Reviews by ubuandibeme

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

No. 5 by Chanel

This masterpiece has had so much written about it over the years...I can only add that I love it. Chanel made a Number 5 Voile in the early 90's that was so light and lovely - especially for the summers' heat - I wish it was still available. Everyone should experience the 'Number 5' legend for themselves!

13 March, 2006

Nude by Bill Blass

Ladylonestar and calchic have both written accurate reviews of this underrated treasure. This scent somehow reminds me of YSL's Rive Gauche ~ probably the aldehydes ~ although the drydown is just ever so slightly sweet and very crisp. VERY fresh and clean. The staying power is incredible as well. Mossy but not green. I wore this for many years. Close friends and family members thought 'I just always smelled nice'. (As if my own chemistry could smell so good!!!) They never new it was NUDE until I switched fragrances!!! Suddenly they said 'you smell different...' My point being: Nude is a potion that compliments one's own personal chemistry. It is sort of "all American" in the clean & fresh genre. If you have the opportunity to try this one, please do.

13 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

Calvin Klein takes alot of flack regarding their fragrances, and I'm certainly not one of their biggest fans...BUT...I do like Euphoria. The name doesn't click for me. I think it should have been called 'Angel Obsession'! Why you ask? Simply because it has the very best notes from Mugler's Angel and Klein's Obsession blended together in this single fragrance. At first spritz it's totally Angel. During drydown it morphs into a 21st century Obsession. I really like this one! With such mixed reviews, you need to try Euphoria for yourself.

12 March, 2006

Armani Mania for Women by Giorgio Armani

The review by RoseAmber hits this fragrance square on! My daughter has worn it throughout the winter, and it's just terrific on her...not cloying or heavy at all. The warm woodsiness lasts. The bottle is very plain - streamlined - but should compliment any type of decor!

11th March, 2006

Fleurs de Bulgarie (new) by Creed

Creed is one fragrance house I've not had any luck with. I WANT TO find a great Creed scent for myself but my search must continue...Fleurs de Bulgarie begins with the most incredibly authentic bularian rose note but it quickly fades, becoming acidic and causing gag reflex. Just to make sure it wasn't me, I asked my daughter to take a whiff of my wrist and she said ~ "EWWWWWWWWW, what is that? It's disgusting!" Sorry.

11th March, 2006

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

Eternity for Men in my mind is an all-purpose sort of scent. It's a manly blend that doesn't shout at you...more subtle, like - 'hey, I'm clean and put together, ready for whatever' - a good ol' standby! I especially like the assorted herbal notes that drydown to a solid trustworthy base of sandalwood, vetiver and amber. Very nice and dependable indeed.

10th March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

Thumbs WAY UP for Annick Goutal's Eau D'Hadrien! In the extreme heat of summer, this is true refreshment. I spend alot of time at the beach, and there is no better feeling than wearing this bright, lively fragrance while out in the mid-day sun - OR - after being out in a scorcher; coming home to shower and spritz on this re-energizing tonic!!! The citrus lemon is pure, light, and not sweet. Just clean summer freshness. Ahhhhhhhhh, I can hear the waves crashing already.

Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent

Rive Gauche (2003 version) in my opinion is not much different from the original, launched in 1971. The current product lists Aldehydes - Rose - Oakmoss - Vetiver in its notes. For some reason I can never isolate the rose in it! Rive Gauche is not a recommendation for anyone having a serious aversion to aldehydes...you would most definitely not appreciate this scent...now that's out of the way, to the rest of you I say "dive right in" this mix of softness is actually sharp!?! Very clean. I would also think of this as a unisex fragrance...kind of suprised they bothered with a male formulation. Wonderful year around scent. It takes heat very well.

10th March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Lacoste pour Femme by Lacoste

I like this in the heat of summer, Lacoste pour femme really keeps its freshness. I'd classify it as a mildly/sweetly spiced floral. If you are at the waterpark, beach, picnic, tennis match, or anywhere else that might find you 'glowing' (aka: sweating) this scent won't turn nasty on you! I've also used their roll on deodorant which also receives a thumbs up.

Tubérose Indiana by Creed

When I first applied this fragrance it smelled as if my nose were smack dab in the middle of the most sweet and dewy rose...after about 15 minutes it smelled exactly like White Shoulders. For the money, I'd go with the White Shoulders.

