Reviews by ubuandibeme

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Cabaret by Grès

Panache! That's what Cabaret has...this dry & aromatic elixir is about seduction. No subtlety here ~ this juice is absolutely and overtly sensual. After spritzing this one I felt as though I needed to apply some eyeliner!!! Tovah is spot on when she mentions Narciso Rodriguez for Her. Cabaret is very similar. It is also quite similar to the out of production Maroc put out by Ultima II in the early 1980's. My nose tells me they all have an egyptian musk base. Rich and deep. I also find a bite from lily in this chypre, which keeps this juice from laying resinous on the skin. I've read Cabaret contains patchouli, although it is not readily obvious. Not for the faint of heart! I think this scent is smashing!

04 March, 2007

Cabotine by Grès

Hey, if I didn't know better I might think this Cabotine was a Caron! (First impression is a combination of Fleur de Rocaille and Bellodgia.) The many fruit/floral notes here are beautifully balanced & blended. The spice of the carnation holds well throughout the drydown and prevents the floral notes from becoming too sweet. Just the right amount of orris ~ not overly powdery ~ Comes off fresh! VERY FEMININE & VERY JOYFUL - as previous reviewers have accurately noted! As for the Ylang-Ylang...sometimes it can create an almost "stinky" weed flower type of note ~ but in Cabotine the formulation is so perfect it merely lends authenticity to the florals which keeps this fragrance natural and bright. Thumbs up without hesitation!

03 March, 2007

Dolce Vita by Christian Dior

After reading all the wonderful reviews on this scent, I was so eager to try it! This house puts out some mighty fine fragrances. It is a fruity floral that starts off somewhat citrus/spicy and dries down to a sweet and spicy woody fragrance - VERY WOODY. For me, it's lovely, sweet and feminine. Dolce Vita also comes off very warm and cozy - an excellent cool weather scent. (I can't imagine it on a man, but to each his own!) Definite quality and most certainly worth a try.

03 March, 2007 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Pure White Linen by Estée Lauder

Hmmmmmmmmm, at first I thought this was a little on the powerful side. The 'air notes' and soft iris give this fruity-green-floral an aldehydic tone. Once the powderiness settles, it is a lovely melange of notes! Long lasting too. As for the base, it never fully came forth. The floral notes seem to hold on exceptionally long. As the hours passed after sampling this juice I grew to like it more. I think I'll have to try it again before knowing if I really want to add it to my wardrobe. Definitely worth another sample...

17 February, 2007

In Control Curious by Britney Spears

Warm, slightly sweet, sexy and definitely in control! In Control Curious is quite a sumptuous fragrance. Suprisingly, doesn't come off too foody. I'm not sure exactly what 'loquat fruit' is...but this blend of smooth vanilla and warm sandalwood/musk is a winner! I know, it's difficult to get past the B.S. name on this one, but trust me ~ it's worth it! Also, not heavy - nice for warm weather.

08 February, 2007

Miracle Forever by Lancôme

Wow! I tested this scent, came here to basenotes to write a small commentary only to find Cedriceccentric has already got this one covered! Allure Sensuelle ~ with gourmand hinting toward...Angel...don't you think!? The notes are a little blurred for my taste, almost muddy. Eh.

04 February, 2007

Juicy Couture by Juicy Couture

I've been waiting for basenotes to add this fragrance; over the past year it has become my 18 year old daughter's signature! It smells fabulous on her...bright, playfully youthful, slightly sexy. And although some of the listed notes include watermelon, mandarin, passion fruit, apple caramel creme brulee, crushed leaves, patchouli and woods ~ it also provides a healthy dose of tuberose which really gives this blend it's floral overtone. It is sweet. Sometimes it reminds me of Michael (Kors). As with all Juicy Couture products, the packaging is fit for royalty! From the chocolate brown ribboned pale pink box to the oversized faceted 'crystal flacon' with stopper/cap (very prettty!) it is truly a vanity treasure! Did I mention the bottle itself is encrusted with the Juicy emblem and wrapped with a cute corded necklace of Juicy charms?! Juicy's juice has excellent sillage & remarkable staying power. The body products such as bath caviar and royal body cream are top quality as well. After all this positive opinion ~ I must confess...when I tried this on myself I couldn't stand it! Yep, gave me a raging headache. With THAT out in the open, let me remind you I never tire of it on my girl! It suits her - ROYALLY!

31st January, 2007

Reaction Women by Kenneth Cole

I accidentally got some of this on my hands when rumaging through the fragrances at my local Marshalls store...anyway, I kept smelling "Eternity" by Calvin Klein. Sniffed my hands & sure enough - that's what Reaction Women smells like to me! It is a strong, sharp floral. I don't care for it. Just like Eternity, it smells pungent and un-natural. Not smooth at all.

31st January, 2007

Charlie / Charlie Blue by Revlon

Thirty-four years and still going strong...there's a reason folks! This juice is pretty good. I don't personally care for it, but there have been plenty of times I've complimented someone on their fragrance and it's been Charlie! It's light and neutral...even if it's not your style... you won't find it offensive. Powdery. Slightly sweet and dry. Wears close to the skin.

28 January, 2007

Red Door Velvet by Elizabeth Arden

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm growing tired of the "Red Door" theme. This version has got a mix of patchouli and bergamot...reminiscent of Flowerbomb and Prada. Nothing groundbreaking. It's 'nice', but like I said, "Red Door" is sooooooooooo tired. C'mon EA, give us something NEW!

13 January, 2007

Une Fleur de Chanel by Chanel

This fragrance is very different for the house of Chanel. By the name, I excpected to sample a soliflore ~ which was not the case. Actually, this juice is light and green in composition...notes beautifully blended, not sweet at all. The name Une Fleur is fitting because it is mild...unlike many other florals out there that sort of 'throw the whole garden into the mix'! When sampling this scent, it was as though I was sniffing a single nameless bloom ~ soft & demure. The scent itself is reminiscent of Anais Anais. If you don't typically choose florals this one might please you!

