Reviews by ubuandibeme

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Brit Sheer by Burberry

I've been on a wearability kick lately, and this Brit Sheer by Burberry fits the bill! True enough, there is nothing groundbreaking or particularly different about this fruity floral, but it is satisfying to wear. There are days, mostly in the heat of summer, when I'm not sure what fragrance to choose. Brit Sheer works well for those days! Omnia Crystalline by Bulgari used to be a real 'go to' frag for me, and I think if you are a fan of OC you'd probably enjoy Brit Sheer for a change of pace. Brit Sheer is similar in very character. The fruity notes are slightly tangy and 'Asian' feeling, drying down to a lightweight white woodsy musk. Wears like a scented veil, "sheer" is the perfect adjective!

22 April, 2009

My Afrika by Krizia

Notes listed on the Now Smell This blog review are:

ginger blossom, lime, jasmine, heliotrope,
    shea fruit, amber, ebony & ginger

My Afrika opens with a bright citrus that is very lemony to my nose. I don't detect the florals, with the exception of heliotrope - which gives a vanilla like essence to this warm weather refresher. The ginger is fizzy & tingly, adding vibrancy to that already lively citrus. I'm amazed at the lifespan of the lime (lemon) note here...and unlike Goutal's Eau d' Hadrien, it doesn't ever become predominantly woody. I haven't found this available for purchase in the US, but believe it can still be found in Italy. A clever and well done twist on a citrus scent, I'd say it's worth seeking out.

13 April, 2009

Scent Factory - Parfum 3 - Cardamome by Nelly Rodi

Found out by doing the "3x3 blind sniff" here at basenotes, Scent Factory - Parfum 3 : Cardamome has only 2 fragrance notes. Cardamom and Cedarwood.
    To my nose, it is the smell of freshly cracked cardamom pods...the seeds have been smashed and the aroma is stunning! My impression of the cedarwood in this pairing is of black pepper. Beginning with an almost camphorous/medicinal aura, it settles into an extremely dry and spicy character - with an incense feel. While others may think differently, I found this frag to have big sillage and unusually long lifespan. Leaning more to the masculine, it is interesting and modern.

13 April, 2009

Shisha by Ava Luxe

Shisha ~ OMG ~ I accidentally got some of this on my fingertips, from opening a tiny sample vial, and couldn't get rid of it! It is vile. It smelled something like aged/rotting spicy sausage. Honestly, I hope my nose is never exposed to this again. Undoubtedly one of the worst frags ever created.

03 April, 2009

Vivara (original) by Emilio Pucci

Gorgeous chypre! Herbal, yet powdery soft. Really reminds me quite alot of vintage Miss Dior (sans the leather effect), although Vivara is kinder and gentler. It has nothing in common with the "new" Vivara. You bet I'll be keeping an eye out for a vintage bottle of this!

22 March, 2009

Le De by Givenchy

Vintage Le De = bare, soapy, astringent VIOLETS! I would'nt suspect this one came from Givenchy. Not flowery or sweet, which is strange for such a violet predominant fragrance. Worth a try, even if just for reference!

22 March, 2009

Wonderful Indulgence by American Beauty

Hey, a reasonably priced fresh floral, with a few flecks of greenery thrown in! Jasmine is detectable, but more prominent is a 'just right' dose of bright tuberose flowing through this modern bouquet. As Wonderful Indulgence blooms on my skin, it reminds me alot of Coachs' first fragrance. Very pretty, and a nice suprise!

17 March, 2009

Terra di Siena by I Profumi di Firenze

Can a fragrance be fresh AND dirty? If it's possible, I think Terra de Siena has accomplished just that! A juxtaposition of fragrance notes, that come together suprisingly well! Kind of like mixing up the clean laundry with the dirty clothes. It's herbaceous opening is attention getting, yet mild. The orange blossom here is creamy rich and when combined with lavender creates a rose like character. Although I'm no huge fan of cumin, it is presented with restraint and somehow melds with the note of cinnamon in an amazing fashion. As this perfume wears on, the wooded base takes hold to give this elixir staying power. I find TdS enchanting, and look forward to sampling more undiscovered treasures from this house!

12 March, 2009

Labdanum 18 / Ciste 18 by Le Labo

I'm a bit anosmic to musks, but from what I do smell, this perfume is softly sweet and sexy! Very pleasing, close wearing too. Probably my favorite of this house so far!

11th March, 2009

Re by Laura Tonatto

Clever stuff indeed! This darkened incense is full of interest. I get a sweet honey note in the opening, and am suprised no other reviewer has mentioned that. There is also something "spacial" about Re, kind of like brandy in a huge snifter...only a small amount is required to surround a large space with it's essence. I also find the top notes in particular to be similar in character to vintage Tabu cologne. If you are a fan of incense frags, this is a must try! BTW - Foetidus' commentary is exceptional!

