Reviews by ubuandibeme

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

The bergamot and orange blossom notes in this blend strongly remind me of Bulgari's Au the Verte. Starts out fresh. The drydown of Un Jardin en Mediterranee is somewhat dry. On the negative side it loses some of it's initial freshness ~ while on the positive, it remains rich with class and sophistication. I imagine either male or female will be able to wear this scent with no problems. This is my favorite of the "Un Jardin" series, I love it's composition and staying power. This Hermes is top notch!

01st November, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Amazing Grace by Philosophy

Amazing Grace - at first whiff - reminded me of a little girls cologne from the early 1960's...I think it was called "Tinkerbell". It was part of an early childhood vanity set which included nail polish, comb & brush. It was for the 'I want to be just like Mommy' girl. I was one of those tykes! After the first impression passes, this fragrance morphs into a clean, fresh, lightly spiced floral which is suitable for everyday wear. It is youthful, innocent and makes me remember the little girl deep within...

29 October, 2006

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

Strangely, this scent reminds me of Miglin's PHEROMONE. It wears extremely close to the skin, not a single flower to be found here! Quality perfumery, albeit not my cup of tea.

27 October, 2006

Bright Crystal by Versace

I'm in agreement with Margareta, this fragrance begins with very generic top-notes...then dries down to a warming powdery amber/woodsy base that wears close to the skin. Sexy in an understated fashion. I find the notes in Bright Crystal true to the basic composition of Crystal Noir. I might describe it more LIGHT than bright though...As usual with Versace, the bottle is a work of art. Lovely modern vanity accessory!

26 October, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Voile de Jasmin by Bulgari

As far as jasmine frags go, I have been forever ruined by Lutens' A La Nuit! With that out of the way, let me say for a light soliflore, Voile de Jasmin is very user friendly and absolutely wearable!

26 October, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Kouros Cologne Sport by Yves Saint Laurent

I do love this sexy scent! I was happily suprised to find Kouros Sport true to the notes of its predecessor. In the world of men's fragrance, overloaded with the same predictable summer fresh aqua/citrus tonics, this spicy clean blend is truly refreshing. Visually this scent gives me an image of a naturally good looking, super-fit guy wakeboarding or windsurfing...very attractive! The citrus is well blended & I'm escpecially glad there's no musk in this...seems like alot of mens lighter frags rely upon the musky dry down - but not Kouros Sport! Overwhelmingly masculine. I will definitely ask my husband to wear this one!

23 October, 2006

Dunhill by Dunhill

The tonka bean base gets me - every time! Just LOVE it! At first spritz, was not too sure about this one... it wasn't until about 15 minutes later I kept re-sniffing my test wrist. The more I sniffed, the more I liked this fragrance! In the end I would say it's intriguing. Light. Ultra-fresh. Wears close to the body. My husband's on his second bottle.

23 October, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Danielle by Danielle Steel

Another "fruity patchouli" ~ smells just like Miss Dior Cherie. Nice, but not unique.

17 October, 2006

Badgley Mischka by Badgley Mischka

The notes for this parfum are:

Top: Wild red berries, Peach, Creme de Cassis

Middle: Osmanthus flower, White peony, Jasmine

Base: Musk, Indian sandalwood, Amber, Patchouli

I gave a quick spritz to the back of my hand as I passed through a very crowded Nordstroms. In a matter of 1 hour I received 2 compliments - from complete strangers! This shocked me, as I didn't think the scent was THAT unique or appealing...very strong. On me, the amber and sandalwood basenotes lasted forever. A very classy scent, rich and heady. Reminds me of another fragrance that I can't put my finger on...at any rate, this one's sure to be a success! Based upon the general response (of complete strangers) go give yourself a spritz!

Update: I've come back to this one, and am very glad I did! IMO THIS is what a 'celebrity' scent should be ~ worthy of an Oscar. The fruity opening is dense and rich, sweet but just right. When the middle floral notes roll in, they lay delicately on the skin, releasing a 'just right' vibe. Peony can be difficult...but this one is nicely paired and balance with the other notes. A fruity floral that's different, high quality and bottle worthy ~ It's truly a winner.

16 October, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Thank you Robyogi for your accurate review! I am in agreement completely. On my own skin, patchouli is usually too powerful...and with L'Artisans rendition; the notes are very wearable albeit fleeting. I will continue to sample L'Artisans quality offerings.

13 October, 2006

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This scent actually makes me salivate! Truly a fragrance that creates vivid imagery...for me; a stroll through a rose garden ~ just this time of year ~ when the breeze is chilled and the leaf encrusted earth is damp. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, smells like beauty. Smells like love. L'Artisan is brilliant!

12 October, 2006

Wish by Chopard

Intriguing notes in this fragrance ~ rich, exotic, even lush. In the spirit of Angel, but not as 'foody' sweet. I am giving this one a thumbs up ~ even though it gave me a headache! WISH I could enjoy this one, my chemistry just won't allow it.

