Reviews by ubuandibeme

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Quelques Fleurs L'Original by Houbigant

Wow, NEZ is right! This begins much like Chanel's Cristalle! Quelques Fleurs harbors the potentially cloying triple threat of rose-jasmine-tuberose, yet thankfully manages to keep that fragrant bouquet fresh and in tact. For me, the musk used here smells a bit "fleshy". For lilies I prefer the refined notes found in Lutens Un Lys, but considering the era of this creation and it's unwavering popularity I must give credit where it is due - thumbs up!

Vanisia by Creed

Vanisia IS clearly unisex - thanks for the heads up RUGGLES! No doubt a classic oriental! In the same vein as Caron's Parfum Sacre...although Caron's juice is far superior!

Fleurissimo by Creed

The gentleest floral from Creed. I hesitate to describe this scent as soft or rounded, because I don't find those adjectives accurate. Better put, Fleurissimo is the least harsh in the Creed line of florals. When it comes to this house, I'm consistently disappointed. Not because they don't produce a fine product mind you, I simply haven't experienced a Creed that I love. Their florals for women are predictable, wearing stark and thin on my skin. This one is a bit more powdery than say 2000 Fleurs or Spring Flower, but make no mistake ~ it's not stunning. Not worth the money. The reputation of this age old family fragrance house is stellar, but I have yet to find a true winner from them. I know, I know...my disappointment is showing!

Index Pink Jasmine by Fresh

Yet another fragrance by this house, whose name is not particularly descriptive of it's actual smell! I do detect jasmine in this juice, but it's surrounded by notes that force your nose to take the long road home to the actual jasmine! Peach skin and peony tag team for the acidic/cloying, stick in the back of your throat feeling you must endure before even a subtle glimpse of jasmine is revealed. Even then, there is a lily of the valley-ish note guarding the gates to the elusive jasmine. Finally, if you aren't worn down thus far, you will get to the jasmine. The disappontment is: it's not THAT great once you get there...I'll take Lutens A La Nuit over this anyday!

Blush Intense by Marc Jacobs

The jasmine in Blush Intense is of the sweet/tangy variety. Bright and girlish. Reminds me of the jasmine note within Coach's fragrance. Very wearable.

Silver Rain by La Prairie

This one deserves acknowledgement for creativity - including the packaging. I was excited to try Silver Rain after reading the fragrance notes. I LOVE anise, as well as several of the other notes listed. Well, I was a little let down. The opening was "camphorous", a bit harsh. The floral middle reminded me of Ford's Black Orchid. As the drydown progressed I ended up with an ozonic sort of powder that sort of made me want to cough. After saying all this, I have to tell you it actually didn't smell bad...it's just not for me.

Yvresse / Champagne by Yves Saint Laurent

I find this Yvresse to be a quenching fruity spritzer garnished with fresh slices of cucumber! It actually has quite a sophisticated character - which is sometimes difficult to pull off with juicy fruits! The first time I tried it, it was just 'meh'. The second time around is when I appreciated it's composition. That's Grojsman again, working her magic!

Rose Opulente by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Rose Opulente starts off with a strong waxy rose note; like lanolin based rose scented hand cream. Heavy, almost greasy. What might be perceived by some as spicy rose, on my skin turns sharp and acidic. Fortunately, this opening is fairly short lived - about 30-50 minutes - as this edt morphs into a sweet, cozy sandalwood. In the end, only a trace of the formerly bold rose remains. Funny, I couldn't wait for that rose note to calm down, once it did, I sort of missed it! This scent wouldn't be a personal choice of mine. I much prefer a dewy fresh and delicately soft blossom like I find in Stella's Rose Absolute or Lancome's Mille et une Roses. YSL'S Paris or Lancome's Tresor get my vote for a sparkling/effervescent rose. Yep. Those 4 are the best roses I know - so far!

Magical Moon by Hanae Mori

Magical Moon's eye catching cobalt blue bottle grabbed my attention and pulled me aside during a quick jaunt through Macy's fragrance dept., demanding a spot on my wrist. Of course, I complied! Guess what, this edp IS magical! Bright at first, with a multitude of fruit and flowery notes dancing off my wrist. After about 20-30 minutes it began to settle into it's dreamy cedar/sandalwood base ~ still sweet with crystal sugared fruits lingering. It ends up almost amber-ish on my skin. Perfect for an evening of romantic night sky gazing.

