Reviews by ubuandibeme

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Soir de Lune by Sisley

I agree with PURPLEBIRD7's commentary, especially that the notes here travel a circular path. I also find it to be a 'dry floral'. Soir de Lune is a bold, womanly fragrance. The sillage is extreme, as well as it's longevity. I usually don't have limits as to the 'wearability' of a scent but I think SdL is far too luxurious for daytime wear - it is best reserved for a special event or evening fragrance. Stunning!

16th December, 2007

Eau du Soir by Sisley

Notes for this floral chypre are:

Mandarin, Grapefruit, Syringa, Rose of the Orient, Egyptian Jasmine, Iris, Juniper.

Wow! 'Exquisite' is the expression of this beautifully crafted eau de parfum. Juniper is the star here, it is cold, blue-green, and magnetic. The other notes in this blend seem to wrap themselves around the juniper, then gently unfold - like a flower in bloom. I'm so glad it doesn't come off like gin... juniper usually smells like gin to me but not in EdS! After awhile, the powder of iris softens and warms Eau du Soir. I must say, I think the craftsmanship of this fragrance is superb! Kudos to Hubert and Isabelle d'Ornano!

16th December, 2007

Bryant Park by Bond No. 9

Never having visited Bryant Park in New York, I can't help but wonder if there are rose gardens there...this fragrance contains as much rose as it does raspberry! In fact, the rose note is the most prominent to my nose. I like that the pyramid is sort of 'mixed up' from the standard fruity floral. Tovah is right when she says it's not your "run-of-the-mill" scent. I love it's uniqueness. The tart raspberry and patchouli here bring to mind SJP's Lovely, with the apple martini/patchouli combo. Worth a try for sure.

14th December, 2007

Lady Vengeance by Juliette Has a Gun

This is a gorgeous rose fragrance! To my nose it is like L'Artisan's Voleur de Roses ~ only with a fresh living rose! The rose/patchouli/vanilla trio here is excellent! A simple formula plus quality ingredients equals a winner. I literally cannot stop sniffing my wrist. After about 4 hours, I'm a bit annoyed that LV is still strong as ever on my skin. It has worn my nose down. I read that this frag was designed intentionally to be very linear...well...it is. Which is what prevents me from buying a bottle. (I would most likely buy Cleopatra by Tocca instead) If you are looking for a rose/patchouli/vanilla frag with exceptional staying power ~ that remains intact from the very first spritz ~ this is what you are looking for, and may very well purchase without hesitation!

14th December, 2007 (Last Edited: 04th April, 2008)

Vanilla Lust by Jill Stuart

Vanilla extract. After I wore this for about an hour, I asked my husband what he thought...he said "smells like vanilla extract". That's all, nothing more.

14th December, 2007

Daisy by Marc Jacobs

Daisy ~ I love that name! The scent itself is sunny and free spirited! Look at that bottle, it's cute as cute can be! It's 'kitchy' rather than 'cheap'...OK, OK, it's your basic fruity floral, no different than at least 20 other department store fragrances. So why do I love it? I'm a marketing advertisers' dream. Yep, if you give it a great name, a cute bottle, a fun ad campaign - so long as it's not offensive to my nose, I'll fall for it. Well, almost. Ultimately I won't be making a purchase, unless my daughter falls for it...

12th December, 2007

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Daim Blond is the leather of desire. Sensual skin on skin. If you are going to sample this one, you must - I repeat, MUST wear it on your skin! No sterile white paper ribbons please. I don't wear leather fragrances, but DB is the best you'll find in quality. Highly wearable, modern, close wearing and just plain sexy! This magnificent potion seems to melt and combine itself with human DNA when activated by body heat. Let me take it one step further by suggesting you sample this one along with your partner, then as PLURAN would say:

GET TO IT! (I doubt you'll be disappointed!)

11th December, 2007

Moschino Funny! by Moschino

Bitter orange & pink pepper...hmmm...sound special enough but delivers more like Lawry's lemon pepper food seasoning. The bitter orange/cinnamon combo in L by Lolita Lempicka is a far more compatible pairing! Once past the top notes, the green tea is clear and bright, fresh like Bulgari's Au The Vert. After the green tea, this one goes straight to the cedarwood. It is not as pungent a cedar note as in Moschino Couture! yet overpowers the remaining base notes. Most definitely for the younger crowd...I'm not lovin' it OR hating it...thus a neutral rating from this middle aged finnicky nose!

