Reviews by ubuandibeme

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Midnight Poison by Christian Dior

My expectations were along the lines of Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan, sadly I was disappointed. I don't think Midnight Poison is a 'bad' fragrance. It is a simple scent. Read the listed notes. Bergamot, orange, rose, patchouli, amber. Imagine them in your olfactory memory. That's it, plain and simple. No embellishments or subtle nuances here...all in all it is very mainstream. I'm lukewarm on this one.

L - L.A.M.B by Gwen Stefani

Interesting. Opens with a tangy sparkle, bright and juicy. Sweet rose and peony grab my attention and hold it for quite awhile! The florals here are not particularly fresh or authentic, but they come across quite modern and very youthful. Slightly soapy. This will probably sell very well, but it's not for me.

Jasmine by Keiko Mecheri

Keiko Mecheri's take on Jasmine is very, very green. The first flower note I actually smell when spritzing this scent is honeysuckle! I do get some tiny bit of jasmine, but the tone is overwhelmingly green. Reminds me of Gucci's Envy Me (the pink one). Petitgrain comes through minimally as a woody base - but still extremely green! I wore this for about two weeks and never received a compliment, nor any inquiries...most importantly, I didn't really enjoy it. Sadly, this jasmine leaves me flat.

Paris Hilton by Paris Hilton

Peaches & champagne. That's all. I'm about 50/50 on this one. Maybe for the younger crowd...

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Earthy! Hence the name "Terre d'Hermes" couldn't be more appropriate! This dry, aromatic blend is sun-kissed by citrus and wears close to the skin. It is very fine quality perfumery, just what I'd expect from this house!

04 November, 2007

Eau de Star by Thierry Mugler

You've got it QUARRY, this one's on a quest for sales. I imagine the concept came about something like this: "Hey, since Angel was such a big seller, and the Angel sequels 'innocent' and 'garden of stars' also sold well, why not take the dollar generating base of Angel and throw a fresh spin on it...yeah, that's it...another version of the basic Angel...

Well, that is pretty much my impression of this very boring, predictable yet crappy offering. Oh, and by the way, the bottle is a re-run as well. Spare me.

03 November, 2007

Sugar Lychee by Fresh

VIBERT has accurately penned this one! The notes here seem familiar yet new at the same time! This house has never been a favorite of mine, however, this Sugar Lychee is impressive.

03 November, 2007

Bulgarian Rose by Demeter Fragrance Library

While waiting in the checkout line at the local Marshall's, I spotted an inconspicuous display of Demeter fragrances. Right next to the bottle of Play-Doh scent I noticed this Bulgarian Rose and took a little sniff. I was shocked at the decent quality, and delightfully authentic rose fragrance that eminated from this cheap juice! It was really cheap too - only $7.99 for a 1 oz. bottle. I believe it could hold its' own in a blind sniff against other "Bulgarian Roses" in much higher price categories. For a bottle of decent fragrance under ten bucks - this one's worth scrounging the discount shelves to find! PS ~ I'm going back tomorrow to purchase this...even if I end up using it to scent my bed linens the price is totally worth it!

02 November, 2007

Can Can Paris Hilton by Paris Hilton

Firmenich's Jean-Claude Delville is the supposed creator of Can Can PH. I was suprised to find this tid-bit of information as not many parfumers openly associate their name with a celebrity scent ~ they seem to merely create the mess, take the money & run! In this case, the fragrance is somewhat decent. Miss Hilton's ad campaign for her latest name-sake frag is obviously 'post boob-job' and makes for some pretty photos. The bottle is kind of plain, but sort of attractive at the same time. The juice itself is also plain and yet attractive...top notes include clementine flower, cassis and nectarine, which is the least appealing part of Can CAn. The initial blast comes off a bit cheap, if not tawdry. In the heart are notes of wild orchid and orange blossom. I will say they are OK. Orchid always seems to 'stick in the back of my throat' but in this particular blend it is tolerable. Most enjoyable is the final phase consisting of musk, amber and woods, and while not listed, I clearly smell vanilla.
    In comparison with the overall selection of newer department store perfumes, this one is nice enough and different enough to be a contender.

28 October, 2007

Marc Jacobs Autumn Splash Amber by Marc Jacobs

An extremely light and user friendly amber, that doesn't really contain all that much...well...amber! Autumn is the perfect season to breath in this scent. Marc Jacobs Amber smells like the fall breeze and tons of dried leaves! I also get a faint note of suede ~ which may be an illusion, but comfy cozy just the same. Wears close and sheer. The only bottles I've found are huge! Hopefully I'll find a small bottle to use during the next few weeks as Thanksgiving approaches.