13 October, 2007

Délices de Cartier Eau Fruitée by Cartier

Thankfully, this delicious fruity floral veers from the commonplace! Tangy rhubarb tops the heart with a morello cherry/jasmine combo making this a scrumptious treat. Amber and sandalwood anchor the base softly. Overall, this is a close wearing scent - free from patchouli. Yummy! Not over the top (like Pleasures Delight) Cartier has gotten this one just right!

Jasmin de Nuit by Different Company

Mostly, I can relate to the review written by Goddess_Dreams! I call this perfume the "peek a boo jasmine"! Sometimes you smell it, and sometimes you don't. Well, the jasmine IS in there. It's just shameful how that poor little jasmine flower just gets overpowered by the plethora of spices found in this Cinnabar like foundation. Don't get me wrong, this juice is lovely, but I hold a distinct preference for the straight up, in your face, raw and unmistakable jasmine of Luten's A LA NUIT! If you take your jasmine fully embellished ~ you might like this one by Different Co.

Love In White by Creed

Crisp clean cotton sheeting sun-dried by a lakeside breeze. Virginal - pure & completely innocent. The white floral's tendency here is clear, bright and delicate. On my own skin it dries a bit soapy, and harsh. Stark. Even so, I cannot say anything bad about this one! Wish I could wear it, I'll just have to enjoy it on some passer-by...

Clair de Musc by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Yikes! It's a cross between foot powder and Windsong...and I do get that "hairspray" note for sure! Like spray laquer. Cheap smelling, not worth the $$$$$!

Ambre / Amber by L'Occitane

L'Occitane's Ambre is a real social climber! Slightly smokey and vanilic, this friendly juice is sure to please. I also get quite a generous note of cedar...warm, powdery, ever so lightly spiced. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm cozy. I'd love to get my hands on the oil or EDP of this stuff; although for an inexpensive edt it has suprisingly good sillage and staying power. Perfect for autumn!

Grapefruit by Jo Malone

AYALA said it best ~ a handsomely done citrus. Bravo! Works nicely as a layering product IMO. (I might sneak a spritz onto my husband and see how that goes!)

Fracas by Robert Piguet

For me, Fracas is "The Garden of Eden".
    Tuberose & gardenia, lily of the valley - just a touch, creamy white florals, a rich bouquet well put together. Superb balance! Intoxicating! Tempting! Naughty, but in the most innocent sort of way! Ultimately, irresistable!

Or des Indes by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

FOETIDUS ~ you've nailed this one square on! The only thing I can add is that Or des Indes comes across as a Mitsouko wanna-be, but never even makes it out the starting gate...

Fleurs des Comores by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I've been completely captivated and am totally enamoured by this exotic elixir! First off, yes ~ it does seem very much like L'Artisan's Vanilia. But the initial impression is truly the only commonality. Fleurs des Comores is full bodied, whereas Vanilia comes off thin and weak. The longevity and sillage of FdC are remarkable as well, leaving L'Artisan's creation waaaaaaaay behind. The vanilla, floral and green combo here is exquisite, delicate (but not at all weak)and is very wearable for most occassions. I must also tell you about the magnificent bottle and spraying mechanism...the bottle is heavy, thick, and shaped well to the hand. As for the sprayer ~ it gives the perfect wet mist. Generous too, not dribbly or sparse. The cap is a tad 'bling', sporting a giant faux diamond, but it's not too cheesy! For my finicky nose, Fleur des Comores satisfies and delights!

Eau de Mûre by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Harsh is the opening of Eau de Mure for me. Bitter green notes upstage the would be sweet & succulent blackberry. I was irritated by this...also, the musk in this blend comes off raw and dusty. Truth be told, I don't enjoy any aspect of this one.

Aloha Tiaré / Tiaré by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

New Version:

Mild gardenia and tuberose. Not "stunning", like the gardenia in Gucci Rush or "intense" like the tuberose in Malle's Carnal Flower. Simply mild. A creamy sweet floral infused with tropical innuendo.

