Reviews by ubuandibeme

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Féminité du Bois by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I'm with Sofresh on this one ~ FdB must be the biological mother of Lutens' entire "Bois series", they are virtually of the same genetics. For a dominantly woods fragrance, I was suprised how much I loved this one in the heat of summer! It's exquisite! I wish it were available for retail purchase here in the USA!

27th June, 2008

Azurée Soleil Eau Fraiche Skinscent by Estée Lauder

Truly a "skinscent", wearing extremely close to the body without noteable sillage. Nice for the beach or boat, but beyond that I don't see the point. Maybe if I layered it with the oil it would bloom better...

10th June, 2008

Olène by Diptyque

Olene is simply the most indolic frag I've ever experienced! Serge Lutens' A La Nuit is still my favorite, which just happens to be the perfect blend of indolic jasmine and touch of green for my taste, however this Olene is worthy too! Olene reminds me of the opening indolic phase of yet another Luten's - Sarrasins. Ink smell, for sure! (I guess some may think it more 'mothball' smelling, but not me.) Olene possesses a unique sweetness as well, which I personally find better suited to feminine wearers.
    If you like 'em bold - fragrant white flowers, heavy on the indoles - this one's not to be missed! Thumbs way up!

06th June, 2008

Oscar Citrus by Oscar de la Renta

I think this one is the orange bottle with the yellow cap...

At any rate, it is simply ~ Clinique's Happy.

Bright, fresh and youthful...but certainly not original.

05th June, 2008

F by Ferragamo by Salvatore Ferragamo

F by Ferragamo begins with a blast of candy sweetness, then settles into a lactonic symphony ~ in the back of my throat! Fortunately, it fades rather quickly. The base is weak. It leaves a dusty, stale smell like a cocktail table that has sticky-sweet-drink rings stuck to it, and it hasn't been cleaned in weeks. This frag is touted as a floral, with notes of rose, jasmine, etc...I'm not getting it.

04th June, 2008

Après L'ondée by Guerlain

I cannot say it any better than JaimeB! To his eloquent review I can only add how perfectly the aniseed note is presented ~ breathtaking! A timeless masterpiece that any perfume lover should seek out, sniff, marvel and appreciate!

30th May, 2008

Cèdre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Un Cedre is not pleasing to this Luten's fan. It opens WAY TOO SWEET ~ like the opening of MPG's Centaure, or Ted Lapidus in the grey bottle ~ actually makes me feel queazy. I don't get any tuberose or cedar wood. The drydown is powdery sweet, what I'd classify as oriental, but it's still a big NO for me!

Joy by Jean Patou

For me, Joy is initially very rosey, with a hint of jasmine. I really get an awesome civet tone from the pure parfum...exquisitely incorporated, only slightly fleshy/indolic, very, VERY nicely done! Presented with an almost soapy character, it is an exhuberantly gorgeous floral. Slightly dated, but absolutely a masterpiece!

Terracotta Voile d'Ete by Guerlain

I'm in agreement with most reviewers here...this is a lovely skin scent. Baked earth, spicy carnation, tinge of green (muguet???) Highly wearable. I prefer something sweeter, but this Guerlain is very underrated ~ give it a try for sure!

Deseo by Jennifer Lopez

I'm thankful Ayala reviewed this one, she is always articulate and detailed...for me, Deseo was suprisingly good. A beach scent is how I'd classify it, and it is extremely enjoyable to wear. Also, the bottle is much more attractive in person than in ads.

18th May, 2008

Jicky by Guerlain

I'll make this simple:

edt = citrus, lavender, oopoponax/tonka with vanilla.
    I enjoy it very much. My husband hates it.
    Fleeting in longevity.

18th May, 2008

Angel La Part des Anges by Thierry Mugler

The way I understand this Angel La Part des Anges is an aged re-worked version of Angel in extrait form. I've read that Francoise Caron toiled over this one, and that the aging process for this frag took 25 days. I'm not quite sure exactly what the "aging process" for extrait de parfum consists of, but the result is ever so sweet! And I do mean sweet. My first impression of the latest take on "Angel" is sweet chocolate, almost fruity and a bit 'boozy' in character. Burnt sugar carmel for sure! In comparison to the original extrait, which I tested side by side, the original has a more powdery and ethereal effect. The original also contains that glorious burst of patchouli that I adore! Both are smooth edged, creamy, dreamy delights! Angel is a masterpiece that has eluded me...at least until now...just my luck, I'll have to cough up the big bucks for an extrait version ~ which is the only way I enjoy this treasure! (On the plus side, just a slight dab lasts all day long. So my dollars may actually be well spent!)

