Reviews by cpp214

The Dreamer by Versace

Tried this one several years ago, 2011 I believe.
At the time, I found it repulsive on a paper test strip and never bothered to test it on skin.

Needless to say, my tastes have evolved since then.
This is a very nice, Iris/Tobacco scent. The version I'm wearing now and have been testing is from 2014.

A very warm, inviting and comforting scent that I think will perform even better in the fall/winter.

This one can be had cheap online right now. I paid $23 shipped for the 3.4oz tester I'm using now.

This is one of the best designer bottles I've found in ages. It is a wonderfully masculine aroma. Suitable for ages 25 and up.

Get this one while it's cheap. It smells anything but cheap.

18th August, 2015

Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza by Acqua di Parma

I've had the pleasure of sampling 100's of fragrances at this point in my journey. Essenza is, hands down, the best citrus fragrance I've ever smelled.

The opening is simply amazing, and must be experienced if you are a fan of citrus-based fragrances. Orange, Lemon, Bergamot, Grapefruit, Mandarin, slightly sweet, but masterfully tempered by the Petitgrain. It's like being enveloped in the most beautiful, fragrant citrus grove that you can imagine. That opening, that magical rendition of olfactory citrus bliss, lasts a surprisingly long time.

As it dries down on your skin, after about 30-45 minutes, the floral notes emerge slowly, and effortlessly. Although listed as unisex, I think it leans ever so slightly masculine in spite of the florals. And I'm a guy who usually shies away from anything too floral.

And underpinning this masterful orchestration all the while, is a subtle, but expertly blended patchouli, musk and amber accord that provides an anchor for citruses, and helps to extend their longevity beyond the realm of the run-of-the-mill eau de cologne, while never smelling remotely synthetic or cheap. Absolutely brilliant composition.

On my skin:

Longevity--5-6 hours.
Projection--Very good for the first hour, closer to the skin hours 2-6, but I can always smell it on myself throughout it's duration, and that's what matters most to me.
Sillage--absolutely perfect. It doesn't announce your presence, but those near to you will notice it.
Season--Year round
Rating: 10/10 a masterpiece, and benchmark for it's genre.
04th June, 2015

Tiffany for Men by Tiffany

I don't do many reviews, but I feel compelled to add one for Tiffany for Men.

I cannot recommend this fragrance enough. Off the top of my head, I can't
think of a more well-blended men's fragrance. Every note and transition is seamlessly
blended. It is "just right" in every category: projection, longevity, and sillage, you name it.

If you love cardamom, nutmeg, oakmoss and amber, you owe it to yourself to give
this one a try. Others have described this one as "powdery." I have to respectfully
disagree. I think it has just the right balance of sweetness and dryness. It's a spicy, yet delicate masterpiece.

Although it has "Cologne" on the bottle, this fragrance is certainly not cologne-strength.
It lasts longer than almost every other EDT I've tried, and in fact, with it's discreet, close to the skin presence, it behaves much more like an EDP.

I think it can be worn year-round and would make an excellent signature scent.
It can be worn anytime: to work, to school, running errands, to a wedding, to a cocktail party, etc. etc.

Some might say Tiffany for Men is a more mature, outdated fragrance, whose best days have come and gone. I'd say that class, elegance, and refinement never go out of style.

And these can all be found in Tiffany for Men.
03rd April, 2012

Colors Uomo by Benetton

Does anyone else think the opening of Colors is similar to Acqua Di Parma Colonia?
I find them similar, and that's saying a lot. Colors is a quality fragrance, period.
If you look around, you can find it very cheap. I paid $12.99 for a 3.4oz bottle at TJ Maxx.

This fragrance is better than the vast majority of designer fragrances being produced today. I almost hate to recommend an Ann Gottlieb fragrance, but in this case, I can't help it. Very, very good. Pick up a bottle now, while you still can.
17th March, 2012

A*Men Pure Energy / A*Men Pure Shot by Thierry Mugler

Mugler Cologne with some juniper/mint thrown in.
Horrible projection, horrible longevity.

What a joke. Pass this one up and just go for Mugler Cologne
and save yourself a chunk of money.
07th March, 2012