Reviews by ubuandibeme

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Live by Jennifer Lopez

First spritz of Live gives me a tropical fruity cocktail note - which I attribute to the combo of pineapple & citrus. It almost immediately gives way to the floral heart ~ which comes across soapy (the violet/peony combo). At this point I'm somewhat regretful about spraying my wrist with this fruity/floral. After about 30 minutes or so the vibrancy of Live gently calms and I no longer find it offensive...in fact, I'm almost liking it. The sandalwood rescues this blend...although I won't be wearing it again.

L'Eau d'Ambre by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Quirky me ~ I absolutely adore this amber! Yep, when the mercury hits above 80 degrees farenheit, L'Artisan's L'Eau d'Ambre is just right. Neutral and inoffensive, which some may interpret as boring but not me! A deep resinous amber fragrance can choke off the oxygen for those in close proximity who happen to have an aversion to the stuff. I have several close friends who are extremely sensitive, so this rendition is a perfectly 'friendly' amber! What a wonderful addition to anyone's collection, as it is ideal for layering. I think of it more as "Ambre Mist". For those desiring more oomph - please try L'Artisan's Ambre Extreme. It's composition is almost identical, only intensified. Fantastic!

Tuxedo by Long Lost Perfume

Tvlampboy says it best - this fragrance was truly born too late. Yes, it would have been right at home alongside the likes of Tabac Blond, Bellodgia, etc. I feel lucky to have fallen upon this old RL sample vial...leather sweetened with the softness of silken rose petals, spiced and grounded by wood. Slightly resinous, but so polite! What a shame it's not part of the RL brand anylonger.

KL by Lagerfeld

Technically, KL would be Opium's younger sister ~ as Opium's birthdate is 1977. Yet, KL is genetically so similar, it seems she and O could be fraternal twins! First & foremost, both scents are absolutely stunning! With that out of the way, here are some notes for KL:

orange spices, cinnamon
    orchid
    amber, vanilla, clove

No wonder everyone says "YUM" to this one!

Some notes for Opium:

rose, carnation, pepper, lily of the valley, sandalwood, clove

By olfactory comparison, KL's general impression is more creamy. Actually lots of amber going on here ~ so don't let the clove distract you! Also, the vanilla is everpresent ~ making this fabulous for daytime wear. Opium's presentation is more detailed, with a noteable floral tone; deep, rich & warm just perfect for evening. Heady too, definitely dressed-up! While KL hasn't received the same glory & attention Opium has, she is a stunning beauty for those who take the time to find her!

Gianfranco Ferré by Gianfranco Ferré

A suprisingly beautiful floral! My initial expectation was an 'over the top' blend ~ as so many frags from the 80's were. But not here! The orange blossom and tuberose are primary, while the whites and greens support them. Especially nice is the addition of moss in the base, the perfect touch to dry and ground all those flowers! I would also describe GF as timeless...just simply beautiful!

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

Only Caron could combine jasmine, rose & carnation in a men's fragrance with such supreme success! Previous reviews by foetidus, robyogi, zztopp and vibert say it all...a true classic!

Detchéma by Révillon

Aldehydic notes open this dusty/powdery jasmine centered floral. The era of this creation is undoubtedly recognizable! My nose senses a touch of violet and rose which accompany the jasmine as the drydown evenly progresses into a woodsy, sweet base. Testing this eau de parfum is like experiencing time-travel. If June & Ward or Rob & Laura were dining out at a 'supper club', I would expect the ladies to wear a strand of pearls, crimson lipstick & this fragrance! Traditionally feminine, sweet, and definitely retro ala 1950's/60's!

Ivoire (original) by Pierre Balmain

Immediately a feminine image is created when I sniff this beautiful parfum! The overall quality is reminiscent of a Caron ~ top notch all the way! I love the dry galbanum, carnation and oakmoss in this chypre. Also, the blending of florals here is exquisite. I must agree with some of my favorite reviewers in this forum and dedicate two thumbs up to this excellent fragrance!

