Reviews by ubuandibeme

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Hypnôse Homme by Lancôme

Lavender is the sustaining note throughout this fragrance. It is so pervasive I really don't get to enjoy the unique opening notes listed above. Drydown gives the amber/patchouli/musk base a chance to shine. Overall, a slight disappointment remains for not being able to experience those interesting top notes. Maybe lavender is the wrong choice for the heart of this scent...

05 April, 2007

Casmir by Chopard

I first tested Casmir awhile back, and I believe the bottle was "aged", and I didn't like it too well. After re-testing, I now own some of this warm & comforting scent! The 2 notes that stand forward are vanilla and sandalwood, coming off very unisex. The amber/vanilla/sandalwood/musk/patchouli base is quite rich. While inhaling the aroma of this well crafted blend, a fleeting memory of Coty's Emeraude tinged my thoughts. It's not exactly the same drydown, but something in it is very similar. Also coming to mind is NR for women. Considering the cheap price, you really can't go wrong if you like vanilla & sandalwood! Thumbs up for sure!

04 April, 2007 (Last Edited: 27 June, 2008)

Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Lichee and cardamom beautifully open this breathtaking blend. Attention getting. Followed by peony, iris, tea leaves and incense. The top notes are fresh and cool. Interesting. The dry down brings a little warmth. It is with much pleasure I tell you the incense note is restrained, but lends an almost "Caron" classic urn undercurrent. The iris turns a little musty/dusty on my skin after about 20 minutes. For me, the beginning of Dzongkha is the best part. After that, I can walk away from it with no regret.

02 April, 2007

Sweet Oriental Dream by Montale

Powdery & sweet. I love gourmands, but this one doesn't stun me. For my taste, I wish this elixir would surrender to either the powder or the sweet; I really can't handle the overwhelming intensity of both together! Drydown brings welcomed relief from the extreme concentration of notes, and is quite beautiful. This one must be used sparingly. IMO Sweet Oriental Dream is decidedly feminine. Quality too.

01st April, 2007

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Growing up Catholic, the smell of frankincense & myyrh always struck me as 'stinky'. It still does. Yet, this Passage d'Enfer - stinky notes and all - amazes my senses! Rach2jlc mentions spicy sausage which I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH! Panfried Italian sweet sausage bursting with fennel seeds! And get this - beneath those heavily incensed notes there is a light sweetness - like grandmother's prayers floating directly up to heaven on angels wings. How ironic, considering the name. Remarkable, this scent. For creating such vivid imagery I must give Pd'E thumbs up. How few fragrances have this ability.

01st April, 2007 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Chypre Rouge by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Flashback! To me this chypre smells very much like Halston from 1975. It is woodsy, and the pine does add bite to the warmth & the honey is sweet...but at the end of the day it smells like a hamster cage. Yep, those stinky wood shavings. I'm giving this a neutral rating, as I have enjoyed this scent on paper ~ just not on my own skin.

Osmanthus by The Different Company

Well put together; this one is different. Notes include: osmanthus, leaf green, bergamot, orange, tangerine, rose, rose bay, castoreum, hay and musk. The opening is sour and unpleasant to me. I don't get a true citrus at all. As this juice dries down, it's magic! The rose notes are soft and fresh. Not cloying whatsoever. I think the 'hay' gives a spring like breeziness to this mix. If it weren't for the disagreeable topnotes I'd probably dish out the dollars for this fragrance. I'm giving it a thumbs up because the drydown is truly magnificent!

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Peanutbutter? Nope, I didn't get that accord - thankfully! - but I did get sandalwood. In fact; that was it. Smelled like Caswell & Massey's Sandalwood. Nothing else. My sample came directly from the N.Y. L'Artisan boutique so I trust it. Nothing but sandalwood though.

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Oriental for sure, and I love orientals! Chergui is powdery soft, richly deep and slightly sweet. It reminds me of 2 scents from the 80's ~ Ombre Rose and Lutece. It strikes me as a "comfort scent". Brings about a feeling of coziness. Special!