06 October, 2006

Corduroy by Zirh

At first whiff this one comes off very ordinary - or as MonkeyManMatt puts it "office wear". Drydown is where this blend changes for the better! Tonka bean and vanilla are grounded in a subtle woodsy base giving a warm, sexy/edgy feeling. It does wear close to the skin. After about 15 minutes I couldn't resist snorfling my test wrist!!! It is similar to Bulgari Black - which I LOVE! Don't be quick to write this fragrance off ~ give it a fair wear!

05 October, 2006

Curve Chill for Women by Liz Claiborne

Notes of sparkling green tea, peony with a woodsy base...comes off powdery. Nobody does tea notes like Bulgari ~ but for the price this one's O.K. I can't say that I care for this blend. My senses much prefer Curve Crush.

Donna Karan Essence: Wenge by Donna Karan

This scent totally reminds me of Coty's Tigress!!! Spicy. Hot. Seductive too. Great product to layer.

M'Oma by Laura Tonatto

Pear dominates this juice...ripe and sugary. If you are into sweet fruity scents, this one is classy! For my taste it comes off more like a candle fragrance.

Soul by Curve for Women by Liz Claiborne

This mix of notes really doesn't work well for me. The waterflowers, white flowers and incensy musk are not a pleasant combo. At the end of the drydown smells cloying and old lady-ish.

Princess by Vera Wang

The many exotic notes in this royal potion are extremely well chosen and blended! I am a gourmand lover...and this one is perfect for anyone wanting to venture into gourmand territory for the first time! It wears close and sheer. Not cloying at all. A thousand times better quality than VW's original fragrance. I snagged a sample for my daughter ~ I'm quite certain she will love it!

20th September, 2006

Obsession Night by Calvin Klein

Vanilla, tonka bean and amber anchor the base of this rich fragrance. For some reason it smells a little like pipe tobacco...I might enjoy this blend more on my husband! Very good compilation.

20th September, 2006

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

I'm in agreement with nearfantastica's review - especially that Armani Code is a 'James Bond' scent! I bought this for my husband and when he wears it...I turn to putty! It's slightly fresh and not too "perfumey". Manly!
    I think the tonka in the base keeps it close and sexy. Also purchased the deodorant which he likes very much. Thumbs up for sure!

14 September, 2006

Insolence by Guerlain

Powdery notes of iris and sugary sweet berries bring a new twist to the old "violet" fragrance. Tonka bean in the base brings a slightly sophisticated feel to this bright youthful violet scent. I do like it; won't wear it though. Too sweet for my taste. Kind of reminds me of the 1980's Loreal lipstick taste! All in all, another quality creation from this remarkable fragrance house!

14 August, 2006

Amarige Mariage by Givenchy

In this mixture, Givenchy has jumped upon the patchouli bandwagon! Along with Coco Mad., Angel, Miss Dior Cherie, Chanel Chance and Flowerbomb...you'll find the new/strikingly similar Amarige Mariage. I guess it's new territory for this fragrance house, but as far as scents go: nothing new or grand here. I guess one good point is this might bring Givenchy a younger client base. Compared to Angel or Flowerbomb, this is more affordable. It's nice enough for a thumbs up - but if you're looking for something unique, better keep searching because this isn't it.

14 August, 2006

Aqua Allegoria Anisia Bella by Guerlain

As fragrances go, I usually love them for a season, a reason, or a lifetime...Anisia Bella is my love for a season! Summer of 2006. (This is the perfect type of scent for a limited edition too.) What drew me to it initially was the anise...I love Lolita Lempicka, which also features anise, so I was game to try Guerlains'. It is cool and non-sweet - as AltheaSoaps has so eloquently described! Wearing it is no problem for me! I realize when my bottle is empty I'll move on to a new fragrance, but will have enjoyed this remarkably unique potion for it's beauty! By the way, I believe it's been discontinued but can be purchased quite inexpensively online.

25 July, 2006

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

WOW! I just love this Flowerbomb! Everything about it is remarkably unique. The bottle, the name, the fragrance notes...the way they "explode & smolder" ~ simply brilliant! There has been so much extreme opinion on this one, but I personally find it attractive and wearable!

25 July, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Cinnabar by Estée Lauder

There is a note of clove within Cinnabar that is also one of Opiums distinctive spice notes...I love them both for it! These two seem to go hand in hand, and each posesses incredible sillage ~ so apply carefully. Then ENJOY!

13 June, 2006

Envy Me 2 by Gucci

Waterfloral - like water lily - and woodsy...reminds me of a Bath and Body works scent.

09 June, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Tommy Bahama for Women by Tommy Bahama

Water and woods...reminds me of bamboo. O.K. if it's what you like, but I'm not impressed.

Gucci Eau de Parfum II by Gucci

I'm luke warm on this one. I love the top notes - especially bitter orange and mandarine, but the drydown to the basenotes is boring for me.

Gucci Eau de Parfum by Gucci

This smells like laundry - some clean, some dirty. I like the clean. A very strange blend.

Cherry Blossom Glittering by Guerlain

This smells like the twin of Bulgari's Au The Vert, without the pepper note. Definite orange blossom (or cherry blossom) bergamot, maybe cardamom and most certainly green tea! High quality as expected from Guerlain, but I'm slightly disappointed, as I was anticipating a totally 'new' fragrance...oh well...that's the way it goes sometimes.

07 June, 2006