Reviews by Vegas

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Not bad. Went from a thumbs up to a neutral. Dry incense, woods and some dried fruits. Does't have the same boldness as other Amouages. Slight similarity to Jo Malones Pomegranate Noir.
03rd May, 2013

Dunhill Signature by Dunhill

I find that the lemon tends to linger and gives an unusual contrast (a nice tang) to the musk base. I have to admit that contrast did not sit well with me at first. It reminded me of pledge a bit too much. It took two or three wearings to finally become comfortable with this scent. A warm sweet musk emerges that would be best to wear on a cool day or a warmer night. A good fragrance but not one of my favorites, I will actually wear Live Jazz more than this (even though I don't think it's better) because I think it's more unique and I have other musks that I prefer over this. Overall it's good but I would spend my money elsewhere.

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

The cucumber and basil give the fragrance the nicest (almost guaranteed to not offend) water scent I've smelled. Perfectly casual and despite what others say, distinctive. Very nice on a warm summer day. I think it needs to be about 10 dollars cheaper and it would be perfect. I can't detect any wood in this one, just the basil at the end and cucumber. Receives many compliments every time I wear it. Overall, I figure this to be a mild and clean aquatic with the best take on a "blue" fragrance I've tried. Also, this is definitely a daytime scent, although it would work at night as well. Longevity is a bit below average, lasting about 3-4 hours and staying closer to the skin. You might want to take some with you in case you need to freshen up.

Jeans Couture Man by Versace

I picked this up for a song and figured what the heck? The fragrance is a bit light on the skin and doesn't really make it's prescence known. I find myself comparing this to Armani Mania for some reason, maybe it's the mandarin leaves with vetiver and musk. The mid notes seem to be hiding somewhere between the top and bottom notes, I can't seem to pick them out easily, though they are probably the ones which sweeten and help lighten up the heavy basenotes. Overall, it reminds me of wearing a nice suit, yet I don't see this fragrance as being formal, go figure. Considerably softer than Dreamer, Jeans Couture doesn't have that certain accord which makes Dreamer not sit right with me (sage maybe?). Pleasant, but I would rather wear mania. Since I have both I hardly wear this.

Reaction for Men by Kenneth Cole

Rather fruity and sweet throughout the drydown, I think Reaction gets a bad rep for being Kenneth Cole. This is KC's best so far and gets many compliments from the other sex. The topnotes don't fade as much as I would expect and the basenotes are sweetened as a result. Longevity is not a problem with me ( I have slightly dry skin) and a normal application will last about 4-5 hours on me; with a heavier touch, 6-7 hours, although I would suggest waiting at least 35 mins before going out because the topnotes are very loud. A rather playful/casual scent that I wear around lady friends to get easy compliments and despite the overwhelming fruity notes never becomes too cloying.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

I find this fragrance to be heavy on the amber and sandalwood with a bit of patchouli by the time it comes off the skin. Before that, however, I find the mix in the mid notes with the clove and nutmeg most pleasant and (along with other notes I cannot detect, though probably the basenotes) giving it a gourmand quality. I mainly associate this with my father(who now also greatly enjoys Claiborne Sport BTW) seeing as this was his signature scent for years. Giving it as unbiased a sniff as possible I can really see enjoying this on my skin. The problem is that it teeters on being too loud ( mainly the musk amber drydown) on my skin. I'll wear this one once a month, maybe.

Nautica Classic by Nautica

Pleasant, but not at all unique or catchy in any way. I picked this up as a packaged deal with Tricorn (which is marvelous) and found it to be a cheapie that would best be suited to de-stink yourself after the gym if you don't want to waste any of your treasured fragrances. Longevity is a bit below average. Overall reactions from other people is that it is nice but not deserving of compliments. An interesting mix on paper between the top and mid notes, but winds up appearing as a rather plain, fresh scent with a slightly powdery background. Probably a fragrance suited for a teenager as one of their first fragrances, much as CK one is in my opinion. Very non-offensive and overall a decent fresh fragrance.

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Definitely the type of fragrance you would want to wear on a hot day. The iced mint is present from initial contact with the skin until drydown. From the top notes, you will find the lemon giving a nice tart spin on the mint. The grapefruit and rhubarb meld nicely together, although I don't find this scent evolving a great deal on my skin, the only real change including a nice mellow drydown to the vanilla and cedar base ( I can still easily detect the mint). My first fragrance added to my collection which was totally unique. I still haven't smelled anything like it. While not one of my real favorites, it still has a saved place in my cabinet. Overall, pleasant & unique because of the prominent mint note.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Although it hurts to say, to the initial blast of GIT is similiar to Cool Water, and to the unkeen nose, the rest of the drydown can be mistaken for it. I think the two are worlds apart when the drydown begins and the quality of GIT really shines when the two are compared side by side. The Creed house note (probably ambergris) is present throughout and is much nicer when moving from citrus to floral to woody than any transition to be found in Cool Water. I do find that GIT is lacking a bit in the longevity department (it will disappear within 3-4 hrs) a little heavier application will probably last a good 5-6 hours if not more. Maybe a bit too green for some, but I find GIT perfectly sharp and refined, definitely worth the (discounted)price.

Claiborne Sport by Liz Claiborne

My father's current favorite (his last favorite was Obsession), because he found it "spicy yet fresh". Initially I can detect a strong sage note softened by other herbs, mainly lavender. I don't really find this to my liking, I would prefer Polo Blue to this any day, mainly because I like either the sweeter light frags or the heavier, musky ambers and tobaccos. Now my brother has found this to his liking and bought a bottle of his own, yet the fragrance brings a herbal collection that doesn't sit well with me. The scent comes off as too sharp (with herbs)to my nose. The drydown is nicer with the woods bringing a softer touch to the herbs until the fragrance wears off, which will be about 6-8 hours. This one will stay with you all day.

Baie de Genièvre by Creed

I have to say that this is among the more unusual Creeds with the juniper berry blending with the cinnamon to give a pleasant spice effect. This is a fragrance I find myself sniffing from the bottle or applying a small amount to my arm and sniffing that more often than I actually apply for a full wearing. Gin drinkers and martini lovers might find this one especially nice. By the time the dry down comes around the fragrance develops a cleaner vibe, probably from the vetiver. A scent that fits in nicely with an evening out or a cold, overcast day. Longevity is a bit above average and projects nicely without being too loud on my skin. A regular in my rotation.