Reviews by ubuandibeme

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Secret 66 Romance by Victoria's Secret

Lily of the valley here, light and fresh. A breath of spring! The shower gel is nice too.

22 April, 2006

Secret 55 Flirtation by Victoria's Secret

Secret 55 is one of those rare finds in the world of VS fragrance! It has a distinct evolution of citrus, to powdery sweet floral, to a warm yet light and airy sandalwood base...modern and sexy, and flirtatious!!! A delicious mix. There is a unique and wonderful note carried throughout that is unidentifiable to my untrained nose...I can only say it is warm without being too heavy. Creamy. To my knowledge, this wonderful scent has been discontinued - and what a pity! If you get the chance to sample it consider yourself lucky! Hopefully VS will re-visit Secret 55 in the future.

22 April, 2006

Hypnôse by Lancôme

This scent is advertised as a floral-oriental which gave me the notion it would be a heavier complex mix...but not so! This is a simple, light blend of passionflower & vanilla absolut with an airy sort of vetiver base. In fact, it's the nicest & most wearable feminine vetiver I've ever had the pleasure to spritz! I really like it! It's classy, refreshing, subtle - extremely wearable in any temperature...I would highly recommend giving this one a try.

21st April, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Very Sexy for Her by Victoria's Secret

I first smelled this on a waitress and asked her what fragrance she wore ~ tried it for myself and also recieved compliments and inquiries! I'd recommend the edp version combined with body wash or lotion for added staying power. It is actually quite fresh. The name doesn't ring true for me, but none the less a good scent. I especially like the topnotes which are very different.

21st April, 2006

Dream Angels Halo by Victoria's Secret

Strangely, this scent is spicy-clean! It reminds me very much of Very Sexy for her (the original)but with more spice. The top notes are a little sharp at first, but they mellow into the sandalwood base very nicely. Light and fresh ~ especially nice if you're not a big fan of traditional florals. I imagine this blend would appeal to a wide array of individuals.

21st April, 2006

Promesse by Cacharel

I've never really been a fan of Cacharel fragrances. Promesse is wearable though! It's subtle notes are well blended and fresh. Beginning with citrus and floral then muting them a bit with a woodsy base - just right for spring. As far as it's staying power or sillage, I think it would be the best type of floral for a scorching hot summer day or even a sticky humid evening.

05 April, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Ô de Lancôme by Lancôme

This scent is so much like Clarins' Eau Dynamisante fragrance treatment. I prefer Eau Dynamisante to this one, it has better staying power, more 'natural' smelling notes, and seems to keep more of the notes in balance over extended time. Definitely a great unisex product!

05 April, 2006

Ô Oui! by Lancôme

The waterlily and waterhyacinth come off a little bit sharp. Clean. This fragrance is overall citrus/green & slightly sweet - not particularly to my liking, but I can imagine some friends who would really enjoy this. In fact, if you wear Clinique's Happy - this one might suit your preference.

05 April, 2006

Je Reviens by Worth

Worth lists Je Reviens fragrance notes as:

Top notes of Jasmine, Orange Blossom, Ylang Ylang, Aldehydic notes. Heart notes of Jonquil and Narcissus. Smooth base of Amber, Violet, Sandalwood, Vetiver and Musk.

Today, this remains the only female fragrance currently in production by this design house. Created in 1932, it has withstood the test of time! Absolutely fresh and powdery! On me it dries down very soapy. Violet is one of those quirky notes ~ it is very finicky as to who can actually wear it well ~ but in this particular formulation, it is extremely friendly! There is also an undercurrent of spice which comes off very smooth. For some reason, my nose keeps catching cardamom! This definitely brings my spirit into summer, and I think it would be very wearable by men as well. The modern bottle doesn't impress me as much as the art deco style original...but it is unique.

04 April, 2006

Stella by Stella McCartney

For me, this deep rosey potion is not good. I must give credit for a very complex and interesting evolution, as it does have several distinct phases. (Because of this, I suggest you sample Stella awhile before deciding if it's "you".) On my skin, each series of notes was offensive with the heart notes being the least disgusting. On a more positive note, Stella Rose Absolute is a more wearable rose fragrance ~ I would recommend it above the original Stella.

