Reviews by ubuandibeme

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Anne Klein II by Anne Klein

Okay, this perfume is one I wore in 1988, shortly after my first baby was born...so, I paid an unbelievably high price to have myself a mini bottle for the sentiment. Those were dollars well spent! This intoxicating blend begins with a green introduction that quickly warms, becoming a lush amber. It is sweet with vanilla, and firmly grounded with rich wooded notes. To my nose it smells just like I remember from over 20 years ago. There is something special about the green topnote...although it fades, it's presence is always felt. Somehow that perfect green keeps the sweet character of this fragrance in excellent balance. This is the same effect found in Fleur des Comores by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier, and why I love it so! SUPERB!

24 May, 2009

24, Faubourg Eau Délicate by Hermès

24 Faubourg Eau Delicate is a dry and understated floral bouquet. The flowers here are delicately arranged and lightly dusted with a pinch of spice. An excellent choice for the heat of summer. This Hermes fresh floral is so polite, a man interested in a sheer summer floral could pull this one off with ease.

23 May, 2009

Cuir Venenum 03 by Parfumerie Generale

A candy coated, fruit juice dipped, barely leather.

Piment Brûlant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

The bitter smell of tomato plants, then bell pepper, weird for a fragrance.

Rose Poivrée by Different Company

According to Tania Sanchez in Perfumes The Guide, this one has probably undergone a re-formulation-transformation. I certainly hope so, because I obviously got a sample of the original stuff - the stuff she says smells like 'dirty mens underwear.' It stinks. Yeah, it's just plain BAD! I am married well over 20 years and have sorted & washed alot of laundry in that time...dirty mens underwear?...yes, that's what Rose Poivree smell like - EXACTLY!

Nirmala by Molinard

I've been on a bad run with cumin lately, and it's not stopped with Nirmala! Here's what it smells like:
    Don't shower for 3 days, then stick a ripe mango under each armpit. That's pretty much it folks.

Divine Folie by Jean Patou

VintageVogue has described this gorgeous perfume perfectly! It is a close wearing well crafted and ladylike leather - better snag a bottle before they're all gone.

Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

Sexy, nah...fresh & clean, yep! I've passed this one over for many years now, but finally broke down and gave it a trial run. A soapy pale rose with a white musk base. Plain and simple. Not bad.

20th May, 2009

Quelques Fleurs Royale by Houbigant

Without expectations, this juice hit my wrists and boy oh boy it's a nice suprise! I am amazed at how the modern re-working of a 90 year old fragrance is so pleasing! The name for this long delayed flanker is perfect too. Quelques Fleurs Royale is an orris powdery floral that really enhances the rose/jasmine heart. Topped with citrus & bergamot, QFR grabs onto the possiblity of a masculine floral...I don't get too much indole, if any, and the musky base is a perfect ending. Undoubtedly worthy of a test run!

19 May, 2009

Cruel Intentions by By Kilian

Sweet & dirty (ew!) lacking longevity with little to no sillage. Not appealing.

Blue Sugar by Aquolina

A couple years back I sampled Pink Sugar by Aquolina, and thought it was sickeningly sweet. Now I find the Blue Sugar under my nose, and it is equally sickening. I get bergamot and carmelized sugar, none of the other listed notes ever make an appearance. If you love your fragrances extra super sweet, you should try this one.

Armani Privé Ambre Soie by Giorgio Armani

Vegetal ambre, not sweet enough for my personal preference. (My favorite ambres are Ambre Extreme by L'Artisan and Ambre Precieux by Maitre Parfumeur Gantier.) This may be a better masculine ambre.

Attrape Coeur / Guet-Apens by Guerlain

Have Chanel & Guerlain been fooling around behind our backs?! Guet-Apens begins just like 31 Rue Cambon, a modern lactonic oakmoss free chypre, mouth watering and richly blended. The opening is incredibly Chanel like. As it wears on the skin, its' lineage with Mitsouko becomes evident, and begins to reveal a Guerlain personality. Rose, Iris & Jasmine are among the flowers in this delicate arrangement. Guet-Apens sweetens as the hours pass, and after awhile the vanillic amber base proclaims to the wearer without question ~ "I am a Guerlain!" The composition is flawless. I have a difficult time imagining anyone not appreciating the beauty of this gorgeous perfume. Stunning!

Eau de Caron by Caron

I would classify this one as unisex. It is a common feeling lemony/lavender Eau de Cologne, but for what it is worth...Jicky's got this one beat by a mile.

