Reviews by ubuandibeme

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Island by Michael Kors

If you love watery aquatic florals then this one's for you. I'm not liking it for myself though. Something in it that goes sharp on me.

Innocent by Thierry Mugler

The only reason this one's getting a neutral rating from this nose is I'm in awe of the originality of this scent. Other than that, I say thumbs down...smells like a cup of earl grey tea with lemon mixed with the 1970's formulation of Clairol Herbal Essence shampoo. Yuk.

Prada (new) by Prada

As TOVAH has shared, I too think my first experience with Prada was tainted! Over the past 6 months or so, I've complimented 2 different people on their fragrance, come to find out; they were wearing Prada! So, I gave it another try and was pleasantly suprised. The blend here is a complete emulsification of earth and flower. Not too sweet, actually a bit dry - but in the softest way. Excellent sillage. Clean presentation, sophisticated too. The bottle accurately represents the contents, which I adore! Classic in the making - for sure!

30th April, 2006 (Last Edited: 13 May, 2007)

212 by Carolina Herrera

This scent is extremely sexy! I can't imagine a new one was ever formulated...to include 'sexy' in it's name. The notes are a very original blend, and the drydown brings the woodsy musk into full bloom ~ which is the really sexy part! It comes off a little dry overall, but chic. I also heard that the name 212 was the area code of Caroline Herrera, at least at the time of it's birth! Kinda interesting!

Bulgari pour Femme by Bulgari

The violet and rose combination here do nasty things on my skin. Not good.

Vera Wang by Vera Wang

Before I tried this scent, I was very excited because Vera Wang is THEE premier designer of formal gowns - especially for weddings! I thought for certain this perfume would be soft, slightly sweet, classy and just magnificent...well...my expectations were crushed after sampling VW. After a mere spritz I was waiting to catch the bridal bouquet, but was repeatedly hit in the head with every floral note ever created! INSTANT HEADACHE!!! This is positively the most cloying mix I've ever smelled. It actually made me sick to my stomach. Stick to the formalwear Vera.

360 Degrees for Women by Perry Ellis

This smells like Petit Cherie got a perm! You know, the skunky alkaline smelling chemical that is so pungent, every time your hair gets wet: it's stinky all over again! Just when I thought I'd sampled the worst scent possible, THIS one ends up on my wrist...thumbs down, obviously.

Émeraude by Coty

As I was shopping the Super Walmart this morning, I happened by their fragrance isle...couldn't help myself you know?! I was amazed at their full stock. Looks like they carry all of the Coty and Dana products still in production, as well as some current suprises! My eyes browsed through their grocery display of scents, discovering a sample of Emeraude. I readied my wrist and pushed the pump ~ deeply inhaled ~ and was instantly back in my early childhood, sniffing mother's scarf and gloves I was playing dress-up with! To me, the formula still smells virtually the same, although it has been reworked. It's tenderly warm, sweet and a little spicy. Slightly powdery; timeless!

29 April, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

When I was a kid, my aunt had these tiny little guest soaps in her bathroom. They were shaped like flowers and swans, and smelled just like Anais Anais. For this memory being so distinct, I cannot appreciate this fragrance. Even when I smell someone wearing it, I feel like I'm back in Auntie's bathroom...sorry.

Alien by Thierry Mugler

Love the bottle - hate the name. Love the amber base - hate the jasmine top. I guess I'm about 50/50 on this one! Really, the warm amber basenote is the best part of this fragrance. I personally don't think the 'green' belongs in this mix, it seems to take away from the smoothness of the amber and creates a sharp edge. (Maybe THAT was the point in this creation, I don't know!) Anyway, as far as an amber/floral scent I would recommend Versace Crystal Noir over Alien.

Mariella Burani by Mariella Burani

I received a small vial of this obscure fragrance in a lot of samples I won on E-bay. I LOVE every note within this stunning scent! [and there are many!] As I take a whiff off my 'test wrist' I want to jump up and down on the couch (ala Tom Cruise) and declare my love for this superb juice!!! It is completely intoxicating - in the same vein as Chanel's no.5! I know, you're rolling your eyes, but honestly, if you enjoy #5 or even Rive Gauche by YSL this is a MUST TRY SCENT!

Boucheron by Boucheron

If I were to sample this fragrance without knowing the designer, I might mistake it for a Caron creation!!! It also has striking similarities to Bal a Versaille - which immediately catapults this scent into a whole new realm. A true oriental/floral - a bit old world in its composition. Complex. Sweet. Powdery. Deep. Magnificent! Huge compliments to the perfumers Frances Deleamont & Jean-Pierre Bethouart[Firmenich].

Allure Sensuelle by Chanel

Sorry, this is a mish-mash of notes that really don't work well together...waterflorals, spice, and patchouli...it's a mess, by far the worst Chanel I've ever tried.

Paul Smith London for Women by Paul Smith

After sampling this, and thinking it was wonderful, I bought a bottle. After 2 days, I did'nt like it anymore. I found it stark. I also had trouble giving it away...didn't work for me at all.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Wow, I'm stunned to read so many neutral/negative reviews! The female L'Eau D'Issey has won over the noses (and hearts) of so many women AND men! I personally find this Pour Homme version very much like the original. The basic differences being the citrus/sage notes at the top and the base which seems to dry into more of a woodsy/musky tone. I do caution any wearer to use a light hand with this juice ~ it has excellent staying power! If overdone a raging headache will ensue! In my commentary of the original LDI, it's noted how this particular formulation of notes was a turning point in the world of fragrance. I find this to be true of male scents as well...just think how many of these notes have been immitated/incorporated in newer fragrances over the past 10-12 years! Wether you choose to wear this one or not, it is highly deserving of praise - a brilliant creation.

