Reviews by Tovah

Tovah's avatar
    Tovah

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

Paris has been one of my favorite fragrances for years. It's elegant, stylish, sparkling, energetic, and just lovely. It's Post-Impressionist to me, because of its vibrance and bright sensuality. It's like Nocturnes de Caron with green, dewy rose. Paris is a permanent part of my wardrobe.

24 April, 2006

Paris Roses Enchantées by Yves Saint Laurent

Enchantees is my favorite of the Paris Premiere line. It's similar to the original Paris and the sparkling, bright quality can't be missed. Enchantees is much fresher though, and very clean (not soapy!). As it develops it smells like an outdoor garden, including the scent of fresh grass, and it's not as "perfumey" as original Paris (which I love). In Enchantees,the orange blossom mixes beautifully with the rose, and it smells less and less like original Paris, and more and more like Rosine Rosa Flamenca while developing on my skin. There are very subtle, but noticeable notes of warm lilac that give the fragrance as a whole a feeling of a breeze catching the scent of fresh flowers. It's appropriately named, too. If I had an enchanted garden I would want it to smell like this!

14 April, 2006

Sha by Alfred Sung

Sha is a fresh lilac with a clean musk base that's lovely in hot weather. It's a soft, natural lilac fragrance that has good lasting power, and it's so pretty.

14 April, 2006

Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Beautiful and fun...a very feminine scent with hints of flowers and candy.. This is elegant like Drole de Rose or Paris, but there's some "rebel" in this (vanilla-amber) and some "mystery" (violet, musk). A fresh green note is present that keeps this from being too sweet, and staying fresh. I would wear this with a white lace mini dress and ankle-stap ballerina flats.

En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I agree with a previous reviewer who described En Passant as "shockingly beautiful." It smells incredibly real, and perfectly lovely. I've never smelled anything that captures lilac so honestly. I'm enchanted and in love.

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Hypnotic - knock you over sexy - unbelievably gorgeous - rich - warm - addictive...An oustanding musky-vanilla-sandalwood-spice dream.

Verte Violette by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Instant Nostalgia! Devon Violets was the very first perfume I ever owned. My mother bought it for me when I was around 5 or 6 years old. Verte Violette smells exactly like my memory of the Devon Violets liquid in the hand-painted green bottle that adorned by dresser for about 20 years. Verte Violette is a beauitful lilac fragrance, that really is quite a bit nicer than Devon Violets. It has fresh green notes and doesn't get terribly sweet like other violet fragrances. I enjoy it.

11th April, 2006

Songes by Annick Goutal

AG Songes today and I've been wearing Songes since this morning. I am disappointed in it,(actually, I hate it). At first it smelled like a very, very close relation to Carnal Flower, and I got excited, but as it warmed on my skin a bit, it smelled like oakey Chardonnay. As it's dried down, it has the distinct smell of Moth Balls with a rather oppressive note of rubber tire. This is not the unusual camphor note present in Carnal Flower, which is rather hypnotic. This is definitely Moth Balls, straight from a mildewy closet in an old house, and rubber tire goo emanating from a car that skidded on a hot, newly paved road (must be the chemical present in jasmine and asphalt). I don't like to smell like Moth Balls and rubber tire, and I wish this stuff would wash off easily. It's got great lasting power...

The relief I feel is that in spite of my love of the beautiful bottle, I definitely don't want to buy this fragrance. But, of course, I'm sad, because I had high expectations for it. I hate that my body chemistry makes an unpleasant odor out of what is probably an amazing perfume.

10th April, 2006

Anglomania by Vivienne Westwood

Now here's a hidden gem if I've ever smelled one! Anglomania is definitely unisex and it's a rich, spicy fragrance that smells like silk and leather. It's unique and classy, but it has a sexy feel to it that is definitely looking for trouble (in a wild, fun way). If you like leather fragrances, you simply must try this one. I cannot believe it hasn't taken the market by storm. I agree with the previous reviewer that it takes about 20 minutes to a half hour for the spices to mellow a bit, and then you get a musky, pure leather. Don't miss giving this one a try!

08 April, 2006

Hiris by Hermès

Hiris is the scent of a fresh, cool spring breeze carrying the scent of iris blooms. It smells airy, and light, yet as it dries down it gains a greenness and the floral intensifies. Truly lovely. An usual fragrance that captures just a hint of mystery.

