Reviews by ubuandibeme

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Aod by Lostmarc'h

Strictly by chance this sample ended up on my wrist and if not for the printed fragrance notes, I'd never be able to deconstruct Aod! It is supremely blended and completely fresh as the seaside. It has a soapy character very similar to "E" by Princess Jelisaveta Karadjordjevic - whose perfume creation was assisted by Sophia Grojsman. A unique and wearable take on gardenia! Lian & bbBD have eloquently captured the personality of this scent. I highly recommend sampling this beautiful blend.

16 July, 2009

Aqua Allegoria Laurier-Réglisse by Guerlain

Mikeperez has so perfectly described my perceptions of this AA (and my disappointment) I can only say: DITTO

15 July, 2009

Montana Parfum d'Elle (new) by Montana

A fusion of Ysatis and Youth Dew...wears a bit heavily on my skin, smells outdated. The funny thing is, I can't bring myself to turn the thumb completely downward!

15 July, 2009

Private Collection - L'Ombre Fauve by Parfumerie Generale

Personally, I am not enamored with the combination of incense and amber. Amber is a fave of mine, in many forms, but my nose sometimes experiences difficulty with incense. There is a dry/somewhat smokey aspect to L'Ombre Fauve which seems in conflict (rather than compliment) to the sweet, rich amber accord. Fortunately the incense used here quickly dissipates, this phase of development passes and in the end I'm enjoying this Bestial Shadow. Thumbs up, because this frag is interesting & creative - and ultimately wearable too!

14 July, 2009

Îles d'Or by Molinard

WOW, I'd never guess Iles d'Or's age! This exotic fruity gourmand could have easily been plucked off the shelf of a 2009 fragrance display! After the initial sweet and juicy burst of fruits, a slight breezy floral wafts by as she settles into a warm and wooded vanilla base. A wonderful suprise!

14 July, 2009

Aqua Allegoria Cherry Blossom by Guerlain

At first spritz, this smells like Guerlains' Glittering Cherry Blossom, which is basically Bulgari's trademark tea note, and then takes an indolic turn. After reading Asha's review, I 'get' the hairspray smell she's referring to - her commentary is very good (as usual!), but I will give this one a neutral. Mostly because it has a distinct evolution which is creative and it is suprisingly wearable.

Omnia Green Jade by Bulgari

Omnia Green Jade is the fraternal twin of Omnia Crystalline - bordering on identical. It is so similar, I cannot see how this fragrance is even warranted. Thumbs down for cloning!

Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris

An aromatic and compelling take on tobacco. I agree completely with lilybelle's impressions! An interesting and intelligent presentation of unusual notes. Wearable too, I give it two thumbs up!

Verveine by Molinard

Super citrony in the opening, this verbena frag is refreshing! I agree with foetidus, and feel it is absolutely wearable by women as well.

Venise / Venice by Yves Rocher

I get some lavander, sweet with vanilla and an accompanying amber accord. Would make an excellent masculine.

Aqua Allegoria Flora Nerolia by Guerlain

It figures, Guerlain would discontinue THIS one! I love it! In fact, my fingers have been flying furiously over the computer keyboard trying to locate a bottle. Lo and behold one turned up for sale in the marketplace! Lucky me. Now I can douse myself in the potently indolic jasmine yet ever so sheer sweet neroli that stays fresh & light during the most hot, humid dog days of summer. A sprinkling of incense here is like icing on the cake - the perfect accent! Thumbs up.

Aqua Allegoria Rosa Magnifica by Guerlain

Soapy rose. Rosewater, with a slight tea-like character. If you like roses, it's okay.

Emporio Armani White She by Giorgio Armani

If you prefer your garden sans flowers, White She will delight! A fresh garden blend, without being green and without a bloom in sight...it is extremely smooth. Perfumer Annie Buzantian possesses a light hand when it comes to blending, and the result is winning. Perfect summertime clean woodsy/musk and/or 'go to' fragrance sure to please a wide variety of noses. Two thumbs up!

05 July, 2009

Fleurs de Nuit by Badgley Mischka

The bottle of Fleurs de Nuit is one of the most stunning I've seen. Gorgeous! The fragrance itself though...kind of bores me. I'm a huge floral fan, but this one just doesn't have anything special worth latching onto. Non-descript floral, in the same vein as Dior's J'Adore... I suppose if you are put off by most floral frags, Fleurs de Nuit might be wearable for you.

