Reviews by ubuandibeme

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Escada Margaretha Ley by Escada

Wow, powerhouse is right! Calchic nailed this one dead on. My initial impression of this rich, heady oriental by Margaretha Ley; is Christian Dior's Poison - the original. It is spicy and sweet, with womanly sillage to spare. The flowery part of this Escada is like that of Givenchy's Ysatis...soapy, heady & also a powerhouse frag! The orange blossom here is front and center throughout it's extra long life! Less is more with this juice - if you over apply this stuff, it will end up 'wearing you'. I do like it, on occassion!

07 April, 2008

La Rose de Rosine by Les Parfums de Rosine

This rose is fresh, lush and clear, with accents of candied violet dancing off each petal! A stand out among a multitude of rose fragrances. I like it particularly for its' non-cloying authenticity ~ Thumbs up for sure!

03 April, 2008

Mayotte / Mahora by Guerlain

This fragrance is very much about tuberose! (Purplebird7's written an excellent description!) White creamy tuberose and spicy vetiver rest upon a base of vanilla & sandalwood. It is so true that just when you think the topnotes are going to be too much, they calm, then ease skillfully into an extremely desireable oriental. Mahora seems as though she may be the illegitemate offspring of a Samsara-tuberose affair! I'm glad to have found this wonderful frag!

12 January, 2008

Fleurs des Caraïbes by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

The notes here include:

Bergamot, Melon, Heliotrope leaves, Hibiscus, Ylang, Freesia, Jasmine, Sandalwood, Flamboyant wood, Vanilla, Amber, Musk

Wow, what a list! When I close my eyes and smell Flowers Of The Caribbean...I smell vanilla. Lots of it. Beyond that, there is a floral mix that merges well with that potent vanilla. It almost has a "Guerlain-ish" tone! A very likeable summer/resort fragrance. A CSP creation that doesn't smell like dessert...nice change!

11th January, 2008

Citrus Sorbet by Anthousa

Begins with a very bold and fresh blast of lemon/mandarine/grapefruit ~ then dries down to smell like Fresh's Sake. It ends up on the sweet side. OK, but not that special. I guess if you find it for around $15.00 at an outlet it might be worth a purchase.

08 January, 2008

Knowing by Estée Lauder

BOLD! Lots of rose, patchouli, vanilla, incense and woods in this blend. As previous reviewers note, it is a deeply European styled scent well suited to cooler weather. I can't say it's for me, but I LOVE to catch a whiff of this on some passer-by. Which is fairly easy, it's got incredible sillage!

29 December, 2007

Jala by Lea St Barth

I'm sampling the edp of Jala, and it's potent. (I understand there is an edt version, which could be more my taste.) At any rate, frangipane is definitely in this blend, and it is very loud! I much prefer a softer take on that note. This Jala gives me a feeling like something is stuck in the back of my throat. Plasticky. Sorry, I don't like this one at all.

26 December, 2007

Frapin 1270 by Frapin

Berry and plum compote drizzled with honey followed by a few sniffs and sips of brandy! A tinge of leather, vanilla and wood rounds out this upscale gourmand. I agree with all the previous commentaries and find ROBYOGI's to be most accurate. Heavy, different, intoxicating!

26 December, 2007

Florence by Tocca

Florence really comes off more like an old world Parisian fragrance instead of old Italy! The opening of violet petals and vivacious bergamot is lively, young and fresh! Sweet as well. IMO you have to like violets to enjoy this scent. While I'm not a big violet fan, I do think this is a very good product...the dusty iris compliments the sugary topnotes just fine! Excellent sillage and longevity.

White Petals by Keiko Mecheri

Breathtakingly feminine! An absolutely gorgeous soft white floral blend! Not cloying whatsoever. Fresh, powdery, soft, very wearable for most any occasion or season. Comes off slightly oriental for me, exquisitely blended! I might even say the powdery musk contains a form of iris. This one's going on my wish list for sure!

Une Folie de Roses by Les Parfums de Rosine

Un Folie de Rose is heavy, thick, rich and powerful. I compare it to the likes of EL's Youth Dew. For my own selection of fragrance, I cannot enjoy either one! Way too much for me, smells like the "cloying old lady" perfume on my skin - however, I am giving this one a thumbs up because when I washed it off ~ the remaining 'core' of this frag was gorgeous. Yeah, the true essence of it's composition is worthy of praise. So if you like 'em strong, with full speed ahead type sillage, give this Rosine a try!

Irisia by Creed

Dusty iris and dry oakmoss nestled within the signature Creed base. It's definitely not as sharp as most florals from this house. Unisex, and easy wearing in the heat of summer. Given it's birthdate of 1968, I find it timeless in presentation ~ especially now with the current influx of iris frags. I'm actually suprised how much I like this one!!!

24 December, 2007

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Just as in L'Artisans' Mandarine Tout Simplement, Timbuktu makes great use of my most favorite spice note - cardamom! I absolutely adore it, and am very pleased to find it so prominently displayed. Timbuktu is really a masterpiece fragrance. I say that because of all the vivid imagery it creates for each individual, including this wide array of perceptions...

'...Irish Spring soap'
    '...angular beauty'
    '...a fave L'Artisan'
    '...sophisticated drydown'
    '...Arabian bazaar'
    '...fart to cover it up'

...and a few reviewers changing their minds about this frag after spending more time wearing it. For me, it is more of a masculine scent. A clean incense with perfect pitch! Put this one on your list of fragrances to try - definitely!

