Reviews by ubuandibeme

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

There is one single note within this scent that I really like... suede. Yep, that smooth suede is the redemer for me! Softens and blurs some of the potentially sharper notes. Other than that, I'm with ZZTOPP's opinion completely. My overall impression of Euphoria is "Eh, no big deal." The only reason for my neutral rating is that yummy suede.

01st August, 2007

À la Nuit by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Jasmine lovers unite! Jasmine is such a common flower used in perfumery, until sampling A la Nuit I haven't been able to truly appreciate it's ability to stand alone as the starring note. This is one of those perfumes that when you first breathe it in, it's beauty stuns you, rendering your senses helpless with it's captivating presence. The jasmine here is fresh, raw, sweet, clear, delicate and yet firmly present - with excellent sillage and longevity to spare. I'm not one to wax and wane forever about the intricate nuances of each note within a fragrance...so I'll simply say, A la Nuit has made a jasmine lover out of me!

29th July, 2007

Mediterranean by Elizabeth Arden

After spritzing this one onto my wrist, it took about 45 seconds or so before I could actually smell it. The fruited topnotes in this blend are subtle and ever so slightly sweet, mingling effortlessly with the mild, exotic floral center. After the entire fragrance 'emerges', I'm struck by the relaxing breeze like emotion of this perfume. Mediterranean is much better than I ever expected ~ what a welcomed suprise!

28th July, 2007

Santal Blanc by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Reminds me of a somewhat more pungent version of the 1990's fragrance called VENEZIA. Markedly different. This Santal Blanc possesses a definite medicinal tone. If you can push your olfactory past that note, there lies a crisp oriental musky sandalwood. Not what I'd call easy to wear. I don't like this for myself, but SB could be a stunning formal fragrance on the right person!

28th July, 2007

Arabie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Un Lys was the first Lutens scent I sampled, and much to my suprise, Arabie is crafted by the same perfumer! They are really nothing alike yet each is a remarkable creation! This Arabie is heavily wooded with cedar, mandarine bark & sandalwood. Russian leather and dried fruits notes give this fragrance it's warm and 'boozy' character. It is somewhat dense - which does bring about a fruitcake association. Aside from that, I also detect what can only be described as a scalded milk note. I wouldn't say burnt, just scalded, on the brink of burning. It is not offensive, merely present. A unisex blend for sure, with excellent sillage and staying power. Personally, I would consider wearing it for a winter holiday like Thanksgiving or Christmas. Quality perfumery!

27th July, 2007

Pleasures Delight by Estée Lauder

More is not always better. For example: Flowerbomb is a flower/patchouli scent. Angel is a confectionary/patchouli scent. This PD by Lauder is "ANGEL BOMB". A confectionary/flower/fruity/patchouli. Waaaaay toooooo muuuuuuuch of the indulgences our senses typically love. The topnotes are strawberry, cherry and vanilla buttercream iced yellow cake. The middle comes along with roses, jasmine & freesia, ending of course with the ever popular patchouli. Sounds innocent enough, but after wearing a sample of this fragrance, I'm reaching for the soap and water...and an Exedrin.

26th July, 2007

Hummer by Hummer

Bummer ~ for sure! After reading the listed notes and sampling the actual scent this is nothing more than a disappointment. The pyramid sounds so inviting, yet it simply falls flat. I don't enjoy this one at all.

25th July, 2007

Paul Smith Extreme Men by Paul Smith

This is a strange one...the topnotes come off like English Leather. As the drydown progresses, mild incense notes waft in & out, reminiscent of L'Artisan's Passage D'Enfer but not as high quality. The strangeness is that after those two associations have cleared through, this scent is kind of nice. Wait just a minute...another two associations have come up - Fierce by Abercrombie and Dunhill (brown). Yep. That's all folks!

25th July, 2007 (Last Edited: 17th April, 2008)

Romance for Men by Ralph Lauren

The general character of Romance for Men is so similar to the original women's version, yet the listed notes don't reflect any commonalities!? As with the women's Romance, this blend turns acidic. Wish I could pinpoint the culprit but it eludes me. I don't find this one very wearable, yet it seems popular. An enigma.

25th July, 2007

Spring Flower by Creed

Recently I tested Cool Water Woman by Davidoff, ironically, this Creed Spring Flower graces my wrist only a few days later...and I'm not finding much difference between the two! My impression of CCW was "sweet fruity floral top with a woodsy ozone marine drydown". SF is actually even less than that! As VIBERT points out there is not much flower in evidence here...he's absolutely correct, I don't get any flower notes. What I do smell is a fruity opening with a somewhat sickly ozone/aquatic base. Unfortunately quite a disappointment for me.