03 July, 2009 (Last Edited: 05 July, 2009)

Mukhallat by Montale

Wishing that Mukhallat evoked the feelings & lovely memories expressed by jenson, I must (sadly) give this potent mixture a thumbs down... for my own associations, the strawberry/almond topnotes smell like a public restroom freshener commonly used in the midwest. Artificial smelling. I sprayed one very small squirt onto a tissue and left it on my kitchen countertop for about 6 hours. When I returned to re-sniff it, the sickly sweet berry smell had died down quite a bit and a more vanillic sweet almond was the dominant note. At this later stage Mukhallat seems tolerable, yet not what I want to wear. In the end, my thumb is neutral, as I seriously believe my cultural associations imparted a tainted viewpoint. If not for that, I would say others may enjoy this Montale...but not me, nope, not this one.

01st July, 2009

Libertine by Vivienne Westwood

Libertine begins with a fresh and frosty lily floral, reminiscent of Estee Lauder's Pleasures or even Ralph Lauren's Pure Turquoise. As it warms on the skin, an amber accord appears, sort of fleshy, like Chantilly. Libertine sweetens and sparkles, remaining feminine and interesting throughout it's duration. For my own taste, it gets a little bit cloying, but don't let my quirky nose put you off this one, it's definitely worth trying!

30th June, 2009

D&G Feminine by Dolce & Gabbana

Rich fruity topnotes of tangerine and yuzu quickly give way to a softly blended floral bouquet. The floral notes are muted, like a photograph taken with a soft-focus lense, fuzzy and gentle around the edges. A little bit powdery. Other D&G frags I've tried have a distinguishable musk in their base, and it is present here too. Completely pretty! Extremely wearable.

30th June, 2009

Folavril by Annick Goutal

This one has gotten such great press - not to mention great wear - from several esteemed basenoters. I ended up buying a bottle blindly, and don't regret it one bit! Having read somewhere that Folavril was Goutals' first creation, I wish I would have tried it years ago. It is soapy and fresh. Not sweet, but not dry or bitter either. Delicate, yet has quite good sillage & longevity, particularly for it's genre. Folavril reminds me of the childrens' bubble blowing liquid that comes in a plastic bottle with the circle wand. Pucker up, blow, and giggle with delight at the array of fairy like bubbles floating around! Uplifting and light hearted, I cannot imagine this fragrance being worn without a smile as an accompaniment!

18 June, 2009

Donna Karan Essence: Jasmine by Donna Karan

FYI, I am the number one fan of A La Nuit by Lutens, which is my 'gold standard/benchmark' jasmine frag for all others to be held against for comparison. With THAT being said, you must know that Donna Karan Essence: Jasmine has brought me to my knees! JASMINE! Non-embellished, raw and real as I've ever smelled, which is how I like to smell this flower. A perfect replication of nature! As I smell both jasmines, side by side, the Lutens' top notes seem acetone heavy, and need some time to settle. A La Nuit also possesses a touch of green and is far more fresh than indolic, with longevity & sillage to spare. DK Essence Jasmine is still fresh, but not so green, and the indolic properties of the natural flower are far more evident. I've been using the DK Jasmine body lotion along with the edt spray and have no trouble whatsoever with longevity or sillage. (BTW, the lotion is high quality and true to the scent as well!) Now I have two 'gold standard' jasmines! The downside to this perfect jasmine by DK is the high price and low availability...but this is one flower essence I'm willing to hunt down & empty my wallet for! Highly recommended.

15 June, 2009

Luscious Pink by Mariah Carey

Mariah Carey has now officially branded her name onto one of the pink cattle whos' herd is stampeding the current feminine fragrance market. Does anybody own a tranquilizer gun?

11th June, 2009

Ambre de Cabochard by Grès

If you have Hermes taste on a discount shopping budget, Ambre de Cabochard might work for you! This one smells like a great substitute for Ambre Narguile of the Hermessence line of fragrances. Fruity and very sweet, when the sugar burns off after the first couple hours, the amber shows itself. Strikes me as the amber base of the old Emeraude by Coty. I found a bottle of this at a local discounter for $9.99. A bargain if you like your amber super sweet.

10th June, 2009

D'Humeur Jalouse by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Jealousy, the 'green eyed monster'...so you can guess this one is green. Not your everyday leaves & herbs. This is the green of tomato leaves and stems. Bitter, yet interesting. I think there may be some iris and cedarwood hiding in the base, but any other notes living within this blend are overrun by the 'monster greens'! Fun frag, exciting to my nose. Makes me wonder how the rest of the L'Artisan 'moods' range smells. Creative!

10th June, 2009

Bel Respiro by Chanel

Chanels' exclusifs line is a dream for me! Each of them is like a branch grown from the same quality rooted tree trunk, together forming the most glorious range of foliage one can imagine! Upon sniffing an 'exclusif', it's Chanel upbringing is quite obvious. Bel Respiro's opening notes candidly reveal it's sisterhood with #19, and even Cristalle. Crisp, green and fresh, BR goes on smelling like a well manicured garden basking in the morning sun. Not sweet, or flowery. It retains a cool garden freshness throughout, although it does fade in intensity. Completely wearable by man or woman, this Chanel is a summertime delight!

