Reviews by ubuandibeme

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Dior Addict 2 by Christian Dior

First off I need to vent my frustration at the name Dior Addict 2 - this scent is NOTHING like the original Dior Addict. Since it is completely different, why not a different name? Am I the only one irritated?!?! Enough of my rant...let's get to the juice. Breaking down this mix was fairly simple for my formally uneducated nose. First drops on the skin were citrus and bergamot...then we got to the florals - freesia and waterlily. Finally, a powdered sandalwood underneath it all. My personal taste finds it very young, even 'playful'. Wearing this fragrance gives me the same feeling as Tommy Girl. It's not really what I want to wear. My daughter likes this one very much though, so I guess it's Addict for me and Addict 2 for her!

Eternity Moment by Calvin Klein

Chinese pink peony is one of the listed fragrance notes for Eternity Moment - and I think that's what attracted me to it. Quite a different flower note. Wore this one for a couple of months and then suddenly did'nt care for it any longer. I'd advise obtaining a sample on this one and wear it a few times before purchasing - as the "moment" might fade.

Tommy Girl by Tommy Hilfiger

I find Tommy Girl to be bright and lively, but there's also something sharp - almost biting to my senses. Among it's many fragrance notes, I am unable to distinguish the specific offender...I much prefer to notice this scent on someone else.

Very Irrésistible by Givenchy

I love the bottle, I love the ads with Liv Tyler, I love the name...BUT...when I spray it on, it was a big zero. For me, very blase'. Also, faded quickly.

Elysium by Clarins

Clarins produces some of the best natural skin care products I've tried. I also have enjoyed their Eau Dynamisante treatment fragrance...sooooo I was all set to love elysium, but it wasn't meant to be. A seemingly innocent fruity floral that went rotten with my chemistry. I ended up smelling like an over-ripe honeydew trying to cover my stench with musk...yuk! I am giving this scent a neutral because I truly believe this fragrance will fare better on most other people - and my sad experience is probably unique. No love connection here!

Eternity by Calvin Klein

This scent is pungent & unnatural to my senses. I've tried it a few different times but am always disappointed.

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

Lovely is fantastic! The individual notes of this blend are all very subtle. I might say it's casually sophisticated. Appropriate for ANY occasion, I find this to be wearable by the masses. (Women & Men) Delicate fruit notes blend effortlessly into muted florals - which include lavender - AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH - drydown elicits the slightest patchouli layered with the perfect notes of musk and cedarwood. Not a single note is overdone - the entire evolution is clean & clear. BTW I have not detected any vanilla in this arrangement. Exquisitely done!

Ralph by Ralph Lauren

My daughter wore this for about 1 week - thankfully she stopped! Too much EVERYTHING for me - very potent. Also seems 'unnatural'.

Oscar by Oscar de la Renta

This Oscar is a garden bouquet sweet and spicy, actually peppery! The peppery part dries down more on the powdery side...nicely orchestrated fragrance! Just a sniff off the bottle sends me back in time - during the late 70's & early 80's there wasn't a woman around who hadn't tried this one for herself. This perfume is my favorite of all the De La Renta's.

Happy by Clinique

I have two friends who wear this fragrance exclusively ~ and they always smell fresh, clean and sweet. I put it on and it's 'instant headache.' The citrus top notes are juicy and bright as sunshine. The drydown is basically a non-event...but leaves a trail of light floral freshness. I've tried to enjoy this scent but I'm only happy when wearing something else!

17 March, 2006

K de Krizia by Krizia

K de Krizia is deep with an abundance of moss. The lighter floral topnotes succomb to the moss and amber...leaving a very dry somewhat powdery feeling. Slight traces of vanilla are detectable in this mix. I might also call it a warm fragrance. It is unique, though I prefer to admire it from afar as it's tonality doesn't represent "me".

16 March, 2006

Alliage by Estée Lauder

I have real mixed feelings here. The peach and jasmine combined with pine are not good at all. It starts out just plain stinky for me. However, after the drydown - about 20-30 minutes after - I'm loving the vetiver & oakmoss combo! The greens really melt down to a mild essence that is outdoor fresh. This fragrance is very unisex - in fact, I think I might prefer it on a man!!!

16 March, 2006

Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert by Bulgari

Reminds me of a spa. Cool, refreshing, relaxing...For me, this is a spring/summer scent. The green tea note is very prominent.

15 March, 2006

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

I keep trying this one because other people have smelled so great wearing it...on me it just keeps a cloying rose note followed by a heavy (and I mean HEAVY - like grandma's fruit cake) patchouli. Overwhelming in a bad, bad way. The only way I'll enjoy this potion is on some passer-by.

15 March, 2006

DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan

Should have added carmel, vanilla and almond to the apple note (instead of all those flowers) ~ now THAT would Be Delicious!!! I've smelled this on some younger women, and it's fresh & fruity - just not very distinctive.

14 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Island Kiss by Escada

Tropical fruit, sweet and juicy! (Not a personal fave but I can certainly appreciate the fine skills used to devise such a scent.) Top notes are bright and fresh. Authentic fruit aroma. The drydown brings a soapiness that sends this fragrance into the "shampoo" category. If this one comes in a shower gel it would be wonderful! I would love it as a body wash. As for a personal fragrance - I'll pass.

