Reviews by ubuandibeme

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Miss Rocaille by Caron

This is a fresh green floral. Light and playful! At first, the green was reminiscent of Estee Lauder's 'Alliage'. Miss Rocaille is quite a bit lighter and fluttery than Alliage - which I remember to be quite heavy in comparison. This fragrance brings to mind spring and youth. I'll have to dab some on before planting my annual flowers this year!

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

This scent is very nice! Understated and manly in a modern way. Got a sample for my husband, it was a good fragrance on him however, there was no staying power...his body seemed to 'soak it up' he had to keep re-applying. Would put us in the poor house to try and keep him smelling like GIT!!! If you are one for a VERY subtle scent or new to the world of men's fragrance this could be just right for you!

Angélique Encens by Creed

The first time I tried this scent evolved into a 'gamey' sort of baby powder on me...weird. I've since re-visited Angelique Encens and find it quite unique & interesting. It is powdery, with the vanillic/almond overture of angelica. There is a subtle incense in the base that doesn't exactly 'trip my trigger', and blame it as the culprit for my not purchasing this frag. AE is difficult to find as well. For my own personal taste/chemistry, Guerlain's Angelique Noire is a better presentation of angelica - sans incense. I cannot fault this Creed though, it is at least worthy of a test run!

03 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Pour Une Femme (new) by Caron

The packaging of this fragrance reminds me of Youth Dew's bottle, by Estee Lauder. This one is not a personal favorite. At first whiff my senses were bombarded by a strong medicinal smell. Probably benzoin. I don't know why perfumers use this stuff. Must be a reason beyond my comprehension. Anyway, as the drydown goes - it melted quickly into a heavy amber resin that merely layed upon my skin. I cannot wear this one. It is not my fragrance in any way. With all that being said...it IS Caron...so I defer to the reputation of this design house and give it a neutral rating.

Lady Caron by Caron

First I'd like to say Lady Caron is a wonderful tribute to the United States and it's symbol of her founding principals - The Statue of Liberty. (Also known as "Lady Liberty") This limited edition was launched in the year 2000, and it has come to be one of the most requested fragrances of Caron.

The scent itself is quite sweet with magnolia dominating. Jasmine is right up there at the top as well. The heartnotes are a bit softer and less sweet, but never really balance out the predominant top. After drydown, I was left with a 'green' essence - too sharp for my taste. None the less, this chypre is delightful and may be most enjoyable in the warmer months when a little sweet freshness goes a long way.

Fleur de Rocaille by Caron

Fleur de Rocaille (1993) is one of my most favorite fragrances! It is a complex flowery bouquet with a touch of green at the top...dries down to a comfortable feminine veil of softness. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! When I wear this 'I feel pretty, oh so pretty' (ha!) Seriously, I spritz this one on and feel like a million bucks! Just like when you find the perfect pumps and matching handbag for a brand new spring ensemble...fantastic! Caron is simply the best.

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

Fierce by Abercrombie & Fitch is obviously the product of a marketing whiz. The scent itself is basic; you will probably either love it or hate it. So what's the deal?

Being the mother of a trend loving, hormones raging, fashion forward 17 year old daughter I have learned first hand about Fierce. A&F employees (all late teens - early 20's) liberally spray Fierce throughout the entire store. (A corporate directive.) This creates a 'conditioning' of association. When you smell Fierce - Abercrombie pops into your brain. Along with their loud hyper-bass repeating soundtrack and 'I'm so hot but a little too cool for you' attitude...their image is created, in fact, indelibly etched into your senses. You see, the more senses involved in your shopping experience, the better chance consumers will remember that shop with the blue awnings! It works. In fact, as my daughter and I were shopping in Bloomingdales ~ an attractive young man passed by. My daughter took a deep breath and declared "MMMMMMMMMMMMM, he smells like Abercrombie!"

I say if you need a gift for a 17-24 year old guy, fierce would probably be a safe choice! If you are wondering what this frangrance actually smells like - head for your nearest mall and walk by the A&F doorway, inhale, you'll know immediately!

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

Old Spice is user friendly. I find it's a blend that can be enjoyed by many, especially young men first venturing into the world of fragrance. For me, it will always be the scent of my grandpa - as he never wore any other.