Eau Vitaminée by Biotherm

I snagged a bottle of this invigorating skin quencher at Marshall's - on sale for $5.00! It's really more like a body tonic than a fragrance, but great for the price - heck, I've paid more than $5.00 for a miniscule sample! Anyway, it's a fresh burst of citrus, like sweet orange and pink grapefruit. This juice drenches the skin, staying wet for awhile before it begins to evaporate. The perfect treat for your body after a day in the scorching summer sun. After it dries, only a faint trace of scent remains. There is a slight (and I do mean slight) woodsy note in the base. You can easily layer your personal fragrance with Eau Vitaminee. The price certainly shouldn't stop anyone - so don't hesitate, give this one a try!

06 June, 2007

Forbidden Fruit by Desperate Housewives

I was all set to trash this television show fragrance, but after pressing the pump on the sample bottle, this juice hit my wrist and I was a changed woman! Not that Forbidden Fruit is any earth shattering concoction, but it is quite suprising. Apple is definitely part of this blend, pomegranate too, as well as a variety of florals...possibly gardenia, hyacinth, wisteria and jasmine for good measure! It is fresh and flirty. Don't hesitate to try it, and enjoy this hidden little secret for yourself!

05 June, 2007 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

With Love... Hilary Duff by Hilary Duff

Don't really know what made me try this one...but it's actually nice. This composition reminds me of In Control Curious (Britney Spears). After sampling With Love, I was suprised to find amber in the base notes. It really dries down to smell more like Bath & Body Works Warm Vanilla Sugar than any amber I'm familiar with. All in all it's a warm, user friendly fragrance in a pretty package! Decent price too. With Love is receiving a thumbs up ~ for the younger ladies!

05 June, 2007

Miss Boucheron by Boucheron

Youthful & bright, Miss Boucheron is a contemporary fragrance! Some listed notes are bergamot, pomegranate, pink pepper, cyclamen, violet, rose, white suede, cedar and musk. At first sniff I expect to discover tea notes in this blend, but there are none. Instead, this combination of notes creates a "tannic" sort of overtone - if that makes any sense. MB also bears a striking similarity to the new Missoni fragrance, only better! I'm quite fond of perfumers using violet notes in their newer offerings, as well as rose ~ which in this particular formulation comes off extremely sheer. Wearable. Perfumers Anne Flipo and Dominiqe Ropion have successfully collaborated to present us with a real winner!

04 June, 2007

Love at First Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

Personal chemistry is really key with this Love at First Glow. For me, I love it on paper, but on my skin it doesn't work at all. The florals come off very sharp and soapy, not clean and fresh, just sudsy ~ like I need to rinse! I'm giving a neutral as I believe others will find this scent very refreshing and wearable.

02 June, 2007 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Il Bacio by Borghese

Sadly, I have a sister-in-law who is a master at killing a fragrance. She bathed in this one for a year or so...now I cannot even stand a single whiff. Somehow, it clogs my throat and my senses sieze up on me. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of moderation - especially with this Il Bacio!

02 June, 2007

L'Eau d'Ambre Extrême / Ambre Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This Amber is perfect! I respect Chergui, Shalimar, Sweet Oriental Dream, Voile de Amber, and Ambre Precioux. They are each high quality compositions, but for me - this L'artisan Ambre Extreme is beyond exquisite! The powdery sweetness is finely tuned and plays off my skin like a symphony. It is neither too heavy nor too light. As for sillage & longevity I find AE to be, well, just right. You can bet I'm anxious to add this gem to my collection!