10th December, 2007

Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile by Acqua di Parma

Iris Nobile is, as MonkeyManMatt has stated, more about star anise ~ in the opening. With anise being such a love it or hate it type note, your appreciation for this frag will certainly depend upon how you take to star anise! I personally enjoy it, so you can guess I really like Iris Nobile! After the initial blast of anise, the rest of this scent is truly a partnership of orange blossom and iris. The notes waft back and forth from creamy to powdery, and the overall impression is totally feminine. Lightly fresh and slightly sweet, I can't imagine anyone finding IN offensive. Along with Prada's new Infusion d'Iris, Acqua di Parma has produced another winning iris perfume for us to enjoy! * 8/2009 as an update to this commentary I'd add that Iris Nobile is more about the orange blossom than iris...I'd liken it to Giorgio (of Beverly Hills) - you know, the one with the gold & white striped box. It is on the sweeter side of florals, and perfectly powdery too!

10th December, 2007 (Last Edited: 04th August, 2009)

Louve by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

In the late 1970's Vidal Sassoon went retail with their hair care products. Their original salon shampoo was packaged in a brown cylindrical bottle and smelled of almond and maraschino cherries...this is how SL's Louve smells to me! It is sweet and powdery. I do detect a bit of rose in this mix. Dries down a bit like Chergui on my skin. Interesting.

08th December, 2007

La Chasse Aux Papillons Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Very green and fresh at the opening. The florals here are extremely well blended, and definitely not sweet or heady. Soft and light. For me, the pink pepper is too dominant. If not for that, I'd say LCAP is a keeper. Wears sheer, and reminds me of Keiko Mecheri's Jasmin & also Chantecaille's floral fragrances. Quality!

08th December, 2007

Elle by Yves Saint Laurent

YSL consistently puts forth uncompromised, relevant and uniquely wearable fragrances. In fact, I am a YSL devotee! Elle is one scent I feel has been aimed at the younger parfum wearer. A bit on the trend with notes of lychee, peony, vetiver and patchouli - Elle also contains a healthy dose of cedarwood, which is very direct from the first spritz. There are no suprises here. What makes this fruity/patchouli/floral superior to the slough of it's mass market competitors is balance. Blending, balancing, and quality of ingredients makes Elle stand out above the rest. I don't mean to imply this is a groundbreaking scent ~ merely a higher quality composition in a sea of mediocrity. I give Elle a thumbs up, but just barely.

07th December, 2007

Fleurs de Citronnier by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

VIBERT speaks the truth about this fragrance! There are only two additional points of interest I'm compelled to add:

Fleurs de Citronnier is very powdery, especially throughout the heart notes. (I actually sneezed each of the 3 times I sampled FdC!) In the drydown, I detect vetiver pretty distinctly. In fact, the latter stage of this fragrance's development gives FdC it's unisex rating. Enjoy!

07th December, 2007

Vivara (new) by Emilio Pucci

A dry, "modern woman's" chypre, containing only a tiny bit of sweetness. The progression in the opening is distinct - which I love. I'm fascinated by the way a particular note can open, then completely close allowing yet another totally different note come forth. The top and middle notes in Vivara do this - in full force! This is not a soft pink girly-girl type fragrance. (By the same token it may not be all that distinct on a man's skin.) I feel it's for the confident woman, such as Sharon Stone or maybe Glenn Close and/or Meryl Streep. Do you get my drift? Vivara comes across as a more up-scale version of say Coco Mad. or Miss Dior Cherie. It is a fragrance of wealth and good taste.

06th December, 2007

Missoni Acqua by Missoni

Acqua starts off like thousands of other basic fruity florals. When the flowers kick in it's time to break out the oxygen mask...a powdery green fog chokes off the air supply, leaving me drowning in Acqua. It's just too much.

06th December, 2007

Versace by Versace

With all the "living" notes in Versace, this fragrance cannot help but smell "ALIVE"! The opening here is fresh & juicy. I love that it's not too fruity. There is a thread of aquatic/ozonic sensation that ripples through, just enough to keep the livliness in tact. The base is primarily musk, balanced by cedar. It ends up powdery on my skin. Decidedly feminine, with a feeling attached to it that is reminiscent of RL's Romance. Moderate to bold sillage, excellent staying power. Can be worn easily by any age group! It's not my personal choice of fragrance to wear, but I think it's wonderful and wearable! Thumbs up!

06th December, 2007 (Last Edited: 17th April, 2008)

Saks Fifth Avenue for Her by Bond No. 9

Being a fan of Bond No. 9 ~ I hate to say it, but, this one is no good. FULLCIRCLE is right, sickeningly sweet. The gardenia/tuberose combo is way over the top. Those are the only two notes I could smell. I get a plastic note too. SFAforHer reminds me of the old 80's Redken's Pique, and also of Coty's Sand & Sable. I couldn't be more disappointed.