Romance by Ralph Lauren

I wore this fragrance during my last pregnancy. It was the only scent that didn't sicken me. I found it very fresh and lasting. I think the marigold and lychee gave it a nice tang and kept the top & heart notes from being overly sweet and flowery. About a month or so after my son was born, I put some Romance on and was totally repulsed. It was waaaaaaaay too overpowering and went completely acidic on my skin. Boy oh boy, chemistry is everything! I enjoyed it for about 7 months.

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

This blend of sweet spices and floral - AND vetiver - is magic! Not typical by any means. I must disagree with some of the previous comments ~ the anise and licorice notes are amazingly good. It comes off less sweet than Angel ~ not trying to be a 'clone' ~ and it's very wearable. What an ingenious blend! I've tried it several times now and grow to love it more with each application. This one is worth the full bottle. Which by the way is a treasure all it's own!

02 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 30th June, 2008)

Mitsouko by Guerlain

I immediately fell in love with this one...it melded into my skin instantly, as if it was part of my own DNA. The blend of notes is smooth and refined. Most definitely a classic masterpiece by Guerlain! Although my olfactory was completely satisfied with Mitsouko, I don't feel it was an accurate expression of my personality. I will wear it on occasion, but not on an everyday basis.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Bulgari Black is an original - with a capital "O"! Black tea, wood notes and vanilla steam off of the sandalwood, amber, musky base. VERY SEXY! This scent is earthy and dry with a warm edgy feel. Not overpowering ~ strictly subtle. The bottle is also an original, and seems to be aimed more toward the men, although it has come to be known as a uni-sex fragrance. This is my favorite on my husband ~ I think he's on his fourth bottle! Undoubtedly worth a try!

01st March, 2006

Moschino Couture! by Moschino

This definitely has a fruity-peppery aura with a strong cedarwood base. Different! I don't care for it on myself, but on my daughter it's good.

01st March, 2006

Petite Chérie by Annick Goutal

Petite Cherie is a disappointment. I found it quite bitter. After applying this scent, I smelled like a extra dry vodka martini...not being a martini lover, I was totally put off. Would rather a margarita or glass of reisling.

This was my review, from a sample gone bad...I've since sampled a fresh bottle and find Petite Cherie to be a light, bright, fruity refresher! It is simple and youthful. Resonates at a high pitch. I still don't care to wear it, but am glad to have clarified my opinion.

01st March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Miss Dior Chérie (original) by Christian Dior

Very fruity, fresh and sweet. Strawberry, grapefruit, mandarine come across loud and clear. First impression: for the younger fragrance wearer, perfect for spring! My 17 year old daughter snagged the sample from my dresser and declared it 'her new scent' ~ need I say more?

28 February, 2006

Shalimar by Guerlain

Shalimar is a timeless wonder. I have smelled it on others, and taken an extra deep breath for it's beauty. To my nose, the modern formula smells like the scent used in disposable diapers. Sort of a light, powdery vanilla. Ew, gross! Fortunately, I did not stop my sample quest there. I obtained some mid 1960's vintage Shalimar Extrait and it has made all the difference! The scent of that 40year+ extrait is completely gorgeous! Rich, warm and intoxicating. I cannot imagine what has happened to the original over the years, if you ask me it is a crime! My thumb is turned upward - but for the original only.

27 February, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

L'Interdit (new) by Givenchy

Givenchy has produced many of my favorites, and L'Interdit is certainly one! Originally created for Audrey Hepburn in the mid to late 1950's, it was re-released (slightly altered I believe) in 2002. The top notes are definitely ALDEHYDE!!! They dominate - speaking loudly as if to say "Hey, pay attention here, something wonderful is brewing!". The reward for your attention is a multi fruit and floral blend with spice - probably carnation, which I love. This symphony of flowers and fruits (maybe even some vetiver?) crescendo into a powdery softness, that never loses it's spice. When wearing this scent, I have always received compliments! From men & women, young & old! I haven't found many who choose to wear it though...I guess one would have to have a distinct preference for the blend of this unique elixir! (as an added note, I prefer the original, but also appreciate this reformulated version)

27 February, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Champs-Elysées by Guerlain

Champs-Elysees is a masterfully blended floral who's popularity has withstood the test of time. Top notes of rose come across sweet and light, not heavy at all. This floral is quite transparent and yet has excellent staying power. Perfect fragrance choice for warm weather ~ bring on the heat! Another odd point to be made: when I apply Champs-Elysees, my spirit is lightened. Happiness and smiles come so easily...how can you not love that!