01st June, 2007

Navegar by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Cool, like seaspray! Notes of ginger, rum and lime open this refresher. Almost immediately, heart notes of incense and star anise burst forth. I personally LOVE anise notes in perfumes and this one reminds me of Guerlain's Aqua Allegoria Anisia Bella, only Navegar's anise is a bit more tempered. Quietly, the incense/spice mellow. Cedarwood and Juniper anchor Navegar's cool freshness. For me, the cedarwood does'nt come off warm at all, in fact, it smells as if a saw has just ripped through a cedar timber - kind of moist. It's the incense that carries a certain dry aspect. What a fabulous balancing act! My only complaint - yep, you guessed it - poor to moderate longevity/sillage. It's not the most fleeting L'artisan I've come across, but it is extremely light. Overall, I have to give this treasure a thumbs up!

01st June, 2007

Set Sail St. Barts for Men by Tommy Bahama

For some crazy reason, I actually like this scent. Not on a regular basis mind you, but as a fun alternative to serious fragrance. First spritz of this elixir smells exactly like a margarita, which is my favorite summertime cocktail. What really catches me off guard is the saltiness! Yeah, you can actually smell the salt! So creative & playful ~ has a more 'classy' drydown than the Demeter line of fragrance. The base is musky. I've also sampled the women's counterpart(not yet listed in the Basenote's directory) and it mirrors this male version in a simple, softer manner. Both bottles are attractive as well. I probably won't be investing in the full size, I'm having enough fun with my samples.

Island Voyage by Nautica

Notes of Island Voyage:

Top: Ocean Marine, Lemon, Black Pepper, bergamot, honeydew melon.

Middle: Lavender, Wild Jasmine, Purple Iris.

Bottom: Cedarwood, Musk, Sandalwood.

I tested this simultaneously with Voyage, which I prefer. IMO this 'Island' version would have been better off without the ocean marine & wild jasmine notes. The black pepper, lemon and honeydew combination is an interesting & unique blend. As for the remainder, I think the original is better constructed and much more wearable!

Armani Attitude by Giorgio Armani

Hey guys, from these reviews I gather you're not too excited about this Armani Attitude but guess what? The girls love it! Yep. It's a fabulous frag for the heat of summer...fresh, light, sweet and sexy!!! O.K. ~ maybe it is a re-run of a previous scent, but we really don't care, we just know it's yummy! (Yummy is good BTW.) Besides, the bottle is styled like the old Zippo cigarette lighters, kind of "James Dean-ish". What woman doesn't like a little bad boy in her man?

RSVP by Kenneth Cole

Jon BonJovi representing this product is the very best part of RSVP! The fragrance itself is very middle of the road. The opening is grapefruit which fades almost instantly. I don't really detect the 'wet grasses' note or the orchid or iris for that matter. There is lavender - mild and fresh. Dries down to a cedarwood/amber/musk base which is slightly sweet and very anemic. I wish it had more "oomph", sadly it just fades away...

Voyage by Nautica

Found some listed notes on this one:

Cut Green Leaf, Green Apple, Mimosa, &
    "Sailcloth Accord", Moss, Cedarwood, Musk & Amber.

Voyage is fresh and summery. I like that for a warm weather scent it is not aquatic/marine, and there is no citrus involved. I'm not sure what "sailcloth accord" smells like, possibly cotton-ish. I do like this blend very much! Voyage is an interesting heat of the summer refresher.

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Honestly, I have a reed diffuser from Pier One Imports in an aqua scent that smells exactly like this Polo Blue. I like it as a bathroom air freshener, but not on my man!

Voile D'Ambre by Yves Rocher

Voile D'Ambre reminds me of the delicate amber notes in Chantilly! I'd have to say this one's not especially warm, it's more on the fresh side. Not a bit cloying or heavy. Timeless classic, feminine, soft and sexy. Wears close to the body, an excellent fragrance choice for warm weather. If you typically don't enjoy resinous amber scents, this one might work for you. Worth a try, for sure!