11th March, 2009

Terre d'Iris by Miller Harris

Terre d'Iris reminds me of Sake by Fresh. It is extremely sweet to my nose, and extremely strong. The actual note of iris doesn't come through for awhile, and even then, I have to strain to perceive that doughy, powdery smell. For iris, I'll stick to L'Artisans' Iris Pallida and for Miller Harris, I'll take the Fleur Oriental!

Ormonde Woman by Ormonde Jayne

Grass oil and cedar are the two most prominent notes. I wish the jasmine and violet had a stronger presence, or any presence at all. I'm just "meh" about this one. Gets on my nerves, kind of boring as it wears on...I really don't find it to be anything special.

Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

Well, odysseusm has hit this one on the head! In addition to his accurate description, I have to comment upon the "lightness" of Sous le Vent. For all the grand herbs, florals, and woods - this one will never weigh you down!

Hermèssence Vanille Galante by Hermès

I've been racking my brain, trying to figure out the motivation behind the name 'Vanille Galante' and I'm completely stumped! Why? Because I don't smell any vanilla in this mix! I do, however, associate it directly with Fleur des Comores by MPG. It's the ylang-ylang ~ featured in this and FdC ~ beautifully done. Ylang-ylang is one floral note that many times smells just plain stinky to me. In Vanille Galante the presentation of this flower is extremely delicate, sheer, and surrounded by diffused greens. Spices and sandalwood balance this blend, like an opaque veil just barely connecting and softening each note. If I compare the two, Vanille Galante showcases green notes and ylang-ylang whereas FdC comes off less green and more 'mouthwatering', almost gourmand-ish. I adore Mr. Ellena's interpretation.

09 March, 2009 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Les Elixirs Charnels - Oriental Brûlant by Guerlain

Vanilla/Almond/Amber. Very much like Angelique Noire, but without the bitterness. More sweetened and gourmand...almost boozy. I get tiny breaths of Shalimar too. Deep tonka in the base cinches this one for me...I'm drooling!

Isabela Capeto by Isabela Capeto

Smells plummy, with lots of cedar, pepper, spices, water flower, vetiver, and who knows what else. This very beautiful fragrance is presented in a red cartoon woman bottle - which is the emblem of this Brazilian designer. (Her website is amazing!) But the juice itself is like the love child of Serge Noire and Feminite du Bois. Thumbs up!

Pink Grapefruit by Floris

Bright lemony grapefruit! I understand about the 'detergent' reference, it is a very 'clean' scent. Really great for summer, and very uplifting. I'll have to see if there are other body & bath products available...FRESH!

Diorama by Christian Dior

Diorama has Roudnistka's signature all over it! To my nose it smells VERY much like his Le Parfum De Therese (Frederic Malle label) and also bears genetic resemblance to Diorella. What sets Diorama apart, at least to my nose, is the noticeable addition of cumin/coumarin. This makes Diorama wearable by both men and women, moreso than the previously mentioned Roudnistka frags. Beautiful.

Chemical Bonding by Ineke

Effervescent citrus opens this extroverted frag from Ineke, and it is vibrant and lemony. An immediate reference combination of Keiko Mecheri's Sanguine and Damask Rose come to mind. However, this Chemical Bonding is all about the peony. Like foetidus says - larger than life! I have a so-so feeling about peony in my perfume, and although this one is very good, it isn't something that connects my nose to my heart. This peonys' most likeable quality is its' lightness. Sometimes highly fragrant florals like peony or rose can 'lay heavily', but not this one! A tea like character wafts in and out on occassion. Blackberry is a difficult note for my nose to detect, and I don't smell it in this compostion. The musk is subtle, and appropriately present, very polite. I don't 'get' the name though...possibly a self-indulgence by the creator?! Nonetheless, a uniquely creative springtime scent.

08 March, 2009

Cuir by Lancôme

My passion is NOT leather, but I'll tell you ~ this is the most balanced, wearable, interesting leather I've tried! The first spritz comes off all citrusy, but only for the first 2 or 3 inhaling breaths. It immediately gets smokey. The deep kind of smokiness that makes you pull back and go "WHOA!" ~ it's that strong. But just like the citrus topnotes, those heavy smokey notes mellow in very speedy fashion. Now things begin to settle into themselves, creating a comfortable leather chypre that is somewhat bright - not brooding or dirty at all. Only very slight animalics here, at least to this nose. This leather is polite! I think the blending is brilliant, and give high marks to Ms. Becker and Ms. Zanoni for an excellent composition. Cuir de Lancome is highly recommended as a solid quality leather fragrance.

05 March, 2009 (Last Edited: 30th September, 2009)

Violette Précieuse by Caron

Sweet-ish but not candy sweet. I love the iris/orange blossom/violet trio here. Powdery iris lends a dry, chalky feel and the slightly indolic orange blossom contributes a bit of 'flesh'. So this violet is not pure innocence at all, it is all grown up and would be wearable by a man (IMO). Also worth noting, Violette Precieuse is not a powerhouse frag. It is more on the quiet side, but does have decent longevity. Hard to believe it's almost 100 years old!