26 February, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Jaïpur Saphir by Boucheron

Admittedly, when I see a fragrance packaged with blue ~ my senses prepare for either marine or water floral tones. What a pleasant suprise Saphir is! Immediately, there is a strong fruity/spicey top note that quickly dries down to the soft and powdery sandalwood/vanilla blend. A subtle (and I mean very subtle) floral bouquet lasts throughout. It is quite nice. Perfect for everyday wear. I can see this fragrance gaining wide appeal. Not particularly long lasting. Although it's cool weather now, I'm looking forward to spritzing this one on during the warmer months to come. I think it will be a staple of mine this year! Oh yeah, my husband likes it too!

26 February, 2006

Amarige by Givenchy

VintageVogue's review hits this one right on the money! Must be used sparingly. For myself, I only wear this one during cool weather, too much heat seems to thin the intricate bouquet and create a slight 'plastic chemical' overtone. Sexy, succulent, simmering...sultry. One of my favorite Givenchy's thus far!

25 February, 2006

Amarige D'Amour by Givenchy

Amarige D'Amour was a gift from my husband - he 'thought the bottle looked nice' - a thoughtful attempt I must say...nonetheless, not exactly what I would choose. Here's my take on it: Citrus over floral with a touch of sandalwood, jasmine and amber. I might also detect a bit of white tea (?). On me the citrus top notes stay in sharp alliance with the flowery middle ~ the base never really develops, leaving me feeling like I have to sneeze everytime I inhale. After awhile, it seems to acidify. When I test this fragrance on paper it seems cleaner and I notice a little more of an amber/sandalwood base. So, I chalk it up to a mismatch of chemistry. And yes, the bottle is very nice!

24 February, 2006

White Shoulders by Elizabeth Arden

Calchic's review is superb! With my own chemistry, I find White Shoulders begins as a melange of white florals - no particular note outstanding above another - then during the drydown, this crisp & sweet gardenia grows into the lead. Smells like spring! I find it youthful, refreshing, and very, very 'girly'. Whatever memory is created when wearing this scent, will forever be attached to it!

23 February, 2006

Youth Dew by Estée Lauder

The modern formulation of this scent reeks in a very pungent way. Everytime I've tried it, it smells like it's 'turned bad'. I have never been able to enjoy it. With that being said, I have had the good fortune of smelling the original Youth Dew - courtesy of a fellow basenoter - and it is rich, warm, and compelling! I do not know how such a poor evolution has been allowed to take place...maybe that's why Lauder put out Amber Nude...so I have to give a thumbs down for the current fare, and two thumbs way up for the original!

23 February, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Trouble by Boucheron

Trouble is described by Boucheron as a 'fresh oriental...sensual and enchanting'. With much excitement, I spritzed myself and was delighted at first. The fruity/floral topnotes seemed well balanced with the vanilla base. A nice blend of brightness and warmth. After about 20 minutes, there was a sharp note that I cannot place - reminded me of Von Furstenburgs' Tatiana. When that one particular note vanished, I was left with only vanilla and jasmine. (Maybe my chemistry could not hold onto the heart of Trouble.) If you love a simple combination of jasmine and vanilla, you'll probably love this one...however, I think Boucherons' name for this fragrance will be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Save your dollars and try Coty's Vanilla Fields ~ you'll get the same result!

Curve Crush for Women by Liz Claiborne

I tried Curve Crush with no expectations. What a shocker, I really like it! Simple sweet florals combine with lavender, musk and vanilla to create a pleasant, slightly romantic scent with excellent staying power. Has a current flair. Inexpensive too - go ahead, give it a try.

Bellodgia by Caron

In the early 1980's, I set out in search of a new & fabulous fragrance - something unique. The lovely lady who helped guide me, offered a sample of Bellodgia to try at home. If memory serves me well, I loved it then! However, I couldn't "get" the pronounciation and lacked true appreciation of this exquisite blend! Now, after 20 plus years, I have finally purchased this remarkable perfume. Bellodgia is everything I remembered; sparkling, soft and very feminine (no offense gentlemen!) After reading several opinions/commentaries about the "spiciness" of this particular carnation scent, I must mention that it is spicy in a delectable way - such as eggnog is spiced with nutmeg - in fact, I believe the spiciness is essential in this floral. It is definitely worth a try, wether you can pronounce it or not!