Reviews by ubuandibeme

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Linden Blond Tabac by Voluspa

From the EDP ~ An extremely sweet version of linden...reminiscent of Redken's Pique from the 80's. Not my sort of fragrance, but for sweet linden lovers ~ this one would quench your desire!

Histoire d'Eau by Mauboussin

Found notes listed as:

Top: Green Tangerine
    Middle: Cardamom, Pepper, Nutmeg
    Base: Leather, Musk, Amber

I regularly wear Serge Lutens' Daim Blond - which I classify as a slightly fruity/soft suede fragrance.
    Histoire d'Eau by Maubboussin is incredibly similar! The leather note is soft and subtly infused with gentle spices. Delicately sweet. This can also be found for purchase on-line at about 1/5th the cost of a Lutens...I definitely recommend this sleeper!

Mauboussin by Mauboussin

A wintertime wonder! Warm, rich, mouth-watering, comforting and compelling - simultaneously! What a gorgeous blend, slightly reminiscent of the deep fermented fruits found in Badgley Mischka, or even Frapin's fragrance...a slight vanilla here, and the base comes across with a touch of cedar, creating an aromatic finish. Could easily be unisex.

Chamade by Guerlain

First off, I'd like to get it off my chest that I'm not a Guerlain-o-phile, Guerlain-a-holic, or fan of Guerlain frags in general...in fact, most offerings from this house that DO appeal to me are not the popular ones. Whew! Now THAT'S out of the way, let me tell you Chamade is an absolute masterpiece! Yep, the blend of notes here is sheer genius. Chamade's florals are singular, yet immediately form a bouquet, that evolves sweetly, with fluid motion. 'Balsamic notes' in the base just send me over the top for this juice! I am sampling the EDT version and find it possesses quite ample sillage and good longevity. After this, I may become a Guerlain lover after all!

Perfect Veil by Creative Scentualization

In the same vein as Philosophy's Amazing Grace, or Dolce & Gabbana's Light Blue, or even Coty's Wild Musk or Jovan's Musk! Clean & soft skin scent (musk), with a bit of sandalwood in the drydown...for the price, any of the 4 comparables listed above would be a better deal and give just as much satisfaction.

15 September, 2008

Organza Harvest 2005 by Givenchy

Impressive! I'm not usually one for re-working originals...especially when they're wonderful already...but I adore the addition of jasmine to this gorgeous blend! It works very well with the base of amber, vanilla and nutmeg. In fact, the original essence of Organza is still completely intact here. I have purchased a full bottle without hesitation!

08 September, 2008

Turkish Vanilla by Ava Luxe

Ava Luxe's Turkish Vanilla is creamy, nutty, milky, warmly spiced and definitely unisex! Reminds me alot of Fragonard's vanilla fragrance...it also lasts a long time! I can see myself using Turkish Vanilla to give a boost of sweetness to other scents. This is one I will love playing with!

04 September, 2008

Drôle de Rose by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I can only elaborate upon Vibert's eloquent commentary by adding that to my nose, this L'artisan is a true "lipstick rose" - even moreso than Malle's! It is absolutely adorable!

30th August, 2008

Vanille Abricot by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Pookerella's right, about the cotton candy! Really, sweet vanilla is all, pure and simple. Not a frag for me...I much prefer my vanilla deeper, drier or much more embellished!

26 August, 2008

Baby Phat Seductive Goddess by Kimora Lee Simmons

My first impression of this fragrance is that it smells like a vanillic version of Victor & Rolf's Flowerbomb! After giving it some time to develop, it showed a more chypre side, giving a unisex edge to the blend, which I'll chalk up to it's dry version of patchouli! Strangely, I like it! I may (hmmmm, maybe) even buy a bottle...even though it looks a bit cheesy.

19 August, 2008

Cinéma Festival d'Été by Yves Saint Laurent

This fragrance is without a doubt genetically related to YSL's Elle - released in the same year. The main focus of this fruity floral are notes of peony and jasmine...wearing on the skin as the shy little sister of Elle, who is a bit more bold and outspoken! I'd love to know the perfumer here ~ if I were a gambler, I'd put my money on the same nose/noses that are credited with creating Elle! Cinema Festival d'Ete is a great choice for a lighter type frag, close wearing and fresh!

Love's True Bluish Light by Ava Luxe

This sensual fragrance begins in a very sweet, vanilla-ish manner ~ seeming at first a bit timid and fleeting...but just give LTBL a little time to mature on your skin and you'll be amazed at her tenacity. I could still clearly smell that gorgeous musk nearly 24 hours after application! It is soft, close wearing and stays fresh too. Comforting. Truly a polite and beautiful fragrance.

Vanille Passion / Vanille by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

As far as vanilla's go, this one's so-so. What I really smell here is cinnamon with vanilla, and it's sweet, like those cinnamon red-hot candies. Giving a neutral because I can't really think of an occassion when I'd like to smell like this! (Kind of low on the wearability scale!)

Éclat d'Arpège by Lanvin

I agree with Tovah in that Eclat d Arpege is along the lines of Scent of Peace and Light Blue... but the first association I made was Bvlgari's Omnia Crystalline. A transparent blend of flowers, wood and musk ~ light and refreshing. I adore Arpege, and this version comes accross very youthful and modern ~ extremely wearable!

01st August, 2008

Vent Vert (new) by Pierre Balmain

Well, purplebird7 and I are on the same page...bought this blindly...big mistake! The galbanum is short lived, morphing into a sickly sweet spicy scrubber. Wish I could have smelled the original...