05th December, 2007

Virgin Island Water by Creed

ZZTOPP's commentary regarding this Creed is perfect! I will be purchasing Virgin Island Water come summer 2008!

Well, summer's around the corner and I've got my VIW ready to go! This stuff has gotten alot of undeserved bad press. I'll tell you this: it does not smell like suntan lotion. It does not smell like a drink. It does not even smell like B&BW Coconut Lime Verbena. Nope. What it DOES smell like is zesty citrus...lime...fresh and bright. The coconut is creamy and light, not too sweet, and definitely not like any lotion. The delicate florals are barely perceptable, but give balance so that this playfully classy elixir never comes off 'foody'. VIW is also completely unisex! My husband and I love it on eachother! Remarkably tenacious, and perfect for hot humid weather or a balmy summer evening. This is the only Creed I own, because it's worth owning!

05th December, 2007 (Last Edited: 18th April, 2008)

Un Bois Vanille by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I like this one alot! scents containing wood notes are typically difficult for me wear, but this warm, coconut milk & honey Un Bois Vanille gives me the chance to wear those comforting smells with no trouble at all! True enough, there is definitely more bois than vanille ~ but that's fine by me.

Maybe it's just dumb luck that I sampled this one on a cold wintery day -it is lovely and perfect to my senses. While this composition is fairly straight forward, I cannot recall wearing any other fragrance that smells the same! The foody elements are sweet but not too much so. As for the notes of wood, Lutens is the master! I'll be emptying my wallet for this one!

03rd December, 2007

Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This floral is thick! So thick, it may be applied by using a spatula! Honestly, the orange blossom, jasmine, tuberose, rose, musk and spices all come out at once and the effect is smothering. The closest comparison I can draw is if there was a super concentrated extreme version of Fracas. But even then, Fracas has a certain garden freshness ~ Fd'O has an underlying note of B.O. Yeah, when I caught a whiff of THAT I had to check my own armpits...sure enough, my anti-perspirant hadn't failed me, it was the Fd'O.

30th November, 2007

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

Outstanding! Thank you Prada, for this magnificent fragrance! It is with great joy I announce to you all that Infusion d'Iris does not follow any current trends in fragrance...it is an original - with a capital 'O'! It is everything POOKERELLA, FLEURSDUMAL & CLEMMIE have said, and then some. The iris here is extremely wearable, with a drydown like no other. I love the fact there is no vanilla or patchouli in the base, a refreshing change from the status quo. And guess what else? I would be perfectly happy to smell this on a man as well. The sillage is moderate, but the juice itself is quite tenacious. It is not deep or dark. On the contrary, Id'I is a veil of light. There is a combination of notes in this blend that vaguely remind me of the original (1957) version of L'Interdit by Givenchy. I think it's the combination of a brighter type iris note with vetiver in the base. The current re-mix doesn't have it, just the original. Smelling this makes me long for that 1957 version...at any rate, I just bought a bottle of Infusion d'Iris ~ be prepared to do the same!

28th November, 2007

Kai by Kai

Gardenia, jasmine & lily. This blend is fresh! If you love fresh florals, particularly gardenia, this is a wonderful choice of fragrance for you! The entire variety of body products are quite nice as well - especially the newly released body butter. Thumbs up - enthusiastically!

28th November, 2007

Unforgivable Woman by Sean John

I'm back and forth on this one...
    In a nutshell Unforgivable Woman is a fruity floral with a slightly powdery kick. Very feminine in the traditional sense of fragrance. Kind of reminds me of the way old fashioned cosmetics used to smell. You know ~ powdered rouge, cakey lipstick, french milled face powder. The blending of notes is pleasant - sweetly subtle, but just doesn't "wow" me.

27th November, 2007

Believe by Britney Spears

Oooops, I did it again! (Ha, couldn't resist!) Yep, I tried another Britney Spears frag...well...I actually didn't know it was BS. At Sephora the geometric bottle and cute boxes on display caught my eye, so I spritzed a test strip. Initially there is a short lived note of citrus, and before this juice even hits the paper I detect patchouli. There is some sweet honeysuckle and linden that hover around for awhile. Believe rapidly ends it's progression with a very dry patchouli. The sales associate tells me it's amber based, but my nose doesn't agree. Smells more like cedarwood and patchouli, somewhat dry and aromatic. There is no detectable depth or warmth, it's very much 'on the surface'. When I reflect upon Britney ~ the shaved head, divorce, rehab, losing custody for neglect of her 2 babies, the MTV flop ~ I just can't get enough positive feeling going to consider this purchaseable or wearable. This is one instance where the celeb name has murdered the potential of the product. It's a shame too, because it's a half way decent scent.