24 May, 2007

Orange Blossom by Jo Malone

Purists will adore this 'fresh from mother nature' take on Orange Blossom. As for me, I prefer a refined orange blossom note...I find raw essences a bit harsh. Jo Malone's OB also boasts a noticeable amount of jasmine, which is a popular fragrance note although not a personal fave. I'm giving a thumbs up on this one because it has a "stand out" sort of quality - but I won't be wearing it.

24 May, 2007

Missoni (new) by Missoni

Listed notes for Missoni include: Bergamot, Magnolia. Loquat, Chocolate, Amber, Peony, Mandarin, Bitter Orange, Persimmon AND Radiant Yellow Accord & Brown & Pink! WOW, what a list! This is the first time I've seen colors singled out as fragrance notes. Bizarre. My first impression of this scent is that I've smelled nothing else quite like it...which is an accomplishment in itself as I've sampled many fragrances. The best general description I can give is that it's MODERN and SUNNY. Haven't really decided if I like to wear it or not, but Missoni has captured my attention. The bottle is very attractive & the price is high too. $110. for 3.4 oz. edp spray or $80. for 1.7 oz. edp spray at Nordstrom. For this kind of money I'll have to take a longer test run. For now, I'm giving this one a "thumbs up" - but just barely.

20th May, 2007

Coach The Fragrance by Coach

Taken directly from the Coach website:

"We developed a fragrance that is fresh, chic, sophisticated...and perfect for women of all ages."
    - Reed Krakoff

I'm here to tell you; Coach delivers! This new mainstream market scent is a winner in every way. The tart green mandarine and giant water lily are perfectly paired with the sweetness of guava, honey and violet petals creating an equal tension between tangy and sweet. Classic feminine floral notes of orange flower and jasmine (and the violet petals too) make this lively blend strictly for the girls! You'd be hard pressed to find a man wearing this juice - sorry guys. It's VERY GIRLY! The sillage is springtime fresh and long lasting. True to Coach's style, this fragrance is boldly detailed, modern and attention getting. The drydown is slow. At the end of the day you will be left with the subtle warm sweetness of sandalwood, amberwood & the slightest vanilla. As if this fantastic perfume's not enough, Coach has given us an added bonus: a gorgeous bottle! Complete with polished nickel hang tag & traditional Coach logo print. AND, you can actually purchase this treasure at a reasonable price. Obviously not every perfume is for everyone, but I think Coach has a real crowd pleaser here! I love it!

17 May, 2007

Prada Intense by Prada

The fragrance notes for Prada & Prada Intense are the same, however, the end result is quite different! This intense version is noticably sweeter - fruitier. Kind of raspberry/plum-ish, if that makes sense. To me, the earthiness of the patchouli is not quite as prominent here as in the original. In comparison, PI loses some crispness and balance. I much prefer Prada in it's first form, which is superior in blend.

17 May, 2007

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

This opulent oriental is absolutely gorgeous so pull out all the stops guys & give a good spritz; any man wearing this frag is bound to receive much female attention! M7 oozes of wealth and good taste. Flat out sexy ~ I crave this scent!

14 May, 2007

Betsey Johnson Parfum by Betsey Johnson

My daughter's a huge fan of Betsey Johnson fashion. Her line has some of the most fun and interesting accessories and accent pieces, and thee cutest swimwear. However, this fragrance isn't quite as exciting. The bottle has Betsey's signature as far as the color and boldness of style BUT IT'S PLASTIC! Tacky. Cheap. The juice inside is average. A sugary fruity floral that dries down to an ambery/musk - at least there's no patchouli thrown in, which saves this blend from becoming just another fruity/patchouli in the current melting pot of scents marketed toward young ladies today. I expected better, and I sincerely hope Betsey will learn from this and give us something worth while in the future.

13 May, 2007

Amber & Lavender by Jo Malone

INDIE_GUY has pinned this one perfectly! May I also add this herbaceous combination is somewhat reminiscent of L'Artisan's Passage de Enfer...as the lavender here is more to the dry side rather than fresh; creating an incense character. Very masculine IMO.

11th May, 2007