, very strong, pure rose, woods, earth, and heavy, dark wine. Une Rose is a seductive fragrance, perfect for occasions when you want to be unforgettable.

05th May, 2006

Tubéreuse Criminelle by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

It's interesting to sniff Tuberose Criminelle (what a GREAT name!) but I can't imagine wearing it. I don't think I'll ever put it on my skin to try it again. It smells like hot asphalt, antiseptic, rubbing alcohol, and tuberose. It's the smell you might encounter when stuck in a hospital room on a hot day, while visitors bring in the send of outdoors on their bodies and clothing. The hospital smells mix with the asphalt and tuberose, giving a hint of what's outside, but can't be experienced. That's my observation of Tuberose Criminelle. My six year old son's observation, with crinkled nose,was, "Eeewww. What stinks?"

03rd May, 2006

Balkis by Nicolaï

Balkis smells like the rose used in lipstick products (in contrast to Frederic Malle's Lipstick Rose, which smells like fresh Double Delight roses and dark violets). Balkis is a very powdery rose and raspberry fragrance that smells like a jam my mother used to make. Balkis is the mythological name for the legendary Queen of Sheba, but I cannot make the association with this perfume and the intelligent, powerful woman who brought spices and gold to Solomon. This fragrance, to me, would suit Mary Lennox in The Secret Garden quite well, because it's so innocently pretty and unusual. I don't think I could wear this one often, though, because its sweetness gets cloying.

30th April, 2006

Aqua Allegoria Lavande Velours by Guerlain

I usually don't like wearing lavender fragrances but I love Lavande Velours. Even though it's supposed to be light and refreshing, I find it to be rather complex and interesting, (in addition to being light and refreshing). This is the only lavender fragrance I've ever purchased and I really, really enjoy it.

27th April, 2006

Une Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Une Fleur de Cassis is a masterful fragrance, in my opinion, because it's incredibly unique. But it smells cold and distant; strange. Its top notes evoke an elegant, vintage aldehydic floral, but the somewhat woody base smells like dead trees drenched with water. There is an ozonic, almost metallic smell that lingers throughout a layers on my skin. This fragrance is something that feels like Atlantic Ocean waters off the New England coast in winter. Fans of Hiris and Iris Poudre may enjoy this one, because it's such a cool scent. It's more Oriental than floral to me, probably because of the spices. I could really do without the cumin and clove notes. They just don't "fit" with the rest of the notes when on my skin. Une Fleur de Cassie is interesting, and intriguing, but very, very moody. I don't want a bottle of it.

Lys Méditerranée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Lys Méditerranée was a disappoinment to me. I was hoping this would be multi-faceted, but it's just lily. Obviously I knew it was predominantly a lily fragrance, because of its name, but I imagined that it would be more complex, or have more depth. Its notes sound wonderful, but on my skin this is merely a strong lily scent with a dry, green base. After awhile a camphor-like accord comes through (angelica?) but it doesn't last long enough to make Lys Méditerranée anywhere near as fascinating a floral as, for example, Carnal Flower, which shares the camphor-like accord, but projects it like a deep summer dream. If you're a big fan of lily fragrance you should not miss testing Lys Méditerranée, though. I'm not fond of lily, so I'm sure I don't appreciate Lys Méditerranée to its fullest. I found the lasting power to be excellent, and it's a very fine fragrance.

Iris Poudre by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Iris Poudre is a striking fragrance. It's slightly sweet and almost powdery (aldehydes) but it smells damp and earthy as well. Iris Poudre must fascinate anyone who comes close to someone wearing it. It's an impelling, dazzling creation that makes you want to keep sniffing it; to experience it continually. I don't mean to be histrionic, but Iris Poudre is breathtaking.

Le Parfum de Thérèse by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I find Le Parfume de Thérèse to be astonishing. It transports me to other places. If I wear it to bed I dream of romantic things like a Victorian summer home on a still, cerulean lake, or a courtyard of a Spanish villa at dusk...On my skin it becomes a manifestation of memories and desires. I don't want to describe the notes of Le Parfume de Thérèse, because, for me, wearing this fragrance is an experience and an enchantment. It's a work of genius; a masterpiece.