Reviews by ubuandibeme

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Body by Victoria by Victoria's Secret

CALCHIC's got this one completely covered! Of all the VS fragrances, this one stands above the crowd! It's quite fresh & fun loving. Can be worn for most any occasion. Thumbs up for sure.

10th May, 2007

Candie's by Candie's

I've seen this mainstream brand hanging around store shelves for quite some time now. Today, I decided to spritz some on for a test run. It's certainly not a "wow" type scent, but since my expectations were at about zero, I was pleasantly suprised. The opening is citrus - grapefruit actually - which quickly dries down to a soft and airy spring peony. Considering the cheap price I'm a little bit impressed.

07 May, 2007

Trésor Eau De Printemps by Lancôme

CASTORPOLLUX gives an accurate assesment of this one...although I'm a fan of the Tresor original, I like this sheer version too. Printemps begins with a berry-sweet opening that literally makes my mouth water. The fruitiness lasts throughout the entire evolution of this scent, which I find remarkable. Lily of the valley ads just a touch of powdery green to this blend, and the base is warm yet fresh. Nicely constructed & extremely wearable ~ I might just purchase this one for myself!

02 May, 2007

Lovely Prism by Givenchy

I've read the nose behind this creation is Marc Buxton. This limited edition blend of citrus, florals and woods is not particularly innovative however it is a departure from this perfumer's mainly uni-sex/male fragrances. (He has produced several Comme de Garcons scents.) All in all it is a not too sweet fruity floral. The listed notes I found are: green apple, cassis, clementine, peony, magnolia, apple blossom, hawthorne, sandalwood and iris. IMO the flower blend here comes across like osmanthus, and I'm unable to pick out the iris. Mild and innoffensive, this is one scent to be enjoyed for a season. Personally, a little boring for my taste.

30th April, 2007

Jones New York by Jones New York

The only notes I get are lily of the valley (muguet) mixed with jasmine on a powdery base ~ which is presumably sandalwood. The green here is so dominant, the sweeter fruit notes never get noticed. A poor combination IMO.

27 April, 2007

Chrome by Azzaro

Sharp, clean and crisp ~ like a freshly laundered and pressed white cotton shirt. Appropriate for most any occasion. Comes across as manly. 'Put together' without being overly primped. Inviting and friendly, I do find it quite memorable.

27 April, 2007

Sensual Amber by Bath and Body Works

My daughter received this as a gift from a boyfriend...it's a 'user friendly' type amber concoction. Slightly sensual. Mostly warm and powdery/woodsy IMO. The bottle is especially pretty.

White Cherry Blossom by Bath and Body Works

White Cherry Blossom is the perfect example of how my Bath & Body Works fragrance experience goes:

First I take a whiff of the sample bottle. If I am not totally repulsed I will apply fragrance (usually lotion or spray) to my wrist or hands. Usually, I am fond of the topnotes and proceed to purchase ~ which is especially easy because the cost is so very reasonable. By the time I arrive home, the scent has morphed into something completely unlike it's original form and the unused product gets shoved to the back of my bathroom cabinet. There it sits happily ever after.

In it's youth, White Cherry Blossom is bright, crisp and fresh. Clean and springlike too. As it ages, however, it joins many of it's distant cousins in my bathroom mausoleum of B&BW rejects...amen.

Beautiful by Estée Lauder

Flowers forward ~ full throttle! Beautiful is an intense melange of classic floral notes, artfully arranged by Sophia Grojsman. (It's a good thing Lauder enlisted her expertise, if this were attempted by anyone other than; the results could have proven disasterous!) Ironically, what makes this formula a success is also what turns potential wearers away. It is a BLEND. Solitary notes and distinct evolution are not part of Beautiful's personality. It is a budding garden delight. A floral rush, powerful & heady. Beautiful dares your nose to name each note, which is nearly impossible to achieve. This of course may lead to the problem of over-application. Remember: More is not always better! Beautiful is only cloying when over applied...so quit trying to smell each individual flower in this mix and appreciate the complete intricate bouquet. It IS beautiful!

Momoberry by Sanrio [Hello Kitty]

Sweet & adorable, with the vanilla base front and center. Givenchy did a great job creating this yummy scent for the Sanrio market. Young girls who enjoy Hello Kitty paraphenalia would likely gobble up this treat! This is also what I'd like to refer to as an "introduction" for upcoming basenotes junkies!

