Reviews by Tovah

Tovah's avatar
    Tovah

Gourmandises by Keiko Mecheri

Gourmandises is not what I expected, as it's not sweet on me and I don't smell praline or jam. I think I expected Gourmandises to be a version of Loukhoum because of its notes but it's completely different. It's a fascinating, multi-faceted rose fragrance that is fantastically unique. It's a mood fragrance; slightly dramatic but possessing more of a warm, confident, alluring beauty. One of the best things about is that it doesn't remind me of any other fragrances. I've never smelled anything like it, and this makes it intriguing, and even beautiful.

28 February, 2006

La Chasse Aux Papillons by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is an outstanding, stunningly beautiful floral that truly smells like a garden redolent with jasmine, orange blossom, and linden. The first time I smelled this it took my breath away. Three bottles later I still love it madly. La Chasse is paradise in a bottle.

28 February, 2006

Stella by Stella McCartney

If I were foreced to have a signature scent to wear every day, Stella would very likely be my choice. It's multifaceted, elegant, uplifting, yet deep. Really beautiful. This is very rosey on me with just hints of amber. It's a bright rose, not powdery or rose-watery. There's also a somewhat lemony topnote that sounds like it would sour with rose, but actually adds a mellow tea-like quality. Even though this fragrance is perfect for day-wear it's a very dramatic scent. This one will definitely haunt your moods.

Intuition by Estée Lauder

Intuition is lovely and sensual but not so sensual that it cannot appropriately be worn during the day. It has a warm, golden amber base but light, fresh floral topnotes that make it extremely well-rounded. My husband really likes this one. This is one of my favorite amber fragrances as its not too heavy or powdery.

Calypso Marine by Calypso Christiane Celle

Ahhhhh! This is the smell of a Southern California beach at sundown during the early spring. It captures the brisk air, the woodsy smells, and the refreshing mood of the ocean. Beautiful.

Peau de Pêche by Keiko Mecheri

I love this and plan to buy a full bottle. Peau de Peche has an elegant smell. It's not at all a sweet peachy body spray kind of fragrance. The peach is slightly sweet, but dry, and the fragrance smells light and fresh; not cloying or foody. The peach note reminds me a bit of the peach in Burberry London, and if I had to compare Peau de Peche to another fragrance London is the first that comes to mind. However, I've never smelled such a lovely peach that wasn't an actual fresh white peach.

21st February, 2006

Floret by Antonia's Flowers

Utterly, completely beautiful.

Pure Poison by Christian Dior

After using up a few samples of this I've decided I definitely have to buy it. It has pretty, summery topnotes and an elegant yet fresh ambery base. I love this is at dries down.

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

Burnt vanilla sweet with a furniture polish drydown. It's all right, but nothing striking. I'll use my BLV Notte or Allure when I'm in the mood for this type of fragrance.

Luctor et Emergo by People of the Labyrinths

The listing for the name of the fragrance is is incorrect: It's People of the Labyrinths Luctor et Emergo. Luctor et Emergo is the name of the fragrance and the designer is People of the Labyrinths.

18 February, 2006 (Last Edited: 22 February, 2006)

Nuits de NoHo by Bond No. 9

Update: Now I love this one instead of merely liking it. The notes are, indeed, some of my favorite. This fragrance used to seem too dramatic to me, but either I've grown into it, or I was wrong about it in the first place. When I first tried it, this particular type of vanilla-gourmand saturated the fragrance market, so I don't think I gave it a truly honest try. I've been sniffing a lot of chypres lately, so Nuits de Noho smells outstanding, provocative, and expressive.

18 February, 2006 (Last Edited: 14 January, 2007)

Loukhoum by Keiko Mecheri

This is sweet and foody yet definitely perfumey and sensual. I adore its unique-ness. Some foody scents smell too much like a bakery...this one has its own personality. I just love it and I get oodles of compliments on it, all the time. One of my cats is particularly fond of it, so much so that he nuzzles the bottle on my dresser. This is a perfect nighttime fragrance for cuddling up or being downright seductive.

Rahät Loukoum by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This smells like Turkish Delight as I know it with hints of yeast or dough. That doesn't sound too attractive, yet this really is a great fragrance. There are times when I crave it and times when the cherry note is too cloying, but overall I really enjoy this scent.

Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Beautiful. Romantic, heady, dewy, enchanting...a fragrance for my wildest dreams.

À la Nuit by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This scent is so well done that that when wearing it I became disoriented and thought my window was open, letting in the smell of fresh jasmine in bloom. Then I remembered it was winter, and that it was me who smelled so intoxicating and lovely!

Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare by Creed

Imagine yourself in a Victorian rose garden completely immersed in fresh, deep red roses on a cool spring day...bewitching.

Shalimar by Guerlain

Chanel No. 5 may be the classic fragrance of fashion, but Shalimar is the quintessential fragrance of LOVE. Shalimar is probably the finest vanilla-based perfume of all time. I've never met anyone who doesn't find it to be dreamy and alluring; whether it conjures up Roaring 20s haute couture, 1950s glamour, or 21st century independence, it's one of the greatest perfumes ever concocted. Elegant, sensual, and unforgettable, Shalimar is the fragrance by which I rate any other romantic scent I wear. I like this best in parfum, but it's lovely in all concentrations. This is a scent of mystery and warmth. I've loved it for as long as I can remember, and it's an olfactory treasure. It's one of the finest, most beautiful, and deeply complex fragrances ever made.

