Reviews by Notreveh

Notreveh's avatar
    Notreveh
    Brazil Brazil

Chêne by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The fragrance has an woody opening chord mixed with notes of rum, giving a semi sweet tone to the fragrance, which in my opinion, is fantastic!

After a few hours, rum aroma gives way to a more resinous scent followed by oak which persists to the end. It lasted 12 hours on my skin.

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Tea for two opens with a dominant chord of black tea, such as Gucci Pour Homme II, but more intense, richer, along with some cinnamon and a floral chord (star anise?) That although not in the notes, I can feel.

And so it continues, giving more space for a smoky and dense chord in the course of time, but by no means overwhelming.

At the base notes then we have the emergence of honey which mixed with the aroma of black tea, gives a sensational chord to the fragrance.

Anyway, very nice! An adult version of the Gucci Pour Homme II.

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

New Haarlem opens up with a slightly citrus flavor, guaranteed by bergamot (which lasts no longer than 5 minutes), accompanied by a dominance of strong dry coffee, like in A* Men Pure Coffee, not creamy as in Comptoir Sud Pacifique Vanille Mock.

In the meantime, lavender appears very lightly, but it only gives a hello and that's it, then it moves sideways (thankfully).

Over time, the aroma of coffee decreases, and the scent goes close to the skin. Then appears verrrrry light, a vanilla note giving a nice chord to the scent.

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Briefly, this fragrance smells like public bathroom, specifically gas station bathroom. Horrible! In the initial spray it almost kills me for being so strong. Over time it gets softer, giving more room for floral notes, but remains terrible. Anyway, I washed it after 30 minutes on my skin!

Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

Despite the complex name, the scent starts with a chord of sweet vanilla, but with a very particular herbal touch. And so it remains for about 1 hour...

After this time the vanilla actually takes its place in the perfume, living up to its name and remains so until the end. But it is not a vanilla screaming in your face. It is a very soft and tasty one.

It is a very nice scent, but not worth the price they charge, in my opinion. I agree with a guy who said" perfect for those who found Tobacco Vanille too strong."

Oh, and longevity is excellent, even though it is a soft fragrance.

Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès

Ambre Narguilè, belonging to the luxury collection called Hermessence, from Hermes, begins with a strong aroma of honey with a touch of cinnamon. SENSATIONAL!

Over time, honey decays giving space to a slightly incensed tone, with a dominance of a note not mentioned, tobacco. Again ... SENSATIONAL!

And so the scent lasts for it's entire lifetime (which by the way is huge).

It is a fragrance that looks much like Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, but without the vanilla giving the gourmand touch, although the honey in here, is always present. A fragrance that is more like a food than a perfume itself, in my opinion! A warm, rich aroma, perfect for low temperatures. A real masterpiece from Jean-Claude Ellena.

Kouros Fraîcheur by Yves Saint Laurent

This one was hard to review. I just know that it opens with a very strong citrus tone, fading over time to a more dated soapy smell. After 5 hours, the smell was kind good, but I cannot imagine using it yet. In an older gentleman, this one would be an excellent choice.

Kouros fraicheur has an indisputable quality factor into it, I do not deny that.

Aventus by Creed

Creed Aventus begins with an explosion of fruity notes, especially pineapple, remembering very much the opening of Lacoste Essential Sport, but of course, without the synthetic side.

Over time the scent acquires a certain sweet tone, vanilla maybe .. but nothing very obvious, at least not on me.

Anyway, an excellent fragrance with a pretty variable longevity.

Black Cashmere by Donna Karan

Classified as a feminine scent (which I completely disagree with), Black Cashmere opens up with a dominant burned woody smell,(I do smell incense, although not listed in the notes) mixed with an evident spicy tone of saffron and nutmeg.

The scent lasts for about 30 minutes, and soon after that, goes down giving more space to a white pepper note. Longevity on this one is very good.

A*Men Pure Coffee by Thierry Mugler

Opens up with a pure dry coffee note, right in your face, and minutes later the scent almost completely disappears, getting close to the skin.

Héritage by Guerlain

Heritage EDP is a fragrance that in the initial spray, seems to be a work from the 80's. Overloaded, dense!

A scent based on the chypre theme, a citrus, slightly floral with a ruthless/intense animal chord of musk! Be careful to not use it and left the house 5 minutes later. People will look you strange.