Moonlight Path by Bath and Body Works

Heaven Sent is what this Moonlight Path reminds me of...One of the nicer offerings from this mass market fragrance arena. As with all B&BW products, I enjoy the shower gels, lotions, soaps etc. but I rarely enjoy their "spray on" scents. Moonlight Path is well blended with a lovely assortment of classic notes. After being discontinued for quite some time, this one managed to be re-introduced to their current line - obviously there are many fans.

Warm Vanilla Sugar by Bath and Body Works

Bath & Body Works makes another vanilla that I prefer - Fresh Vanilla. It comes across more like vanilla extract. This particular version is much sweeter. If I use any of these vanillas, it is strictly for the shower gel to start a vanilla base for my chosen scent of the day. My young son loves this one just like it is ~ sugary sweet!

24 April, 2007 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Flowerbomb Extrême by Viktor & Rolf

I love Flowerbomb and find this extreme version true to the original fragrance notes - merely intensified. Although the original is perfect for me - for anyone experiencing a longevity issue; this rendition should clear that up for you!

Fleur de Vanille by Fragonard

Nice twist on an old favorite - vanilla.
    As with Guerlain, Caron, L'Artisan ~ Fragonard has a wonderfully rich and high quality signature accord to their scents. This rendition of vanilla is absolutely unisex. I have the EDT and it is more than adequate for sillage and longevity. I find it is complimentary to most of my husband's frags, so I never have to worry about choosing a non-conflicting scent when we go out.

21st April, 2007

Wet Garden by Demeter Fragrance Library

What fun! When I'm getting too serious about fragrance, Demeter scents make me smile! This "wet garden" is great ~ smells exactly like a wet garden and dries down to a likeable soft powder. Only lasts about 1-2 hours so don't be shy, spritz away!

19 April, 2007

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

Before sampling the newest child of fragrance industry icon - Tom Ford - I read all the reviews, checked out the listed notes, and then sampled away! At first I was on the look out for a reason to hate this scent because there was so much seemingly undue hype around T.F. After spritzing this one on though, I must concede and concur ~ Mr. Ford has earned his accolades! Black Orchid is a well thought out, finely crafted perfume. At the top: Black Truffle, Ylang Ylang, Bergamot & Black Currant. I love this initial blend. The Florals, Fruits & Lotus Wood in the middle didn't particularly thrill me. In fact, I became slightly annoyed by a little tickle in the back of my throat while those middle notes hung around. After that, my most favorite part of Black Orchid...the drydown to the basenotes! Noir Gourmand, Patchouli, Incense and Vetiver! Sexy! For me, this is not a dark or heavy fragrance. I find it fresh, yet deep & mysterious. Actually, it is somewhat airy until the top & middle notes settle down. Black Orchid is unique and satisfying, I will eagerly anticipate future releases by Tom Ford; right along with the rest of you!

Having tried the better portion of his fragrance range, I can confidently say that Black Orchid is my favorite Tom Ford creation - hands down!

18 April, 2007 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

Some reviewers have expressed a 'masculine' perception of this elixir. I don't agree with that opinion. For me, Eau d'Orange Verte possesses a similar drydown to Christian Dior's Diorella. The patchouli and oakmoss create a dry warmth that brings topnotes of citrus into balance. It also wears close to the body, which is fantastic for a physically active day, or the scorching heat of summer. True, it's not a girly-girlish blend, but I find it can be totally appropriate for a woman. While many other citrus topped scents evolve into a woodsy base, refreshingly this Hermes strays from the pack. Can be worn for any occasion, and as with all Hermes offerings, this fragrance is 100% classy too!

17 April, 2007

Eternity Purple Orchid by Calvin Klein

I'll keep it unanimous ~ thumbs down all around. This scent emits synthetic chemical notes that smell bad. There is no other way to put it.

16 April, 2007

Eau Parfumée au Thé Blanc by Bulgari

While spring cleaning I found an unused sample of Eau The' Blanc in my drawer. I love Bulgari fragrances and excitedly sampled this one. It is very plain, in fact, generic "white tea". It also smells like the signature 'white tea' fragrance of the Westin hotels. The notes are subtle and wear close to the body. This composition emits an aire of quality and class. It is completely suitable for a man or woman, and is one of those "all purpose" frags. Seriously, you could wear it ANYWHERE you go and be perfectly in place! A staple in any fragrance wardrobe.