27 April, 2006

L'Eau D'Issey by Issey Miyake

At the time of its release, this glorious scent was groundbreaking! Over the years it has influenced SO MANY other fragrances...which is quite a compliment in itself! I still wear it, although not often. As time moves on, so do I ~ and my tastes of scent & personal expression move forward. L'Eau D'Issey was a turning point in the modern history of perfumery - forever to be praised!

27 April, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Christian Lacroix by Christian Lacroix

Sophia Grojsman - marvelously talented! I LOVE 'Nude' and 'Tresor' and 'Paris'...BUT...I do not like 'Christian Lacroix'. This CL scent comes off very bitter to me. For some reason unknown to me, this mix is completely un-attractive! Sorry.

True Star Gold by Tommy Hilfiger

Smelled a magazine sample of this and thought it was worthy of a real test run. I don't find it remarkable in any way. There are so many GREAT modern scents available, I don't see any reason to waste time with this sort of blase' concoction. Maybe someone else will find something worthwhile about True Star Gold.

Armani Code for Women by Giorgio Armani

This Asian inspired elixir is very nice! The orange flower melts into the ginger effortlessly. Basenotes of honey and sandalwood give a light warmth, not heavy or cloying at all. The woodsiness is only slightly sweet, and the entire potion never comes off too 'food-y'. Quite excellent in my opinion. Simple yet sophisticated, very wearable. If you enjoy wearing Armani Mania for women, this scent would be a great hot weather alternative for you. The bottle is an absolute work of art!

Crystal Noir by Versace

Crystl Noir is not a fragrance I'll choose to wear, but I do think it's excellent! There is no mistaking the gardenia/amber blend here, but it is not quite THAT simple. Strangely, when I spritzed this one on, the first scent I noticed was coconut!!! Very unusual, but not off putting by any means. Not the beachy variety ~ more like delectible and creamy. There was also a slight fruity - possibly citrus - note that made me smell pina colada! That phase lasted for awhile, making me feel like I was on a tropical vacation - out at a ritzy late night dance club, schmoozing with celebs! This scent felt more like an 'experience' than anything else. The amber is warm, the gardenia is sweet, and they compliment eachother perfectly! When you test this one, I hope it's fun for you too!

St John by St John

This floral oriental fragrance comes from the fashion designer by the same name. St John's clothing is sophisticated - and I think this fragrance has the same feel, however, it has a kind of 'stinky' top note & doesn't catch onto the "sophistication" until after the drydown. Not particularly modern. A bit cloying. I'll pass.

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

This chypre is light, yet deeply rich with the fragrance of honey, amber, woods, and egyptian musk. It lies close to the skin, making it more subtle. I noticed there are several bath products in this scent, and would imagine you could layer this fragrance to get stronger sillage or staying power that suits your taste.
    Sexy AND classy ~ breathtaking!

Still by Jennifer Lopez

An odd, stale smelling scent, obviously not a fragrance for me.

26 April, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Along the same lines as Annick Goutal's Eau De Hadrien...except Mugler Cologne has a musk base rather than the woods of EDH. I think it would be great to switch off between the two during the heat of summer ~ absolutely fresh, AND uni-sex!

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

Paris is a creation I've literally grown to love! When it comes to personal fragrance my opinions rarely change so dramatically, but here I am ~ a changed woman. The rose notes in this perfume are light and bright, not bitter in any way. Slightly dry, maybe - but in the most polite way. I also get a nice dose of sweet violet...reminding me of those square violet pastille candies of long ago. The drydown is clean, leaving only a trace of its earlier fresh cut summer bouquet as the musk & woods unify the entire blend. I truly believe my 'nose' has become better educated over the past year, and has acquired a greater appreciation of rose & violet notes in particular. Thankfully, I've been re-introduced to this gorgeous scent, it's a real beauty! I adore it.

26 April, 2006 (Last Edited: 26 June, 2007)

Very Valentino by Valentino

Bitter floral at the opening. Rose in the middle, quite nice. Probably one of the prettiest rose notes I've smelled. Takes awhile to get down to the base - but that's o.k., because the rose stays well throughout. This is a VERY pretty fragrance creation...although it's not for me.

Lulu Guinness by Lulu Guinness

*** CORRECTION *** Please note my previous commentary is actually for the fragrance "Cast A Spell" by Lulu Guiness - Currently not listed in Basenotes directory. Sorry for any confusion.

26 April, 2006 (Last Edited: 02 May, 2006)

Sicily by Dolce & Gabbana

On white paper - Sicily is all the wonderful things every previous reviewer has written! When I wear it, however, it goes a bit musty on my skin. Maybe I'll spray it on my sheets instead ~ it is truly a well crafted scent!

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

A sparkling youthful scent - fresh and modern! I particularly love the vetiver/patchouli base wich is very classy and gives great sillage to this perfume. (I also notice Dior's Miss Dior Cherie smells almost identical...hmmmmmm.) When I sampled this one, there were 2 young ladies - maybe aged 19-22 - ahead of me gushing over their love of Coco Mademoiselle. I personally prefer "COCO", but this is quite certainly a modern day success!

Heaven Sent (original) by Dana

Heaven Sent is a lost - but not forgotten - treasure! A spicy floral with a dry and powdery dry down...it makes me think of sparkling fairy dust, glimmering perfumed particles gently falling to earth ~ sort of magical! (I don't know what the re-vamped 2001 version smells like, I'll be sure to try it when I find it.) There is also an understated sweetness in this potion. Bath and Body currently makes a scent called "Moonlight Path" which is reminiscent of Heaven Sent. To me, it is ageless!

25 April, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)