Reviews by ubuandibeme

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Higher Energy by Christian Dior

Reminds me of a glass of gin with a twist of lemon & sprig of rosemary! It's also what I'd describe as "sheer". Wears very close to the skin after drydown. Due to its sheer nature, would be a pretty good choice of fragrance during the heat of summer...although there are others I prefer.

19 May, 2006

Forever by Alfred Sung

A light and woodsy floral - great for summerwear! Makes me feel like putting on a spring skirt and heels! Not overpowering or overly sweet.

19 May, 2006

Stetson Black by Stetson

Matthew McConaughey is a beautiful man. When I saw the ad for Stetson Black with him dressed in his 'all American cowboy' gear I just couldn't help but try this fragrance! Admittedly, the topnotes were a bit generic and cheap smelling, but they weren't around for more than a few minutes. The drydown, however, was suprisingly nice. Suede, yep, the smell of SUEDE - soft & sexy! The scent of a true frontiersman puttin' on his best...I will probably buy some of this for my husband!

Santos by Cartier

The original 1980's formulation of Santos (not the recent one that's been altered and now seems watered down) was fabulous! It is how I imagine James Bond to smell!!! Smooth, sophisticated, in control, manly, yum! Some have commented this fragrance is strong, however I think of it more as having great sillage, which 007 would definitely have! Thumbs up all the way.

Forever Elizabeth by Elizabeth Taylor

A fruity floral with a musky amber base. Very run-of-the-mill. Smells like a million others. Not offensive, but not descript or memorable in any way. Skip it.

Shania by Stetson

The drugstore had a tester of this so I spritzed myself! First impression was fruity...read the box...pomegranite and raspberry were listed along with freesia, wild prairie rose, jasmine, honeysuckle and musk. After about 3 minutes I could only smell fruit punch ~ in a squeaky clean glass! Didn't notice the florals or musk. After about 30 minutes or so the fruitiness died down and I was left with a soft clean floral. Smells just like Tommy Girl! If you like fruity florals or TG this one's not bad for the price! It's just not a scent I personally care to wear.

17 May, 2006

Cavalli by Roberto Cavalli

The notes in this fragrance are potent, and deep. It vaguely reminds me of Dior's Addict in a strange way. Its effect is kind of smoldering. After reading the actual notes I am mystified. I do not know what Elemi or Diastella smell like! I do know this blend is rich, elegant, and great for evening wear. Not for the faint of heart.

16 May, 2006

Blu by Bulgari

Bulgari lists the floral notes as acacia, wisteria, and flax flower. Bulgari also notes this fragrance is built around the unusual scent of ginger. Vanilla included here, along with woods and musk. This juice is really what I like to call 'fire & ice', which lends to much interest. As previous reviewers have mentioned, it begins cool and fresh ~ warming as the drydown progresses. I personally find this to be a high quality blend. Unusual. If you are not a particular fan of florals, Blu is a must try - as it doesn't come off flowery. As for the ginger: I recently tested the new Armani Code (for women) and prefer the ginger note found there. I think it has to do with the choice of floral it is paired with. At any rate, Blu is an original elixir not to be overlooked. Give it a try if you have an opportunity.

16 May, 2006

Cotton Candy by Demeter Fragrance Library

Curiosity got the better of me...so...I tried this 'Cotton Candy' scent. Basically no suprises here. Sweet artificial vanilla with a hint of paper cone and plastic bag thrown in for authenticity! Interesting that someone may actually want to smell like this...but not me!

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

My husband used to wear this when we were dating in the early-mid 80's and I LOVED it on him! Some powerfully sexy stuff! After we married and I was pregnant, he wore it again and I was sicker than a dog from the smell! So, this neutral rating is essentially a combination of love & hate. After reading the 45 previous comments I can honestly say each remark is accurate!!! This is one scent you'll just have to try for yourself.

Dolce & Gabbana by Dolce & Gabbana

YES! I agree with all the previous reviewers comments. A warm red oriental - the aldehyde note subtly softens the sharper tones, creating a blend that doesn't come off too flowery. Although the basenotes include sandalwood and tonka bean ~ the musk is most prominent. I find this to be almost a 'signature' of D&G fragrances - and it's quite nice! This one brings to mind Venezia by Laura Biagotti, maybe a little softer.

Chic by Carolina Herrera

YIKES! First spritz gives off bitter fumes! I don't really know (or care) what notes these are - I simply want to stay away from them...drydown brought a urine odor to my senses, I'm running to wash this off immediately.

Salvatore Ferragamo by Salvatore Ferragamo

SPARKLING! The topnotes completely interface with the heartnotes showcasing the springtime flowers bursting forth from this juice! My initial impression is similar to that of Guerlain's classic Champs Elysees. The green notes breathe freshness into the rose and peony, inducing a slightly watery aire. (Maybe a little reminiscent of L'eau D'Issey - albeit softer and not as woody on the drydown.) If you're a fan of either CE or L'ED'I - give this fragrance a try!

14 May, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

In Love Again by Yves Saint Laurent

In Love Again must be the fraternal twin to Eau D'Hadrien. EDH's lemony topnotes and woodsy drydown are mimicked here... ILA begins with grapefruit citrus topnotes and clearly a more musk laden drydown - much lighter on the wood notes. For my senses, it comes off VERY uni-sex. Remains slightly sweet. Appropriate for wear during the heat of summer. Classy too!