29 March, 2007

Gold by Donna Karan

Lilies open this feminine scent in a grand way! Along with those giant white blooms come jasmine and amber, which bring about a common/mainstream 21st. century feel to this mixture. A bit of patchouli in the base is restrained. (I appreciate that!) Classy & playful. All in all a wonderful springtime fragrance for any lady to enjoy! In my opinion, this is the golden essence of women that Chanel's Chance tried to capture but failed. Undoubtedly worth a try.

22 March, 2007

Mandarine Tout Simplement, by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Juicy and tangy/sour opening ~ in a very good way! I cannot recall a single fragrance that has actually smelled tangy and sour; like a real citrus fruit. AMAZING! The initial burst of topnote lasts for mere seconds, then a more rich orange note infuses with ginger. I haven't read this anywhere but I distinctly detect cardamom. For my entire life mom baked scandanavian type breads using this spice and I tell you: that cardamom note exists here in this blend! Mandarine Tout Simplement is probably one of the most original fragrances I've ever encountered. I adore it. * as an update ~ I did purchase this scent, but found it very difficult to wear...I never felt that it was suited to me or appropriate for any occassions in my life...I'm still enamoured by this one, but sadly, have no desire to put it on.

21st March, 2007 (Last Edited: 04 April, 2008)

Un Zeste D'Eté by L'Artisan Parfumeur

At the risk of being repititious ~ This is a bright and cheerful fragrance! Kind of like Anick Goutal's Eau d'Hadrien on puppy-uppers! It's truly beautiful.

21st March, 2007

L'Eau de L'Artisan by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This one receives a thumbs up because it's a great scent - very unisex. However, for the money I would try Clarins Eau Dynamisante treatment fragrance. It's very similar & MUCH more affordable!

21st March, 2007

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Anisia Bella Aqua Allegoria by Guerlain is IMO the female counterpart to Fou d' Absinthe. I am very fond of anise notes found in many fragrances today, and this L'Artisan creation is no exception. It is positively masculine, clean, fresh, and interesting. Sure wish it lasted longer though.

Tubéreuse by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Delicate ~ drying down to buttery cream ~ Tubereuse is very interesting. Gardenia here for sure. It has a raw authenticity to it. Awhile back I was given a gardenia plant as a gift, and (amazingly) I was able to keep it alive long enough to enjoy the fragrant sweet flower that bloomed! This L'Artisan offering completely reminds me of that exact smell! Bravo!
    * As a side note: as much as I applaud this creation, It's not wearable for me. Most certainly worth trying though.

Mûre et Musc by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I've just tried to sample the EDT version of this Mure et Musc but I honestly cannot smell it! I've used 1/2 the sample vial yet this juice instantly evaporates from my skin. Don't know what else to say. It is completely undetectable.

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Holy mackerel! As soon as I tried it on myself, I knew I had to smell it on my husband. I nearly assaulted him with this fragrance. I grabbed his wrist saying, "Put this on, right now, you HAVE to try it", he had no choice. Then, the seemingly impossible happened. He declared T42 an amazing scent. It is smokey. So much so that when the real tea topnotes dry down it seems almost tobaccoish. Doesn't come accross sweet, but there is a mildly sweet note (honey probably) which brings balance to this mix. I find it intoxicating. My favorite L'Artisan thus far. As for the price, of course I wish it was not so high. But I'm willing to part with big dollars for this frag!

Premier Figuier by L'Artisan Parfumeur

First whiff to the last lingering note, this fig fine! So many reviewers have described this fragrance perfectly. For me, an underlying musty green adds the raw & natural vibe. The drydown is sweet powdery sandalwood which the fig note accompanies the entire way through. It is an awesome scent. I think the blending of notes here is brilliant. In fact, it's very fine!

20th March, 2007 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Dior Addict Eau Fraîche by Christian Dior

Why oh why did I ever stray from my beloved original? This Eau Fraiche version is an abomination of Christian Dior's Addict masterpiece! Throwing in some random gardenia note and cutting away the vanilla blows the whole balance and leaves me running to the nearest sink to scrub this mess away. It actually stinks.