22nd July, 2007

2000 Fleurs by Creed

Rose, lilac, jasmine, magnolia, violet, iris...it's just too much for my nose! If a barrage of flowers is what I'm looking for, Beautiful (crafted by Sophia Grosjman for Estee Lauder) is far more rounded, balanced and wearable than this Creed bouquet ~ less expensive too! Not that this Creed is 'bad' ~ it's just got too many leading ladies in the mix, which happen to muddle the blend. Each flower is right in your face rather than one or two in the lead with others in the supporting backround. IMO this cheapens 2000 Fleurs into the "drugstore floral" category. There is a prominent green bite throughout, maybe from lily, but it's not enough to clarify the blend of notes. SilkandSteel gives an accurate perspective on this one.

21st July, 2007

Dolly Girl by Anna Sui

Weird bottle. A manequin head...I wonder how it would look with the JPG manequin body?! Anyway, this scent is really cheap & sweet. Overall, I have to agree with STARBRITEGIRL on this one. Not a scent for introverts, or anyone who's reached an age of maturity. If you're playing "dress-up" go for it.

17th July, 2007

Oscar Red Orchid by Oscar de la Renta

Notes of mandarine and assorted berries send this spritely fragrance on it's way, but ultimately it's on a road to nowhere. The clean, sweet, vibrant fruit opening evaporates rapidly. What's left is iris, sandalwood and a touch of vanilla, which seems nice enough on paper, but come off frail, thin and weak. No sillage whatsoever, and as far as longevity goes - maybe 1 or 2 hours tops. Such a shame... the packaging is pretty, but nothing more than an empty promise. I'm not repulsed, but definitely disappointed.

16th July, 2007

3121 by Prince

This fragrance is a miserable mess. Gardenia is the only note I could decipher at the top, for a brief moment, until the ylang ylang kicked in. I have never enjoyed ylang ylang in any scent. I find it stinky, and it stinks to high heaven in this 3121. After a long while, maybe 7-8 hours, the stink-weed smell subsides and I'm left with a stale mustiness which makes me feel...uh...'not so fresh'. Where are the delicate notes of orange flower, muguet, tuberose, jasmine? Where is the earthy patchouli or aromatic cedarwood? I don't know who crafted this disaster, maybe it should have been named "911" or possibly "666". Honestly, I think this is the worst perfume I've ever encountered.

16th July, 2007

Covet Sarah Jessica Parker by Sarah Jessica Parker

Very original! I love the geranium leaves as a tempered green among the bright clean lemon, sweet floral honeysuckle and aromatic lavender. Excellent balance - smooth too. For me Covet is neutral in gender, and fairly easy to wear. Another perfumery success for SJP!

16th July, 2007 (Last Edited: 17th April, 2008)

Cool Water Woman by Davidoff

19 out of 30 (2/3) of Davidoff fragrance is some variation of "COOL WATER". How many more re-runs must we endure? At any rate, this Cool Water Woman is simply a sweet fruity floral top with a woodsy ozone marine drydown. Yep, that pretty much covers it. I'm not sure why this bland (oops, I mean blend) has been so wildly popular with the general public...maybe after I lose my sense of smell I'll figure it out.

14th July, 2007

Ananas Fizz by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This parfum comes off as a combination of a citrus scented furniture dusting product by Pledge and 1970's fizzy candies called Zot's. Unique for a fragrance, but not my personality at all.

Méchant Loup by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Surely one of L'Artisan's finest creations! Excellent composition. Unique & wearable. Manly. Perfect sillage. Steadfast in longevity. Cool name too! I'm in agreement with all the positive comments in this forum. What else can we ask for?

Aramis 900 by Aramis

900 is "perfumed masculinity", a real manly man's scent! I know someone who wears it throughout the midwestern winter months, which I happen to think is perfect, he re-boots after lunchtime and I always try to catch a whiff! Love the smell of a man wearing this classic...thumbs up - with a wink!!!

Mille et Une Roses / 2000 Et Une Rose by Lancôme

Elegant & enchanting, this rose scented elixir is radiant! Damask rose, Turkish rose, Dune rose, Musk rose, Bulgarian rose, Tea rose, Apricot rose all combined and glorified into the most beautiful rose fragrance I've ever encountered. Like soft cool petals quietly in bloom, with a breeze to carry the sweetness gently passed your nose, tempting you to smell the flower just one more time. Addictive. Classy too! The amber/musk/woods base of this creation is intricately woven ~ seamlessly interfaced with the fragrant silken petals of rose. I'm so completely taken with this scent, I will be on a mission to add it to my wardrobe! Perfumer Christine Nagel ~ who already has quite a repetoir of successes under her belt ~ has created a real treasure here. I'm also shocked it's not been mentioned by more reviewers. This is a niche quality parfum, well worth the effort to find! The bottle is fantastic too. IMO it is also worth the hefty price tag! Two thumbs waaaaaaaaaaay up!