Dior Addict by Christian Dior

Bulgarian Rose
    Bourbon Vanilla Absolute
    Mysore Sandalwood
    Tonka Bean

On the one year anniversary of my initial sampling of ADDICT, I'm writing a "sequel" on this magnificent fragrance which has become my signature! Oriental in composition, this perfume is sensual with a capital "S"! Each note is exquisitely blended, each commanding it's share of the spotlight. Slightly spicy, sweet, almost incense-like in it's opening, ADDICT slowly and steadily drys down to a richly warm, sexy smooth base that projects just the right amount of sillage. Womanly. I can't imagine any man pulling this one off! I wear it with such comfort. When I'm dog tired of sampling fragrances that leave me flat, unsatisfied, and dissapointed I return to this magical blend; it feels like home. I'm not too suprised at the mixed reviews. ADDICT is not for everyone. (Thankfully, I must admit!) But it is for me. Hopefully you will be as lucky. THUMBS WAY UP! As a side note, the shower gel, deodorant and body lotion are all excellent. They are true to the scent and very worth their price in quality!

10th March, 2006 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2007)

Poison by Christian Dior

Like a bowl full of blackberries drizzled with honey, this potion is nectar sweet - and men just seem to be attracted to it! I always come back to a little Poison now and again. The most wearable formulation is the Esprit de Parfum, and only a dab - Brilliant!

10th March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Tiffany by Tiffany

The orange, jasmine and rose notes in this creation play on my skin as a replica of Giorgio. I find this combination a bit too sweet and very "old 80's". In all fairness, when I sniff this juice from the bottle it smells much more lovely than when I wear it...chalk it up to chemistry!

09 March, 2006

Coco by Chanel

It's been awhile since Coco has graced my pulse points. Having just re-purchased yet another glorious bottle, I'm here to tell you; Coco is the ultimate classic. Specifically, the EDP. There is a world of difference between the EDT & EDP versions. Coco Eau De Parfum is a multitude of precious essenses fused seamlessly into a single luxurious golden elixir. In comparison, the EDT seems stark - lacking some of the stunning sweetness & warming quality of it's sister. If you are looking to try a timeless classic fragrance, one that exudes strength and femininity; please try Coco, and let it be the EDP! THUMBS WAY UP!

I've since added the EDT to my collection as well, it is perfect for when a lighter/brighter form of the fragrance is desired ~ I'm learning!

08 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Ma Griffe by Carven

I can almost taste this one! It is very heavy, in a syrupy sort of way. Reminds me of eating baklava with Greek style coffee - thick as mud - exotic! The cinnamon is very pronounced. (I think one of my great aunts used to wear this...seems I remember it from childhood somehow.) I think everyone should sample this globally renown scent ~ but I'm not sure how many will actually wear it. Extremely unusual.

08 March, 2006

Fleurs de Rocaille by Caron

This Caron classic is quite lovely. I detect a spiced rose here - drydown is powdery and remains floral. Easy to see why it has held such popularity over the years. So many seem to prefer it over the Fleur de Rocaille - however I am not one! Fleur de Rocaille is much more suited to my personality and the current fashion trends for women. What I miss in this blend is the crisp green note that leaves a fresh feeling. If you are not a fan of this 'Fleurs', then you probably will like 'Fleur' and vice versa. Personal preferences aside, this is a top quality timeless feminine fragrance.

08 March, 2006

Angel Garden Of Stars - Peony Angel by Thierry Mugler

This Peony Angel is wearable!!! The original Angel, along with the Violet and Lily versions are simply too sweet for my chemistry or liking. Taking out the overpowering chocolate, caramel berry notes and adding the gentle flower bouquet makes this scent GREAT for me!

Angel Garden Of Stars - The Lily Angel by Thierry Mugler

Still a little too sweet. Angel Peony is still the nicest of the garden IMO

Angel Garden Of Stars - Violet Angel by Thierry Mugler

Still too sweet...almost as sweet as the original Angel, only in a bizarre floral way.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

This fragrance is so very unique! I am one of the unfortunates who cannot wear it well. When I get a whiff of Angel on someone else, it's intoxicating...however, after about 30 minutes of his on my own skin, I smell like I've stuck a chocolate bar under each arm ~ not pretty! It just seems 'too much' for me to wear for any length of time. If this original Angel is not to your liking, I suggest trying the floral Angel's. I'm in love with the patchouli base! The drydown is sexy - in an angelic way! Oh yeah, my husband really likes it too.