04 April, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Lucky You for Women by Lucky Brand

A fruity floral with a base of sandalwood, amber and musk. The foral notes are aquatic and blend nicely with the powdery sandalwood in the base. My daughter likes this one in summer when she's not sure what to wear...I guess it's her good ole' standby! For me, it comes off too young. Along the lines of Tommy Girl. Light and fresh. A bit soapy. I'm really sort of in between on this one. I guess I can understand its appeal, but it's just not for me.

04 April, 2006

Sand & Sable by Coty

This smells exactly like a car air freshener my friend used to hang on the rear view mirror of her 1980's Pontiac Sunbird! Because of that association, I really can't imagine wearing it as a perfume. The only thing I can say is it's not completely offensive.

02 April, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Ex'cla.ma'tion by Coty

MUSTY! It reminds me of a dead rose pressed in between the pages of an old book.

01st April, 2006

Lauren by Ralph Lauren

Being the first Lauren fragrance for women, it seems to have the best composition effort put forth from this design house (in my opinion). It is an unusual combination of 'old fashioned' florals like violet, carnation and rose paired with top notes of green and base notes of wood. It is quite representive of the later 1970's when designer fashion really took hold amongst the masses! To this day I enjoy revisiting this scent. It 'wakes me up' and refreshes! I also love the bottle! (I must add, the newer reformulated juice is nowhere near the quality of the original - snag a vintage bottle, if you can!)

31st March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Hanae Mori (new / Butterfly) by Hanae Mori

Shocking to discover this lovely fragrance has no vanilla notes within...however, there is a strawberry/almond blend that gives a distinct vanilla aroma!!! It is exquisitely blended, the fruity berry notes and the gentle sweet florals combine effortlessly with a connecting base of sandalwood. A quality modern day potion, worthy of praise from this perfume lover!

30th March, 2006

Tuscany per Donna by Estee Lauder

Carnation is one of my most favorite floral notes - when done well. Too bad this Tuscany per Donna is not one of those. The spiciness of the carnation here is sharp and almost unrecognizable. It lacks depth, and I think it actually adds to the demise of this scent. Possibly due to the blend of other notes or poor quality product. The carnation I love is the one that shines in Caron's Bellodgia ~ spicy yet creamy smooth and soft. Also with peony listed in it's notes, I expected a softer more powdery drydown. And, yes, this concoction is some mighty powerful juice! I think the smell lingered for days...and for me...that was NOT a good thing.

30th March, 2006

Sex Appeal for Men by Jovan

30 years ~ must be something to it! I liked this one on a boy when I was in high school. On a recent trip to the grocery store, I saw it was still being sold so I sneaked a little sniff. I still sort of like it! Great memories!

29 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Vivid by Liz Claiborne

Marigold is one of the many notes in this fruit/floral arrangement. It ruins the whole scent for me...bitter, sharp, and cloying. Especially combined with tangerine...nasty combo! Thankfully, this one has been discontinued.

Nuit de Noël by Caron

Ernest Daltroff had extreme talent, as is proven in Nuit de Noel. This fragrance is everything the previous reviewers have written - and then some! The many notes (and there are many) in this complex creation are utterly seamless, as they transition one to another. It really doesn't matter if you choose to wear it, you should experience for yourself Daltroff's artistry and keen craftsmanship as Nuit de Noel is superb! I have tried the current formulation and the vintage stuff. The vintage stuff is what catapulted this fragrance into stardom as a Caron masterpiece...the newer juice - meh, only a speck of the original.

29 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Narcisse Blanc by Caron

A lighter, more simplistic Caron fragrance. Softer and a little sweet! Jasmine, orange blossom and rose are fresh. Understated elegance! I don't get along well with Narcisse Noir (much to my dismay) but Blanc and I have an excellent chemistry! If you are new to the fragrances of Caron, this would be a fine introduction for you!

Narcisse Noir by Caron

Dark incense with civet dominate. Sadly, this turns 'gamey' on my skin. Underneath that mutton like fleshy tone I can smell the gorgeous jasmine and orange blossom trying to gently force their way through the thickness. If the darker side of this fragrance worked with my chemistry NN would be an excellent perfume. Lucky for me ~ Narcisse Blanc came along (eleven years after Noir) and is free from the civet and heavy incense. The Blanc version is lighter, brighter, and softer - I prefer it.

