Reviews by Notreveh

Notreveh's avatar
    Notreveh
    Brazil Brazil

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

Chinatown, considered a unisex scent, has sensational opening!

This one starts with a sweet/velvety tone guaranteed by peach blossom, accompanied by the delicious aroma of gardenia and tuberose, which over time develops into a gourmand smell, with the emergence of a delicate vanilla, acting only as an adjunct to the floral notes that persist until the end of the fragrance, where the woody tones appears, such as sandalwood, thereby removing a bit of the feminine touch at the beginning and middle that dominates the fragrance.

Finally, a pleasant surprise! I've never been to New York neither Chinatown! But after sampling this scent, I had a great desire! hahahah

Opus I by Amouage

Opus I starts out with a blast of cardamom followed by a hint of jasmine, that trough time, gets higher and higher, leaving us in the heart, with a fragrance totally devoted to the floral aspect, where jasmine is mixed with other floral notes.

At the base, we then have the appearance of woody notes and a hint of incense, serving as a balance between the intense feminine aspect at the top and heart, and this masculine aspect at the base. Anyway, not worth the price tag.

Maroussia by Slava Zaitsev

Maroussia starts out with a floral soapy vibe. Remembers those "old" fashionable soaps where the smell was all about flowers? Well, that's the kind of smell we get when first applying this fragrance. After some time, we will get a blast of flowers (sorry, I can't distinguish between them) and at the final stage of this fragrance, we have musk and some other animal derived notes.

Chaos by Donna Karan

Chaos is all about Spices. This one starts with a blast of coriander mixed with saffron, (but it isn't strong, on the contrary, it is a light spicy smell). and this combination goes on and on.

At the end, we then have something resembling a leather note mixed with a hint of musk.

Epic Man by Amouage

Epic opens with an explosion of exotic spices (especially cardamom and saffron)combined with the characteristic aroma of Aoud. An almost medicinal aroma, resembling the original M7.

An opulent and indeed puzzling opening, especially by the presence of a mild citrus chord, probably due to the berries essence . Over time,frankincense appears then giving the fragrance, a greater depth and higher density. Anyway, another work of art from Amouage.

Azzaro pour Homme Elixir by Azzaro

Azzaro Elixir was a pleasant surprise! This one starts out with a dominant fruity/Sweet smell. A blast of lavender followed by fruits that trough times, gives space to a dominant vanilla/tonka bean chord, and so, the fragrance stays this way, until the end.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with this one, specially because it is a cheap fragrance, if you don't like it, the damage won't be much.

Les Nuits d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

This one it's an elegant citrus fragrance that can be worn without any problem, in a hot/humid country.

It starts out with a blast of citrus notes. A lot of mandarin combined with the acidness from bergamot, a very pleasant smell, not too harsh.

As time goes by, the herbal/semi-sweet tone starts to appear, leaving behind the strong citrus opening. Staying so, as a comforting and easy to wear fragrance.

L'Échange by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Shortly after applying this one, I got an evident sweet orange smell, but it lasts seconds on my skin, giving space to a dominant aroma of pink pepper accompanied by a slight incense (at this point, I was about to give this one, a neutral score).

After about 30 minutes, pepper decreases slightly in intensity, leaving the sweet fruity aroma free to show up again, thereby achieving the exact balance between pepper and sweet notes without being too heavy or too subtle, even with the amber note at the base.

Metalys / Metallica by Guerlain

Metallica, now called Metalys, due to copyright issues that were confronting the band Metallica, as a friend in here already said, has an opening that goes exactly against his name.

This one starts with a metallic tone, present only in old collectible non polished objects, (very well observed by a person here) which trough time, mixes with carnation, giving the typical feminine floral aspect aspect to this fragrance.

But in my view, the highlight of this fragrance is in the base. After about five hours, we then have a complete aromatic change, with the appearance of iris followed by a soft vanilla tone that reaches an almost creamy aspect, thanks to tonka bean which also makes its appearance.

14 August, 2011

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

To Frederic Malle, it has always been inconceivable the fact that the general public believes that celebrities creates their own fragrances.And taking this as an initial premise, he decided to bring together the leading perfumers of our time, responsible for the biggest releases in the fragrance market, providing for each of them, unlimited time and resources. without any kind of pressure, ie, total freedom, with a single goal: The aim of creating the "Editions de Parfums" collection.

Musc Ravageur is a direct product of this idea. Created by perfumer Maurice Roucel and released in 2000, the fragrance includes notes on your pyramid that would be common in fresh scents, like bergamot and lavender, while it includes oriental notes such as clove and cinnamon.

And it's with this brief introduction that I start the review of this niche perfume that I personally was most anxious to try. While reading / watching reviews online, I was amazed with such passion that this perfume was analyzed, always with praise and more praise.

On my skin, right after the first spray, I felt an explosion of clove dominating the beginning of the perfume (with an almost whispering musc). Lavender and bergamot? Not on me! Maybe I blinked at the moment and the notes come and gone with this facility.

And this was when I already impatient, became disappointed with the scent. Damn, Is this what is pleasing to everyone right now? What a pity ... but that first impression do not bring me down, I saw people saying that anyone who could "survive" the first hour of this perfume, would be greeted with a fantastic aroma, and it was with this thought
    in mind, that I decided to take time to smell...

And damn, they were telling the truth! After about 1h~1h:30min, the scent on my skin took a sensational transformation! Now on the dry-down, the cloves fell so absurd, giving the fragrance a vanilla tone, accompanied by a smell somewhat resembling to a creamy scent, secured by tonka bean (but nothing glaring) and some chord that brings me a subtle chocolate.

And this feeling continues until the end of the fragrance, which by the way takes a long time to exit the skin. Excellent longevity and a great projection!
    And so here I finish my first experience with Musc Ravageur, a perfume that as many have said before, and I HAVE to agree, can be described as "Sexy in a bottle". Musc Ravageur is the personification of the proverb "do not judge a book by its cover" becoming reality.
    A delicious perfume, targeted to mature people. Something college and up I would say.

01st February, 2011 (Last Edited: 29 April, 2011)