09 June, 2009

Jasmin Vert by Miller Harris

Green and grassy, Miller Harris' Jasmin Vert is a spritely garden variation on the everpopular jasmine flower. This is not the indolic, pungently floral variety of the delicate white bloom. It is the green sort, the kind found in Keiko Mecheri's Jasmine. After the initial blast of green-ness subsides, a bright lemony burst suprises my nose - and makes me smile! I wasn't expecting it, but that citrus moment satisfies! The drydown reveals what my nose perceives as petitgrain...and then a light musk at the very end. Unfortunately, the lifespan of this wonderous scent is short, alas - it's an EDT. It is also difficult to come by. Wherever it is listed for purchase, the price is quite steep. There are other jasmines far superior IMO, but I'm very happy to have found this little "jasmine suprise"!

09 June, 2009

7:15 am in Bali by Kenzo

7:15 am in Bali, what a crazy name! Ah, no wonder, it's a 'travel exclusive'. This basically means it is only sold at duty free shops. Well, lucky for me my daughter went traveling and bought her perfume lovin' mama a bottle! This Kenzo is a very light edt. It wears like a body spray. Aside from that, it's a great little scent! Fruity opening, orchid floral heart and a thin vanilla drydown. Pretty much smells like a watered down Tocade ~ but less reminiscent of say, dreamsicles or childrens' medicine. 7:15 am in Bali is perfect for the beach, pool, amusement park, or anywhere else you may be sweating this summertime! I like that it's NOT LEMONY, and NOT COCONUTTY. It is breezy, light and refreshing - without smelling like a cocktail, suntan lotion, or too perfumey - it is just right!

03 June, 2009

Héritage by Guerlain

Plush, full bodied even, a fragrance worn by worldly men of good taste. This composition is smooth. I'm in love with the perfect presentation of lavender, and the drydown of tonka & vanilla. It stays sweet, yet never loses it's manliness. Two thumbs way up!

03 June, 2009

Fire & Ice by Revlon

While browsing an antique mall, I happened upon some fragrances and this Fire & Ice Cologne was one of them. For a mere $4.00, the bottle went home in my bag! At any rate, here are the notes as listed on the Revlon website:

Top: Orange Flower, Tangerine, Osmanthus
    Middle: Orchid, Magnolia, Tuberose, Narcissus
    DryDown: Exotic Woods, Incense, Amber, Musk

The opening is really non-descript, your basic fruity floral if you ask me. The middle notes are what really stand out. The orchid, magnolia, tuberose trio are the heart and soul of this pretty perfume. Sweetly spiced and slightly powdery, these flowers are perfectly perched upon a sturdy base of amber, woods & musk. I don't detect the incense as a distinctive note, but it could definitely be lending some powder & spice to this composition. In fact, Powder & Spice may be a more fitting moniker for this potion! As colognes go, and a drugstore cheapie at that, Fire & Ice lasts a good couple hours with decent projection. Not bad for four bucks!

28 May, 2009

Aria Missoni by Missoni

Missoni Aria is like a first cousin to Dior's original Poison! They are both a spiced fruity floral, with Aria's dominant trait being the floral, Poison's is more fruity. I'm shocked at the resemblance! Sure would like to know the nose behind this one. Pure 1980's big & bold.

27 May, 2009

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

Sure wish I had tried this one sooner! Hypnotic Poison is a wonderfully wearable gourmand, with a tantalizing juxtaposition of bitter and sweet. Although not listed in the note pyramid, there is a heliotrope like effect, maybe from combining the bitter almond top and the vanilla base...at any rate, it is slightly powdery - simultaneously soft & sharp. Interesting. It reminds me very much of KenzoAmour - the "inedible vanilla". At it's heart, the jasmine and moss keep the entire potion from being too sweet. Worthy of a test run, for sure!

26 May, 2009

Aqua Allegoria Lilia Bella by Guerlain

I'm already a fan of Anisia Bella so it's no suprise my nose is happy to smell Lilia Bella too! True enough, it is predominantly lily of the valley (muguet) but it lives here in the good company of a pale rose and touch of indole. Another reviewer previously mentioned jasmine...I don't really get jasmine, but yes - the indole is there! It's the 'smells like mothballs' variety, which lends an authentic fresh garden aire to this fragrance. The entire Aqua Allegoria line is fun and very wearable by a wide range of people, and I also find they make an excellent introduction to Guerlains - and perfumery in general.

25 May, 2009