Les Météorites by Guerlain

Violets, soapy & sweet! Les Meteorites is one fragrance that should have never been discontinued. Smells like I just stepped out of a luxurious bubble bath. Timeless, ageless, feminine, demure yet confident. Although it's been discontinued, you can still find some bottles here and there at a reasonable price.

Aimez-Moi by Caron

Stimulating topnotes and a continuously evolving drydown, magnificent! This floriental is a gourmand in cognito! My mouth literally waters when enjoying Aimez-Moi. VINTAGEVOGUE and GODDESS_DREAMS have so eloquently described this lucious creation, I can only add that it is truly one of a kind.

13 April, 2007

Parfum Sacré by Caron

15 reviews so far and ALL are thumbs-up! With good reason, Caron's Parfum Sacre' is absolutely gorgeous. I'm in complete agreement with every single commentary already posted. Parfum Sacre is the original incense rose and I can only encourage any perfume lover to sample this treasure, Parfum Sacre' will not disappoint!

100% Love by S-Perfume

AYALA has 'deconstructed' this scent so beautifully, I wish I had her nose! For me, 100% Love is not very wearable. On my skin it smells unfinished, almost watered down. The base is lacking, and the musk leaves me smelling not so fresh. As always, try before you buy.

12 April, 2007

Precious Heart by Guerlain

Osmanthus is the star fragrance note here in Precious Heart. It is a delicate golden flower native to China, and posseses a fruity-apricot floral aroma. Osmanthus dominantes this composition. I have read Precious Heart also contains light cardamom and cedar. I never get the cardamom. The cedar is barely there after a long drydown. This mix has an overall tinge of powdery green, which brings a feeling of spring ~ youthfulness ~ life. IMO this limited edition fragrance would be best suited to a younger wearer...maybe someone just discovering the fabulous house of Guerlain!

12 April, 2007 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Nautica Woman by Nautica

Listed notes for Nautica Woman include:

Grapefruit, Mandarin, Rose, Amber, Musk, Sandalwood.

I cannot specifically identify any of the above notes in this mix! What I do smell is a peppery floral top (aka cheap rose note)which quickly dries down to sweet baby powder. There is a slight marine note throughout. The individual notes of this blend do not live well together. I attribute this to the use of lesser quality ingredients. I can't say it's offensive, but I can't say I'd like to wear it either. Meh.

My Ocean for Her by Club Med

Obviously a marine based scent, with juniper berries and mint. I can't say it's a great blend, but it's O.K. My Ocean reminds me of a guys fragrance from Hollister called 'Drift'. I don't think they carry it anymore, it's been 3 or 4 years since I've smelled it. From memory though, Drift had a woodsy drydown which was so much more pleasing than the herbs and berries of My Ocean. MO seems youthful and bright. It might be just right for a day of watersports...

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

This is not the type of perfume one would randomly choose without a plan. I find it overtly sensual and if I spritz this one on, it would be worn with a definite purpose! Therefore, the name Agent Provocateur is completely appropriate. The juice itself is deep and rich with a knowingly naughty undercurrent. Can become cloying if overused, so go easy on that trigger.

Rock 'n Rose by Valentino

With many fragrances, the initial blast of an unpleasant top note is something I've learned to live with. Rock n Rose however is gorgeous right from the start! First spritz is sweet yet tempered fruit. The bergamot and slight green balance the blackcurrant perfectly. Almost immediately the center florals gently make their presence known. While I'm not one to favor most rose notes, this blend is very wearable for me. Drydown is powdery, maybe a touch too much orris for my taste, but lovely just the same. The bottle is nothing to write home about, it was mostly the name that got me to try this one. Don't miss out on this hidden gem, give yourself a spritz.

09 April, 2007

Sunset Heat by Escada

This smells like a tropical fruit cocktail ~ including mango & assorted melons. No kidding, I brought my freshly spritzed wrist up to my nose and practically took a sip! It's juicy sweet, but weird for a fragrance. Maybe it would be nice for a week in the tropics, but other than that I'd have a hard time wearing it.

09 April, 2007

273 Rodeo Drive by Fred Hayman

Heady, yes! Sweet, yes! Huge white flowers, yes! Big 80's floral with the volume cranked up all the way. If White Shoulders made an extreme version ~ this would be it! Suprisingly enjoyable and value priced too.

06 April, 2007 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)