08 December, 2005 (Last Edited: 28 June, 2008)

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

L'Heure Bleue is the smell of angst and sorrow. It depresses me, though I recognize its beauty. It's The Unbearable Lightness of Being in a bottle...beautiful, yet hopeless. The carnation note sets me over the edge as carnations carry sad memories. I truly appreciate L'Heure Bleue, because there's no other fragrance in the world with its particular influence on emotion, but I cannot wear it.

08 December, 2005

Mitsouko by Guerlain

Mitsouko is longed-for beauty; The Heart is a Loney Hunter by Carson McCullers...deep, emotional, provokative, earthy, and beautiful. I cannot imagine a perfume world without it.

08 December, 2005

Angélique Encens by Creed

Angelique Encens is beautiful and haunting. I find strong vanilla notes beneath the smoky incense and ambery elegance. This one has to be worn and experienced before it can be rated appropriately. Angelique Encens creates a mood in me and everyone who can smell me when I wear it. It has the odd yet tempting beauty of a run-down mansion on a bayou.

07 December, 2005

Le Baiser du Dragon by Cartier

While I think Le Baiser du Dragon is lovely, and striking, it's not a fragrance I can comfortably wear. It makes me feel like I'm wearing a mix of Coco and Hypnotic Poison that's too strong for my tolerance. The Amaretto note smells a bit rancid on me, which is odd, because I ordinarily wear almond well. I love the bottle, and I almost bought this unsniffed, but after using up two tester vials, I'm glad I didn't. This just won't work for me.

Prada (new) by Prada

Revised Review: I wrote my original review on Prada over two years ago. It was written after using up a sample of Prada that I had acquired. I now believe that sample was either a fake, or it was polluted somehow. There was a distinct melted-plastic, rotten-almond accord in the drydown that was awful on me; so it was probably not real Prada. [Incidentally, I had a weird sample of Le Baiser du Dragon from the same place, and it had the same gross drydown...] Over the last two years I've complimented about 30 complete strangers who were wearing Prada, and now I have my own bottle. I love it. For me it's the "Shalimar" of its time. It's sexy and alluring, elegant and en vogue. I'll bet Prada will be a classic.

22 November, 2005 (Last Edited: 13 January, 2007)

Bois des Îles by Chanel

Bois des Iles is captivating. It's Matisse's Fen'tre à Tahiti. Amazing. Unsurpassed.

Beach by Bobbi Brown

This smells so much like the Coppertone "suntan lotion" of my childhood that it creates an instant vision of very young me in Upstate New York in the 1970s, sunning myself by the pool during the longed-for warm weather. I wear this to inspire a happy, comfortable mood, and it's marvelous for cheering me up on gloomy days.

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

If you love chypres you must try Narciso Rodriguez For Her. This smells retro 1970s to me, and reminds me of another fragrance, which I cannot place. For Her edp is very different from the edt on my skin. When I sampled the edt I wasn't fond of it, as it turned quite bitter on my skin. The edp smells stikingly better on my skin, mostly because the musk notes seem mellow and smooth. The edt and edp are different enough to me that I feel they chould have different names! For Her is a rich, heady, elegant fragrance that is appropriate for occasions where you really want to dress to the nines. I don't think I'll wear this one in a work environment, but instead keep it for special occasions. The bottle is beautiful.

08 November, 2005

Hugo Deep Red by Hugo Boss

Deep Red is very, very pretty but it doesn't react on me the way it's apparently supposed to. I've seen this compared to Hypnotic Poison and other deep, sexy vanilla fragrances, but on me Deep Red has a very citrus beginning and it dries down to a fruity floral with little sweetness. It seems to have the citrus rinds notes and it reminds me strongly of the original Poison. I like the fragrance for a pretty daytime, very wearable scent, but it doesn't suit romantic or emotional times that would be colored by a "deep red" mood.

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

This is so beautiful and sensual. It's the gentle seduction of The Dark Lady of the Sonnets. Despite being a definite vanilla fragrance, it's unique and quite grown-up. Absolutely one of my favorites.

28 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 18 February, 2006)

Chance by Chanel

Chance is a beautiful fragrance that many perfect strangers have gone out of their way to compliment. Something about it just works on my skin like an embellishment to my personality. Chance is elegant and it has a brightness as well as a sultry spiciness. Maybe there are some similarites to Coco Mademoiselle, but, on me, Chance is more attractive and has a freshness that never gets too heavy. Coco Mademoiselle has a bourbon-and-chocolate feel that goes well with leather jackets and knee-high boots. Chance seems to go with everything, including a bikini, and the bottom line for me is it smells great.

No. 5 by Chanel

Chanel No. 5 is a fragrance every true perfume-lover owns (at least once in her lifetime) but many of us never wear it. I think it smells gorgeous and it evokes everything it claims to: independence, sensuality, femininity, class...diamond and minks...When I get a whiff of it on someone I think, "What a lovely smell," yet it's not a smell I really enjoy wearing. Once in a while I wear it when I'm desiring a "vintage style" mood, but it never feels like an extension of my personality.

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

This is incredibly clean, fresh, and uplifting and just radiates intense garden smells. A certain note in this smells quite a bit like lime in the beginning but I definitely notice the fabulous mango notes, too. I know this is supposed to be unisex, but I do describe this fragrance as "pretty." It's very floral on my skin; albeit not sweet. Un Jardin sur le Nil is exotic and refreshing; the perfect fragrance to cheer you up on a rainy day. It makes me want very much to visit a garden overlookikng the Nile.

25 October, 2005