Reviews by ubuandibeme

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

I love mangoes. I purchase fresh ripe mangoes only when there is a slight 'perfume' to their smell. So, it only makes sense to include sweet mango in this unique summer scent! The topnote doesn't last long though, so enjoy it while you can...drydown brings a more spiced wood aire...making me think this juice is a relative of Eau D'Hadrien! Tropical summer refreshment, well done.

Un Lys by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

If you have ever pressed your nose into a freshly bloomed stem of lilac OR a newly opened bloom on a spring Easter lily, taken an extra deep breath, and marveled at these spectacular creations of nature ~ you may have the same feeling after catching a whiff of Un Lys! This is by far the most accurate and perfect floral replication I've ever experienced - BREATHTAKING!

Bois d'Argent Cologne by Christian Dior

Reviewing from a second sample

05 June, 2006 (Last Edited: 20th July, 2009)

Orchidée Blanc by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Calchic's got this one covered 100%! For me, the topnotes come off a little soapy...the drydown however is soooooo very pleasant. Do give it a chance, an extremely unique and well done (not overdone) scent!

L by Lolita Lempicka

I'm in total agreement with cedriceccentric - a definite top choice for 2006! L's bitter orange and cinnamon opening is spectacular. The orange is sweet, the cinnamon subtle...lovely! I'm not quite familiar with 'solar notes' but I believe they give an enticing vapor-like quality in a non-ozone way! (If that makes sense) I'm absolutely enthralled with this creation. The bottle ~ WOW! Gorgeous! Due to my age, the "L" is reminiscent of the everpresent monogram Penny Marshall wore on the Lavergne & Shirley sitcom...but since L & S was one of my faves, I can look beyond that particular association! My own personal feeling is "L" could be the Obsession of 2006. Absolutely a winner!

04 June, 2006

Fifi Chachnil by Fifi Chachnil

Wow! This Fifi is something else! Probably the most '1950's French' scent I've ever smelled! Notes of fruit, coriander, vanilla, rose, tobacco and amber are sensually blended to create this ultra-feminine (sorry guys) come-hither sex potion! This floral oriental juice creates an image of Marilyn Monroe wearing a penoir set pouring her mans favorite brand of single malt scotch into a crystal rocks glass. Female seductress! A special occasion fragrance. I can't imagine it being worn as an everyday type scent. It's much too...well...special!!! Although it takes me back in time, I do think it's very wearable now. * Coming from a lingerie designer it is totally appropriate!

03 June, 2006

West Broadway by Bond No. 9

Teflondog is right about this one wearing close to the skin. I find the musk base extremely pure. The top notes fade rapidly, and I never really smelled the lily of the valley...I didn't get ANY floral note at all. For those of you who prefer non-floral scents this is nice. The musk in it reminds me of a Dolce & Gabbana creation ~ only lighter. Slightly powdery finish. Excellent for either a man or woman and would probably take the heat very well.

03 June, 2006

Fleurage by Visari

Fleurage is a light and fresh floral. With a slight green note, it puts forth a crispness that is not too sweet, or too botanical. My very best friend detests most florals but truly loves this one ~ enough to purchase the full bottle! I might also detect a bit of vanilla in the base which adds a balancing warmth. Quite nice! (*btw - the photo shown here is NOT the correct bottle for this fragrance.)

Cerissa by Revlon

Cerissa is the ugly stepsister of Ciara. Just ignore her, she's not worth giving the time of day.

Swiss Army by Swiss Army

Swiss Army is what I label "safe". It is a nicely blended fragrance in which no one particular note stands out above the rest. Versatile too - just like the swiss army knife! Can be worn either dressed up or down. Very nice on a man as it never comes off too perfumey. Great value for the price.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Wonderful scent on a man, especially in the heat of summer...steamy and sexy! Love it.

Cristalle Eau de Parfum by Chanel

Not my favorite Chanel. Quality, yes. But on me it never develops as eloquently as calchic's review. My preference within the same type of fragrance is Christian Dior's "Diorella" - the female version of Eau Sauvage. I chalk this one up to a matter of personal taste.

02 June, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Pique by Redken

Far too sweet for my taste, yet was very popular in the 1980's. Sort of reminds me of Sand & Sable. Artificial smelling.

Michael Kors / Michael by Michael Kors

On a shopping trip my cousin bought this, and excitedly sprayed it all over her body...needless to say, it was a bit much! By the end of the day, I was a little sick of Michael. My senses find it too flowery/syrupy sweet. The next morning, remnants of Michael smelled much better than the previous day. If used sparingly, the basenotes are O.K. I'll pass though.

Oxygène by Lanvin

I completely agree with VintageVogue's review of this scent! I've already gone through a full bottle, and will probably re-purchase in the near future.

Diorella by Christian Dior

Shockingly, this is one of the rare occasions I am not in total agreement with calchic. Having tried both Chanel Cristalle EDP and Diorella EDT my personal take on the two are very similar...both have listed sicilian lemon, bergamot and peach included in their topnotes. Both include jasmine, oakmoss, and vetiver in the middle and basenotes. However,the big attraction for me with Diorella is the inclusion of many assorted, high quality and well balanced basenotes. In addition to the vetiver and oakmoss within Cristalle - Dior's creation adds vanilla, clove, sandalwood, musk and patchouli! This sounds as if it can get a bit muddy, but it doesn't. Actually, it is a clear & sheer combination that wears close to the skin. On me, it is much more polite than Cristalle - which ends up blatently throwing off notes of pure waxy lemon citrus and herbal green in a bold, pungent manner. Each of these scents are excellent in composition, no doubt, but Diorella is first chair (IMO) - Cristalle is seated somewhere back in the second section.