Must de Cartier by Cartier

A powerhouse woody oriental. Predominantly dry/bitter in it's overall impression. Could be the particular vetiver used here. I think I might prefer this on a man. A little more vanilla could soften this composition a bit, but the vanilla makes too late an appearance ~ about 1-2 hours after application. On my skin this is "MUSTY de Cartier". Not wearable for me.

Anné Pliska by Anné Pliska

The previous reviews of Anne Pliska are what made me seek out a sample of this velvety smooth amber! And this is one time I was not disappointed! This lush symphony of notes progresses into the most luxurious dry down! It's almost decadent! My least favorite part is the opening orange ~ reminds me of children's chewable aspirin! Thankfully, that part doesn't last very long and the rest is soooooooo silky, I'm loving it!

Tiaré by Chantecaille

All Chantecaille's fragrances are transparent. The notes are sheer, clear and simply delightful to the senses. Not to say there is any lack of quality! No sir & no ma'am - these potions are top notch blends! Tiare is very green. I'm not a lover of outright 'green' in most scents, but here the green is mannerly. Notes: small tahitian gardenia, tuberose, mimosa and a touch of rosewood. Not too sweet either. Nicely done.

Nina (new) by Nina Ricci

Gorgeous bottle! Really caught my attention, which is how I ended up trying Nina. I love it on paper, and on my daughter - who smells wonderful wearing notes of cedar - but on my own skin it was not as nice. The top notes like toffee-apple are succulent! IMO the woodsy base completely off-sets the sweetness and produces an exquisite balancing act with lasting power that will knock your socks off!

Floriental by Pecksniff's

CLOYING! An overdone copy of YSL'S Opium or Lauder's Cinnabar. The cinnamon/carnation/rose trio is overbearing ~ upstaging even the heartiest of basenotes. The top notes of orange, pimento and bay leaves get completely railroaded by the middle. This blend is way out of balance.

Visit by Azzaro

For me, the stand-out notes here are the pepper and cedar. This duo takes me back a few summers when I used to wear Lacoste Pour Femme...very similar! Actually, I don't find the nutmeg in Visit to be un-welcome at all. It comes off quite complimentary in it's relationship with the other notes. What I do pick up though is a slightly metallic undercurrent that baffles me...Overall, Visit is a bit bland and very safe. Certainly, there are many other stunning scents to spend your dollars on!

French Lime Blossom by Jo Malone

The energy of this fragrance is in the same genre' as Les Meteorites (Guerlain) and Amazing Grace (Philosophy). French Lime Blossom is squeaky clean; pure. This fresh and downright girly scent dries down to a sweet, slightly powdery citrus. In the early 80's Bain de Soleil made an orange tanning gelee' that had a distinctly similar smell...gives me a sort of "carefree" feeling! FLB is youthful ~ an enjoyable retreat.

Bois des Îles by Chanel

The sandalwood here renders all others inadequate. Bois de Iles is truly, one of the prettiest olfactory creations from Chanel ~ or from anyone for that matter! Take a look at the listed notes...I dare your nose to single out any of the flowers listed, I honestly don't think you can do it! Why, you ask? Simply because BdI is supremely & seamlessly crafted. It is THAT FINE! Two thumbs up!

Ce Soir Ou Jamais by Annick Goutal

Goutal's fragrances are 'stark' to my senses. I suppose a minimalist would find her creations lovely, but not me. From the get-go Ce Soir Ou Jamais is waxy lemon furniture polish and ROSE! As LONEFISH said, it doesn't evolve - simply fades away. And where is the jasmine??? That's the reason I tried this one in the first place. It's non-existent here. Not offensive, but undoubtedly disappointing.

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Bulgari consistently puts forth relevant and wearable fragrances, and this aquatic charmer is no exception. Historically, Bulgari has also enlisted some of the perfume industry's most gifted "nose's" to create their classy potions, I'd love to know the 'nose' behind this blend! Their website discloses the olfactive notes as:

Top: Mandarin
    Petit Grain
    Heart: Santolina
    Posidonia
    Base: Mineral Amber
    Clary Sage

I believe the sage infuses the subtle spicy quality here. The amber likens the drydown to it's predecessor - Bulgari pour Homme. My overall impression of this marine is sexy and virile! A manly acquatic.

08 August, 2007 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)