Reviews by ubuandibeme

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Viva La Juicy by Juicy Couture

Viva La Juicy! is a nice follow-up (timed well too) to the original Juicy Couture fragrance. This company really knows how to hit their target market, which by my estimation is the 18-25 year old girly crowd. Overall this one's a fruity floral with gourmand undertones. I'd call it a " gourmet bouquet "! Here are the listed notes:

Top - Wild Berries & Mandarin
    Middle - Honeysuckle, Gardenia, Jasmine
    Base - Amber, Caramel, Vanilla, Sandalwood, Praline

The fruited topnotes are pretty non-descript, other than the fact they do come across juicy. As far as the flowers, I get the Jasmine note as the most prominent. It smells alot like the jasmine in the original Coach fragrance, bright and somewhat vibrant. The basenotes are what gives this juice it's flavor ~ caramel, vanilla and praline add just the right comforting touch to the lively fruits and flowers ~ warmth and depth provided by Amber and Sandalwood. I also adore the grafitti style script on the packaging, it feels spontaneous and fun! I'd say give it a try.

24 October, 2008

David Yurman Eau de Parfum by David Yurman

This perfume is strong! Imagine the lovely, sheer Narciso Rodriguez for Her reaching puberty. DY is like a full grown, full blown NRfH! This stuff does have a sort of 80's vibe, as it is extremely potent. The waterfloral opening is quickly overrun by the Rose/Wood/Patchouli trio - which also gives off hints of Lady Vengeance by Juliette Has A Gun. The musk here makes everything stick, and let me tell you, it holds on forever! A bit overbearing for my senses...kind of like a wicked step-mother. The best part of this scent is the bottle. It is very attractive and accurately reflects this jewelry designers' trademark style. I'm 50/50 on this one. Be forewarned: this perfume could very easily take over the wearer.

24 October, 2008

Un Jardin Après La Mousson by Hermès

The reviews posted here, of Un Jardin Apres La Mousson, are among the most thoughtful and accurate I've read! My first impression of fragrance notes within UJALM is salted water, assorted greens - maybe even some linden - pepper, cardamom, and melon. It is sheer in character, like the others in the Hermes Jardin series, and dry too. Can a fragrance be dry and fresh simultaneously? If so, UJALM fits that description. It is interesting to smell notes that seemingly oppose one another, working together in harmony. For example, an acquatic note taking on a dry feeling. Or, juicy melon combined with pepper. That is the "fire & ice" sort of tension that makes this fragrance captivating. To my nose, this elixir is most intriguing! I'd call it a work of art.

22 October, 2008

Nanadebary Bronze by Nanadebary

This is an interesting spicy floral! It's more of a spicy iris than anything else. The opening is spicy like the retro fragrance Tigress, at least from my memory. It quickly evolves into a powdery floral ~ iris ~ with hints of sandalwood and cinnamon in it's base. I'd also say it leans more to the feminine, but some imaginitive risk taking fellows could pull this off as well! Nice for cool weather wear. Distinctive.

Le Parfum de Thérèse by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Violet comes first to my nose, and wow, it's pretty! Perfectly sweetened by juicy ripe plums, I am reminded of the rich fruited notes of Christian Dior's Dolce Vita and also YSL's Yvresse(Champagne). The flowers, spices, grass, fruits, wood and leather are a symphony for the nose. Seamless and utter beauty...this is exactly how I'd expect a perfumers wife to smell!!! My favorite of the Malle label!

Pleasures Intense by Estée Lauder

Not Pleasures, not intense...more like 'watered down'! I just don't get this one.

Café by Neil Morris Fragrances

Creativity abounds! This fun gourmand from Neil Morris represents the smells of an outdoor cafe'. Beside the sweets and dark roasted coffee, there is the smell of late summer heat and touch of greenery. The later reminiscent of Ralph Lauren's Safari! I'm with Nukapai, don't think it's in for regular wear, but it is an enjoyable olfactory delight!