21st November, 2007

Sarrasins by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Cobalt-purple is the vibrant color of Sarrisins and it is audacious! Upon first sniff I smell ink. It brings an instant memory of my early childhood, when classroom worksheets were printed by mimeograph with the same cobalt-purple colored ink! The intoxicating scent of that freshly printed page compelled students to deeply inhale the smell of that wet, blurred print!

I also smell insulin. Most of you reading this will not relate, but if you are familiar with Novolog you'll know 'that smell'. These top-notes last only for a few minutes before making their segue' into the delicate and transparent floral heart. Yes, I did say delicate and transparent! A complete departure from the intensity of fragrance that has become Lutens' signature.

Because I am so ridiculously attached to A La Nuit, the Lutens jasmine note is plainly obvious ~ fresh, raw, and authentic ~ although it is quite tempered! There is a milk & honey sweetness as well. Creamy and rich. I also get the slightest hint of buttery tuberose, which makes me feel a bit 'teased'...compelling me to put Tubereuse Criminelle on my list of frags to test!

Sarrisins is unique. Fresh, progressive, wearing clear and sheer, completely new territory for this house. I have a feeling this creation is only the first of many new & inventive parfums yet to come. Now that Lutens has ventured out of their comfort zone, the possibilities are endless!

21st November, 2007

Falling In Love by Philosophy

Falling In Love is pure fairytale clean, sweet & innocent. Lemons and blackberry burst forth then quietly calm to a comfortable light musk tinged with vanilla. Frankly, it's a little too clean for my taste. (Amazing Grace from this same house is preferable to me, it's less fruity.) What draws me to this scent is the 'philosophy' of the brand. Little life lessons/beliefs are written for each product and printed on the labels ~ which I love! Especially nice for young women, who seem to appreciate these neat & clean aromas too! While I won't be wearing this fragrance, I will be purchasing it to give as gifts this Christmas.

20th November, 2007

Wrappings by Clinique

Try as I may (and I have tried many times!)to enjoy this seasonal wonder - for me, it will never be the lovely scent described by previous reviewers. Wrappings comes off heavy & dense, basically containing way too much of every note listed! A single whiff hits me like a punch in the face! As my young son (almost 9 years old) says "Oh man! That burns my nose!"

20th November, 2007

Toujours Moi by Dana

An oldie but goodie for sure! I thought it came about in the 70's, how suprising to find out it's been scenting women for almost 90 years! I consider this one comparable to the likes of Tabu. Toujours Moi is a true oriental. It is sweet, with a definite sandalwood base. I cannot detect if the formulation has changed over the years, as my nose isn't that familiar with this juice. A drugstore suprise that won't disappoint ~ so dig out the change from the bottom of your purse, pockets or sofa cushions and give this classic a try!

17th November, 2007

My Insolence by Guerlain

Powerhouse of an opener! No kidding, I sparingly spritzed a small amount of this juice onto the back of my hand and WHOOSH ~ a cloud of Guerlain permeated the entire shop! It was the good fortune of everyone within a 100 foot radius that I chose My Insolence to try! If an explosion of perfume is innevitable, make it a good one. Almost right from the start I could sense the patchouli/vanilla/tonka base begining to simmer as the attention grabbing raspberry cloud shifted. I say that in a good way ~ the raspberry note here is as beautiful as it is potent. The sweet/tart fruitiness melds into the floral heart effortlessly, and is in perfect balance. Not too sweet, which I applaud. The jasmine shares an equal spotlight with the almond blossom, one not standing in front of the other, completely side by side. As an hour passes this fragrance stays close, which suprises me...it settles into a powdery oriental that keeps me sniffing!!! My Insolence is gorgeous, I highly recommend giving it a try. That goes for you adventuresome gentlemen too!

13th November, 2007 (Last Edited: 17th April, 2008)

Fuel For Life pour Femme by Diesel

Notes of blackcurrant, jasmine and patchouli ~ as the Diesel website has listed. The blackcurrant note appears to me as 'fermented'. I don't particularly care for that pungent opening...as the scent progresses it clearly improves. The jasmine is seductive and wears close to the skin. Patchouli in the base keeps the rest of this scent clean & grounded in an veil of earthiness. I'm 50/50 on Fuel For Life pour Femme, I'll need to give it another test...

08th November, 2007