05/2008 update :

Finally, I have found enjoyment in wearing this treasure...it's called EXTRAIT! Just a dab, lasts all day long! Absolutely stunning! The great thing about Angel is there are so many options available ~ you just need to spend some time finding the way to wear it that works best for you! Now I can love wearing this one along with the rest of you!

07 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 May, 2008)

Marc Jacobs by Marc Jacobs

This is a very straight forward light floral. It is very "nectar-like", sweet without a firm base. I believe it has some musk, which is not readily apparent...wished it had something more to offer on the drydown. If you are attracted to sweet florals - plain and simple - this might be nice for you.

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

Bravo to calchic for her excellent review of YSL's Opium! In addition, there is a noteable spicy carnation topping this glorious blend. In a strange and wonderful way it reminds me of Bellodgia by Caron (which I love). Although they are very different scents, their carnation commonality really shines through for me. This is surely one of the finest fragrance creations you'll ever experience.

06 March, 2006

Number 3 by Jessica McClintock

Years back, I used to like this one alot. Since becoming familiar with superior floral frags, I cannot stomach this smell anymore. If I want a crisp, bright floral with tenacity I will definitely choose Lauder's original Pleasures over this!

06 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Samsara by Guerlain

Samsara is exotic! A brilliant combination of spicy sweet floral and woods, it reminds me of burning incense. After wearing Samsara, the sandalwood overpowers my senses and I wish it were more subdued. My husband likes this one more than I do. A man could easily pull this one off. I believe it is a scent worth trying.

Tabu by Dana

I love this stuff! Tabu is one of my most favorite fragrances of all time. It is best in it's original vintage form, and in the cologne concentration - which amazingly has sillage & longevity to spare! It is dusty/musty and honey sweet, with a world rocking patchouli in the base. Funny thing too, is of all the scents I've worn over the years, Tabu never fails to garner compliments! True, it can come across a bit "loose" or even "whoreish" ~ but it is stunningly attractive. I'm quite certain my fragrance wardrobe will never be without it!

Obsession by Calvin Klein

In my opinion, Obsession is one of the all-time best American fragrances ever created! I don't particularly jump out of my skin for most other Calvin Klein scents...but this one is truly a jewel! It is the essence of 1985 and has captured that special place in time the way no other fragrance possibly could. I remember wearing it faithfully throughout the later 1980's. It always garnered compliments from men whenever I wore it! It just so happens my mother fell in love with Obsession too! Actually, she wore it exclusively for about 15 years! Her signature scents over the years have been Tabu, Ciara, Charlie (original) and - Obsession. If it didn't have such a dated place in my mind, I might spritz some on today. It's quite good, especially for a designer scent.

Par Amour Toujours by Clarins

The top note of this young and sweet fragrance is 'candy conversation hearts'! ULTRA sweet! Shortly after wrist testing I washed with soap and water. Took another whiff...wow...it's nice! The base notes of this lovely fragrance are delicate. Reminds me of Clarins Elysium. Still, they've hit their target market: girls first attempt at wearing fragrance. Sweetly done!

04 March, 2006

Ligea "La Sirena" by Carthusia

Initially, this reminds me so much of Mitsouko. Could be wearable by men or women...the drydown morphs it into a powdery vanilla base ~ softer and sweeter than Mitsouko, and more like Shalimar! Very subtle in the beginning, then it swells with intensity to a sweet vanillic opoponax. Ligea is a shape-shifter, and like SirSlarty said, can create a darkened mood. Funny, because Mitsouko does that on me too! I find this fragrance highly intriguing. The way it ends up on my skin is like a much more wearable, vanilla version of Montales' Sweet Oriental Dream.

04 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 23 June, 2009)

Organza by Givenchy

The bottle of this givenchy gem is quite elegant, as is the perfume itself. Honeysuckle and gardenia gently sweeten its smoldering sultry base of nutmeg vanilla and amber. I find Organza to be absolutely an evening fragrance. Rich and very different. I have noticed people occasionally wearing this as a daytime/casual scent which totally puts me off! There is a time and place for everything ~ including Organza!

04 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Ysatis by Givenchy

Floriental ~ soapy and strong! Heady floral notes with a base including patchouli. Not particularly my favorite to wear although it's a wonderful Givenchy perfume!

04 March, 2006