Gold Woman by Amouage

If ever there was a cloying "old lady" smelling concoction - this is it! I just don't 'get' all the hype of this Amouage brand. I have also tried 3 of their other fragrances and find them all very off-putting. This goes for Ciel, Dia, and Silver. Each one oily, heavy, overpowering. These perfumes smell like something one would wear as a potent attempt to cover an unwanted odor. Disgusting.

02 June, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Tatiana by Diane Von Furstenberg

The notes in this scent are orange blossom, bergamot, jasmine, narcissus, tuberose and musk. Nothing very unusual or unknown to my senses here, however, when I wear it my nose gets a sharp sort of 'stinky' note with no idea where it is coming from! It may be an unlisted or indiscernable green note. In any case, Tatiana is O.K. after it settles down. Definitely not one of my faves, but it IS a unique blend.

01st June, 2006

Vanilia by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Sorry ~ I'm trying to love this Vanilia but it's not working. It seems "un-finished" to me...like it's missing a key element. Suprising too is the speed at which this scent escapes my body. The nicest comment I can make is that it is NOT sweet or foody. This one's going on my swap list...

31st May, 2006

Chantilly by Dana

This was my grandma's signature scent! Even as a small child, I have a distinct memory of her smell. The spicy floral sweetness of Chantilly is delicate, and intricate - just like chantilly lace. Suprisingly well blended, and possesses a distinct amber base! My favorite product in this fragrance line is the after bath dusting powder. Using it is like traveling back in time to the 1940's! So glad it's never been discontinued.

31st May, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Cheap and Chic I Love Love by Moschino

Yep, trashy packaging with a crisp and fresh scent! The beginning of this scent smells like fizzy fruit flavored sodapop! My only complaint is this fragrance fades quickly...kind of like a summer fling! Quite fun though.

26 May, 2006 (Last Edited: 24 July, 2009)

Envy Me by Gucci

Reminds me of McClintock's Number 3, maybe not quite as sweet. Florally freshness done in a very couture way! Did I mention it is clean as well? Not waterfloral or soapy clean - just fresh and crisp. A bit more green than I care to deal with in 8 hours though...

26 May, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Cashmere Mist by Donna Karan

Cashmere Mist is a smoooooooooooooth blend. A touch of spice and powder for interest, it does remind me of a fine soft sweater! As I admired this scent it also brought to mind Guerlain's Samsara and Burberry Brit, so if either of those appeal to you give Cashmere Mist a try.

26 May, 2006

Sheer Obsession by Calvin Klein

Guess I'm the minority here: I love Obsession (original) AND I love Sheer Obsession! I think it's awesome the way Sheer's formulation manages to keep the same basenotes, only quieter. It also has staying power ~ but wears closer to the skin than the original version. (I think the original has remarkable sillage!)

26 May, 2006

Ciara by Revlon

Calchic's done it again! Perfect description - this fragrance is sweet, but make no mistake, under all that sweetness the woman wearing Ciara (who is 100% WOMAN)is ready to play hard-ball and will take no prisoners! A 70's classic sure to remain in the perfume world for many years to come.

25 May, 2006

Brut by Fabergé

Brut is a great classic as long as the wearer follows 2 rules...Do not over-apply and Do not use it to 'cover up' other unwanted odors! A small amount fresh out of the shower is the best!

24 May, 2006

Kenneth Cole New York Women by Kenneth Cole

Woods, spice, floral & citrus - but nothing stands out here. Too bad this fragrance doesn't live up to the expectations created by the modern/chic bottle design. Very non-descript. I put this in the same category as Jadore and Very Irresistable...blase'.

24 May, 2006

Halston by Halston

Halston is a fragrance I've complimented many friends and co-workers on over the years. It has a soft, fresh woodsiness that lends an aire of class - without any snootiness. I have tried to wear this one on numerous occasions, but every time I do; I end up smelling like wood shavings in a hamster cage. I've gone as far as to spritz it only on my clothing, but after a short while it's back to the same old rodent cage. The bottle design is awesome! I also LOVE Elsa Peretti's jewelry line for Tiffany - very classy!

23 May, 2006

White Linen by Estée Lauder

Sophia Grojsman's signature is all over this scent! Clean, crisp, fresh - NEVER CLOYING! She works magic with aldehydes. White Linen lives up to its' name. I also find the assorted bath and body products in this fragrance very nice as well. An Estee' Lauder classic that I will surely enjoy throughout my lifetime!

22 May, 2006

Brit by Burberry

Hey everybody ~ hold on a minute! (I am now jumping up and down with hands waving furiously.) This Brit by Burberry comes in two presentations. The EDT: Clear bottle, white plaid, light golden juice, smells like insect repellant...AND...The EDP: Clear bottle, Red & Black plaid, champagne colored juice and smells heavenly! MMMMMMMMM!!!

Never gave this one a second thought after having the misfortune of sampling the edt about a 1 1/2 years ago. I'd already written it off as junk. Just so happens, I was shopping in the Burberry store and caught a whiff of Brit EDP on another shopper scooting past me. The scent was rich and warm, vanilla with tonka and woods. So fitting a fragrance for this blustery November evening ~ immediately, I spritzed this one on and was completely scent-ually satisfied!

In it's edp form, Brit shows true class and character. The top notes come off like the chill in the November air as it commands your attention. Quickly it melds into your skin, gaining depth, sweetness and warmth as it progresses. Brit has almost a smoldering effect, and the sillage is supreme!

If you have been exposed to the disgusting edt of this fragrance, I beg you to give Brit another chance in it's edp form...I promise, you won't be sorry!

20th May, 2006 (Last Edited: 06 November, 2007)