Nuit de Cellophane by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A sharp, high pitched fruity-floral featuring osmanthus. It is rounded and softened (over about a 4-6 hour time span) with notes of clean white musk. I enjoy this one on occassion, but do not consider it a "stand out" for Lutens. I'm about 50-50 with it, overall.

16 May, 2009

La Myrrhe by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Creative? YES! Wearable? Not for everybody! I'd classify this one in the same ranks as Tuberose Criminelle. It opens with powdery aldehydes - which I rather enjoy - but the myrrhe here is definitely medicinal and 'organic' smelling, and ends up camphorous/rubbery. I think Galamb Borong has described it best. I consider La Myrrhe an interesting & artistic scent, but don't personally feel it suits my tastes - I have no desire to wear it.

16 May, 2009

Casaque by Long Lost Perfume

I'm lucky to be sampling the original vintage Casaque, by Jean d'Allret ~ it is truly a floral delight! The character of Casaque is along the lines of A La Nuit. Not that they smell the same, but they share a starkly fresh and clean personality! Bold yet delicate, this stunning floral has me in a trance, it's one of those frags that keeps you snorfling throughout it's lifespan. Comes off a little soapy, but in a polite manner. If I ever have the opportunity to snag a bottle of this out of production gem, I'll snap it up faster than you can imagine!

13 May, 2009

Unconditional Love by Philosophy

Smells like more of the same "Falling in Love".

12 May, 2009

Twilight - The Lovely Collection by Sarah Jessica Parker

A mass market amber fragrance that is 'middle of the road' but get this: the price is cheap, and it's available at Kohl's. So if your'e looking for a decent amber that won't run you broke, twilight is nice enough.

12 May, 2009 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Baghari by Robert Piguet

Foetidus has described this one to a tee! My only disappointment ~ it fades away too quickly!

12 May, 2009

Parfum d'Hermès by Hermès

Classic perfumery in a bottle, it is as kasae says: "warm, powdery, gently aldehydic". If not for the rose becoming cloying on me I'd snap up a full bottle immediately, Parfum d'Hermes is exquisitely rich. The spices are mouthwatering. It's even got that milky lactonic drydown that I love! I'm giving this one a thumbs up, although I won't be wearing it due to that rose.

11th May, 2009

No. 18 by Chanel

My first experience with No.18 was pretty much love at first sniff. Fresh and slightly vegetal, 18 boasts an iris note like no other! It is an arresting beauty. As the hours wear on, the paper card carrying this scent is enriched by ambrette and a slight musk. I'm so loving this one, and ready to empty my wallet, but my (very wise) friend recommends WEARING it on my skin before committing to purchase. After this juice is on my wrist, I'm horrified to smell cumin! Somewhere underneath the glorious iris/ambrette/musk trio is the hideous and quite out of place smell of body odor. My heart is broken and my nose is disgusted. I keep snorfling my wrists in hopes of the body odor note being a false perception...alas, my nose is true, and the underlying skank is coming from the Chanel. Still refusing to accept defeat, I ordered a small spray vial to wear a few times - just to make sure. Well, the cumin note ended up not being as bad as originally thought. Yet, as I wear #18, it leaves me completely unsatisfied. So in the end, I close my wallet and keep Chanel's No.18 only as a fantasy.

Update: So, 2 years later guess what I've added to my fragrance wardrobe? Yep! There is a subtle skankiness which I attribute to the ambrette seed, that somehow I've been craving! This blend smells like the more cultured and worldly cousin of ELd'O's Putain des Palaces! I'm turning both thumbs upward!

10th May, 2009 (Last Edited: 27 January, 2011)

Armani Privé Eau de Jade by Giorgio Armani

Jade is a sparkling scent that reminds me of Bulgari's Blv Notte Pour Homme & somewhat of Azzaro's Chrome. I get a slightly metallic feel - which is not off-putting in the least - it keeps this composition bright and edgy! Because of the two previously mentioned associations, for my taste I'd say it leans toward the masculine...but in truth it is completely unisex. On a woman, it seems more 'fresh' than metallic. Not florally or aldehydic. Interesting. I'm enjoying the bergamot/neroli blend, sort of compelling - thumbs up!

09 May, 2009

Frangipani Absolute by Ormonde Jayne

Purplebird7 says it perfectly ~ "Riot of sweetflowers..." so true! Frangipani Absolute is an intricate blend that comes off with a soapy freshness, reminiscent of Antonia's Flowers namesake fragrance. Antonia's Flowers is tauted as a "living freesia" scent, but I think it possesses the same character as this Ormonde Jayne Frangipani rendition! Floral lovers NEED to sample this gorgeous bouquet ~ it is a riot of sweetflowers, and I love it!