19 October, 2008

Angelique Noire by Guerlain

VERY FINE! The previous reviewers in this forum have my complete agreement! Angelique Noire is heavenly, I even detect traces of it 12 hours after application. Also, not listed but I swear it's in there...just a touch of tonka, more noteably at the very end of AN's lifespan. Love the balance here, between the bright bergamot/powdery sweet angelica/deep vanilla-tonka notes Fresh, sexy, mouthwateringly sweet. It is 'MY GUERLAIN', I adore it!

19 October, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Jasmin 17 by Le Labo

It is with extreme sadness I type this commentary, as my hope for this jasmine has been crushed. I adore indolic florals. Never have they come to my nose smelling like "mothballs", that is, until now. Jasmin 17 begins sweetly, and similarly to Diptyque's Olene. Within only minutes after spritzing, starts to give off that mothball/ashtray sort of smell. The prettiest components of this juice vanish too soon, leaving the mothball/ashtray odor to morph into it's final repugnance: the smell of gingivitis. I know, it's not nice, but it's true. The smell of unhealthy (almost rotting) gum tissue. It permeates. I have never smelled a perfume quite like this one.

18 October, 2008

L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Watery and weak, definitely not worth the pricetag. For a mild fragrance, there are sooooo many others to choose from that won't run you broke!

15 October, 2008

Golden Amber by Becker.eshaya

The first time I sampled this fragrance I thought, "hmmm, I bet Vibert would like this one." Then, lo and behold, I find his review with a thumbs up ~ how funny! The opening for me was kind of medicinal. Looking through the listed notes within this blend, the specific offender eludes me. Well, fortunately those topnotes fade rather quickly, and we are onto better things! The jasmine here is weak. Bummer, because I adore jasmine. The nicest part is the base, which reminds me of Belle en Rykiel by Sonia Rykiel. Rich, but not cloying. Complex yet easy to wear. I'm half & half on this one. Once the first 20 minutes pass, I'm enjoying it, sort of.

14 October, 2008

Juozas Statkevicius / Josef Statkus by Juozas Statkevicius

I'm pretty much loving this perfume! Let me confess, notes of incense have never really been my sort of thing. Usually I find incense frags either 'churchy' or 'musty/dusty', making me feel solemn and sneezy. In Juozas' blend, the incense is top-loaded with jasmine (one of my faves) creating a brighter character overall. The basenotes are luxurious heavy hitters, giving staying power and overall balanced longevity. This is clearly a winning scent, for men and women alike. Also, this is one fragrance you won't smell on every Jack or Jill who passes by, very unique!

14 October, 2008

Cinéma by Yves Saint Laurent

Such inconsistant comments here. Be forewarned, I'm going to add to the confusion.
    For me, the florals in Cinema are light and powdery, when combined with the predominant vanilla base, creates a fragrance almost identical to Kenzo Amour. "Almost", because Cinema is slightly sweeter. It is close wearing and comforting to my senses. If I didn't already own Kenzo Amour I'd purchase this in a heartbeat! Love the bottle too.

13 October, 2008

So de la Renta by Oscar de la Renta

A fruity floral that smells acquatic/lactonic (say that 3 times fast!). I would never know there is any vanilla in this blend, I really cannot detect it. A beautifully balanced feminine scent, with a definite De la Renta feel! The name is absolutely appropriate, as this perfume conjures images of elegant gowns sewn of the finest fabrics accented by perfect ruffles & pleats. I will have to get at least a small vial of So de la Renta to have on hand should I need to feel especially pretty!

13 October, 2008

Marc Jacobs Splash Rain by Marc Jacobs

Acquatic fragrances are not usually appealing to my senses, but this Rain scent by MJ is wearable and pleasant. It is very light, but not lacking. There are certain occasions when I don't want my fragrance to be noticed...such as when closely holding a newborn baby, or visiting a sick friend. It is those times when the splash series comes in handy! As far as the actual "Rain" smell, well, it is acquatic with notes of lightly powdered greens - delightfully opened with the help of some citrus, which fades almost immediately. Fresh, but not perfumey, and not a flower to be detected. For me, this eau fraiche fills a vacancy in my wardrobe perfectly!