14 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Sandalwood by Caswell-Massey

Caswell-Massey produces this fine fragrance in a wide array of products - each one as lovely as the next! I particularly enjoy the soap or shower gel in the summer months, and recommend the lotion too! This makes a fantastic vacationers scent - perfect on a man OR woman ~ or even a little tyke! Takes the heat well, and is suprisingly refreshing.

Wind Song by Prince Matchabelli

One of the few times I've hated a scent which includes carnation...I wish I could rescue that poor unfortunate carnation from this musky mess! Sorry. Every bit of floral, fruit, green and musk in this creation rubs against my grain. I honestly don't know how it has sold even a single bottle.

Love's Baby Soft by Love's

At the tender age of 12, this was my first fragrance purchase. All my own! My girlfriends were given Avon's Sweet Honesty by their sisters, mothers, aunts and what have you...but I never liked the smell of that one. Love's Baby Soft ended up scenting my dresser drawer liners, stationary, and anything else I could 'mark' with 'my scent'! After this one, I graduated to Love's Fresh Lemon and then to Heaven Sent. Each has truly claimed a place within me and I'm instantly transported there again and again by a mere whiff!

Lapidus pour Homme by Ted Lapidus

Whenever I've smelled this scent, on anyone, it has always been overbearing! Just being near someone wearing it leaves me with the smell & taste of this wretched cologne for hours. Hideous!

JHL by Aramis

JHL is one of my all time favorites ~ Any man interested in wearing a floral frag, or interested in a note of cinnamon, JHL is it! I interpret it as the male version of Cinnabar.

13 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Eau Dynamisante by Clarins

This 'treatment fragrance' is refreshing. The patchouli base is slight - only enough to bind the citrus and herbs together. I've found it matures differently on me depending on the weather - sometimes the green essenses win out over the citrus and vice versa - but I've never found it offensive in any way. Very much a unisex product. * I've tried the shower gel and don't care for it much.

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

This scent is sooooo dry, whenever I smell it, I need a big glass of water!

Diva by Ungaro

Thank you Calchic ~ your reviews are always premium quality! The only things I can add are: The staying power of Diva is excellent and the packaging is simply elegant!

Curve for Women by Liz Claiborne

Curve for women is very consumer popular and it is sold almost everywhere! I'm not one to 'poo-poo' any scent ~ even the most mass marketed drugstore brands! So, I tried it. Curve (on me) smells like windex. I've admired it on a friend, but on me it's not the same. When I read the list of fragrance notes I was very suprised; as I don't detect any complexity or much harmonic blending in this scent. On a more positive note - I also tried "Curve Crush" and LOVED IT! Crush has a very dominant lavender/vanilla note that I find very lovely! Claiborne has created several versions/spin-offs of Curve - Including a scent for the men - there might be one just right for you, basically inexpensive, so go ahead and try them! {By the way, Claiborne's packaging is so 1990's, and the script on the bottle is catchy!}

Trésor (new) by Lancôme

Tresor is truly one of my most favorite perfumes of all time. In an interview with Sophia Grojsman (the nose behind this treasure) she mentions her main idea/notes of Tresor as being Rose and Apricot; which is quite obvious at first sniff of this juice. The rose is somewhat spicy as well as silky, like rose petals. The apricot sweet & a bit musky, creating the essence of Tresor which remains throughout the entire evolution of this fragrance. What's in the middle is not readily obvious, but essential to the magnificent progression and drydown. Muguet, or Lily of The Valley, lends a palate cleansing quality to this blend. The touch of green imparted by this delicate flower is ever so slight, but a key element in the balancing act. Lilac of course is a highly sweet floral, which I believe adds the 'kick it up a notch' sweetness - moreso than the gerneralized 'peach note' I've read so many reviewers comment about. Apricot Blossom ~ now here's an element contributing to that sparkling quality! Along with lovely Heliotrope and powdery Iris, this triple treat actually carbonates Tresor. For me, it's like champagne bubbles! Without that signature sparkling effervesence Tresor would be nothing more than plain old kool-aid.

Sillage & longevity of Tresor are remarkable. The tenacity of this composition, and the prolonged drydown are utterly and captivatingly sensual. Romantic, in an emotional manner. Not the emotions of adolesence though...more worldly and experienced. When you finally get to the roots of this blend, you'll be rewarded with a close wearing, sexy finish. The base is simply the most gorgeous blend of Amber, Musk, Sandalwood and Vanilla I've ever experienced. As CALCHIC wrote; the drydown of my dreams! So true!

13 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 28 May, 2007)

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

I can only describe this fragrance as:

Dr. Scholls Footpowder

Sorry.

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

Light Blue by D & G is definitely a citrus-cedar scent. I can't believe it's not marketed as unisex - as I would much prefer this fragrance on my husband! The lemony top notes drydown to a lovely cedarwood base. Not heavy in any way. The name for this one is very appropriate!

Wild Musk by Coty

Coty Wild Musk is IMO the nicest musk available! It is warm and ever so slightly sweet. I find Jovan's musk to turn 'a little gamey' on me, but Coty's stays soft and sexy! Next time you're in the drugstore, check your pockets for some loose bills and give this musk a go - it's an inexpensive but unbeatable retro treat!

J'Adore by Christian Dior

This fragrance leaves me flat...nothing special here. Begining Middle and End ~ Blah Blah Blah. There are many other scents with distinct personalities, Ja'dore is mediocre at best.

13 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)