09 May, 2009

Yuzu Rouge by 06130 Zéro Six Cent-Trente

The yuzu fruit is an Asian citrus fruit resembling a small orange. It's smell is uplifting and comes to the nose in a similar manner as bergamot. It is widely used in body treatments and baths.

Upon first sniff of this refreshing elixir, it gives an overall impression of a well blended citrus tea...reminding me of Bulgari's Au the Rouge and a bit of Au the Vert. Yuzu Rouge possesses a slightly effervescent quality, but doesn't get powdery or cloying at all. Yuzu is citrusy, but not any particular citrus fruit. (for ex. it is not 'lemony' or 'grapefruity') "Gentle" would be the most appropriate adjective to describe the smell. Yuzu Rouge also remains completely linear from the initial application throughout the entire wearing. It's kind of pricey, from memory I believe it was over $100.00. - and THAT was for the edt.! As a side note, when searching on the computer, I found the edp., and the bottle is EXACTLY the same as the new Keiko Mecheri's Not exactly sure what that means....but it feels as though I've stumbled upon some sort of perfume discovery!

I'd definitely suggest sampling this fine fragrance, and would personally like to try the edp. version. Yuzu Rouge is easy to wear, very enjoyable, could make a perfect 'go to' scent for the hot & humid Midwestern summer days!

02 May, 2009

Hermèssence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès

I tend to shy away from vetiver, as it usually brings the masculine gender to my mind when I get a whiff. What a nice suprise to find this Vetiver Tonka! It doesn't have the usual "masculine" feel to my nose, which makes wearing it a dream! bbBD's commentary is thorough and accurate. VT's sillage & longevity are superior, especially for such a sheer scent. As it wears on my skin, it becomes a bit 'acidic', but not to the point of disdain. This entire range of Hermessence fragrance is simple, quality & fun, I'm lovin' it!

01st May, 2009

Halle by Halle Berry

If you love Victor & Rolf's Flowerbomb, this one will suffice as a "wallet friendly" substitute! Tried this one on at Kohl's Dept. store, it is a slightly more honeyed & vanillic take on Flowerbomb. I will give it a thumbs up because it smells good ~ is wearable ~ and is reasonably priced.

29 April, 2009

Chloé (original) by Chloé

Chloe' (the 1975 original) is a treasure from its' time. I don't personally choose to wear it though...mostly because to my nose it shares the same character as Dior's original Poison ~ which I prefer. It doesn't carry the frujty aspect of Poison, but the spiced floral punch are equally dominant & satisfyingly good in both! This is a rich and bold floral, with a spicy sandalwood drydown. It is VERY pretty & VERY feminine, and shares only the same name with the new release.

29 April, 2009

Chloé (new) by Chloé

This new Chloe' is a potent lady! It lasts forever on me and, I sadly admit, it can wear me down. This Chloe is completely different from the original, and I'm irritated that KL didn't come up with a brand new moniker for this flower...even the color scheme leads one to believe they are related, but the geneology is in name only. This new release is heavy on the peony & cedar. I've recently learned that cedar comes to my nose in the form of "pepper" ~ and there's plenty here! This one feels like a 1980's creation, big & bold. I like to use the scented shower gel and lotion, they seem to be enough for my taste...adding the edp is for the brave only! I have to give it a neutral, because over a couple of hours my nose tires a bit...it's not for the meek.

28 April, 2009

Un Matin d'Orage by Annick Goutal

YIKES! At first sniff, the presence of ylang-ylang is distinct. For me ylang-ylang comes across as stinky. A potent stink weed. In Un Matin d'Orage; it is a major player - which is the first problem my olfactory detects. The next, and maybe more obvious offender, is shisho. (Never heard of it before now, so took a quick glance through wikipedia.) Apparently this is a genus of annual herb that is a member of the mint family. Grown in India & East Asia, a chemotype oil is extracted from the leaves. It has a terpene like quality, which explains the chemical bomb personality of UMdO. At times it smells 'indolic', in a dirty/chemical way. Not at all pleasant. I also sense a mushroom/fungi note that some may perceive as earthy...for me it is...mushroomy. Maybe that's the champaca. At any rate, I haven't anything positive to say here. This is one of the most unappealing scents I've smelled in a long time.

26 April, 2009