28 October, 2007

Jasmin by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Jasmine is a floral note that lives within many fragrances spanning time and even gender. When a parfumer introduces this abundantly fragrant flower as the focal point of a scent, I'm all set to try it! Many times my nose meets with disappointment as so many of these so called "jasmines" contain a multitude of other notes that either overrun the jasmine, or flat out steal the jasmine's spotlight. With that said, you can tell I'm just a little bit picky!

In MPG's rendition Jasmin, the opening note of this flower is authentic, delicate and beautiful. It is accompanied by a touch of green, which IMO always compliments jasmine and enables it to sustain a certain quality of freshness. It is clearly sustained throughout the entire wearing, thus earning it's 'jasmin' name. Also living in this blend is a healthy dose of oakmoss. Oakmoss imparts a serious dry feeling, cutting away any excessive sweetness that may exist. It's enjoyable; a unique pairing. If you normally don't care for the scent of jasmine, this is truly a different presentation ~ completely worth trying. After sampling this juice on my body for a couple days, it is what some refer to as 'indolic'. I call it 'fleshy'. My recommendation is to give this one a serious trial - then decide for yourself. It is worthy of a fair wear!

27 October, 2007

L'Eau par Kenzo by Kenzo

While browsing Sephora I decided to test a fragrance far away from anything I would normally be attracted to...and L'Eau par Kenzo ended up on my wrist. Shockingly good! This watery lotus flower scent is dewey fresh. I get a hint of soft pepper and watermelon seeds! Initial cool and refreshing water notes evolve into a lightly wooded - amber tinged base, which adds more depth than warmth to this blend. I'm intrigued by the unusual essences of nature here in
    this divine combination of notes; a very impressive fragrance. Youthful and in good taste!

22 October, 2007

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

Musk isn't really my sort of thing, but this Kiehl's is truly classic. PURPLEBIRD7's comments still have me snickering! She's right you know, this is a funky musk, and it's everything else she said too! I personally classify it as being masculine, although it is clearly unisex. You can find this stuff just about anywhere and it's very affordable. 44 years and still going strong, how can you argue with that?!

19 October, 2007

Songes by Annick Goutal

Frangipani, jasmine and ylang ylang, how gorgeous a trio is that?! These flowers are hot, and exotic! Indolic, with an almost oily character. This Eau de Toilette wears like a sheer floral veil on the skin. Body heat helps release its intoxicating molecules. You are not going to find perfumery of this exceptional caliber unless you are shopping an upscale store. (Only top shelf materials in this one folks!) Admittedly, it has taken me awhile to appreciate the Goutal range of perfumes. I'm happy to have taken the time to educate my senses - then revisit this quality line. Thumbs up!

17 October, 2007 (Last Edited: 04 October, 2010)

Kors by Michael Kors

Wine and Roses, the stuff Kors is made of! CALCHIC's got this one pin-pointed & detailed. I will look for just the right occasion to wear my sample of this luxury frag. It's special!

17 October, 2007

Jardin Blanc by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

O.K. QUARRY & FOETIDUS, Three's a charm...I couldn't agree with you more!

17 October, 2007

Velvet Tuberose by Bath and Body Works

Straight out of the bottle this basically smelled like Givenchy's Amarige. After about 30 minutes on the skin it turns dry and musky. Not what I had hoped.

Blu Notte pour Homme by Bulgari

My husband has been wearing this for about 2 weeks now. He instantly loved it! I'm finding a growing appreciation for the stuff. Right from the get go, Blu Notte is uplifting. My nose truly likes a dose of ginger now and again, so this blend satisfies in that respect. BN is a fragrance that sustains a high pitch for an extended period. It is not deep or rich to my senses. I love that it is truly different. I cannot think of another scent like it...except of course for Blu Notte for women! We haven't worn them in tandem but it could be very nice.

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

Award winning in every way ~ except I do not like to wear it! (What the heck?) I love to inhale Chinatown from a white paper test strip spritzed with this delicate juice. Ripe peach paired with bergamot is an uplifting opening. Each note in this blend fully enhances the next, and each are lucious and light. I especially appreciate the floral notes being subtley infused. If they were 'in your face', like some white florals can get, the whole composition would be ruined. The bottle is a cultural work of art ~ and accurately reflects the contents held within. Restraint and simplicity make this fragrance outstanding!