11th July, 2007

W by Banana Republic

I'm not in agreement with the previous commentaries. For me, "W" is clean & green! Initially it smells soapy. Not like violet soapy...more like a childs plastic bottle of blowing bubble solution, gently clean. Green is the main character of fragrance here. Very uncomplicated, somewhat sharp, basic & plain. I imagine people who don't typically enjoy personal fragrance may like this for it's simple freshness. My own tastes don't run in this direction, as this scent is neither appealing nor appalling.

11th July, 2007

Stella In Two - Peony by Stella McCartney

The concept here is really neat, and I think it works beautifully! The cedarwood jumps up fast in the begining but quickly and quietly mellows allowing a soft, clean patchouli time to shine. The peony note is present throughout, which is not cloying whatsoever. Quality for sure. I can't wait to try layering this one with the amber...I'm extremely excited to see a hot mainstream consumer market being encouraged to combine fragrance. Stella in Two Peony is an all around winner!

29th June, 2007

Oh My Dog! by Dog Generation

Since I am a perfume lover, of course I purchased this wacky doggie fragrance for my two shelties! I basically like this smell much better than the shampoo their groomer uses. The correct application is important, as the directions say: spray into your hands and run through the dog's coat. When applied in this manner, the pooches aren't bothered by it one bit! Leaves a nice fresh aire about them. Doggie chic!

29th June, 2007

SweetDesire by Realities Cosmetics

Inside this modern fuschia colored glass bottle, artfully decorated with hand-drawn summer flowers, lives a sweet & sassy little scent. The bergamot/blackcurrant opening is fun, juicy, vanillic too. Reminiscent of a Britney Spears fragrance. As the drydown goes, I can't single out any particular flowers in the 'floral' middle notes. The base is what really keeps my attention. The woods combined with honey are a winning blend. I also detect some light musk & a slight bit of patchouli. It's a sexy combination!

25th June, 2007

Polo Sport Woman by Ralph Lauren

I've admired this clean, fresh, almost aquatic fragrance on 2 different co-workers over the years...but on me, it just doesn't work. On my skin, l'eau d'issey is along the same lines ~ only much nicer.

25th June, 2007

Tracy by Ellen Tracy

This fragrance is a real sleeper! I'm very suprised at how pleasing this unique blend smells! Some listed notes are: vanilla, cassis, rose, almond milk, peony, amber, plum, muguet, iris & sandalwood. Although I can pick out each yummy note, the almond milk note is to die for - creamy, like sweet butter. This is a wonderful balance of tart, sweet, powder, spice, wood, green, well...a real symphony. Finally, a fresh floral that is different and wearable! Don't let this gem pass you by. Appropriate for summer day-into-night wear. My only complaint is the bottle, rectangular and chunky, not delicate, detailed or pretty enough to reflect the superb contents!

24th June, 2007

Provocative Woman by Elizabeth Arden

For my nose, a cross between VS Very Sexy and LC Curve Crush...it's kind of fresh/kind of not...IMO Very Sexy and Curve Crush are MUCH nicer and less expensive too!

24th June, 2007

Galanos by Galanos

Good grief! This concoction smells like vitamins and cloying rose. Yeah, very weird. Repulsive. No wonder it has been discontinued - and none too soon! YUK!

23rd June, 2007

Perle Noire by Avon

How I ended up with this sample I'll never know, but it's actually a worth while scent! Right along side Opium, Cinnabar & KL, Perle noire is a nicely spiced floral. Rich essences of clove, carnation, and possibly bulgarian rose produce remarkable sillage, especially suprising for an Avon EDT! Given it's general feel, I would presume it was marketed in the 1970's into the early 80's. A retro treasure for sure!

23rd June, 2007

Jean-Louis Scherrer by Jean-Louis Scherrer

IMO this scent begins with a distinct similarity to Chanel's No.19. The opening greens are 'lush & promising'. While No.19 evolves into an ethereal cool green breeze, J-LS lays heavily - almost resinous, projecting a waxy rose note. The final stage is nothing more than a rank sort of decaying vetiver. The top of this fragrance is the best part, it progressively worsens and dies a slow death. A negative rating from me, although there may be some who enjoy wearing dry decaying vegetal parfums.

21st June, 2007