01st August, 2008

Kelly Calèche by Hermès

I think Wordbird has put it best. To me, Kelly Caleche definitely smells like the inside of a used leather handbag that has picked up the scent of tissues, face powder, fruit gum, lipstick, and other assorted frivolities that may be carried by any woman with a purse! For a lighter, smoother leather fragrance my preference still runs toward Luten's Daim Blond. Worthy of a test spritz for sure!

28 July, 2008

Liù by Guerlain

I hate to be the party pooper here, but I'm not crazy about this Liu.
    It does have prominent aldehydic notes, likening it to Chanel's No.5, however, it is completely void of any sweetness. This is by far, the driest floral I've encountered. To my nose, it is more like Wind Song by Prince Matchabelli ~ a musty smelling frag. The drydown leaves me smelling...er...uh...not so fresh.

24 July, 2008

Lelong pour Femme by Lucien Lelong

The way I understand it, this 1999 version of Lucien Lelong pour Femme was re-worked from the 1950's original...which I have never smelled. Notes listed for this bold floral-oriental are:

mandarin, bergamot, magnolia, lilac, fig
    jasmine rose, tuberose, ylang ylang, iris
    variety of orchids
    sandalwood, vetiver, oakmoss, musk

Fully loaded with womanly glamour, this potion is powerful! I liken it's potency with that of Givenchy's Amarige or Dior's Poison. The orchid notes come across clearly, even though the rest of the bouquet is dominant. A bit "soapy" on my skin. I applaud this blend, but doubt if I would ever be excited to wear it.

22 July, 2008

Iris Poudre by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

My first thought upon sniffing Iris Poudre is "Wow, this smells just like Chanel's No.5!" After it settles, and the basenotes become more prominent, I agree 100% with Cedriceccentric who said: "If Chanel would have made a No.5 for men this is what it would have been like." I attribute the slightly masculine vibe to the tonka in the base - although it is quite obviously a unisex frag. A smooth, wearable aldehydic floral.

20th July, 2008

Vanille Exquise by Annick Goutal

Vanille Exquise is the loveliest amber vanilla I've smelled! So very "Shalimarish" ~ which is exactly what makes it sophisticated. At first, the vanilla does seem a bit thin (as far as vanillas go) but after a short time, the subtle amber notes make themselves known, warming on the skin, and combining exquisitely with the vanille! It does wear close to the skin ~ and it's heavenly!

16 July, 2008

Iris Silver Mist by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

From the very first sniff, Iris Silver Mist is all about the iris. I grow irises, and they need regular thinning. When the rhizomes (or 'roots') are dug up, fresh from the damp rich soil ~ this is what ISM smells like! Incredible! Earthy, moist and a bit vegetal. Soon, the powdery facet of this frag kicks in, accompanied by sweet violet. I love the distinct evolution this scent possesses. As it settles, the iris, earth and violets are grounded in spicy woods that slowly ease...calming into a magnifiscent base, which retains the best of each note within it's composition. It is luminous. Iris Silver Mist is so very worthy of a sampling...if not the whole bottle!

16 July, 2008

Leiber by Leiber

This lush floral is full bodied and potent! At first it's all fruity/floral madness, but when the roses kick in ~ the rest of the flowers in this bouquet perk up! The mid section of this lovely scent is making me think of Lauren's Romance. The florals here never give way; they hold my attention and then cleverly draw my nose into the decadent and rich base. The roses stay true and fresh, very womanly and gorgeous!

11th July, 2008

Vicolo Fiori by Etro

Very different...for my nose I perceive a green, lemony rose. It also smells wet. Strangely, it took a few wearings for me to decide that I like it...but it's just not a frag for me.

11th July, 2008

Pleasures Exotic by Estée Lauder

Pleasures Exotic is the fruity variation of the original. Since fruity notes are not among my most favorite, I'm still loving the original best. But, having said that, PE is one of the nicer spin offs I've experienced. The fruitiness is not too sweet (IMO), the florals and wooded base still shine through and hold true to their parent frag! I'll use my sample, but won't purchase a full bottle of this one. Oh yeah, my daughter gave my wrist a sniff and said, "...it smells like a hair product...".

10th July, 2008

Sensuous by Estée Lauder

A new scent from Estee Lauder that will surely appeal to the masses! This silky smooth fragrance is warm, sweetened amber in a creamy honeyed & peppery base that comes off as softly powdered musk...a skin scent for sure! It's almost got an addictive quality, compelling me to sniff and snorfle my arm where it's resting. (Hopefully, my husband will have the same reaction!) After a few years of pinkish-fruity-patchouli's, this scent is oh so welcome!

07 July, 2008

Hermèssence Poivre Samarcande by Hermès

Poivre Samarcande can be summed up in three words:

Smooth
    Peppery
    Dry

I love it on my husband! It's an obvious JCE creation, blended with exquisite craftmanship. Mr. Ellena really knows when to pour it on and when to use only the lightest touch. Thumbs up!

Bois et Musc by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Feminite du Bois with a healthy dose of soft musk! I actually liked this one better than 'fruits' & 'oriental' ~ still, my favorite in Luten's "Bois series" is Violette, but this one would suffice as a replacement - in a pinch.

Chêne by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

My husband does woodworking as a hobby, and this Chene is true to the fragrance of oak! Smells like oak boards being cut, sanded, etc. Original, authentic and attention getting. Nicely done!

Bois et Fruits by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

3 parts Feminite du Bois, 1 part Arabie.

Bois Oriental by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Purplebird7's got this one pegged! I would say it's 3 parts Feminite du Bois, 1 part Amber Sultan.