07 October, 2008

White Patchouli by Tom Ford

Elegant, chic and modern ~ this white floral/patchouli combo is winning in every way! For starters, the white ribbed bottle with gold accenting is stunning. It is also a great vessel in which to preserve the integrity of this juice while giving us the option to display the bottle as a work of art. This perfume contains all the glamorous flowers too ~ rose, peony, jasmine, along with ambrette seed and the perfect amount of patchouli. For those discriminate in sillage and longevity of their fragrance, I'd say Ford has attained perfection there as well. I'm secretly hoping this one will remain under wraps for awhile, so I can be the head turning one smelling especially fabulous!

As an update, I bought a bottle of White Patchouli and wore it a few times. It ended up smelling plastic or chemical like to my nose, and sadly, it is with a new owner. My review is changed from a thumbs up to a neutral.

07 October, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Sogni del Mare by Antonia's Flowers

I adore Antonia's Flowers signature frag, so I had high hopes for this beautifully named scent. Sorry to say my hopes were shattered. Sogni del Mare is a citrus/bergamot/seawater fresh eau de cologne that truly smells like my husbands deodorant...you know, the one that's called "fresh scent". Absolutely un-original in the most dull and predictable way. Don't get me wrong, this scent won't offend anyone. There's just no reason to use it. Unremarkable.

04 October, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Purple Patchouli by Tom Ford

Candied violets and patchouli? Yep, that's what you'll get with Tom Ford's Purple Patchouli! Must say that I love it though, and find the patchouli base to be just the right potency.

Velvet Gardenia by Tom Ford

Wow, this is a very different gardenia! The opening is camphorous, like the topnote with that same effect in Tuberose Criminelle by Serge Lutens. Heavy on the indoles, Velvet Gardenia is not a sweet or green girly flower, it is definitely wearable by a man. One could acquire a taste for the close wearing raw floral component in this juice, as it is a unique representation of gardenia. As it warms on the skin, the slightest tinge of sweetness appears, but I would never think of classifying it as 'sweet'. Also, it is creamy. Maybe that's where the velvet part comes into play. The drydown brings another Lutens association: Sarrisins. I don't get any cheesy note whatsoever, nor any plastic. But then again, I am a fan of indolic white florals! My advice is to give this one a fair shake, I love it for it's bold & different portrayal of the gardenia flower.

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Mikeperez23 has written accurately about Tobacco Vanille! When I first sniffed this perfume, my nose was highly impressed by the authentic tobacco notes. Tobacco marries well with vanilla too, so this combo is an easy winner. I must add though, that in preparing to 'share' some of this frag, about 2ml spilled onto my countertop. Because of this mishap, I got a clear cut, no holds barred whiff of this stuff and was overwhelmed by the smell of cloves! Now, when I sniff TV I can only detect cloves...For a boozy tobacco vanilla frag I would insist upon trying Guerlain's Spirituese Double Vanille ~ IMO it surpasses Tom Ford's version, just a bit!

Bois Rouge by Tom Ford

Smokey tea with a slice of lemon...then settling into a smokey, spiced wood. Very comforting, dry and warm. For me, it leans toward the masculine, although it is completely wearable by either gender.

Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford

The sweetest and most flowery of the Tom Ford collection, this orange blossom is fantastic! That tiny little flower opens this frag with a bang, and then a nice little suprise of citrusy lemon joins in for a fresh & bright white floral treat! It gives me the impression of Goutal's Eau d'Hadrien being infused with neroli ~ completely beautiful! Did I mention it is sweet? Even so, it isn't a bit cloying IMO! Excellent sillage and longevity for a citrus/floral. I highly recommend trying this little gem.

Tiempe Passate by Antonia's Flowers

Antonia's Flowers is a sleepy little niche house that puts forth some gorgeous floral frags, but sadly, this one is not one of my faves from them. The opening is sharp, almost pure rubbing alcohol, but fades fast into a clean and soapy scent. It smells like a fabric softener dryer sheet! This reminds me of a fragrance Avon used to make years ago called Clean Cotton in their comfort scent line...in fact, it smells VERY much like Clean Cotton! If I concentrate hard, I do smell the rose here. With the combination of sage, cedar and vetiver in the base, I feel it would be best highlighted as a masculine floral. As my sample wears on, I find myself tiring of this scent...