Over time the scent will lose a little bit of this feature, giving space to a very dry vanilla. Lasting 10+ hours on my skin

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Extreme by Guerlain

This fragrance opens up with a delicious citric chord that persists for about 5 minutes at most, serving only as a taste of what lies ahead, or better, playing a joke on who is using it for the very 1st time, since after this period, the scent completely changes!

We now have the appearance of gourmands chords that will persist until the end of the fragrance.

On me, L'Instant extreme appears as a slightly powdery vanilla, being accompanied by notes of chocolate, due to the presence in the perfume of cocoa. Anyway, this combination gives the fragrance a delicious smell. Just incredible.

Overall, an excellent fragrance, with an also excellent longevity. A must buy for anyone who appreciates a well done gourmand.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Intense by Issey Miyake

L'eau D'Issey Intense, is intense only in the first 10 or 20 minutes, where there is an explosion of fruity aromas mixed with some delicate floral notes. After this time, the scent is close to the skin. It is much like the original version, but here, the smell of Frankincense provides a darker, why not, more masculine smell, unlike its predecessor that in my view, was completely unisex.

Anyway, L'eau D'Issey Intense is a good choice for someone who liked the original but felt it needed a deeper tone in the formula.

V pour Homme by Valentino

A very sweet and linear fragrance, with a tasty fruity opening, resembling strawberries (too synthetic by the way). Over time the scent will lose a bit of it's fruit chord, giving space to amber and vanilla.

Five O'Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A mix of spices with a touch of honey and ginger. Delicious? Yes, but I would not buy it as a first SL fragrance. The house have a lot of fragrances better than this one (no, I'm not saying this one is bad, it isn't just as good as Chergui, for example)... lasts an eternity by the way...

Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels

The EDP version has a very powdery smell into it, making this a unisex fragrance, in my opinion.

Here, in the opening, we have a semi sweet chord mixed with some floral notes that through time gets me in a very lightly leather tone, dominated by a creamy note, probably tonka bean. The fragrance is fine but not my taste...

Ambre Gris by Pierre Balmain

Starts out very sweet, very tasty, with a cinnamon note mixed with a very light myrrh. Over time the fragrance will gain a dominance of amber with an aroma followed by Musk.
    A very good fragrance, definitely geared for cold climates. Makes a good gift for a girlfriend.

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

I absolutely love this fragrance. A complete masterpiece in my opinion!

Just making things short: honey, vanilla and tobacco never were so good on my skin, and this combination stays and projects forever!

A MUST TRY for anyone who loves sweet fragrances.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

This review is based on the old formula, not the new one with less iris. (If you don't now which one you have, just look to the "straw" that hide the spray tube which is no longer silver, but black)

On my skin, Dior Homme is all about makeup smell. From top to base I only get this crayon vibe, sadly. I know it was a masterpiece, but what can I do? I just don't like lipstick smell... perhaps this new formula will attract me better.

Vanille Mokha / Vanille Café by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Smells like cappuccino! Hahahaha. What a delicious scent! You're paying exactly for what the name of the fragrance says! Be careful, this one makes your mouth water just because it is so creamy.

Andy Warhol Lexington Avenue by Bond No. 9

This one, I found much more to the feminine side, I do not think I could pull it off. I'm finding the smell of Lexington Avenue a little bit confusing with a strange mix that reminds me of those air fresheners. Fruit/spicy/floral aroma all mixed togheter, specially with an opening granted by pear that is very good. (Don't get me wrong, overall it isn't a bad fragrance AT ALL!!)

Saks Fifth Avenue for Him by Bond No. 9

I will speak today about a fragrance from the Maison Bond No. 9, which all fragrances are inspired by New York city, where beauty shines through the presentation of the bottles, all in star shapes with specific decorations to each fragrance. But I will speak more specifically about Saks Fifth Avenue for Him,
    created by Michael Almairac and released in 2007.

On my skin, the fragrance begins with plenty of freshness guaranteed by bergamot, dominating the beginning of the fragrance. Chili, Black Pepper, on top, as Basenotes says? Not on my skin! Sorry Basenotes, you're wrong. After about 10 ~ 15 minutes, bergamot decays a bit, making the cardamom to become noticeable, however subtly, serving as an excellent transition from the fresh tone from the beginning, to a slightly sweet-woody tone (yes, sweet, but for just few minutes, believe me) guaranteed by a mixture of woody aroma mixed with a light incense which stands out more and more from the dry-down, thereby decreasing the semi-sweet aroma, now leading to a more comfortable level as time goes on, remaining that way until the end.

An excellent casual scent. Perfect for those who likes the suit and jeans style.