L'Instant de Guerlain by Guerlain

The name "L'Instant" just doesn't capture the essence of this perfume for me. Juice with this staying power, sillage, and potent vapor-like amber base should not have such a fleeting name. The notes here - honeyed & warm - are akin to Givenchy's Organza with a hint of Dior's Addict thrown in! I like this one, but Addict is already in my wardrobe ~ and I somewhat prefer it.

Infini by Caron

Unmistakably CARON! I completely agree with sceneur7 - this one is very wearable by a man. The floral notes here have depth and richness - not fleeting or lighthearted in any way.

Ted Lapidus pour Homme by Ted Lapidus

This - along with JHL - were truly the finest of mens fragrance! I agree, the bottle was totally 70's tacky! However, this juice was smoldering- sexy, superhero-manly, and very memorable...PLEASE bring it back!!!

10th May, 2006

Allure Eau de Toilette by Chanel

This is what I'd classify a "Nice" fragrance. It is pleasant enough, no offensive notes or off-color combinations. For my taste, it lacks vitality. A little too plain. I much prefer a scent with more variation & distinct evolution.

Cristalle Eau de Toilette by Chanel

After reading the fragrance notes in Crystalle, I was all set to love this scent. However, after a squirt on the wrist all I could smell was lemon furniture polish surrounded by greens. Even though my body has rejected this particular potion, it has welcomed No.5, No.19 and Coco with a loving chemistry! When all is said and done ~ Chanel IS quality, and you certainly will find your love connection somewhere within their fragrance line!

No. 22 by Chanel

Me and my quirky chemistry...number 22 is soooooo powdery and dry on my skin, it comes off just like Kenzo Flower ~ which I call "Dr. Scholls Footpowder". Gladly though, there are so many excellent reviews by others. It can be lovely when on the right wearer!

No. 19 by Chanel

Two enthusiastic thumbs up for Chanel #19! I must confess, in my earlier years this was a scent to completely steer clear of...BUT...now that I've matured, and am clearly aware of my identity, it is with great confidence I wear this glorious fragrance! Oakmoss and sandalwood are notes I was born to wear! The greens in this mix keep the moss & woods from being overly dry. Greens usually come off sharp on me - but not here. After reading previous reviews, I believe I am one of the fortunate ones who's chemistry breathes life into this blend. I'm loving this one!

07 May, 2006

Red Door Revealed by Elizabeth Arden

This fragrances' fair bouquet is well grounded in a moderate amber base. In fact, it's the amber in this mix that really cinches it for me. It is mild and wears close to the skin. Very faint after an hour or two, but will probably wear better in the heat of summer. Thankfully, this version meshes with my chemistry MUCH better than the original RD. A definite thumbs up!

L'Or de Torrente by Torrente

Black currant and tangerine at the top combine to release a very fresh & only slightly fruity tone that does a superb balancing act with the coffee and rose in the heart (nope, I don't smell the coffee but mention it; as it is listed as an official note). I also believe the fruit notes keep the rose from cloying - preserving its' freshness. The base note of vanilla orchid is the real hook for me! Simple and elegant fragrance. The bottle is a real vanity accessory!

Ellen Tracy (new) by Ellen Tracy

An intricate blend of flowers, sandalwood and tonkabean unite to create this modern scent. I find it extremely wearable...makes me anxious to try the other Ellen Tracy fragrances! You might catch me wearing this one anytime, anywhere! (Reminds me a little of Versace's Crystal Noir or Arden's Red Door Reavealed - ONLY it is more tempered than either of those, and as I mentioned; VERY WEARABLE!)

Red Door by Elizabeth Arden

As more fragrance samples wet my wrists, I am learning that rose notes are quirky with my chemistry...on rare occasion, there is a dewy sweet velvet petaled blossom that comes alive when I wear it, HOWEVER, the rose in Red Door is NOT one of those blooms. It goes bitter/sour on me - and VERY cloying.

Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert Extreme by Bulgari

Very unique and more intense version of Au The Verte. I like the green tea note - and like it's afore mentioned predecesor, it reminds me of a day at the spa! FRESH! Classy too! I would love to sample this on my husband...

01st May, 2006

Jessica McClintock by Jessica McClintock

Very pungent sweet floral. Reminds me of a cologne younger girls - ages 10-12 - might wear. I much prefer McClintock Number 3 and her newer Silk Ribbons.

01st May, 2006

Pink Sugar by Aquolina

Only food-y fragrance lovers will be wearing this confection! Pink candy striping and the name Pink Sugar simply doesn't strike me as being a uni-sex scent. In fact, the cotton candy, strawberry, raspberry, red licorice notes whip this mixture into the 'eau de toilette for 10 year old girls' category. So sweet and fruity, it may even give Willie Wonka hyperglycemia.

30th April, 2006

Escada by Escada

Escada is overflowing with notes of every kind - fruit, flower, water, earth, green, woods, musk...it really smells like the perfume department! Somehow, after the drydown there is a strange reminiscence of Anne Klein II...if you choose to wear this 'loaded' fragrance - please go lightly!

30th April, 2006

Pure Poison by Christian Dior

A very musky scent with fruit in the mix. Not particularly feminine to my senses. I think the original Poison is better by far.

30th April, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)