Floret by Antonia's Flowers

Another lively fresh floral from Antonia's Flowers! I adore the perfumes of this house! The EDP opens with a quick burst of grapefruit, slightly soapy, clean. As the topnotes fade, my nose detects sweet pea and peony flowers. This gorgeous juice rests upon my wrist sweetening as it ages, and projecting well in spite of it's delicate bouquet. The sillage and longevity is amazing. My personal feeling is that it shares a bit of character with Clinique's Happy ~ particularly in the drydown. I would also hold this one well above Lauder's Beyond Paradise, if you like your frags fresh, clean and bright. Difficult to find, but well worth the search!

30th September, 2008

Opium Fleur Imperiale by Yves Saint Laurent

I've found no satisfaction in the limited edition spin-offs of the stunning original Opium. Some things are better left alone, like the Mona Lisa, how could it ever be improved upon? Impossible. It is what it is...leave the masterpiece as it was created!

25 September, 2008

Gardénia Passion by Annick Goutal

Not gardenia. "Candied tuberose" is more likely to describe this super sweet Goutal. I almost bought this one unsniffed, and was relieved after having the opportunity to sample it first. Although I adore sweet frags, this one just doesn't move me...

25 September, 2008

Iris Noir Secrets d'Essences by Yves Rocher

This heady perfume, of the 'purple patchouli' persuasion, is excellent! I love the sparkling manner in which bergamot opens this stunner! Given it's name, the main flower here should be iris...but my nose keeps getting rose instead? Not a bother though, this rose is extremely pretty. A dry, almost peppery-chypre-ish rose...if that's possible! Love the rich basenotes too, patchouli, tonka and styrax. Perfect for the cool fall days right around the corner. Oh yeah, this one won't break your budget either. A winner in every way.

22 September, 2008

Antonia's Flowers by Antonia's Flowers

From the beginning, notes of lemon, bergamot and freesia burst forth! Yes, it does remind me of opening the door and walking into a florist's shop! Fresh, bright and a touch soapy - in a good way! I don't detect any anise here, as others have mentioned. The drying phase brings the most lovely muguet fragrance I've ever smelled...not too sweet, definitely not cloying...the green notes presented here are along the lines of Sheldrake's greens in his wonderful floral creation (for Serge Lutens) A La Nuit. The tenderness of Antonia's Flowers reminds me too of L'Artisan's La Chasse Aux Papillons, extremely polite in it's floral presence. I cannot imagine this scent offending anyone...even those who don't love flowery fragrances! In the category of "fresh/floral" this one ranks right at the top!

21st September, 2008

parfums*PARFUMS series 8 Energy C: Grapefruit by Comme des Garçons

I never actively seek citrus type scents...citrus top notes seem prominent in too many frags, I don't usually find anything special about them...usually! Until now. Comme des Garcons has created an AMAZINGLY good citrus frag here! I clearly smell grapefruit, right from the opening. Juice from the pulp, oils from the peel, lively & bright - absolutely fresh! Appropriately named, it is energizing too! It evolves into tangy brightness, with delicate florals and tinge of greens to adhere to the skin. I am enamored with this citrus, and feel a purchase coming on!!!

16 September, 2008

Vol de Nuit Évasion by Guerlain

Osmoz lists the notes of Vol de Nuit Evasion as:

Top: Rose, Peach
    Heart: Jasmine, Iris
    Base: Vanilla, Amber, Precious Woods

From the first drop on my wrist, rose is the most prominent note in this blend ~ and it's spicy! Almost like a clove or carnation character to it...balanced by peach, just a touch, and it's not very sweet. More subtle, and dry. The jasmine and iris peek through, but the rose never leaves center stage. The drydown comes off a bit generic, and slowly fades away...VdNE would make a nice introduction fragrance to someone just getting into the world of perfumes, and may also be a "safe" gift to give. I'm giving a thumbs up because I think it is pleasing in general, but I won't be purchasing this one.

Okay, that last part...about the purchase...I lied. Just bought it! (LOL) 3/11/10

16 September, 2008 (Last Edited: 11th March, 2010)