01st April, 2006

Love at First Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

This is a very, very pretty fragrance that will be especially nice with a white sundress and strappy sandals. I can see wearing this on hot summer nights, and also as a cheerful daytime scent. Jennifer Lopez seems always to hit the mark when it comes to "feel-good" fragrances, and Love at First Glow inspires a happy mood. To my nose this is an inviting, sweet, fresh floral that dries down to a peachy-jasminy-rosy blend. I believe it will be thoroughly enjoyed by many. Those who like Ibiza Hippie, Maybe Baby, Incanto Dream, Escada Sentiment, or Very Irresistible should give this one a sniff. I'm willing to bet lots of lovers will be buying this for their significant others. It's the kind of fragrance that invites a kiss and a bouquet of flowers.

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

I've come so, so close to buying this, and I'm surprised that I don't own it yet. Unfortunately every time I've tried it I've gotten a raging headache, so I'm afraid something in Lovely causes it. I'm not ready to give up on Lovely yet, though. Lovely is often compared to Narciso Rodriguez For Her (I own NR edp) but they're not very similar on my skin. On me, Lovely has a clean patchouli base and bright notes of fresh lavender flowers and apple schnapps. The lasting power is terrific, and this fragrance feels classy. It may just be worth the headache!

Live by Jennifer Lopez

If you look at the notes listed above you could easily guess that Live is a very different type of fragrance from what it is. I know I was quite surprised by it. Live is not a fruit punch/ tropical drink/wear-for-fun scent, as I expected it to be (based on its notes and other J.Lopez fragrances). I enjoy some dessert type fun fragrances, so I am confident in saying that Live does not belong in that category. It's a beautifully balanced blend that simply creates a lovely fragrance. To me, it's rather elegant. I couldn't resist it and I had to have it. I can smell some pineapple, and the way it blends with vanilla and sandalwood is amazing. The most stunning thing about Live for me is its uniqueness among other fragrances. I can find similarities in many fragrances, but nothing I know of smells like Live. It stands out, and attracts. If you're looking for something lovely and unusual, give Live a try.

Miami Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

Miami Glo is fun, warm, and happy. It smells like Spring Break in a warm climate after a cold, gray winter. It's bright, uplifing, and full of tropical fruit notes, but it doesn't smell like sticky Mai Tais. The lasting power is outstanding and puts other fragrances to shame. It's a wonderul fragrance that I'm really going to enjoy in the coming hot months.

24 March, 2006

Wanderlust Super-fume by Perfume of Life

Wanderlust is a beautiful, beautiful rose fragrance. Elegant, lovely, feminine, classic. Its lasting power is wonderful, its sillage is perfect, and it makes me smell the world through a rose-colored glow. Wanderlust is sweet, but in a fresh floral way, not candy-like or sugary. This isn't a Victorian-type powdery rose, or a role soliflore at all. It's along the lines of Ombre Rose, Quelques Roses, Caron Rose, Anna Sui Original, Victoria's Secret Victoria...just a beautiful, elegant rose fragrance. I am so glad I've found this one! If you enjoyed Ombre Rose, do give Wanderlust a try. I think you'll be thrilled!

Pink Suede by Avon

Pink Suede smelled like sweet peas rotting in a brand new car on a 110 degree day. I wanted to crawl out of my skin when I tried this, and, just my luck, the lasting power is great. I couldn't wash the stuff off. I like some leathery fragrances, but I don't like ones that smell like new shoes. I'm sure this is nice on others.

Rare Gold by Avon

I wore this when I met my husband, too! It was one of my favorite fragrances ever, when it first came out, and I wore it for a few years. I had the deodorant, shower gel, lotion, and all the fun stuff Avon makes for its scents. Avon has definitely changed the formulation of Rare Gold, and not for the better. The original Rare Gold was ambery-warm-sexy-orangeblossomy-vanilla, and was a beautiful fragrance. It's still pretty, but it seems watered down.

Timeless by Avon

I've loved this fragrance for 32 years! When I was a young girl it was considered to be too "old" and "sexy" for me by my mother, but I bought it regularly from my teen years until I was in my mid-30s. Why on earth don't I have a bottle now? I need to get one. Timeless is ambery, sexy, slightly powdery, and actually quite elegant for an incredibly inexpensive fragrance. It has a Classic feel that I really enjoy.

Fracas by Robert Piguet

An iconic classic, which has become the supreme tuberose fragrance, by which all other tuberose fragrances are compared. It's confident, lush, and daring; a heady pungent tuberose with a strange woody-mossy drydown. It seems like a happy scent when first sprayed, with bright citrus, and orange blossom notes. This is deceptive, though, because Fracas quickly becomes a bolder, dark fragrance, that can be downright disturbing. It's like the DeChirico painting, Melancholy and Mystery of a Street, where the carefree girl is unaware of the dark shadow that is about to cover her. Don't expect Fracas to be pleasing to others at work, and when wearing it, don't expect to be stopped in the street and complimented for how clean and fresh you smell. It's not going to happen. But do expect Fracas to add drama to your life, and make your moments wearing it, into adventures. Everything is intensified within the bizarre and hypnotic atmosphere created by Fracas!