In my opinion, the perfect day by day scent for a successful business man that is not so focused on a formal dress. A pleasant classy and versatile smell that offends no one.

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Jubilation XXV, created by Bertrand Duchaufour, begins with a fruity tone. Blackberry? Raspberry? certainly, but as if they were in the form of dried fruit, or something. It is a fruity tone mixed with honey, having as background, a note that already stands out from the beginning, and that over time will only increase its role in the fragrance, frankincense. Is at that moment that it brings me back my childhood memories!

I've been somewhat familiar enough with frankincense, since childhood, where I was present in all those masses and catechism, cribs and sacristies.

But in Jubilation XXV we do not have a heavy incense as the ones used in religious grounds, such as in Avignon from CdG, but a lighter and much easier to use, giving the right versatility to this fragrance.

And so this scent continues until the end, showing a touch of woody and floral as well. Anyway, the fragrance is a luxury, perfect for special occasions.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

M7 on my skin starts with a very nice woody opening chord. But when times goes on, it changes for a sort of medicinal semi-sweet smell where musc and amber takes place. I don't like it. It is not for my taste.

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

Very nice projection and longevity on this fragrance that is heavy on it's composition, but to my surprise gets along very well with the skin, giving the feeling of something spicy in the beginning, which is consistent with the fragrance's proposal(they call the top notes electric attraction)

Over time the fragrance is became somewhat darker, intimate yet dark, probably due to the leather. This leather mixed with cedarwood gives the fragrance a sexy tone, persisting until the end.

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

Fierce is in the middle ground between Allure Homme Sport and Platinum Egoiste. At first, there are some citrus notes like in Allure homme sport. Over time Fierce starts to become much like a teenager version of Platinum Egoiste, but with a heavier dose of musk.

Certainly, in my eyes, it was a fragrance made aiming the younger crowd, especially teenagers. The sort of fragrance that will make the young girls of today get all bristly hahahahaha. I felt inside a store shopping, using this perfume.

oh, and longevity was about eight hours.

Déclaration by Cartier

My fourth contact with a fragrance created by Jean-Claude Ellena, and what I have say after all this contact? That Ellena definitely leaves it's signature in all his creations!

I noticed that all the fragrances I've tried, and which were created by this master, follows a light trend. Transparent, harmless, so to speak! Always with that note that reminds me of a refreshing breeze on a day of intense heat.

Déclaration follows this same line. At first I detected a certain similarity with Terre d'Hermes, regarding the notes of orange, but it disappeared on me like a flash, and what remained from start to finish of the was a certain note of mango that is not the olfactory pyramid, accompanied by tobacco (which sadly made me sell it, since I was getting too much headache).

Longevity? Surprisingly high! A fresh fragrance for daily use on hot climates that stands on skin forever.

Projection? Very good as well.

Eau Parfumée au Thé Blanc by Bulgari

A unisex fragrance that in my view should be classified as a feminine.

At the beginning we have a dominance of Artemisia leaves, a delicate aroma, pleasant.

After about 15 minutes the heart notes begin to appear, where Artemisia decays (not completely) and white tea begins to dominate, accompanied by a very subtle white pepper, giving the scent a spicy and sweet tone. But it still remains a delicate fragrance.

At the base they list musk, but I did not feel even a little of it on my skin.

Projection? Almost zero, is a soft fragrance, delicate, which is close to the skin from start to finish

Longevity? 3 hours after using it, the smell practically disappeared.

cK one Summer 2008 by Calvin Klein

Calvin Klein is very famous for launching every year, different versions of the traditional cK One summer line. However, the difference is that they change the composition of the fragrance from year to year, not just the bottle design, like some other companies do!

On Ck One Summer 2008, we have a very pleasant smell. The scent begins with a very nice tone that mixes watermelon and cucumber in a way that seems to be taking a nice juice of these two ingredients in a hot day, while sitting in a place surrounded by mint leaves exuding a discreet aroma in the environment.

And so this smell stays on my skin until the end. I did not feel any cardamom as described in the olfactory pyramid.

Longevity was about 5 hours.

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

After the initial spray, I felt myself at a fair, with those green mangoes for sale in one hand, while on the other hand a vendor was selling vegetables, sat next to someone who was selling flowers, especially Lotus Flower! Fantastic!

Then, I felt transported to my house, surrounded by a garden, while inside, in another room, someone lit incense that slowly begins to take care of the house with a very pleasant aroma!

A masterpiece created by Jean-Claude Ellena. A subtle scent, without the necessity of self-affirmation.