04 March, 2009 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Coney Island by Bond No. 9

What I really get from Coney Island is Lemon * Acquatic * Woods. I did not detect any of the carmel, chocolate, cinnamon or vanilla - but that's okay. This stuff is breezy island fun that lasts and lasts and lasts...2 thumbs up, with a smile!

Fire Island by Bond No. 9

Fire Island fragrance is appropriately scented fun! A dab of floral within a melange of musks creates a lovely and wearable beachy perfume! At first, I was sort of 'meh' on it...but after a couple hours I was sniffing and re-sniffing my wrist. As it wears on my skin I'm reminded of Barbasol shaving cream! Beyond beachy, it smells fresh and moist. I think it's unique and wonderful.

Amir by Laura Tonatto

Initially, Amir smells to my nose exactly like the opening of Tabu (vintage cologne). It is a bit dusty/musty - probably some incense notes in the mix - leading into a gorgeous amber. In short order Amirs' evolution veers away from Tabu completely, and really gets completely lost in rich golden amber. Just when I think the amber is going to maintain, I must take another whiff. It actually subsides and gives way to a minty sort of note...which I don't love, but it's not off-putting. At this stage of the game my feeling for this juice is that it would make a fabulous masculine. I ended up spritzing some Ambre Extreme over it - to revive the amber note, which worked out just fine. I will give Amir a thumbs up, but will not purchase a full bottle, because of the minty ending.

Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

I am fortunate to sample Vol de Nuit in its' vintage extrait form, due to the generosity of another basenoter, and am completely stunned by Jacques Guerlains' luxurious blend of notes. Tantalizing spices come alive from the first spritz and are sprinkled throughout the entire evolution of VdN. They add interest, but never overpower. Vanilla is also an everpresent force, creamy, rich, and binding to the greens - softening any potentially sharp or bitter edges. Galbanum, Oakmoss and assorted greens come exactly as expected ~ bold! Iris, wow, it is more pronounced than I would have guessed. Doughy, powdery, yet soft and plush like velvet. I'm anxious to sample other strengths of Vol de Nuit, and am curious to try more current formulations as well. A single whiff of VdN transports my soul to an era of perfumery long forgotten. It is a treasure, a masterpiece, a privilege to experience. Utterly gorgeous!

Beige by Chanel

This 'Exclusif' from Chanel really suprises me. The notes here are interesting and seamless, in true Jacques Polge fashion, but the suprising part is the high pitch to which the florals climb and hold steady for the lifespan of this scent. I adore frangipani, and the freesia lends a clean & fresh vibe. Cool, and classy for sure, but what Chanel isn't? Refreshing too, that this fresh floral doesn't smell "flowery", if that makes sense. I would say if you are leary of bold floral frags, or don't care for soliflores very well, or even if you are bored with the current wave of springtime offerings, give this outstanding beauty a try. Beige has no borders in regard to age. Beige is cool - but not cold. Hard to believe LT & TS don't have anything good to say regarding this particular Chanel...Beige does not disappoint me in any way! Two thumbs up!

26 February, 2009 (Last Edited: 20th July, 2009)

Hiris by Hermès

Metallic, yes. Vegetal, yes. Chemical, yes. Purchase, no.

26 February, 2009

Rose 31 by Le Labo

What I like best about Rose 31 is; it does not try to smell like a real rose. Weird, I know. Like a richly fragrant rose boutonniere, worn by a man, the smell of rose is accompanied by notes of wood and touch of green. Maybe even a touch salty. As this one wears on, the woods are more prominent...and smells like there's cedar in the base. I hate to use the terms 'animalic' or 'musky', as they seem too much. I prefer to say Rose 31 exhibits a slightly mysterious character. Finding myself repeatedly sniffing at my wrist, I have to say it is compelling and interesting. Suprising to see it classified as a masculine ~ for me, it's most definitely unisex! Like Foetidus puts it, "an inspired (masculine) interpretation of rose", for sure!

25 February, 2009

Flower by Cynthia Rowley

If you love Serge Lutens Un Lys, and are either unable or unwilling to pay the big bucks for it, Flower by Cynthia Rowley is the next best thing! The lily is straight forward from the get go, and dries down into a wooded musky base with a delightfully powdery softness. I'm completely shocked at how much I like this one. The bottle is adorable too, hobnail milkglass in a cute rectangular-ish bottle - complete with silver toned cap and black ribbon. It is sold through Avon (yet another shock!) for less than most of us carry around in our wallets.

19 February, 2009

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Before commenting on this fragrance, you need to know I am a bit anosmic to musks. For the most part, I do get the smell, but it is muted and I have to concentrate to detect the actual musk notes. That being said, my first impression of Maurice Roucel's Musc Ravageur is warm and richly spiced and lightly powdered vanillic musk. The spices and vanilla come across more prominent than the musk, but that could just be me. Comforting - yes - but sexy too! This one makes me want to go skin to skin, absolutely lost in time...Never having been caught up in any hype over this one, sampling it seems like I've discovered a treasure! Definitely unisex. Very wearable, unless you have an aversion to vanilla. Two thumbs way up!

19 February, 2009