23 December, 2007

Park Avenue by Bond No. 9

I'm sort of in-between SHYCAT & TOVAH on this one...yes, the lemon/camomille combination come off as 'tea' for sure.
    I don't personally care for the blend of notes here, but I love TOVAH's personal anecdote! (And her description of Park Ave. makes me want to love this scent!) But at the end of the day, I just don't care for it very much at all.
    My chemistry is in conflict with PA. Maybe it's the rose, or even the paperwhite...but something's off kilter.

23 December, 2007

Cleopatra by Tocca

With a name like Cleopatra, this fragrance has to be exotic! For me, this blend which starts off with juicy grapefruit then heads straight to the base - the tuberose and jasmine show up, but seem blended into the strong base. The musk, vanilla, patchouli combo here is sensual and reminds me of Narcsiso Rodriguez for Her, and a little bit of Lady Vengeance by Juliette Has a Gun. At the end of the day, Cleopatra is a pleasant scent, maybe not so exotic but most definitely womanly. It's mediocre on longevity...LV is much more tenacious...but I find myself occassionally craving this one!

22 December, 2007 (Last Edited: 04 April, 2008)

Hot by Benetton

Tacky bottle, filled with liquid vanilla combined with a cheap wood notes...I couldn't be more turned off.

22 December, 2007

Vanille Pineapple by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

For some odd reason, I sort of like this scent?! I really don't want to wear it, but sniffing it from my wrist is kind of enjoyable?! An enigma!

Peau de Pêche by Keiko Mecheri

This is what Goutal's Petite Cherie tried to be, but failed. Peau de Peche by Mecheri is a remarkable rendition of the actual white peach, skin, pulp and stone included! Well done!

Chelsea Flowers by Bond No. 9

A sprite white floral, drying down with a healthy dose of greenery. As I first applied Chelsea Flowers it brought to mind Tommy Girl. As the initial topnotes eased, CF remained an ultra fresh bouquet of white flowers with loads of green sprigs - much better than Tommy Girl could ever hope to be!
    This is one of Bond no.9's better offerings!

Madison Soirée by Bond No. 9

O.K., tell me I'm not crazy...this smells like NUDE! (Which was created by Sophia Grojsman for the Bill Blass label.) I think it's the aldehydes in the opening and the oakmoss in the drydown. Sparkling and fresh floral - very light and clean, I'm lovin' it!

Chèvrefeuille Original by Creed

My friend across the street has a patch of delicious mint growing wildly in her landscape, she lets me swipe some whenever I need it...Chevrefeuille smells like when I rub one of those fresh mint leaves between my fingers. It is lemony and bright! Slightly herbaceous with an everlasting type freshness. As for the honeysuckle ~ I don't get much at all - it is extremely subdued. This is a winning unisex summertime elixir! In fact, I might prefer it on a man.

21st December, 2007 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Sa Majesté la Rose by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Sa Majeste' la Rose! This is by far the biggest boldest rose fragrance ever created, but that's just Lutens' for you! Vibert's commentary is extremely accurate. This scent has a very regal aire to it, and suprisingly unisex as well! Simply magnificent!

The Scent of Peace by Bond No. 9

Mild and juicy, with prominent notes of cedar. I like this one, but agree with previous reviewers that the drydown smells very much like D&G's Light Blue. I actually sampled them together to verify this coincidence and sure enough - they are cousins! IMO, Scent of Peace comes across softer, and better quality...but for the money...

La Chasse Aux Papillons by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is a beautiful floral blend! Light, fresh, and close wearing. The most obvious floral note is linden, which is crisp. I much prefer this version to the 'extreme' version - because I don't get the overload of pink pepper! For me, La Chasse Aux Papillons is bottleworthy and would be a very safe gift.

20th December, 2007 (Last Edited: 04 April, 2008)

Safran Troublant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I think this scent is FABULOUS! However ~ I don't want to wear it! My enjoyment of Safran Troublant will be limited to a mere sampling. Previous reviewers FOETIDUS, TOVAH, & ROBYOGI have described this scent perfectly.

La Haie Fleurie du Hameau by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This one dries down like Bond no.9 Chinatown! The opening blast of jasmine is authentic, but fades quickly. It is nowhere near the quality or stunning beauty of Lutens' A La Nuit. For a jasmine scent I find it 'middle of the road'.

Datura Noir by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Datura Noir merits every comment posted by previous reviewers! It does lean more toward the feminine side ~ TVLAMPBOY's right, I really don't know ANY guy who could wear this one. Once the sweetness subsides, the powder takes over. I mean IT TAKES OVER!!! It's actually too much for me.

Mimosa Pour Moi by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Starts off hard candy sweet - like a Charms pop. After the sweet comes the powder, then it fades away...

Eau de Campagne by Sisley

I like FOETIDUS' review! For myself, I enjoyed quite a brisk citrus note in the opening of Eau de Campagne, which seems to be the perfect accent to this foliage filled frag! I adore the mossy drydown. This eau de toilette is truly unisex as well.

17 December, 2007

Jasmal by Creed

Creed's Jasmal is certainly no cheap smelling air freshener! It is a beautifully blended emulsification of jasmine, rose, iris, and assorted greens. While I prefer Lutens' A La Nuit - whose jasmine truly stands as a soliflore - Creed's rendition is very user friendly, as the jasmine is well supported by the roses' softness. For me, the rose was very obvious, as well as the iris in the drydown. These two authentic flowery notes are responsible for Jasmal's "roundness" and slightly powdery kick. I love when perfumers pair fresh greens with jasmine, and other heavy hitting flowers, because the natural green notes really keep those fragrant blooms fresh smelling. That effect is here in Jasmal! Fresh floral - with a definite thumbs up!

17 December, 2007