17th May, 2008

Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

Trebor's review is wonderful, and I agree with him that this Guerlain is very "Luten-esque"! Spiritueuse Double Vanille has substance and depth yet remains sheer. The vanilla here is rich and smooth, with a note of pure sweet pipe tobacco complimented by the slightest bit of booziness and smoke. I too was taken by suprise, SDV is very easy to enjoy, and completely wearable by a man or woman.

16th May, 2008

Bois de Violette by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Aaaahhhhhh, this is scrumptious! Violet and wood. The violet here is absolutely succulent! It is deep, rich and dark (as opposed to bright/fresh/dewey). I actually salivate when smelling this Luten's masterpiece. It immediately reminds me of Dolce Vita - only better! The funny thing is, after reading Perfumes The Guide, I discover they are related! Bois de Violette pushes all the right buttons for me...including the woods blend, which does not strike me as dominantly cedar...it is crafted well and comes off as very wearable by either a man or woman. Maybe just a touch more feminine. In any case, I emptied my wallet for this one...and have not a single regret!

09th May, 2008

Le Baiser du Dragon by Cartier

I've tested the eau de toilette version, which may be why it comes off weak to my nose...never the less, it is not all that interesting. The cedar is prominently above the other notes, rendering them ineffective in this blend. I wish the jasmine was more than an accent here, as it is lost among the woods. (Cedar and vetiver.) I detect only a tinge of rose.
    I'll give this a neutral, until I re-test a more concentrated version...

06th May, 2008

Verte Violette by L'Artisan Parfumeur

A moist and fresh green paired with delicately sweet violet, mmmmmmmmmmmmm, it's lovely! This is one of my most favorite springtime floral frags. Despite it's cool freshness, it wears fairly close to the body, but lives a long life none the less! This is a L'Artisan boutique fragrance ~ only available in L'Artisan Parfumeur stand alone shops. It is worth seeking out, I believe I will always have a bottle of this in my wardrobe. Anne Flipo does fresh florals so well!

04th May, 2008

Belle en Rykiel by Sonia Rykiel

What a sleeper! This fancy little frag is simply fab! Heliotrope here gives Belle en Rykiel an uplifting, open/airy feel. Perfectly complimenting the rich base ~ which is reminiscent of Obsession, in a lighter and brighter way! When I sampled this one, my husband got a whiff and said, "Ooooh, what's that?!" He's not one to comment on fragrance unless his opinion is asked for....so I give Belle en Rykiel top honors for getting, and keeping, his attention! Thumbs up!

30th April, 2008

Tumulte by Christian Lacroix

This one's odd. The intensity of Tumulte is crazy...it is full speed ahead, at least for the first few hours! (Yep, this stuff lasts forever, in fact after 12 hours I can still detect it on my skin!) It comes off initially like hundreds of other fruity florals, yet it is strangely different. I cannot distinguish the individual notes, but likewise cannot compliment on the blending or harmonizing of this juice. My senses are overwhelmed, maybe even leaving my nose feeling like it's been assaulted...ultimately, Tumulte receives a thumbs down. It is un-wearable, and unappreciated on my skin. (*I also asked my husband to give it a sniff...he wrinkled his nose at it.)

30th April, 2008

Tocade by Rochas

Maurice Roucel is an outstanding perfumer, Tocade is excellent in composition. It is an oriental, with a powdery/vanilla kick. The notes are smoothly orchestrated. For a powdery vanilla, I find my taste runs more in the direction of Kenzo Amour. It is brighter in it's overall character...Tocade has more warmth, and would be better suited to a cool climate.

29th April, 2008

Rose de Nuit by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Wow, so many distinct impressions of this creation...for me, Rose de Nuit begins as a lush, velvety, fleshy, almost over-powering rose that kept my nose completely interested for at least a good 10 minutes or more. Then very slowly, the intense galbanum creeps into the limelight. It is green, and dark, becoming steely in the drydown. In smelling this fantastic rose fragrance, Chanel's no.19 kept coming to mind. I think they share alot between them, with Chanel's version as a bright rosy green chypre and Luten's a dark, more mysterious rose chypre. Very nicely done.

28th April, 2008

Tubéreuse Criminelle by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Vibert's commentary on this fragrance is stellar! A masterpiece indeed, but let me interject....

I will never wear this scent. It is not at all what I wish to smell like. A thumbs up though, as it merits applause!