Nuits de NoHo by Bond No. 9

The first time I tried Nuits de NoHo it didn't seem like anything special. I used the tiniest amount from a sample vial and thought it a bit too strong. In a hurry, I did'nt have time to wash and apply something else, so I just 'went with it'. Lo and behold, heads were turning, compliments were flying, and I was forced to re-evaluate this frag with my own chemistry. Finally, able to get to the Basenotes website, how suprised I was to read TOVAH'S initial and then subsequent commentary on this scent!!! I feel pretty much about the same. After wearing this one a few times, I appreciate that it is provocative, and yes - expressive. The patchouli in this formulation is ultra pleasing to my nose. The top-notes of pineapple leaves, mandarin and bergamot are uniquely juicy, with just the right amount of sweet. "Clean" & "Sexy" were some of the compliments I received when wearing NdNH! Now truthfully, what woman wouldn't want to smell clean and/or sexy?! Two thumbs way up.

Organza Indécence by Givenchy

Nice accompaniment for chilly autumn & winter weather. Warm, dry and very woody. Although cinnamon is found here, Organza Indecence doesn't come off foody or gourmand whatsoever. Daring, with a friendly vanilla laced throughout; making it approachable.

Coconut Lime Verbena by Bath and Body Works

Refreshing and light, pretty good staying power too! Everytime my daughter layers this scent I breathe a bit more deeply as she passes by!

Wild Honeysuckle by Bath and Body Works

This is my new favorite scent for hand soap! I bought a bottle to try and everytime I wash my hands, I keep having to sniff them - over and over again! I love the freshness of this floral blend. Inoffensive, it doesn't interfere with my choice of fragrance for the day. I liked it so much, I subsequently purchased the shower gel for that same total body effect! Excellent find.

Frangipane by Chantecaille

Fresh and powdery with a touch of green. This expertly emulsified blend brings to mind the ultra luxurious frangipane note within Chanel's Coco. This fragrance is not the same as Coco by any means, but the frangipane is clearly recognizable in each composition. Vanilla in the base grounds the ethereal overtone of this fragrance perfectly. Frangipane would make an exquisite layering product, for it's unusual notes are unique, pure; well balanced. What a wonderful suprise!

Oriental Amber by Pecksniff's

I'm a sucker for ginger ~ I know, I know, so many others have issues with that pungent root, but I love when it's subtley used and in Pecksniff's Oriental Amber it is presented with the lightest touch. The chosen spices and flowers of this 'recipe' live well together. The spices transition easily into the floral heart, which also shifts smoothly into the earthy, wooded base. There is a distinct natural harmony here, and though these powerhouse notes have the potential to be cloying - they're not at all! They have a very light effect, with an underlying sweetness throughout. Oriental Amber is reflective of the longtime reputation of excellence by this fragrance house. I hope they continue with more creations like this!

White Floral by Pecksniff's

White Floral by Pecksniff can only be described as "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly". I'll begin with the good. High quality product here, potent too - with longevity and sillage to spare. The bad, for me, is the note of ylang-ylang. It is cloying here and pretty much what I call the death note of this bouquet. The ugly? Well, this one comes off like a public restroom air freshener. Almost toxic like in it's character. It's not nice.

Vanille Coco by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Smells like Bath & Body Works Warm Vanilla Sugar with a touch of coconut in the finish. Mediocre.

Douce Amère by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Douce Amere is interesting, and I have to laugh at (and agree with ) VIBERT'S comment that "Sheldrake" and "transparent" don't belong in the same sentence...so true! For all the potentially heavy notes of milk and honey, musk, sandalwood, wormwood, cedarwood, vanilla - this one does possess a transparent personality! I find it to be gentle and bitter at the same time, and while others appreciate the balance here, it is a bit too woody for my personal taste. Douce Amere might please me more on a man...

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Beyond amber! Lutens has given us the most resinous, spicy and aromatic amber known to man...Magnificent! I have intentionally waited for my nose to become a little bit more experienced before sampling this re-known creation, and it's paid off. I'm completely appreciative of the intensity that is Ambre Sultan. There is not a single weakness evident...the spices smolder, the resins are earthy, the woods dark, the musk deep, it's so warm to my senses I must describe it as steamy hot! As with most of my favorite's, there are mixed reviews. I adore this one ~ completely!

Secrète Datura by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Similar to Montale's Sweet Oriental Dream, only less intense - more wearable! (CALCHIC's got the details covered on this one!)