13 January, 2007 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

Do you have a 'stand-by' fragrance, one that when you may be undecided in what to wear you can always rely upon? This is how I see Antidote in a male fragrance wardrobe. It is not earth shatteringly new or different - it smells reliable and trustworthy to me. A little sweet, could be romantic, could be business, could be partying or even worn to church...worth a try in my opinion.

07 January, 2007

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

It's "nice" but a little too sweet for my man. Would suit a metro type personality very well.

07 January, 2007

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

My daughter's 20 year old (ex)boyfriend used to wear this. He used to strut around all cocky and whatnot...leaving me with an obviously bad impression! I've since put that image to rest and returned to this fragrance once again. It is wonderfully wearable. Acqua di Gio is uplifting & fresh. The notes in this frag are intriguing for a male marketed designer scent, and it's success in sales is proof that it pays to produce pleasing quality fragrance. Despite the neigh-sayers, I give it an enthusiastic thumbs up!

07 January, 2007 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Blue by Ralph Lauren

I'm back and forth on this one...powdery/musk...I think I prefer Bulgari's Blu Notte or Bulgari Blu. This blend simply falls flat for me...

06 January, 2007

Poême by Lancôme

Not Lancome's best by any means. I usually appreciate their take on women's fragrance, but Poeme never pulled it off for me! I think it's too heavy on the flowers (& fruit) and really it's just plain boring. You can't win 'em all ~ and Poeme certainly won't win any!

06 January, 2007

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Dry oakmoss is superb here! It's one of those scents I hope they never stop making. Clean, dry, fresh, metro-manly!

05 January, 2007

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Makes me snuggle more closely into my husband's arms! Nice.

05 January, 2007

Omnia Crystalline by Bulgari

A fresh floral/oriental from one of my favorite fragrance houses! Lotus blossom, nashi pear, bamboo, balsa wood and amber notes...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good! This mix is bright & light with excellent staying power. It's easy on the flowers, seamlessly blended, classy too! I'd call this one a 'head turner'. Lots of complements received when wearing this fine fragrance. Would make a lovely introduction into the world of Bulgari scents!

04 January, 2007 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Pure Turquoise by Ralph Lauren

This scent is bright! Even with patchouli at the base, it remains tangy with the green floral of lily of the valley giving a certain perkiness to this juice. I imagine those who favor a fragrance like Clinique's HAPPY would enjoy this scent as a comparable alternative. Comes off very clean and fresh, yet not high-schoolish. The notes are well blended. Excellent!

22 December, 2006

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

I've read all the current reviews on this one and am amazed at the wide variance of opinion. I think TEFLONDOG said GPG2 smells 'sexy & dirty' ~ and it does! Also, TAKEMYHUSBANDPLZ said she detected a note of 'honey' ~ and I do to! It's not a powerhouse scent, it wears very close to the skin. While I like this mixture, it's not quite me. So while I won't be wearing it, I will say you should give it a try. Unique!

22 December, 2006

Rose Essentielle by Bulgari

I'm in agreement with ELF on this one...there's nothing like the real thing when it comes to roses, but this one is actually good. Not too powerful, which is it's best asset! As with all Bulgari's, layering and combining Rose Essentielle with other juices allows the wearer to customize and create a signature scent!

21st December, 2006

Vanille Amande by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

This juice smells EXACTLY like the liquour "Amaretto". It's not for me, but some may enjoy it.

20th December, 2006

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

Mitsouko dipped in sugar...I couldn't enjoy L'Heure Bleue's over the top sweetness. On my skin, it never calmed. Intensely sweet.

07 December, 2006

Affection by Mary Kay

After a thorough test run of Affection, it still comes off as an Angel rip-off...after only about 45 minutes on the skin, it fades into your basic barely there powdery base I've experienced in dozens of cheap perfumes. I must still turn my thumb downward on this one.

04 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 10th August, 2009)

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

Nobody - and I mean NOBODY - does tea notes like Bulgari!!! I'm always pleased, if not completely satisfied, with the high quality & smoothly orchestrated elixirs created by this fragrance house. Au the Rouge is satisfying and very unique as well. Tangy overtones perfectly balance the sweet fig and dry tea notes here...and yes, there is a nutty finish as well! I'd say this blend is very wearable by men or women. I'm lovin' this one!

04 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Lemon Sugar by Fresh

Synthetic notes of lemon combined with a strong 'alcohol' base, this blend is not even worthy of being called a fragrance. Yuk!

04 December, 2006

Baby Doll Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

Rose notes are not usually to my liking...however...I believe this blend of tangy citrus/sweet peach and cedarwood compliment and temper the rose here in Baby Doll Paris. Fresh at first spritz, this mix evolves into a floriental/gourmand with wonderfully polite & feminine sillage! Reminds me of browsing an exclusive boutique! YSL is a remarkable fragrance house, Baby Doll Paris re-affirms that fact!

13 November, 2006

Blu Notte by Bulgari

The previous reviews are wonderfully accurate. For me, the powdery iris is extremely long lasting, and finishes somewhat dry. Bulgari has an original blend here...sounds like we're all lovin' it!

03 November, 2006

24, Faubourg by Hermès

Who says you can't buy class? 24 Faubourg smells like 1981's Giorgio has taken an etiquette course and passed with high honors! The orange blossom in this parfum is front & center. It is supported well by the warm sandalwood in its' base...along with vanilla (listed but undetectable). Fabulous concoction! Rich, elegant, and very old fashioned french - in a great modern way! BTW, Castorpollux has written an eloquent review!

02 November, 2006