15 March, 2007

Parfum d'Habit by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

This is probably the most manly fragrance I've ever smelled. And actually ~ I really like the topnotes! Yep, they're good for me, somewhat dry; aromatic. The drydown comes as a bit of a suprise. I think it's the unexpected sweetness in the sandalwood. Very original and very sexy too. All the fragrances from MPG have excellent sillage & remarkable longevity. Highly impressive!

12 March, 2007

Ambre Précieux by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Elegant, golden, creamy. This is how I can best describe this precious elixir from MPG! One of my favorite offerings by this fragrance house. With my chemistry, it is what I always hoped Guerlain's Shalimar could be! Lovely.

11th March, 2007 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Centaure by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I've never worked with powdered gelatin like rach2jlc but after smelling this fragrance and reading his commentary I can only agree! This is what I classify as a 'sickening' scent. It gets into my mouth and I woefully taste this wretched concoction for hours...it's awful...blech!

Boss Woman by Hugo Boss

Smells like a cheap rip off version of Tommy Girl.

Woodhue by Fragrances of France

I find Christian Dior's DOLCE VITA very similar and much easier to find. Citrus sweet with a warm woodsy drydown. Nice!

Iris Bleu Gris by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Could have fooled me...I didn't realize this scent was specified as 'masculine' until now! Comes off a little sweet, I interpret it to be more unisex. ZZTOP's commentary is oh so true ~ and I also detect a leather like note. Possibly the dry moss lending a smokey edge to the base. The top notes are vibrant and herbaceaous, lingering only long enough to direct your attention to the smooth drydown. A quite nicely done fragrance, I might actually wear it for myself!

08 March, 2007

Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne by Caron

Royal Baine de Caron in the year 2007 doesn't strike me as being unisex whatsoever...but...when I reflect upon the year & inspiration of it's creation this fragrance begins to make sense! In 1941 most people were not bathing on a daily basis. More like once a week. Imagine trying to impart a sweet and clean aroma intended to last a full 7 days - especially on a man's body!? Soooooooo, in today's world of daily scrubbing we must revise our application of this wondrous elixir. Being a lover of bath/body products ~ this one's a cinch for me. RBdC is best enjoyed (IMO) by adding a few drops to the bath water. Soaking in scented water leaves a light and lush wash of fragrance upon the skin, creating a great base for your personal choice of scent for the day. In the heat of summer, sometimes perfumed water is enough adornment for the body! When used in this manner, I find RBdC to be joyful, clean and fresh ~ a wonderful way to start (or finish) any day!

07 March, 2007

Grain de Plaisir by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

O.K. This scent is simply bizarre! The lemony citrus opening is great, lasts about 15-20 minutes and then...it's no good. I mean; it just plain stinks. I can't imagine what possesed anyone to create this mess...yet here it lays upon my wrist! I must know, is there anybody who actually wears this stuff? Please let the answer be NO!

06 March, 2007

Rush by Gucci

RUSH is appropriately named! Purplebird7's commentary is excellent - especially regarding the basenotes of this blend. This potion is juicy sweet upon first spritz, then warms and diffuses into a sensually sweet aura...mmmmmmmmmmmmm...nice! The gardenia here is a big winner. My major complaint is the bottle. I feel we've been gyped by the red plastic lego block! A fragrance this stunning deserves a much better presentation!

05 March, 2007

Maroc by Long Lost Perfume

To fans of this out of production treasure: please try either Narciso Rodriquez for Her OR Cabaret. You will certainly find one of these to be as rich and seductive as your old favorite!

04 March, 2007

Calèche by Hermès

This scent is a fraternal twin to Chanel's #5. I know, it seems impossible, but listen: both scents share the following notes~ ylang-ylang, jasmine, rose/mayrose, sandalwood & vetiver. The Caleche incorporates a few others as well; such as iris and oakmoss, which add the dry crispness the aldehydes contribute in #5. After drydown, there is also a
    striking resemblence to YSL'S Rive Gauche. A rich and womanly chypre. At any rate, after 45 years in production it's obviously a winning fragrance. Timeless!

04 March, 2007