28th April, 2008

Kenzo Amour by Kenzo

I'm not all that familiar with Kenzo fragrances. Kenzo Amour is a powdery sweet vanilla. At first, it comes off as an ultra feminine take on Bulgari Black. The vanilla powder has a certain "smokiness". I quite like it! It's not like anything else in my collection. Also resembling Montale's Sweet Oriental Dream - this Kenzo is extremely wearable and much preferred to the Montale. The balance is incredible, I don't get overwhelmed with any of the notes. If I could choose one word to describe this scent it would be 'harmony'.

25th April, 2008

The One by Dolce & Gabbana

Well, I'm in the middle on this one. A "medium" oriental/floral, opens with a fresh burst of fruitiness then drifts into a mild floral. Funny to read lillies in there, I cannot distinctly smell them. The heart notes are powdery sweet, then the base kicks in - which is what turns me off. It's kind of like Fresh's Sake. Something in it just sticks to the back of my throat. I'll give this one a neutral ~ but just barely.

23rd April, 2008

Beyond Paradise by Estée Lauder

While Luca Turin may be right about the composition of this blend being "technically tricky", and ultimately a masterpiece in composition...my nose tells me I don't want to smell like Beyond Paradise. No matter the level of difficulty in it's creation, when I sniff this juice it is slightly sharp, soapy, and a bit heavy on the peachy/apricot note. (I can also smell Tommy Girl.) True enough, BP holds it's shape and strength throughout it's entire lifespan, but if a floral symphony is what I desire, I'm more likely to head for Lauder's Beautiful...which is velvety smooth and more pleasing to my nose.

18th April, 2008

Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estée Lauder

Over the years, Estee Lauder has marketed some fantastic fragrances...Youth Dew, Cinnabar, White Linen, Pleasures, Beautiful, the list goes on endlessly. Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia is undoubtedly one of their finest! This is a high quality-high class floral! It holds it's own up against the likes of Carnal Flower (Editions-Frederic Malle created by Dominique Ropion). For comparative purposes I wore the two together for a side by side testing. Ultimately, CF - being straight forward tuberose, came off to me as decidedly more masculine than PCTG. PCTG possesses the authentic dewy sweetness of a delicate white gardenia flower, which in my opinion pushes this frag into the realm of femininity. Being a Lauder, I expected it to have a good amount of projection and staying power - I was not disappointed! A floral lover's dream, this is a must have - the bigger the bottle, the better!

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

THIS IS TUBEROSE! Carnal Flower is one of the most wearable flowers for men...not too sweet, it's actually quite stealth for a delicate flower! In fact, I prefer this one on a man, and suggest Estee Lauder's Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia for a woman. I would love to smell a groom wearing this CF (and his bride wearing ELPCTG!) what a garden wedding!

Jacinthe des Bois by L'Artisan Parfumeur

More jacinthe than bois here...this hyacinth is green, fresh and raw. Much like mother natures's own presentation! If I had less experience with florals, this one would captivate me, but since floral frags do entice this nose - I've smelled Luten's and been spoiled! I'm going to suppose that Anne Flipo created this lovely scent...as her signature is delicate, and I'm reading Jacinthe des Bois as such. If you are in the market for a light, fresh, authentic floral this shouldn't disappoint. This soliflore interpretation is along the same lines as Verte Violette - also from L'Artisan, which I prefer. Thumbs up for a springtime flower ~ well done!

Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

The "Celebutante". The girl who wears this is dolled up and looking for some attention! She chooses her clothing, shoes, hairstyle, handbag, cocktail and lipstick based upon who will be watching! Needless to say, a bit superficial, but still unique and well turned out - a sight of beauty to behold! I like this aldehydic candied rose, but Drole de Rose by L'Artisan comes off with a touch more class.

Shalimar Light by Guerlain

First off let me state I do not feel this is a 'watered down' version of the original Shalimar.

Opening with bergamot, this shape shifting beauty begins with the scent of lemony custard. Velvety smooth, bright and citrusy, with some vanilla in the backround...as this blend evolves I'm reminded of how Jean Nate used to smell, clean and bright. More time passes, the citrus dissolves, and the vanilla simmers up to the top. Here is where the "Guerlain" becomes unmistakeable. At this point in Shalimar Light's development, I can easily recognize the genetic match between this version and the original.
    I find this rendition to be quite a nice fragrance, extremely wearable and modern.

10th April, 2008

Bandit by Robert Piguet

I tested the edp with high expectations, only to crash and burn! This one lost it's punch on me after the first 5 minutes. It rapidly weakened into a sharp, non-descript eau de cologne...I did'nt hate it, but I didn't enjoy it either.

10th April, 2008