19 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 28 June, 2008)

Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood

Boudoir is one of my all time favorite fragrances. The Viburnum note is so sensual and bewitching. I wish I could find other Viburnum fragrances! I sniff the Viburnum in my yard so that I can get a hint of Boudoir for a "pick-me-up." On my skin, Boudoir is a very rich scent, heavy with rose, marigold, orange blossom, and a touch of tobacco. I find it to be more of sweet floral rather than an evertly sexual Oriental like Opium. I categorize Boudoir among fragrances like Nanadebary Pink, Fifi Chachnil,L'Heure Magique, Tresor, and Samsara. Boudoir has outstanding lasting power and a sillage that's perfect for romantic memories.

18 March, 2006

Kai by Kai

When wearing Kai, I close my eyes, inhale, and then I'm transported to paradise. Kai is an incredibly pure gardenia that's shockingly beautiful. Its lasting power is outstanding. Kai is a precious fragrance treasure.

17 March, 2006

Ananas Fizz by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is the fragrance of carefree happiness and joy. It's so bright and uplifting I want to bathe in it. I wish it had better lasting power, but I must own this, even if I have to pickle myself in it to make it last. It's bright, fun, cheerful, and so pretty!

Eau de New York by Bond No. 9

I find the fast-paced stimulation of large cities to be comforting. I know that's unusual. Atmospheres typically considered to be "comforting" give me anxiety attacks. I had one sitting on a beach on Maui, staring at the ocean... After that trip, when my plane landed at LAX, I felt like kissing the asphalt in the gritty parking lot. My last trip was more my speed (pun intended). I visited the city that's been my lifelong favorite - New York. I was inspired to give Eau de New York another try, and I'm glad I did. Eau de New York doesn't smell like New York. It smells citrusy, clean, and bright; all notes which I find to be energizing and stimulating. So, for me, Eau de New York is a comforting fragrance, even though the notes do not connote a specific olfactory memory.And I love that fabulous bottle.

16 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 19 January, 2007)

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

The notes tell me I should love it, but my skin refuses to believe them. Chinatown is very pretty, but it's not as fresh as it sounds like it will be. There's an undertone to it that reminds me of cooked vegetables. It smells like a dining room that has fresh flowers on the table, but the smells of food sneak through the florals. I think the note that goes off for me is probably the cardamom, which is a favorite flavor to eat, but not to wear. The bottle is beautiful.

Broadway Nite by Bond No. 9

Broadway Nite is an extremely potent diva of a fragrance on me, with heavy-duty aldehydes and pungent florals. Although there are times when these notes are enjoyable, and even fun, in Broadway Nite they miss the mark with my chemistry. Broadway Nite has 1980s sillage + 1920s aldehydes. Elegant and classy, yes. Intimate and subtle, no.

16 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 22 July, 2008)

So New York by Bond No. 9

I've tried most of the Bond No. 9 fragrances, and So New York is my favorite of them all. This is a fun, warm chocolate-coffee-patchouli fragrance that soothes me on cold days. Unfortunately, the lasting power is terrible on my skin. If it weren't for the lasting power, I'd buy a bottle in a heartbeat, but for now I'll stick to Blv Notte when I need a chocolate fix.

Nahéma by Guerlain

One of the most beautiful rose fragrances, ever. It makes a symphony from the scent of roses, juicy peahces, and incredible, clear balsam. Nahema possesses the mysterious beauty of a Victorian mansion, elegant, ornate, and haunted.

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The is The Perfect Honey-Tobacco-Incense-Amber fragrance. It knocks Luctor et Emergo and Ginestet Botrytis off the top of this category's list for me, and I've both of these for several years. Chergui is sweet, rich, warm, woodsy, and, best of all, slightly mysterious. It has a lot of character and many moods. It'sfascinating, and a masterpiece, in my opinion!

12 March, 2006

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Carnal Flower (I love that name!) is, as stated in a previous review, an amazing scent! There aren't many fragrances that truly smell like real flowers in the outdoors; Carnal Flower smells like a fresh breeze carrying the scent of flowers wafting through a window at sunset on a summer day. I don't mean to indicate that this is a relaxing fragrance, though. It's exhilarating, stimulating, and so beautiful.

05 March, 2006

Café Noir by Dawn Spencer Hurwitz

Very nice deep coffee, smoky scent. Its richness and warmth is perfect for a crisp, cold day.

05 March, 2006