En Avion by Caron

The powdery wooded base jumps up to meet the topnotes right from the start! It gently settles back down to allow the fowers their share of the spotlight. Rose and carnation - spicey and ever so slightly sweet - really stand out for me. As time goes by, the entire scent really mellows. There is a certain sense of quiet confidence En Avion imparts to the wearer. More approachable than Tabac Blond ~ yet rich and classy!

28 March, 2006

Tabac Blond by Caron

87 years after it's birth, I am fortunate to have obtained a small decanted sample of this legendary icon! It is rich, leathery, smoky, dry, thick and creamy~spicy! Carnation is one of my all time favorite floral notes, happily noticed after the long drydown of this blend. I love a complex scent with depth and can wear quite a range of fragrances well...BUT...this Tabac Blond is just too big for me!!! I don't know how else to say it. After applying a few drops of this liquid gold, I felt like a child who had sneaked into her mother's room and stole a squirt of her 'grown ups only' perfume! Silly isn't it? Honestly though, I have been put in my place and will continue wearing my self appropriated girly girl scents! Thank goodness for Bellodgia, and my flowery Fleur de Rocaille! Caron is the VERY BEST, and Tabac Blond only confirms my opinion.

28 March, 2006

Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez

I can confidently say this fragrance is 'world class'! Read all the previous reviews - especially calchic's commentary - and you'll get an idea of the importance of this creation. Bal a Versailles is an icon in the craft of perfumery. It is a MUST TRY scent...along with Chanel No. 5, YSL's Opium, and a few other standouts by Guerlain, Caron, & Givenchy! I have yet to read or hear a negative comment regarding the chemistry of this treasure...wether it expresses your inner self or not, you will surely appreciate Bal a Versaille's beauty and wonder!

27 March, 2006

Chance by Chanel

In addition to the above listed notes, Chanel's Chance also includes: White musk, Citrus, Iris, Hyacinth, Pink pepper, and Amber. In my opinion, there are too many leading ladies in this mix!!! The best part of Chance for me is the pink pepper which adds a subtle spiciness. Otherwise I find the notes competing against eachother for centerstage. Annoying. (Maybe it has to do with the fact my sister-in-law wore this fragrance - in excess - for a few months.) Sorry, no appreciation for this one.

27 March, 2006

Fantasy by Britney Spears

I can't imagine who's 'fantasy' this might be.....
    Willie Wonka's???? Disgustingly sweet.

26 March, 2006

Pleasures by Estée Lauder

A real grown up floral. All about the sillage - it's just right! I really get the lilies and peonies here too! Pleasures is the snowy floral perfection that Gucci's Envy Me (pink) and McClintock's Number 3 failed to attain. The balance from top to bottom is exquisite! For the many floral notes this fragrance contains it never comes off too sweet, too powdery or too dry. Lauder fans and foes should give this one a try, it's very wearable.

26 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 23 July, 2008)

Private Collection by Estée Lauder

The green notes and pine in Private Collection are too pungent for my senses. Ayala's review is superb, and I think I know the "bug" she's refering to. When I was growing up, we called it a 'stink bug' (ha!) I guess it is an appropriate moniker. {Lauder's Alliage has this same effect for me.} I like Private Collection so much better after the drydown! It is truly a CLASSY elixir! I used to know a woman who's signature scent was PC - her business was in the fashion world and she was always dressed to perfection! She was a true socialite, and whenever I smell this fragrance her image is immediately brought to mind! For this reason, I have never felt comfortable wearing PC, although I find it to be an absolute wonder!

26 March, 2006

Pheromone by Marilyn Miglin

I find takemyhusbandplz's review very interesting! Neat to know those bits of fragrance trivia...anyways...Pheromone is not for me either. Very different blend. If you are not a real flower lover, this might work very well for you. It's been around since 1978, so I gather there are many fans.

24 March, 2006

Abercrombie & Fitch by Abercrombie & Fitch

This casual scent is watery and sharp. It is simple and straight forward, bearing no complexity or depth. Smells fresh scrubbed and squeaky clean. If you're looking to purchase a gift for a girl aged 12-17 this might be just right.

22 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)